Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1962 Jell-O Baseball Hand Cut - Official PSA Thread

Comments

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@Robby said:
    Very nice ……….Looks like a possible Psa 8 ????

8? I am hoping for a 10. Have a 9 in my set. Surface is perfect back is perfect. My cut is close to perfect. That's not a scratch on his photo.

If it gets an 8, I will be sad.

I would think an 8....personally I would be ecstatic with that. They can be a bit finicky. You need to clean that scanner!!!!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys are killing me with this 8 talk!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • @JoeBanzai said:
    1963 not 1962 and Post not Jello, but here it is. Just arrived and was trimmed today.

Just wondering a couple of things Joe. First, assuming you have not gotten the card back from PSA, could you let us know what grade you got if you would. And second, it sounded like you had just trimmed the card for grading--and nicely so---am wondering if that is just with scissors or do you do the trimming in a different manner. Thanks.

• RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Joe .............I love your Positive attitude ;)............but checking the pop reports , as you already
    probably know ..........out of a total of 771 submission ...............there has never been a Psa 9 or 10
    ever graded ...................only three Psa 8's .................plus Psa is so stingy in handing out Psa 9's or 10's
    of star cards even if they are deserving of it ! I truly hope you prove us wrong !
    Robbie

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Those numbers I wrote were for '62's ....not '63 .......sorry about that .........but I still say
    Psa is stingy when handing out Psa 9 or 10 for big ticket star cards !!!!!!

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set

@kenmarks said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    1963 not 1962 and Post not Jello, but here it is. Just arrived and was trimmed today.

Just wondering a couple of things Joe. First, assuming you have not gotten the card back from PSA, could you let us know what grade you got if you would. And second, it sounded like you had just trimmed the card for grading--and nicely so---am wondering if that is just with scissors or do you do the trimming in a different manner. Thanks.

I have not sent it in yet.

I have a 1963 Post Killebrew graded a 9 and two 1962 Post Killebrew's that received 8's (one is nicer and should be a 9).

Getting a submission together and will post scans when I can.

When trimming I use a metal ruler and a NEW X-Acto blade. If your blade is even slightly dull it will sometimes "pull" the cardboard on the back of the card.

Last year I bought a bunch of Post/Jello cards that were in rough shape, but had borders all the way around. I trimmed them all nicely and yes. PSA really seems to be tough on them. The are a real challenge!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@kenmarks said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Sent in last week.

Just pulled the trigger on this one. Kind of pricey, but it's the only one I have seen graded above "authentic".

@JoeBanzai said:
    Just pulled the trigger on this one. Kind of pricey, but it's the only one I have seen graded above "authentic".

I wanted it but couldn't pull the trigger either. I offered $250 when he had it priced higher and then when the price came down and nobody bought it I thought maybe it would come down some more and I could snag it. I figured you had your eye on it and wondered why you hadn't bought it, lol. No black, left border that i can see from the scan so I'm guessing it came from a pudding box. Looks like a hint of color instead of black. You'll have to let me know when you get it in hand. Congrats to getting to add it to your registry set!

Thanks! I am surprised you didn't grab it as well............that's too funny!

I offered him $100.00 right away and of course he declined. My thinking was he might not have known how tough these are and jump on my (low ball) offer. Looks like he has a couple of other '62 Jello's on ebay now that were generously graded like the Killebrew. Good thing grading is subjective.....................maybe.

I kept looking at it and looking at it, thinking it was too much money, with no black showing on the left edge. My thinking is that most, if not all the '62 Jello's border was "wrapped" around the box and actually on the side of the box, otherwise why are there virtually none with black showing on left side? If not, the cards certainly took up the entire back of the box, both pudding and gelatin? I am really not any kind of Jello expert, only interested in the Killebrew.

Finally decided that I was trying to find a nice one for almost 30 years, how long would I have to wait for a nicer one? Of the ones that have been graded by PSA there are only three higher, a 4 and two 5's.

