1962 Jell-O Baseball Hand Cut - Official PSA Thread

Ok, so I know this is going to have a very small following but after all these years, 1962 Jell-O has found it's way onto the set registry. With fewer than 400 cards slabbed by PSA to date, I'm hoping more people join in on this glorious venture. If you have 1 or if you have 40.... or even if you are just interested, please hop on the bandwagon!

Comments

  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭

    I have one; Harmon Killebrew "Authentic". Been trying to find one with borders showing all the way around for YEARS.

    What was the deal with these? Were the cards right up to the edge of the box?

    There are no 9's no 10's three 8's, two 7's and three 6's out of a total of only 402 graded. Two of the 8's are Aarons!

    Super scarce set. Limited distribution?

    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

    @JoeBanzai said:
    I have one; Harmon Killebrew "Authentic". Been trying to find one with borders showing all the way around for YEARS.

    What was the deal with these? Were the cards right up to the edge of the box?

    There are no 9's no 10's three 8's, two 7's and three 6's out of a total of only 402 graded. Two of the 8's are Aarons!

    Super scarce set. Limited distribution?

    Lol, all of the above. 56 years later and a lot of digging by many people has not turned up a lot of information. There are a couple of what I consider "experts" over on Net 54. The cards were on both 3oz and 6oz boxes so the ones on the 3oz were right at the edge or around it so that is part of the reason they are hard to find with full boarders. The experts have been researching for years which players were on which flavors and box sizes and from what I gather have compiled an extensive list. These were sort of a test run in 1962 and rumored to have only been distributed in the Chicago and Milwaukee areas so yes, very limited and very scarce. Obviously, if it was a crappy flavor of Jell-O or pudding and not a "star" player, the amount of them sold or still in existence is probably fewer. I can say that up until I started to submit mine to PSA a few months back, there were fewer than 300 slabbed. I wanted to have a set, or as close to one as I can get, all in slabs. And while I would like to have them all with full borders and numerical grades, I know that is never going to happen. Personally, I currently own 20 with numerical grades and I'm fine with getting ones I don't have in any condition. It is rumored there are probably fewer than 10 complete sets in existence and I would guess that the number is closer to 5. I know someone that has 2 complete and 2 more only missing a few of the real scarce cards. There is currently a Curt Simmons on Ebay. This is a card that rarely comes up but is the 3rd one this year. The two prior were slabbed. This one is pretty decent and is currently at $321. I expect it to bring $400 or more. Would love if it sold for less, lol. Most of the star cards are readily available, just not with full boarders. Heck, Mantle is probably the easiest to find. What I've found is that due to the scarcity of this set, the hardcore collectors are pretty tight lipped with the info but as I said, there are some guys out there with a wealth of knowledge. I know there are even a couple guys on CU that know way more than I do. Anyhow, I have completely fallen in love with this set and will continue to plug away as long as I can. Completing this set is like dating a super model. You dream that one day you will but for the vast majority of us, it's just never going to happen!

  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2018 6:17PM

    Thanks for the info! Here's Harmon.

    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 69 ✭✭

    This forum made me curious, so I went to my pile of post and jello and found Boyer. My question is: Do you think I should get it graded. My plan if I do get it graded is to put it in my vintage Yankees custom set. I'm posting a scan.

  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭

    It looks like it will get an "Authentic" grade, but you never know. I would get it graded, especially if the other cards in your Yankees set are.

    Card displays very well. Too bad about the left border, that's what the biggest problem on my Killebrew is.

    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 69 ✭✭

    Yeah I see what you mean about the left border. Was that way when I got it. I try to get all my vintage graded plus relics over $15. I have an awesome batch of Whitey Fords I want to get graded after the first of the year. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the input.

  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

    @bammerbb said:
    This forum made me curious, so I went to my pile of post and jello and found Boyer. My question is: Do you think I should get it graded. My plan if I do get it graded is to put it in my vintage Yankees custom set. I'm posting a scan.

