Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why did this buffalo get a 65 grade, beats me?

BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would this buffalo nickel get a 65 grade? Seems to me that it would have to have degraded in the slab after it was graded, and then sealed? Would a group of professional graders looking at this coin as it is give it a GEM grade? I know that if I was looking to buy a gem of this coin I would pass on this one in a heart beat. I could only give it a 63 because of all the reverse “chatter” marks or whatever else you want to call it.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Comments

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a tough photo for me to interpret. Looks sketchy though.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must be post slab issues.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photo looks like picture taken out of slab reverse and inslab obverse. Like two different coins. Are these your pics or sellers or someone elses?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

I have seen Jefferson Proofs with that grade with basically identical "spotting".

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's splotchy toning.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the very rare Buffalo in a Dust Storm variety!!!! ;)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea, I wouldn't want to pay 5 money for it.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2019 4:36PM

A technical 65 with unattractive reverse toning.

But the real question: 'Will it sticker?' >:)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could live with a few black specs, but pretty sure that type of toning would be etched into surface? That can't be conserved...can it?

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is most probably one of two things: a bad alloy mix or more likely struck from rusted dies.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are called "Flyspecks." They are tiny flecks of corrosion commonly found on coins with a nickel composition.
    IMO, they were on the coin when it was graded. That's all I will say. :wink:

They are easily removed. Unfortunately, if that is done, the black specks turn to gray specks that are etched into the coin's surface.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

It just needs a bug bomb to clear away all those flies from around the Bison.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sneeze?

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion it's a problem coin that should reside in a "genuine" holder. The specks are going to haunt whomever owns the coin.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Technical grade doesn't always mean pretty.

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

It's definitely buried in that slab, unless sent in to PCGS for conservation.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Staircoins said:

Over the years, I’ve seen many Proof Buffalo nickels graded PR64 and higher with that appearance. It’s highly unlikely that they could benefit from conservation.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Staircoins said:

Over the years, I’ve seen many Proof Buffalo nickels graded PR64 and higher with that appearance. It’s highly unlikely that they could benefit from conservation.

A shame.

It is your opinion then Mark, that these spots are an artifact of the production process? The packaging?

There must be some commonality.

• Options

@Staircoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Staircoins said:

A shame.

It is your opinion then Mark, that these spots are an artifact of the production process? The packaging?

My guess is that it’s due to packaging and/or environmental conditions.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Staircoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Staircoins said:

A shame.

My guess is that it’s due to packaging and/or environmental conditions.

Thank you.

• Options

as Insider said, they are seen on Nickel coinage, from my observation from this era in particular. I have seen several 1941 Proof Jefferson Nickels with these spots. they are similar to "Tin pest" that can be seen on some medals(white metal/tin). I tend to think it is somehow linked to the manufacturing process or the planchets, if it was packaging or environmental it seems that there would be more of them. the worst I saw was a 1940 R.38 Proof Jefferson Nickel in a nice Proof Set.

I think PCGS understands what the cause is and grades them accordingly.

• Options

@keets said:
    as Insider said, they are seen on Nickel coinage, from my observation from this era in particular. I have seen several 1941 Proof Jefferson Nickels with these spots. they are similar to "Tin pest" that can be seen on some medals(white metal/tin). I tend to think it is somehow linked to the manufacturing process or the planchets, if it was packaging or environmental it seems that there would be more of them. the worst I saw was a 1940 R.38 Proof Jefferson Nickel in a nice Proof Set.

I think PCGS understands what the cause is and grades them accordingly.

Curiously, why would you expect to see more of them if it’s due to packaging or environmental conditions, but not if it’s due to the manufacturing process or the planchets?

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Why did this buffalo get a 65 grade..."

Because it crossed the road - to get away from the guy who was sneezing.

[Mirror proof or not, it's hard to imagine anyone paying money for that -- maybe barter for something?]

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flyspecs and does not effect the grade. It does, however, effect
    the eye appeal and I’d pass everyday on this coin because of the nasty eye appeal it displays.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@crazyhounddog said:
    the eye appeal and I’d pass everyday on this coin because of the nasty eye appeal it displays.

Sorry, but I must disagree. Flyspecks can and often do affect the grade. And, as eye-appeal is a consideration in a coin’s grade, if eye-appeal is affected, the grade can be affected, along with it.

• Options

Curiously, why would you expect to see more of them if it’s due to packaging or environmental conditions, but not if it’s due to the manufacturing process or the planchets

if it was happening during striking or if it was a planchet problem I would expect some QC intervention, the result being an elimination of the problem or a limitation of the problem.

if it is anything post-strike there's nothing that can be done. in that event, I would expect a high percentage of the issues to suffer if the packaging was the same.

• Options

@keets said:
    Curiously, why would you expect to see more of them if it’s due to packaging or environmental conditions, but not if it’s due to the manufacturing process or the planchets

if it was happening during striking or if it was a planchet problem I would expect some QC intervention, the result being an elimination of the problem or a limitation of the problem.

if it is anything post-strike there's nothing that can be done. in that event, I would expect a high percentage of the issues to suffer if the packaging was the same.

Thanks.

• Options

Mark, I don't know if I'm right or not or if that even makes sense, it's just how I reasoned it out. also, I don't recall seeing this on Proof dates after 1941.