Several years ago I was able to find a raw '62 Post Canadian at a "National", that I got a 5 on, that was a stroke of luck.

If they were on pudding boxes, they would not have side borders because they went right to the color on the side of the box. The gelatin did have the black border all the way around and not always wrapped around the side of the box. Just those damn kids didn't care about cutting along the lines!

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    If they were on pudding boxes, they would not have side borders because they went right to the color on the side of the box. The gelatin did have the black border all the way around and not always wrapped around the side of the box. Just those damn kids didn't care about cutting along the lines!

Interesting! Did the same players always appear on the same flavors?

Here is a thread on Net54 about the Jell-O boxes. I'm trying to find the one that has some pics of the pudding boxes. I know Ken has some pics of those.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=253743

edited September 26, 2019 1:58PM

Ok, I found the thread and here is a pic of the differences. Not all the players were on both the gelatin and Pudding flavors. Ken has an amazing breakdown of what is known to date, and still researching.

Here is the link to that discussion as well. Ken is more active on the other boards but pops in here from time to time. He is the "Godfather" of Jell-O as far as I'm concerned and can give you 100x more info than i can.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=271592

Thank you! I didn't know that some of the cards didn't have borders. WOW!

• @JoeBanzai That is a great Canadian Post.

Thank you! The guy had the entire set, all looked like they had borders all the way around.

Just came today. Pudding box?

@JoeBanzai said:
    Just came today. Pudding box?

Yes, as I believe there is the start of color at the left border and the horizontal black lines on the top and bottom end naturally, not by a cut.

I want to thank you for the information on these cards. I had always assumed there was a border somewhere out there.

Now it would seem I "need" to find one with a border so I can have both variations, pudding and gelatin!

• Joe--seems certain to me that your card (and a nice one by the way) came from a Coconut Cream Pudding Box if you did not know. To get a card from a pudding box graded with a PSA number is far from easy.

@kenmarks said:
    Joe--seems certain to me that your card (and a nice one by the way) came from a Coconut Cream Pudding Box if you did not know. To get a card from a pudding box graded with a PSA number is far from easy.

Thank you!

I read the discussion on the Jello boxes/cards and thought it was most likely from a Coconut Cream box. Hilarious as I absolutely cannot stand coconut!

I started collecting Killebrew cards over 30 years ago and have been looking for the unusual, Bazooka, Post, Jello and others almost from day one.

At first, I was happy just to have the card, no matter the condition, but whenever I tried to trade/sell, condition was always brought up. On the hand cut cards, I then tried to get them with a border all the way (or most of the way) around.

This card still doesn't really make it, but is the best I have found.

Of course now I will be looking for a "gelatin" card with the actual black line border on the left edge. I am thinking the best shot I have is to go to a "National" and try to find someone who has a set or large group of Post/Jello cards and doesn't mess around with card grading.

I don't hold out much hope for a collector parting with a NR/MT copy at any price I could afford.

@JoeBanzai said:

Of course now I will be looking for a "gelatin" card with the actual black line border on the left edge. I am thinking the best shot I have is to go to a "National" and try to find someone who has a set or large group of Post/Jello cards and doesn't mess around with card grading.

I don't hold out much hope for a collector parting with a NR/MT copy at any price I could afford.

I thought the National would be a decent place to maybe find some Jell-O. Not even close. I scoured the floor for 3 days and maybe found 50 1962 Jell-O cards in total. Most were the common stars that are easy to find and then only a couple in decent condition. I picked up a Mantle that was nicer than the one I had and a Whitey Ford that was about the same as what I have. I would have purchased any that had full borders, regardless of who they were but they just weren't there outside of those two. The Ford has a full border so we'll see how it grades and the Mantle is from a lemon pudding box so has the yellow left border. Not sure if it will get a numerical grade or not. I'll know on that one in a couple of weeks.

edited October 2, 2019 11:16AM

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I thought the National would be a decent place to maybe find some Jell-O. Not even close. I scoured the floor for 3 days and maybe found 50 1962 Jell-O cards in total. Most were the common stars that are easy to find and then only a couple in decent condition. I picked up a Mantle that was nicer than the one I had and a Whitey Ford that was about the same as what I have. I would have purchased any that had full borders, regardless of who they were but they just weren't there outside of those two. The Ford has a full border so we'll see how it grades and the Mantle is from a lemon pudding box so has the yellow left border. Not sure if it will get a numerical grade or not. I'll know on that one in a couple of weeks.

