Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1962 Jell-O Baseball Hand Cut - Official PSA Thread

PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, so I know this is going to have a very small following but after all these years, 1962 Jell-O has found it's way onto the set registry. With fewer than 400 cards slabbed by PSA to date, I'm hoping more people join in on this glorious venture. If you have 1 or if you have 40.... or even if you are just interested, please hop on the bandwagon!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one; Harmon Killebrew "Authentic". Been trying to find one with borders showing all the way around for YEARS.

What was the deal with these? Were the cards right up to the edge of the box?

There are no 9's no 10's three 8's, two 7's and three 6's out of a total of only 402 graded. Two of the 8's are Aarons!

Super scarce set. Limited distribution?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    I have one; Harmon Killebrew "Authentic". Been trying to find one with borders showing all the way around for YEARS.

There are no 9's no 10's three 8's, two 7's and three 6's out of a total of only 402 graded. Two of the 8's are Aarons!

Lol, all of the above. 56 years later and a lot of digging by many people has not turned up a lot of information. There are a couple of what I consider "experts" over on Net 54. The cards were on both 3oz and 6oz boxes so the ones on the 3oz were right at the edge or around it so that is part of the reason they are hard to find with full boarders. The experts have been researching for years which players were on which flavors and box sizes and from what I gather have compiled an extensive list. These were sort of a test run in 1962 and rumored to have only been distributed in the Chicago and Milwaukee areas so yes, very limited and very scarce. Obviously, if it was a crappy flavor of Jell-O or pudding and not a "star" player, the amount of them sold or still in existence is probably fewer. I can say that up until I started to submit mine to PSA a few months back, there were fewer than 300 slabbed. I wanted to have a set, or as close to one as I can get, all in slabs. And while I would like to have them all with full borders and numerical grades, I know that is never going to happen. Personally, I currently own 20 with numerical grades and I'm fine with getting ones I don't have in any condition. It is rumored there are probably fewer than 10 complete sets in existence and I would guess that the number is closer to 5. I know someone that has 2 complete and 2 more only missing a few of the real scarce cards. There is currently a Curt Simmons on Ebay. This is a card that rarely comes up but is the 3rd one this year. The two prior were slabbed. This one is pretty decent and is currently at $321. I expect it to bring $400 or more. Would love if it sold for less, lol. Most of the star cards are readily available, just not with full boarders. Heck, Mantle is probably the easiest to find. What I've found is that due to the scarcity of this set, the hardcore collectors are pretty tight lipped with the info but as I said, there are some guys out there with a wealth of knowledge. I know there are even a couple guys on CU that know way more than I do. Anyhow, I have completely fallen in love with this set and will continue to plug away as long as I can. Completing this set is like dating a super model. You dream that one day you will but for the vast majority of us, it's just never going to happen!

edited July 12, 2018 7:17PM

Thanks for the info! Here's Harmon.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

This forum made me curious, so I went to my pile of post and jello and found Boyer. My question is: Do you think I should get it graded. My plan if I do get it graded is to put it in my vintage Yankees custom set. I'm posting a scan.

It looks like it will get an "Authentic" grade, but you never know. I would get it graded, especially if the other cards in your Yankees set are.

Card displays very well. Too bad about the left border, that's what the biggest problem on my Killebrew is.

Yeah I see what you mean about the left border. Was that way when I got it. I try to get all my vintage graded plus relics over $15. I have an awesome batch of Whitey Fords I want to get graded after the first of the year. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the input.

@bammerbb said:
    This forum made me curious, so I went to my pile of post and jello and found Boyer. My question is: Do you think I should get it graded. My plan if I do get it graded is to put it in my vintage Yankees custom set. I'm posting a scan.

Yeah, I would need to see more of the left boarder to say 100% positive. They are somewhat flexible if it has the yellow from the edge even if the black line isn't there....I can't explain why. Either way, on a $7 or $8 bulk sub it's not going to be a bad thing to get it slabbed. Not a ton of those out there.

Thanks again for all the input. Now I have another question. If the cards do NOT have the red Post on it, are all the rest of my cards Jello's???

Depends on the year. In 1962 both regular and Canadian Post had a "red Post" on them, but in 1963 they did not. 1963 Jello's are a little smaller than Post.

I think Jello only made cards in 1962 and 1963 but I am not an expert.

In 1961 Post had two types, one on the boxes that you had to cut out and one perforated that was part of a send in team(?) set.

Also, an easy way to tell the difference between the 1963 Jell-O and Post cards is by the red line dividing the stats. The Jell-O cards have a shorter line and ends close to the stats but on the Post, the line extends almost to the boarder.

Ok Promethius and everyone. This helps me out a lot.

This thread and being the only set on the registry is so lonely. I long for the day when someone else will join so I'm not my own one man wolf pack.

There's a thread on the Community/Trading Card and Memorabilia forum; "Value of complete 1962 Jello boxes?"

Some good pictures of a couple of complete boxes.

Shows why the cards are so rarely found with borders all the way around.

@JoeBanzai said:
    There's a thread on the Community/Trading Card and Memorabilia forum; "Value of complete 1962 Jello boxes?"

Lol, yeah, I know, I posted the links! ;)

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Lol, yeah, I know, I posted the links! ;)

I figured that thread would get pushed down/off the page and figured there needed to be a notation on this thread.

@JoeBanzai said:

I figured that thread would get pushed down/off the page and figured there needed to be a notation on this thread.

Just not a lot of love for the hand cut stuff!

This thread and registry category is so lonely. I really feel like the Culligan man sometimes.

Yes, I feel the same way, but it's because I am just generally a weirdo!

