Home U.S. Coin Forum

Totally OT: Baby It's Cold Outside...

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know this is like, totally off-topic, but... Can I whine? I'd really like to whine....

First, a foot of snow is dumped on me, then this:

I really hate days when it doesn't even reach -10. Wind chills predicted -50 and lower. These temps are pretty rare around here, but they happen.

Remember to trickle some water if your pipes freeze. Don't lick any flag poles.

On topic, my Apollo coins have been moved from delivery today to tomorrow. That's okay, I'm not going out tomorrow anyway. :) I wonder if the cold will affect deliveries...

I need to go dig out my thermal underwear...

Comments

• TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Low tonight in fargo is -36, wind chill -65, high tomorrow is -18.

I moved up here from the southeast for a job. Having some regrets...

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tetromibi said:

As long as the heater is working and you have a mug of hot chocolate, all will be well.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today will be a shorts and short sleeve day in Sunny San Diego :)B)B)B)

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 7:25AM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Today will be a shorts and short sleeve day in Sunny San Diego :)B)B)B)

Ahhh...San Diego. One of the best places I’ve been to in the U.S. Beautiful city and clean too.

• Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@BackroadJunkie said:
    I know this is like, totally off-topic, but... Can I whine? I'd really like to whine....

Remember to trickle some water if your pipes freeze. Don't lick any flag poles.

Stuck....stuck

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul .... To finish that saying...."....in the Klondike." :D Eighteen degrees here this morning.... relatively warm compared to the minus four degrees last week.... :s Cheers, RickO

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

We’ve had a pretty mild winter in southern New England. Haven’t had much snow. It’s been cold though. Forecast says 40 for Sunday. Beach day!!!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's pretty mild here in NC, snow, but not all that cold.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vegas will be 65 today with winds 1 to 5 mph. Few scattered high clouds. Just right for Jan 29th. Will start warming in Feb and will plant tomatoes and carrots next month.

:):):)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 10:32AM

BABY .... it's cold INSIDE B)

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am actually worried for my daughter and her boyfriend (ages 22 and 24).

I have gone to great lengths to caution them about how quickly frostbite can damage you.

They have never really experienced this kind of cold! It has not really been this cold for a long time.

• cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

These last ~10 days and the next two or three days coming up have been really tough. Three snowstorms, each followed by brutal cold, each time colder than the last. SE Wisconsin can be rough, although not as bad as northern Wisconsin/Minnesota/North Dakota, but this is about as bad as I've experienced. Low tonight, -25. High/low for tomorrow is -11/-29. The all-time record low for my city is -28. I remember that one, 2003. Record could be broken.

Jeff

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:

I have gone to great lengths to caution them about how quickly frostbite can damage you.

They have never really experienced this kind of cold! It has not really been this cold for a long time.

Frostbite possibility would scare me, no doubt!

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:

Yeah, sub-minute time to frostbite when there's -50 windchills.

Cars fail all the time in sub-zero temps, especially in places that aren't prepared for it...

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

-48 in ND per my son. School busses running, everyone off to work, just a normal day it seems.
    All do carry dozens of "hand warmer" pouches in their cars. And they dress for the occasion for sure.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sort of sounds like winter. Seems to come once a year.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tetromibi said:

Well I use to live in North Dakota and have experienced -30+ weather. Just stay inside and try and stay busy. It will only last a couple of days.

Take Care

• fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just lost another day at my office today. Hard to justify bringing staff in when 80% of patients cancel. To keep it coin related this cold is going to cut into my coin budget with less production and very high heat and snowplow bills

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

They have proactively cancelled schools through Thursday here in WI. -55 wind chill tonight with -30 real temp!

DANG!

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 1:36PM

Ewwww we just got 12" snow but nice 30° weather. :| Be careful out the bundle up!
    This was shot at 7 am today. A regular car would have problems driving through this wet thick heavy snow.

• fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    BABY .... it's cold INSIDE B)

Cuddle alert tonight! We're coming back from Daytona to Detroit. Extra blankets and snuggle up!!

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

+27 and snow here in the Alaska interior.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the up side I have the next 2 days to play with my coins. Perhaps I will even have time to take pictures of the ones I want to sell

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 2:52PM

At least we missed the snow here in the Hotlanta area! Ain't gonna be hot tonight though!

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    It's only going to be 66 and sunny today here in Florida so I may have to find my jacket. :/

Yeah it's dang chilly here in SW Fla..........in the 60's brrrrr

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been unusually sunny and mild here in the fourth corner of the country. The better weather will be on its way east. There's snow on the top of Mt. Baker - we just don't always get to see it from here.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

No snow here but tomorrow's high temp predicted at ZERO Degrees with a wind chill of -35 - 40 degrees.

Sunday's high is predicted at 51 degrees. B)

GrandAm :)
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was kind of good being stranded and not working because the snow plows taking their time getting to our neighbourhood - I did peruse through some Russian coins I bought over there and hadn't looked at in a while.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Low 60's and clear skies in the SF Bay Area today. Tomorrow we can expect to have a storm system come in from the Pacific that will give us lots of rain. Snow is always possible on the higher Bay Area peaks, but the snow will really come down in the Sierras. Love the snow packed Sierras in the wintertime.

• StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Colder than my ex-wife's heart.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Outhaul said:
    Colder than a well digger's ass.

Colder than a mother in law's kiss.

..... apparently you never met my mother-in-law..... :o

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Outhaul said:
    Colder than a well digger's ass.

Colder than a mother in law's kiss.

I have not spoken to my mother in law in 20 years. I did not want to interrupt her. :)

That is very funny!

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweating doing yard work down here in the 60's in sunny San Diego.
    Cheers!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the day when I lived in Edmonton Alberta in the early 90's (Go Oilers!), it was normal to have a week or so each winter where the day time highs were ≤-30F and creeping down at night. I always say, one has not lived if one has not experienced that. And Edmontonians just went about their regular day when it was that cold, none of these shutdowns or panics we are seeing for a few days of chilly weather across the US. Just put on the toque and go out there eh! Thems Albertans are just tough......

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting hammered by snow here in Buffalo.
    So, I'll dig out in the morning.....It's 8F here,so I can't complain about the temps......

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lucky to live in Hawaii and it's still cold outside !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

2:00 AM -18 F, wind chill -48 F

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in N. Illinois. At 2:26am it is -20 out and feels like -46 windchill.
    Tomorrow a low of -30 and windchills near -70.
    I'm going outside for about 15-20 seconds to experience this. It's a once in a lifetime thing.

Later, Paul.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file