Home U.S. Coin Forum

Three special cents to be released by the Mint...

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm... There was a thread on the W-Mint cent in the proof set, but I can't find it... :/

Just got this in my mail from the Mint. They're advertising the Proof set on sale this Friday:

As a special bonus, each 2019 proof set is shipped along with a separately packaged proof Lincoln penny with the “W” mint mark of the West Point Mint—the first of a series of three pennies that will only be released this year!

Three? One with the proof set, maybe one in the uncirc set? One in a business strike that's a circulating rarity?

Hmmm....

Comments

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm indeed.

Collector, occasional seller

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

This will be interesting, but still waiting for my slabbed Apollo’s. LOL! ;):)

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12248025

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    This will be interesting, but still waiting for my slabbed Apollo’s. LOL! ;):)

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12248025

lol, never even saw that thread. Been busy for the past couple of days, and if it drops off the first page before I see it, it usually doesn't get seen. (Sort of like only reading a newspaper above the fold. :wink: )

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2019 2:33PM

The new Mint director is trying a lot of new ideas to try to get revenue back up..

@RogerB said:
    Wow....even the "United States Mint" calls them "pennies." :)

I was going to mention it, but no one seems to give a caca anymore.

I will, however, point out that I used "cents" in the title... :)

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

Doh! I carry around a 1938 English Penny to show people what a "penny" looks like...in comparison to a U.S. Cent.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2019 2:32PM

Charmy Harker's cat would love it!

[PS: This was one of the methods of "adding perceived value" to an existing product with the intent to improve declining sales discussed at the Mint Conference. The Mint will produce a "rare" coin that can only be obtained with a proof set. Expect the TV shysters to push repackaged sets under several TPG labels as "Great Rarities" and other such nonsense. In reality, the pieces will follow the same market dynamic as modern commemorates where all the mintage is "perfect."]

I found the original thread started by Walle. It was buried pages deep...

New 2019 W Penny coming with Proof Sets

Maybe @ThePennyLady has some inside info the three cents?

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Penny" irks me too! Curious as to what kind of packaging it comes in -- something "special" hopefully.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

From Coin World, dated 2/25:

West Point Mint striking three special 2019-W Lincoln cents

From T.V. Johnson, the director of the U.S. Mint's Office of Corporate Communications...

The Silver Proof set, to be issued April 24, will be accompanied by, in separate packaging, as a premium, an 11th coin, a special Reverse Proof 2019-W Lincoln cent.

and

The 20-coin Uncirculated Mint set, which includes 10 coins each from the Denver and Philadelphia Mints, will have as its premium, as the 21st coin in the set, a 2019-W Lincoln cent with Uncirculated finish.

So, this doesn't appear to lead to a circulating rarity, but is an attempt to boost annual set sales. Which it probably will.

Still hoping for a multi-year W-Mint sets...

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Third world kitsch.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Hmmm... There was a thread on the W-Mint cent in the proof set, but I can't find it... :/

Just got this in my mail from the Mint. They're advertising the Proof set on sale this Friday:

As a special bonus, each 2019 proof set is shipped along with a separately packaged proof Lincoln penny with the “W” mint mark of the West Point Mint—the first of a series of three pennies that will only be released this year!

Three? One with the proof set, maybe one in the uncirc set? One in a business strike that's a circulating rarity?

Hmmm....

There will probably be a silver "penny" just to confuse people who think 1943 steel cents are silver.

Buy three sets to get three cents. ;)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2019 6:05AM

Interesting... although it truly is a marketing ploy, I think I will get at least the first one....I have the '95 W ASE and the '96 W dime...will be nice to add the cent.... then wait for the nickel, quarter and half... ;) Cheers, RickO

@dpoole said:
    This effort to ignite collector interest occurs in an atmosphere of collector fatigue with moderns, because of the volume of items created unrelated to commercial need for coinage.

And a crapload of that "unrelated" stuff is being mandated by Congress.

It reminds me of what happened to stamps.

The Post office was forced by Congress to print a bazillion different types of stamps?

