Home U.S. Coin Forum

1978s proof set roosevelt dime-HORN?????

Flyguy1982Flyguy1982 Posts: 46
edited February 21, 2019 9:21PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was looking through a lot of proof sets I inherited today & looked close at the dime& like this looks like a horn on the side of his head...?? Smh wowww...what you guys think?? Pretty weird looking

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks kind of like a strike through, but need clearer pics. Is it incuse or not? It might be the plastic sleeve.

• No it's not plastic sleeve...

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

My vision must be deteriorating because I can't tell much of anything with the photos.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pictures are a tad blurry... however, it does look like a struck through...interesting anomaly on a proof coin. Try to post some better pictures and we may be able to give more information. Cheers, RickO

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a strike-thru, based on the photos...

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting visual effect of a strike-through. Not sure the market for something like this, but it does look like a horn and I'm sure someone would pay a premium for it.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be a struck thru, as mentioned.

Could also be a 'hit' - tough to tell from
    the photos.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • & the pics look clear enough....cant you see it looks like his hair but going in a different direction or something, no again its not the plastic ,all my proof sets are well reserved....

• Thanks for all the feed back,I'll post some more pics but I dont how clearer they could be but ok

• I seen one like this in circulation a few weeks ago

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Flyguy1982 said:
    no again its not the plastic ,all my proof sets are well reserved....

It might well be a strike thru, but don't assume that being "well reserved" means that the case did not come from the mint with scratches or a small piece of loose plastic inside.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would appear the “devil is in the details “😸😂

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I right in assuming there are two different coins you are showing us? The second looks different from one and three. The marks on the rim of the ear are not evident on one and three. The red that is seeping into the grey holder in one and three is not in the second. Of course the color of the "horn" is different due to the lighting but it seems a little different. Be interesting if two coins in the set have the same anomaly. If truly different coins, then not likely a piece of plastic or other material between the plastic holder and coin. Possible but not likely. Interesting to say the least. When you rephotograph the coin or coins be sure that you can visualize the mintmark. It is blurry without enlargement. If you can identify the MM without magnification then your photo might be better to analyze. Thanks for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Am I right in assuming there are two different coins you are showing us? The second looks different from one and three. The marks on the rim of the ear are not evident on one and three. The red that is seeping into the grey holder in one and three is not in the second. Of course the color of the "horn" is different due to the lighting but it seems a little different. Be interesting if two coins in the set have the same anomaly. If truly different coins, then not likely a piece of plastic or other material between the plastic holder and coin. Possible but not likely. Interesting to say the least. When you rephotograph the coin or coins be sure that you can visualize the mintmark. It is blurry without enlargement. If you can identify the MM without magnification then your photo might be better to analyze. Thanks for sharing.
    Jim

If you look this two year old thread was just resurrected by a new user, the op has not been logged in since May 2019.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jenskitx said:
    I seen one like this in circulation a few weeks ago

Could be a struck thru, as mentioned.

Could also be a 'hit' - tough to tell from
    the photos.

Without photos it could be one of these. Neither are unusual. So it wouldn’t be surprising to see something similar.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

If you look this two year old thread was just resurrected by a new user, the op has not been logged in since May 2019.

I hate when this happens,

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crap.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m doing it again. Dang it 🤨 I get caught talking to bots and arguing with old posts 😂

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    I’m doing it again. Dang it 🤨 I get caught talking to bots and arguing with old posts 😂

That is evidence that you are a bot.

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

That is evidence that you are a bot.

Are you guys talking about bottoms?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file