    Yeah, I would need to see more of the left boarder to say 100% positive. They are somewhat flexible if it has the yellow from the edge even if the black line isn't there....I can't explain why. Either way, on a $7 or $8 bulk sub it's not going to be a bad thing to get it slabbed. Not a ton of those out there.

  • bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 69 ✭✭

    Thanks again for all the input. Now I have another question. If the cards do NOT have the red Post on it, are all the rest of my cards Jello's???

  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭

    Depends on the year. In 1962 both regular and Canadian Post had a "red Post" on them, but in 1963 they did not. 1963 Jello's are a little smaller than Post.

    I think Jello only made cards in 1962 and 1963 but I am not an expert.

    In 1961 Post had two types, one on the boxes that you had to cut out and one perforated that was part of a send in team(?) set.

    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

    Also, an easy way to tell the difference between the 1963 Jell-O and Post cards is by the red line dividing the stats. The Jell-O cards have a shorter line and ends close to the stats but on the Post, the line extends almost to the boarder.

  • bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 69 ✭✭

    Ok Promethius and everyone. This helps me out a lot.

  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

    This thread and being the only set on the registry is so lonely. I long for the day when someone else will join so I'm not my own one man wolf pack.

  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭

    There's a thread on the Community/Trading Card and Memorabilia forum; "Value of complete 1962 Jello boxes?"

    Some good pictures of a couple of complete boxes.

    Shows why the cards are so rarely found with borders all the way around.

    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

    @JoeBanzai said:
    There's a thread on the Community/Trading Card and Memorabilia forum; "Value of complete 1962 Jello boxes?"

    Some good pictures of a couple of complete boxes.

    Shows why the cards are so rarely found with borders all the way around.

    Lol, yeah, I know, I posted the links! ;)

  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭

    @PROMETHIUS88 said:

    @JoeBanzai said:
    There's a thread on the Community/Trading Card and Memorabilia forum; "Value of complete 1962 Jello boxes?"

    Some good pictures of a couple of complete boxes.

    Shows why the cards are so rarely found with borders all the way around.

    Lol, yeah, I know, I posted the links! ;)

    I figured that thread would get pushed down/off the page and figured there needed to be a notation on this thread.

    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

    @JoeBanzai said:

    I figured that thread would get pushed down/off the page and figured there needed to be a notation on this thread.

    Just not a lot of love for the hand cut stuff!

  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

    This thread and registry category is so lonely. I really feel like the Culligan man sometimes.

  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭

    Yes, I feel the same way, but it's because I am just generally a weirdo!

    On another depressing note, missed out on a Killebrew ungraded 1971 Milk Duds card that was cut out well outside the borders. Thought it might become a 9 and be an upgrade for my set. Went for $30.00.

    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

    @JoeBanzai said:
    Yes, I feel the same way, but it's because I am just generally a weirdo!

    On another depressing note, missed out on a Killebrew ungraded 1971 Milk Duds card that was cut out well outside the borders. Thought it might become a 9 and be an upgrade for my set. Went for $30.00.

    That's the worst feeling to miss out on something that you need like that. Not only was the price right...I'm guessing, but probably something that doesn't come around often that you would have paid more for???

  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭

    @PROMETHIUS88 said:

    @JoeBanzai said:
    Yes, I feel the same way, but it's because I am just generally a weirdo!

    On another depressing note, missed out on a Killebrew ungraded 1971 Milk Duds card that was cut out well outside the borders. Thought it might become a 9 and be an upgrade for my set. Went for $30.00.

    That's the worst feeling to miss out on something that you need like that. Not only was the price right...I'm guessing, but probably something that doesn't come around often that you would have paid more for???

    Yes, had my eye on it and neglected to put in a snipe. No guarantee it would have gotten a higher grade than the one I have, but my set is kind of maxed out, cards I need are too expensive or very hard to find.

    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

    I missed out on a PSA 4 Koufax the other day. Seller had a BIN and someone snagged it right away. If anyone knows who got it and is interested in turning it for a quick profit, please let me know!

Sign In or Register to comment.