Well, you sure don't see much on ebay!

Good luck on your grades!!!

PSA has had my cards for a week and still not logged :-(

Woo hoo! Order in the system!

Impatiently waiting on grades. Cards have been listed as being in "assembly" for a few days now. How long until I can see the grades?

@JoeBanzai said:
    Impatiently waiting on grades. Cards have been listed as being in "assembly" for a few days now. How long until I can see the grades?

I have a 10 card regular submission that was in assembly for almost two weeks. Went to QA1 and then QA2 on Thursday.

edited October 28, 2019 7:30AM

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I have a 10 card regular submission that was in assembly for almost two weeks. Went to QA1 and then QA2 on Thursday.

When were you able to see what grades you got?

edited October 28, 2019 7:52AM

@JoeBanzai said:

Can't see them until after they pass thru QA2 and they have billed your credit/debit card, if that's how you are paying. I am usually checking 5+ times a day even when I'm not close to having something done....even more when a sub hits the final stages. I typically know before I get the e-mail from them. Just as a reference, my submission was logged on 9/9

edited October 28, 2019 8:13AM

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Can't see them until after they pass thru QA2 and they have billed your credit/debit card, if that's how you are paying. I am usually checking 5+ times a day even when I'm not close to having something done....even more when a sub hits the final stages. I typically know before I get the e-mail from them. Just as a reference, my submission was logged on 9/9

Thanks for the info, I am going crazy. You only check 5 times a day? I have been checking 5 times an hour since They moved to "Assembly".

This is the "free" 15 card submission, but of course the shipping is on a credit card.

Especially anxious/curious..........not only do I have a 62 Post and Jello, and a 63 Post (pictured earlier in this thread), but I have a couple of 1990 Topps Griffey's and a Frank Thomas (name on front). The newer cards came out of factory sets I recently broke and of course I am hoping for 10's.

@JoeBanzai said:

Thanks for the info, I am going crazy. You only check 5 times a day? I have been checking 5 times an hour since They moved to "Assembly".

This is the "free" 15 card submission, but of course the shipping is on a credit card.

Especially anxious/curious..........not only do I have a 62 Post and Jello, and a 63 Post (pictured earlier in this thread), but I have a couple of 1990 Topps Griffey's and a Frank Thomas (name on front). The newer cards came out of factory sets I recently broke and of course I am hoping for 10's.

Lol, I didn't want to sound too obsessive. In all honesty, even when I have stuff in research and id and I know that it's still going to be 3 months, I probably check more than 5 times a day. When I have stuff sitting in assembly and QA check statuses, I am at the very least once an hour. It's hard not to with the long turnaround times these days. I have a collectors club special that was logged on 7/10. It has some 30's and 40's stuff in it. I know it's not going to be done until probably around Thanksgiving or after but I still look to see if it has made a move. I'm for sure anxious to see the grades you got on the hand cut stuff. I have tried the exacto knife before with the metal ruler and still can't seem to do it. I'm sending you anything I get that has nice, big borders so it can be expertly cut, lol! For a fee.....of course!!

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Lol, I didn't want to sound too obsessive. In all honesty, even when I have stuff in research and id and I know that it's still going to be 3 months, I probably check more than 5 times a day. When I have stuff sitting in assembly and QA check statuses, I am at the very least once an hour. It's hard not to with the long turnaround times these days. I have a collectors club special that was logged on 7/10. It has some 30's and 40's stuff in it. I know it's not going to be done until probably around Thanksgiving or after but I still look to see if it has made a move. I'm for sure anxious to see the grades you got on the hand cut stuff. I have tried the exacto knife before with the metal ruler and still can't seem to do it. I'm sending you anything I get that has nice, big borders so it can be expertly cut, lol! For a fee.....of course!!