• Options

@keets said:
    Mark, I don't know if I'm right or not or if that even makes sense, it's just how I reasoned it out. also, I don't recall seeing this on Proof dates after 1941.

That makes us even, as I don’t know if what I think about storage and environment being the cause is right, either.😉

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    These are called "Flyspecks." They are tiny flecks of corrosion commonly found on coins with a nickel composition.

They are easily removed. Unfortunately, if that is done, the black specks turn to gray specks that are etched into the coin's surface.

Is this active, as in continuing to get worse?

• Options

Please remember, don't hate the messenger and I'm just using these posts to add my opinion.

@jmlanzaf said:
    Technical grade doesn't always mean pretty.

It is very clear to me that hardly anyone knows what A TRUE TECHNICAL GRADE (as used by its developers ) actually is. We can thank the ANA for that.

Technical grading allows one to have a pretty good idea of a coin's condition and it does not change as long as the coin remains in the same condition. Therefore the technical grade for this nickel (converted to modern times) is not
    MS-65. Since the image shows virtually no marks, spot, or hairlines, its technical grade would be in the PR-67 or higher - COMMA FLYSPECKS. Take away the corrosion spots and the coin's technical grade would be PR-67 or higher from the image.

@crazyhounddog said:

Eye appeal is the combination of all the factors that go into grading. Therefore, anything we do to a coin will affect its eye appeal up or down (grade).

@Zoins said:

@Insider2 said:

Is this active, as in continuing to get worse?

Flyspecks are a corrosion product. In the right environment, they will get worse. Sealed in a slab, probably not in our lifetime. Sell it or trade it.

• Options

@keets said:

I will politely disagree. Consider milk spots. One prevailing theory is that they are due to planchet preparation but don't immediately show up. Why couldn't fly specs have a similar origin: some planchet defect or contamination that darkens later?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such a nasty manifestation on a truly nice Buffalo nickel.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dare say that the coin developed those spots after it went into the slab. If they were there when the coin was graded ....

All you have to do is sneeze, cough or speak over one these coins, and this can happen.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

RE: "They are easily removed. Unfortunately, if that is done, the black specks turn to gray specks that are etched into the coin's surface."

Then what has happened is damage, and the coin would be ungradeable.

• Options

@RogerB said:
    RE: "They are easily removed. Unfortunately, if that is done, the black specks turn to gray specks that are etched into the coin's surface."

Then what has happened is damage, and the coin would be ungradeable.

You could say the same about toning. Removing it does not leave the surface unaffected. By your standards, all toned coins would be damaged and upgradeable.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@keets said:

I will politely disagree. Consider milk spots. One prevailing theory is that they are due to planchet preparation but don't immediately show up. Why couldn't fly specs have a similar origin: some planchet defect or contamination that darkens later?

@RogerB said:

Then what has happened is damage, and the coin would be ungradeable

I believe the flyspecks were on the coin when graded. I say this because it takes time to turn them black and eat into the coin. This is an image of a Proof nickel with what I believe to be an "organic growth." These are white and will come right off with acetone. As I remember, the coin is from the 20th century but I did not record its date. Given time, I'll bet they corrode the surface.

• Options

No....only if there was a perceivable change. But, all but the lightest tarnish leaves a chloride or sulfide residue.

• Options

Living things have to "eat." What would they eat in the coin's field that is not on the frost? Or -- do we "ugly bags of mostly water" just not see them? Crystals can "grow" in a similar manner usually following fractile descriptions.

• Options

I wonder what the microbes on asteroids eat? I've read that bacteria eat almost anything.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

While the "organic growth" on the nickel above looks like it could be mineral in nature, the original Buffalo has a texture more reminiscent of dust. A sneeze (or any liquid) would leave rounded droplets.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rare and elusive sneeze-spray variety. Pre-antihistamine era.

• Options

@RogerB said:
    No....only if there was a perceivable change. But, all but the lightest tarnish leaves a chloride or sulfide residue.

Try to remove any tarnish from a copper coin...

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    I wonder what the microbes on asteroids eat? I've read that bacteria eat almost anything.

I don't believe any microbes have ever been found on asteroids

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Insider2 said:

I don't believe any microbes have ever been found on asteroids

LOL, The ones that were imaged were fossilized! The live ones are still up there.

• Options

since I have owned coins with a similar appearance, submitted them to PCGS and had them straight grade I will say that it is almost 100% that this coin looked like that prior to grading and it didn't change later. prior to submitting my coin I used acetone and it did nothing. I did a rinse in 50/50 E-Z-Est and distilled water and it did nothing. I only louped the surface with a 9x glass, but it looked as though the "spots" were raised off the surface as opposed to etching into the surface as I would expect with corrosion.

perhaps if someone has a coin with similar spots they could examine it and report what they see.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought it turned in the slab... Was shocked seeing the Secure View photo looking the same :s

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@RogerB said:

Try to remove any tarnish from a copper coin...

It has been done lots of times. The coins are chemically or mechanically altered with many virtually undetectable. I've seen it from the doorway in a large closet, One of the chemical baths was copper sulfate (blue solution). The mechanical treatment was first seen in the 1080's. I named it "micro-whizzing" although it looked nothing like actual whizzing ID'd by the movement of metal. Anyone can "fix" a non-red copper coin and turn it brown again. One method is in the old-time literature.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file