The Mint has got to try to do something. Annual set production is mandated by law, and is by far, the biggest source of loss by the Mint Store. It is really one of the driving forces behind those huge premiums on everything else.

The new mint director seems to know some novel marketing strategies much better than the last one. Considering how many Lincoln cent collectors there are, this should be a banner year for proof and mint set sales, plus with the .999 change on the silver proof set now with a RP W mint Lincoln I will certainly be getting that one.

Those mintages will be crazy low for cents. Usual silver proof sets lately are in the 350,000-400,000 range. If there are only that many 2019 W mint RP Lincolns, it could be close to the lowest mintage 484,000 for the 1909-S VDB!.

I would not expect it to stay that low once everyone figures out just how rare these W cents will be. My guess is maybe closer to the 1931-S with 866,000 minted, but might actually get over a million.

I hope they do not put these W cents in anything else, as this will idea result in major demand. I may actually buy a few proof and mint sets for the first time in 15-20 years.

Would someone set up a poll to guess how many silver proof sets will be sold to get that 2019-W RP Lincoln? Would be interesting to see what the estimates will be.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm might be time to "forget" a mintmark again to spur sales of carefully inspected and special proof sets. ;)

I do plan on getting some of these and do hope the Mint limits the distribution as @Goldminers mentioned.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. A new type set for the registry. 1996-W Roosevelt Dime and 3 2019-W Lincoln cents. Should be easy to do.

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

¢

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was hoping the Mint was going to release some 1974 aluminum cents or Martha Washington pattern cents!

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2019 9:38AM

Should strike some on a 1/10 oz gold planchet in error...

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

edited February 26, 2019 9:45AM

@privatecoin said:
    Should strike some on a 1/10 oz gold planchet in error...

I've always liked the gold Indian Head Cents. Would be nice to have some modern versions.

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

NGC just put out a story on the cent and its special holder. Wonder if PCGS will have a special insert.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/7222/2019-w-cent/

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gack!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wanna see a major mint error on a "W" cent. :D

edited February 26, 2019 10:21AM

It’s only over 40 years after West Point struck their first cents (for circulation). About time they struck some with mintmarks!

• OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2019 10:44AM

@StrikeOutXXX said:
    NGC just put out a story on the cent and its special holder. Wonder if PCGS will have a special insert.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/7222/2019-w-cent/

@HeatherBoyd Will PCGS have a holder for the upcoming “premium” cents?

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    The new mint director seems to know some novel marketing strategies much better than the last one. Considering how many Lincoln cent collectors there are, this should be a banner year for proof and mint set sales, plus with the .999 change on the silver proof set now with a RP W mint Lincoln I will certainly be getting that one.

Those mintages will be crazy low for cents. Usual silver proof sets lately are in the 350,000-400,000 range. If there are only that many 2019 W mint RP Lincolns, it could be close to the lowest mintage 484,000 for the 1909-S VDB!.

Only 215,000 Enhanced Uncirculated Lincoln cents produced.

I don't think you can compare proof mintages to circulation strikes. The lowest regular proof Lincoln would be the 1936 with only 3837 made. I think the lowest "special finish" Lincoln would be the 1916 matte proof with only 1000 examples.

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

An "M" would be amazing! LOL.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@RogerB said:

I was going to mention it, but no one seems to give a caca anymore.

I will, however, point out that I used "cents" in the title... :)

Good job ;)

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I read, they will put a proof with the standard proof sets, a reverse proof with the silver proof sets and an uncirculated with the mint sets.

While mintage's may be "low" compared to other rare Lincoln's, these will certainly never be rare, just like the 2017-S coins will never be rare.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

@jmlanzaf said:> Only 215,000 Enhanced Uncirculated Lincoln cents produced."

@dbldie55 said: > While mintage's may be "low" compared to other rare Lincoln's, these will certainly never be rare, just like the 2017-S coins will never be rare.

Thanks dbldie55 and jmlanzaf for correcting my mistaken interpretation of the 2019 W-mint Lincoln cent rarity in my above post. I was not aware the 2017-S enhanced Lincoln had that low of mintage and how low the prices still are for them.