I haven't had any experience with the new grading stages, so I figured the grades should get posted when assigned, but I see the grades are "reviewed" in QA1, so I will try to relax a bit.

I have had some luck with cutting the hand cut cards. I would be willing to give it a try, but cannot guarantee anything other than my best effort!

Have anything Killebrew to trade?

@JoeBanzai said:

I haven't had any experience with the new grading stages, so I figured the grades should get posted when assigned, but I see the grades are "reviewed" in QA1, so I will try to relax a bit.

I have had some luck with cutting the hand cut cards. I would be willing to give it a try, but cannot guarantee anything other than my best effort!

Have anything Killebrew to trade?

I don't think I have much but I'll have to look. I know I used to have a lower graded rookie but sold that off probably a year ago. I can always be on the lookout during my Saturday searches.

Yeah, that's a good article on Jell-O. One of the first I read when I started on my quest a couple of years ago. Dan is a member over on Net54. There is a small group of guys with a vast amount of knowledge of this set. Ken has been doing research for years and continues to do so. I'm hoping one day he will write a book on this issue like he did on the Post Football.

1961 Post hand cut arrived today.

That is sharp!

Thanks! Still waiting on cards at PSA. This is killing me!

Submission out of Assembly and in Quality Check 1! Woo hoo!

WOW! Quality check 2 already.

@JoeBanzai said:

Hopefully you are close. I would think by the end of the week if not today. I had a collectors club special move from grading to assembly this morning. Hoping it moves fast from here but guessing another week.

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Hopefully you are close. I would think by the end of the week if not today. I had a collectors club special move from grading to assembly this morning. Hoping it moves fast from here but guessing another week.

I've hit the "refresh" button about 5,000 times already!!!

Good luck on your submission.

"SHIPPING" no grades yet.

@JoeBanzai said:
    "SHIPPING" no grades yet.

If it shows as shipping, they should have debited the card you are using to pay and the grades should be available.

WOW, I got destroyed!

1962 Jello came back "Authentic", 1963 Post got a "4", 1962 got a "5".

New cards I sent in that looked perfect got 9's but not worth anything unless 10's

Two cards I thought were undergraded came back with the same grade as before.

1974 Killebrew Stamp came back a 9, same as in my set.

1974 OPC Twins Team was my only upgrade at a "6", I have a "5" in my set.

No .5 grades either, not that it would have mattered.

I'll post scans when cards arrive.

DISAPPOINTED!

@JoeBanzai said:
    WOW, I got destroyed!

New cards I sent in that looked perfect got 9's but not worth anything unless 10's
    DISAPPOINTED!

>

Can't comment on the other cards but that 63 Post looked a heck of a lot better than a 4. There has to be something that was missed. The cut on it was amazing and assuming that snow was on the scanner and not the card and nothing wrong with the back, I just don't see anything that could bring it down that much.

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    WOW, I got destroyed!

DISAPPOINTED!

>

Can't comment on the other cards but that 63 Post looked a heck of a lot better than a 4. There has to be something that was missed. The cut on it was amazing and assuming that snow was on the scanner and not the card and nothing wrong with the back, I just don't see anything that could bring it down that much.

I looked at it very carefully, I MUST have missed something!

Got 9's on a Griffey Jr and Frank Thomas 1990 Topps, that I pulled from factory sets, looked perfect. 9's are worth $10-15, 10's $100+.

OK guys, I have 5 different Post/Jello cards on ebay right now, somebody bid on one!

;-)

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    OK guys, I have 5 different Post/Jello cards on ebay right now, somebody bid on one!

;-)

Joe what’s your eBay handle?

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox