Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two mystery cents in 2019

The US Mint will be including a proof W cent with the upcoming proof sets. A Facebook announcement mentioned that there will be three special cents this year. What do you think the other two will be?

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Some_of_it said:
    The US Mint will be including a proof W cent with the upcoming proof sets. A Facebook announcement mentioned that there will be three special cents this year. What do you think the other two will be?

Interesting. What is the link to the facebook announcement?

• Options
    Some_of_itSome_of_it Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

I can’t lift the link & the three “pennies” are not mentioned on the mint website. Just the W.
    Here is the add: Mark your calendars now! This year’s 10-coin Proof Set includes a separately packaged limited edition Lincoln penny bearing the “W” mint mark of the West Point Mint. This penny is part of a three-coin series of pennies released only in 2019. It’s our gift to you!

• Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

I wonder if it will be three W cents, business strike, proof and reverse prof?

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options

@Some_of_it said:
    I can’t lift the link & the three “pennies” are not mentioned on the mint website. Just the W.
    Here is the add: Mark your calendars now! This year’s 10-coin Proof Set includes a separately packaged limited edition Lincoln penny bearing the “W” mint mark of the West Point Mint. This penny is part of a three-coin series of pennies released only in 2019. It’s our gift to you!

Please post a snapshot of the page’s URL.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just more "made for collector" junk from the US Mint.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2019 2:37PM

I also saw/read the Facebook announcement that the OP mentions.

I believe it was sent to my FB page because I "follow" the Coin World FB page.

I do attest that the announcement was actually there.

The announcement picqued my curiosity almost zero percentum.

The U.S. Mint might have to mint a one cent coin in real gold to get me excited.

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:
    I also saw/read the Facebook announcement that the OP mentions.

I believe it was sent to my FB page because I "follow" the Coin World FB page.

I do attest that the announcement was actually there.

The announcement picqued my curiosity almost zero percentum.

The U.S. Mint might have to mint a one cent coin in real gold to get me excited.

Thanks @BillDugan1959, saw that too from “NCM Collector”. Was seeking where s/he quoted that from.

Thanks @Some_of_it I know about the Mint’s page.

Interested in finding the source of the quote, “This penny is part of a three-coin series of pennies released only in 2019. It’s our gift to you!”

Might have been an interview during one of the ATB quarter releases.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical I went back and looked at my FB home page just now, and the advertisement sent by or on behalf of the U.S. Mint and it was exactly the same as shown on their FB page (which I rarely look at).

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given that it is simply an ad for the Mint, they might well be counting proof coins and/or reverse proof coins as the others.

• Options
    Some_of_itSome_of_it Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

Still trying to figure out how to drop a photo into this.

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:
    @Hemispherical I went back and looked at my FB home page just now, and the advertisement sent by or on behalf of the U.S. Mint and it was exactly the same as shown on their FB page (which I rarely look at).

Thank you @BillDugan1959 for the information. After spending too much time fast fowarding through the Lowell National coin forum interview with Marc Landry. I am done with these cents. ;)

For this interested, Marc mentioned that a 2 1/2 oz Silver Liberty medal will be offered during the Summer.

• Options

@Some_of_it said:

Still trying to figure out how to drop a photo into this.

Looks like you got the hang of it. Thanks @Some_of_it!

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the "W" PROOF, and a P and D copper enhanced unc in the unc set?

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish all proof cents were copper instead of zincolns. Really, proofs should be special.

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

Wasn’t the mint supposed to create some sort of circulating rarity last year or this year?
    Anything ever come of that?

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

So to recap: Three West Point cents. A proof, a reverse proof, and a standard uncirculated finish. Verrrrrrry interesting!!

• Options
    edited March 26, 2019 4:49PM

@Onastone said:
    So to recap: Three West Point cents. A proof, a reverse proof, and a standard uncirculated finish. Verrrrrrry interesting!!

Agree... but have to buy the three sets to get three cents. LOL :)

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2019 7:13AM

Moved my comment to other original 3 cent post post

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file