I haven't really collected cents since I was about 14 years old or so. I mostly only collect coins/medals if they are made from precious metals. Most of my life is in the gold mining business. This will reduce my interest in purchasing the 2019 sets, except for maybe the silver one now, and I will cancel my enrollments for them.

That is why this forum is so helpful to me as I often misinterpret things that others know a whole lot more about. Never too old to learn.

Cheers

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2019 12:41PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

How about upside down "M" cent like the upside down airplane stamp ?

@jmlanzaf said:
    An "M" would be amazing! LOL.

Sorry, Didn't mean to steal your idea. I read your comment after I posted. We think alike. lol

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2019 12:51PM

I like the whole idea! This means, the Cent will be hanging around for quite sometime. So much for all the gainsayers on getting rid of Abe. Yeah, an error/variety would only add fire to the flame. I'm thinking the "Wide AM"/"Close AM" variety. Can you imagine? <3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

$1,400 will get you a roll..... B)

• TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    $1,400 will get you a roll..... B)

I’m game.

@Goldminers said:

@jmlanzaf said:> Only 215,000 Enhanced Uncirculated Lincoln cents produced."

@dbldie55 said: > While mintage's may be "low" compared to other rare Lincoln's, these will certainly never be rare, just like the 2017-S coins will never be rare.

Thanks dbldie55 and jmlanzaf for correcting my mistaken interpretation of the 2019 W-mint Lincoln cent rarity in my above post. I was not aware the 2017-S enhanced Lincoln had that low of mintage and how low the prices still are for them.

I haven't really collected cents since I was about 14 years old or so. I mostly only collect coins/medals if they are made from precious metals. Most of my life is in the gold mining business. This will reduce my interest in purchasing the 2019 sets, except for maybe the silver one now, and I will cancel my enrollments for them.

That is why this forum is so helpful to me as I often misinterpret things that others know a whole lot more about. Never too old to learn.

Cheers

I didn't mean to rain on your enthusiasm. Frankly, I think the enhanced sets are a bit underappreciated still. However the cent at a solid $12 or $13 each is a pretty nice premium for a set that cost $29.95 for the whole thing out of the gate.

As I wrote on another thread, the Kennedy half is about the same price, so the Lincoln and Kennedy from the EU sets cost about $25 as raw singles. The whole set costs about $25 these days. So, in fact, the other coins are actually free! LOL.

The lack of price appreciation beyond the $12 or $13 I think owes more to a dearth of collectors than an excess of product. [Obviously, they are relative.] Back in the day, everyone had their "penny board" and so 215,000 coins would be scarce. These days, not so many people collecting that way.

Beware the shrinking collector base. Sooner or later it will come for the S-VDB cent also. [Please see stamps and the $5 Columbian for price history.]

The “premium” cent. At least one of them.

Well, that was easy...

1 @ USS125515xx

Proof Set 2019
    San Francisco (S)
    $27.95 Qty 1 Total: 27.9500

Proof Penny Cent 2019
    West Point (W)
    $0.01 Qty 1 Total: 0.0000

Penny Cent Envelope
    West Point (W)
    $0.01 Qty 1 Total: 0.0000

(Corrections are mine...)

So what have we learned from this? PFSWeb thinks dollar amounts go out to the hundredth of a cent, and the CENT envelope is a West Point product... :wink:

To slab or not to slab. Reminder for this quarters special.

Presidents Quarterly Special – Submit four, only pay for three!
    Don’t wait! All orders must be postmarked by March 31, 2019.

Submit four coins featuring a U.S. President and only pay for three! This special applies to all U.S. and World coins featuring a U.S. President. As always, coins from different services must be submitted separately. In example, World and U.S. coins cannot be mixed. Additional service fees such as oversize holder and variety attribution still apply.

https://www.pcgs.com/ccspecial

edited March 3, 2019 9:06AM

What is the metal content of the 2019 W? Mint has not posted any info, yet.

Would be nice if these were not zinc.

Received the enrollment shipping and payment notification for the silver proofs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file