Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1962 Jell-O Baseball Hand Cut - Official PSA Thread

13»

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • @JoeBanzai said:
    1961 Post hand cut arrived today.

Don't check this site much, but did just enjoy going thru this thread and hearing of your PSA efforts. I share your frustration with the grades given to Jell-O cards (as Tim does too I believe). I really loved the 1961 Post Cereal Killebrew you posted. What a great looking card. Just thought I would mention (if you were not aware) that this card is not that easy to find, let alone in the great condition seen here. Post only issued Killebrew on two products in 1961. One was the Company sheets that you could mail-in and get a 10 card sheet of Twins cards. You have a card coming from a "box". And Killebrew was only printed on the Post Tens variety packages (your card's origin), which are certainly less common than probably every other cereal that Post produced with cards that year. Plus it is kind of funny they screwed up all the cereal box cards by showing the team name as Minneapolis - an error corrected in the mail-in sheet cards. Anyway, top-not card you have and thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the kind words kenmarks!

I have been searching for this card in high grade for only about 30 years! I did not realize that this card was only issued on Post Tens variety packages, that explains a LOT!

I have the perforated "Company" card in a PSA 9 and have had a couple others that graded very high, but the "box" card eluded me. I see by the population report that there are only three higher than my 7 all of them are 8's, so I am in good company.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

FINALLY picked up the second Jell-O card!

Does anyone think it would make any sense to try to get PSA to recognize the two variations (pudding/gelatin)?

I don't!

• clarke442clarke442 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Does anyone think it would make any sense to try to get PSA to recognize the two variations (pudding/gelatin)?

I don't!

Probably not, if the difference is just the paper color (unless I missing something).
    As much fun as it is to chase these type of variations, sometimes it is not worth the hassle.
    I have a Yaz Master set that has a lot of similar variations that can be difficult too.
    I have also read some of your other posts about your Killebrew Sets and trying to get other, more obvious variations added with out much luck.
    Still a nice pick up!

@clarke442 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I don't!

Probably not, if the difference is just the paper color (unless I missing something).
    As much fun as it is to chase these type of variations, sometimes it is not worth the hassle.
    I have a Yaz Master set that has a lot of similar variations that can be difficult too.
    I have also read some of your other posts about your Killebrew Sets and trying to get other, more obvious variations added with out much luck.
    Still a nice pick up!

Thank you!

Well, the fact is the cards on one product didn't have a border on one side, while the other product did. Seems pretty significant to me, but that's just me. I have been focusing on just one set for 30 years, so of course I think I know more. ;-)

Funny thing, when I first heard about it I said "STFU, that's crazy".

I think that if more of these cards weren't cut so small, it would be obvious. Especially on a "hand cut" card, where the borders are what we look for when buying raw to determine if the card can achieve a numeric grade.

Printing errors get allowed in all the time.

Bottom line for me is, I know there was a difference and feel like my set is more "complete".

Yaz was a great player. He was certainly the difference in 1967 when Boston beat my Twins on the final day of the season to go to the WS!

• clarke442clarke442 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed these on another post where you explained the difference.
    It is more obvious now that I know what I am looking for and I agree it is worth the "battle" to have them recognized as different.
    I definitely agree that the way the card is cut would be a big factor in distinguishing the difference between the varieties.

ps I am usually pretty good at those "Name the Differences" between photos

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2020 12:17PM

Looking at it from PSAs perspective, what bucket would they drop Auths with the left border cut too tight? Would they need a third "Unknown/Indeterminate" category? On a handcut card, I just don't see it being feasible.

@LarkinCollector said:
    Looking at it from PSAs perspective, what bucket would they drop Auths with the left border cut too tight? Would they need a third "Unknown/Indeterminate" category? On a handcut card, I just don't see it being feasible.

Point taken. especially tough on these as so many are cut too small to tell the difference.

For me, I am working on a "Master" set, so it would be nice to get all the variations in there.

I am not going to bother to pursue it. I have both cards, I know they are different, I am happy. ;-)