On another depressing note, missed out on a Killebrew ungraded 1971 Milk Duds card that was cut out well outside the borders. Thought it might become a 9 and be an upgrade for my set. Went for $30.00.

@JoeBanzai said:

On another depressing note, missed out on a Killebrew ungraded 1971 Milk Duds card that was cut out well outside the borders. Thought it might become a 9 and be an upgrade for my set. Went for $30.00.

That's the worst feeling to miss out on something that you need like that. Not only was the price right...I'm guessing, but probably something that doesn't come around often that you would have paid more for???

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

That's the worst feeling to miss out on something that you need like that. Not only was the price right...I'm guessing, but probably something that doesn't come around often that you would have paid more for???

Yes, had my eye on it and neglected to put in a snipe. No guarantee it would have gotten a higher grade than the one I have, but my set is kind of maxed out, cards I need are too expensive or very hard to find.

I missed out on a PSA 4 Koufax the other day. Seller had a BIN and someone snagged it right away. If anyone knows who got it and is interested in turning it for a quick profit, please let me know!

I am going to get an alt account so that I can post on this thread under that username and have someone to talk to about these cards!

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just read through this thread. Thanks for the info. I also looked up the checklist and PSA pop report. I love the star power in this set. I'd like to see some pics of the grades or raw stuff you guys have. Thanks!

Andy

Andy

@ahopkins said:
    Just read through this thread. Thanks for the info. I also looked up the checklist and PSA pop report. I love the star power in this set. I'd like to see some pics of the grades or raw stuff you guys have. Thanks!

Andy

I guess since I started this thread, I should probably post some pics from time to time! I'll get my set from it's tomb and scan some pics tonight. I have a few that will be coming back from PSA in a bulk sub soon that I'm pretty excited about and will post some pics of those when they arrive!

Would love to see some examples other than my PSA authentic.

The Mantle was one of my original cards that I had that really got me started on the set. That and my Clemente.

A few more numerical. Love the Boros!

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2019 6:40PM

So why is the Mantle Authentic and the others graded? Is it because the cut is bad? I really like the Yogi.

Andy

How the Woodie Held got a numerical grade above and the Sherm Lollar here, I'll never know

@bammerbb said:

It's a decent looking card but I can't really see if there is a left border. If it was me, I would send it in a bulk submission for $8 but probably wouldn't spend the $20.

@ahopkins said:
    So why is the Mantle Authentic and the others graded? Is it because the cut is bad? I really like the Yogi.

Well, I haven't figured out how exactly they grade them, but I would guess because it doesn't have a full border. It's a decent looking card but would like to upgrade to a numeric one someday. I would still keep this one as it was on of my first.

I am amazed at some of the great grades here! I thought you needed to have border showing all the way around to get a number grade.
    Thanks for posting these great images!

@JoeBanzai said:
    I am amazed at some of the great grades here! I thought you needed to have border showing all the way around to get a number grade.
    Thanks for posting these great images!

That's what is so confusing to me. I wish I understood how exactly they grade them. Seems to be no rhyme or reason. I'll get some more posted at some point. Those were out of my first 2 boxes and I have 4 more.

• lilmulelilmule Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭

Those are pretty cool, might start looking at them more frequently to see what I come across.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies

Just wanted to say that the 62 Jell-O set registry is heating up FAST! We now have a SECOND set that has been started. Thanks for joining in Ken. I consider Ken the Godfather of Post and Jell-O cards. If not THE Godfather, for sure he is in the small group of them. Looking forward to getting some cards back from PSA tomorrow and updating my set!

Had a submission pop this morning and went out to check my registry set to see if any I'll be getting back are upgrades. Found that Ken Marks updated his set and I believe he has all but two cards in his registry set now. Absolutely amazing and although I'm sad to lose the #1 ranking, lol, I am amazed by his collection. If you like these cards or have any interest at all, I recommend you check out his set as he has pics of all his cards!

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/company-sets/1962-jell-o/17043

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love your passion for this rare hand cut set! Here is my only 62 Jello card:

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just checked and my 63 Jello Yaz is a PSA 3. Are the 63’s easier to get numerical grades?

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

@DBesse27 said:
    Just checked and my 63 Jello Yaz is a PSA 3. Are the 63’s easier to get numerical grades?

That's a decent looking 62 Yaz. Yes, the 63 Jell-O are easier to get numerical grades only because they put them on the bigger boxes from what I gather. Kind of learned from the 62 test run.

@DBesse27 said:

1962 card borders were right up to and/or around the edge of the box.

@DBesse27 said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@DBesse27 said:

That's a decent looking 62 Yaz. Yes, the 63 Jell-O are easier to get numerical grades only because they put them on the bigger boxes from what I gather. Kind of learned from the 62 test run.

I was daydreaming for a second and realized what I said. The 63 Jell-O cards are just a touch smaller so they fit on the boxes better and would be easier for kids to cut them.

@JoeBanzai said:

Not mine but recently graded....

^I need that card!^

@JoeBanzai said:
    ^I need that card!^

I can't speak for the current owner, but I'm guessing the chances of you prying that loose from him is slim to none and slim hit the road a long time ago! I will say, it is a gorgeous example even if it didn't have a full border.

That doesn't surprise me.

ANYONE out there with a Killebrew with borders that might be enough to receive a number grade, I am interested!!!!

1963 not 1962 and Post not Jello, but here it is. Just arrived and was trimmed today.

That is sharp looking!

• RobbyRobby Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Very nice ……….Looks like a possible Psa 8 ????

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set

@Robby said:
    Very nice ……….Looks like a possible Psa 8 ????

8? I am hoping for a 10. Have a 9 in my set. Surface is perfect back is perfect. My cut is close to perfect. That's not a scratch on his photo.

If it gets an 8, I will be sad.