Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is PCGS short-staffed?

In all my years of submitting coins for grading, I've never had a wait of 8+ days from the time they received my coins to even post them in the system as an active received order. Still not posted as an active order as of today either. I called yesterday and was told they were seeing a large number of coins being submitted, show schedules and other reasons that they couldn't get into as to why the slow update times. Anyone else have the same issue and/or theory on what is going on? I can see how grading may be slow, but to not be able to actually record the coins as received in the system, that doesn't speak well to customer service or the lack there of when we are left wondering "what happened to my coins?".

Comments

• bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Beginning of new year brings high influx of 1st run production coins and ASE'S. AS far back as I can remember, PCGS has had a backlog of receiving coins and getting them into their system late Jan & Feb. It's like trying to catch a cup of water from a tsunami. Have patience. If you sent the coins with tracking you should be able to make show receipt. I totally understand, last time I submitted coins, after 4 days I was checking 3/4 times a day.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• GemstrikeGemstrike Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

They're backed up alright. This is day 7 for mine.

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh boy.

Yeah, there's nothing quite like the feeling that your thousands of dollars worth of coins are in "limbo". Mine were received this past friday so I guess I probably shouldn't bother checking any time soon.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

My friend is having the same issue, his coins showed delivered through the post office over a week ago, yet PCGS shows nothing...

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they're processing bulk submissions of Apollo coins from the big boys first just a guess don't ban me 😢. Most of them seem to know when they will be able to fill their preorders.

• ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Count myself lucky, sent one coin submission on voucher, received 1/31 and grades posted yesterday. I recall it took a few days to log in but nothing like what is being described above.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2019 1:30PM

I got mine in the week before LB and they have already been graded and shipped. Regular service

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

This seems to happen frequently this time of year. I think FUN and Long Beach are so close together that they have a back-up.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am on day 5 and counting. I also sent some into NGC will have to see how long they take.

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Mine need a trip to see Fred, so I never expect a quick turnaround time and have been pleasantly surprised by how quick they actually come back :)

I submitted this silver quarter at Long Beach .....

1982? Very cool!

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2019 1:52PM

@cameonut2011 said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Mine need a trip to see Fred, so I never expect a quick turnaround time and have been pleasantly surprised by how quick they actually come back :)

1982? Very cool!

no, as it is Silver :)<3B)

If it comes back as my birth year, the price just doubled :D>:)

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Receipt to entered in the system for latest submission was six days.

Lately, turn around after entering the system has been fairly quick, i.e., several days quicker then average estimates. I guess I am on the good end of the statistical bell curve. https://www.pcgs.com/Statistics/

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 so heavy volume is a nice problem to not only celebrate, but also anticipate. Most businesses plan ahead for these cycles.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

1982? Very cool!

no, as it is Silver :)<3B)

If it comes back as my birth year, the price just doubled :D>:)

were you born in 1932? nice coin.

When PCGS picks stuff up at post office, tracking will show signed and accepted.

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

One time I had to wait 2 weeks for my submission to be visible in my account from the time that the USPS Tracking # showed that it was delivered.

I wouldn’t worry about it.

• AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

My last submission took 6 days to get checked in. However, despite it being a collectors voucher submission which is supposedly regular, took only 4 days to get done and shipped back.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2019 3:22PM

My walk through took a day, my express I sent in a day later are in process and the ones they received As Express Monday still aren’t in system just so you can have a reference of other submissions. I think that is great. I’ve never had issues with long submission times even after shows.

🤷‍♀️

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2019 4:10PM

@Catbert said:
    @Insider2 so heavy volume is a nice problem to not only celebrate, but also anticipate. Most businesses plan ahead for these cycles.

Most businesses HAVE COMPETITION! Our host does not.

BTW, your post indicates that you have it on good authority that PCGS has not called in "contract workers" already in anticipation of the crunch. :)

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not short staffed, always slower at start of a new year. Everyone in a hurry up to submit and receive their 2019 MS70 first strikes. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the moderns especially Lunar coins is doing this. I had something similar happen at NGC recently. I don't get it but they probably have to hire secure screened employees. I am very quick and responsive with customers. I would personally work 100 paid hours a week if necessary.

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2019 8:25PM

California B)

I have a friend that got a job out there after college and was told by his coworkers to knock off the hard work.
    He didn't and ended up getting fired as the most productive employee with several harassment charges.
    He ended up working with a bunch of recent immigrants where that kind of ethic was accepted.
    Not kidding.
    He learned Spanish and moved back home to Pa.

For those that are getting back submissions from Long Beach and right after, are you happy with the grades? Are the grades as expected or are they still tight?

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just received my submission I dropped off at FUN today. Thought the grades were spot on

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Wicked cool! :o Struck thru cloth???

• cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Generally turnaround times are "voided" when they have shows (LB), and other Invitationals. They have a "Walk Through"
    week this week and that will put other regular orders behind schedule.

• Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Anyone else still waiting on their coin order to appear on the PCGS web site? Mine was received, according to the post office, by PCGS back on 2/4/19 and still has not posted as an order under my account by PCGS. :(

• oldstandardoldstandard Posts: 387 ✭✭✭

Yes day 12 for me

• oldstandardoldstandard Posts: 387 ✭✭✭

I did call about two weeks out

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine received last Friday by pcgs and in process yesterday, 2 orders.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

First year in a decade I didn't renew my membership. That ought to speed it up for some of you brothers and sisters.

• djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Schmitz7 said:
    Anyone else still waiting on their coin order to appear on the PCGS web site? Mine was received, according to the post office, by PCGS back on 2/4/19 and still has not posted as an order under my account by PCGS. :(

Did you look on the pending orders page?

• Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

I checked the pending orders page...still nothing. I’m glad I didn’t send this one in at express service level for higher fees to have it sit unrecorded for 9+ business days. 😩

I would go crazy not knowing if my coins were received. I'd use a return receipt for any shipment to any TPGS that was not sent Registered.

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    I would go crazy not knowing if my coins were received. I'd use a return receipt for any shipment to any TPGS that was not sent Registered.

They have a new service called "online tracking"!!! :):)

Thanks, then what is the problem? Just the fact that they received the coins (online tracking) but they have not been entered into the system for several days due to the volume of submissions?

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Thanks, then what is the problem? Just the fact that they received the coins (online tracking) but they have not been entered into the system for several days due to the volume of submissions?

Yes. I can see that this is frustrating especially if you send faster levels of service.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a package received on 2/04/19 which contained (2) boxes inside with (2) different submissions.

One box of a (2) coin restoration was logged in yesterday.

The 2nd box containing my APOLLO coins still hasn't logged in. I find that strange.

GrandAm :)

@djm said:
    Did you look on the pending orders page?

Where is this pending orders page?

All I see is this.

• @GRANDAM The 'My Orders' section of the Set Registry website is the screen you provided. From Set Registry you can use the left-side navigation and click on your username to get to the 'My Account' section of the PCGS website to access the main 'My Orders' page where you will find a 'Pending Orders' link on the top right. Or visit https://www.pcgs.com/myaccount/pending-orders directly. I hope that helps!

T. Whitmeyer
    Front-end Developer, Collectors Universe

• @clarkbar04 said:
    Mine received last Friday by pcgs and in process yesterday, 2 orders.

My order was also received last Friday and in process yesterday. One order, regular service.

edited February 15, 2019 9:15PM

@twhitmeyer
    Thanks, I found the 2nd order.

• cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭

Tracking showed delivery and receipt on the 9th, nothing yet. First time it's taken this long.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file