Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Totally OT: Baby It's Cold Outside...

Comments

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow... But apparently cold will stop the mail.

usatoday:No mail will be delivered to parts of seven states as polar vortex chills postal delivery

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 6:09AM

@Stooge said:
    I live in N. Illinois. At 2:26am it is -20 out and feels like -46 windchill.
    Tomorrow a low of -30 and windchills near -70.
    I'm going outside for about 15-20 seconds to experience this. It's a once in a lifetime thing.

Actually...... Probably more than once in a lifetime from hereon. Melting of the arctic ice from global warming is somehow driving the cold fronts farther south so the experts are saying and this will happen more often. So prepare to be Canadian (it terms of weather at least).

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

last update...just took a quick stroll outside to grab the newspaper.

7:10 AM -26 F, wind chill -61 F

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep...and it's not even registering the wind chill. I guess the gauge is frozen.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 6:43AM

At 7 36 AM, -21. NW Indiana, between-27 and -33 wind chill.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Balmy 22 here!

• Options
    JeffnluJeffnlu Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭

-32 this morning, actual temp. You know it's cold when the mail is cancelled.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's colder than I wouldn't do that for a Klondike bar....

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should see my dog high stepping it in the cold snow when I let her out to go the bathroom. The crazy thing is the forecast is for rain on Sunday. How do you go from -30 to +40 in one week?

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 7:45AM

@hchcoin said:
    You should see my dog high stepping it in the cold snow when I let her out to go the bathroom. The crazy thing is the forecast is for rain on Sunday. How do you go from -30 to +40 in one week?

Chicago
    I live in a north suburb of Chicago, common occurrence round these parts...
    -21* last report, job I was scheduled to work today was canceled, so I am home today.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been through this once in a lifetime event many, many times.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 8:44AM

7:00 am in San Diego and I am walking around outside barefooted and in shorts ... B)>:)o:)

And it is supposed to pour in Long Beach Tomorrow :#

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Wabbit2313 said:
    They have proactively cancelled schools through Thursday here in WI. -55 wind chill tonight with -30 real temp!

DANG!

Has tendency to keep out the riff raff tho.

Classic North Dakota expression! "Forty below keeps the Riff Raff away."

Heard similar about Superior, Wisconsin.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Timbuk3 said:
    Lucky to live in Hawaii and it's still cold outside !!! :'(

It is cold. Had to wear sweat pants at night the last week. Down to the mid 60's. Brrrr >:)

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grew up in Minnesota and feel your pain. -25 and blowing is far worse than -50 and still in Alaska - have lived in both.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow... But apparently cold will stop the mail.

usatoday:No mail will be delivered to parts of seven states as polar vortex chills postal delivery

And yet mail gets delivered everyday in Alaska... Not uncommon for us to be -40 for days.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of beverage vendors are stopping deliveries today because:
    1: Diesels won't start without a portable heater
    2: Product freezes and explodes in this cold.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like a good sign. Extreme cold kills the insects that damage conifers and other cold climate trees. When it does not get cold enough to kill the pests, they continue to breed and eat and kill trees.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Seems like a good sign. Extreme cold kills the insects that damage conifers and other cold climate trees. When it does not get cold enough to kill the pests, they continue to breed and eat and kill trees.

The cold today and tomorrow is also supposed to kill a lot of dormant emerald ash borers.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's about 30 here, but windy, definitely chilly to walk in!

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was living in Rockford on January 20, 1985 when that city and Chicago hit an actual low temperature of minus 27 degrees. With a 20 to 30 mile an hour wind, it felt like minus 45. Coldest weekend of my life. We had a couple of similar incidents through 1989, when I moved back closer to STL.

The point being, it is not a 'once in a lifetime' thingie.

It has been a fairly rare thing since the year 1997.

Minus 14 Fahrenheit (actual temp) here overnight (1/30/19), about 100 miles north of STL.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our local USPS is closed but UPS delivered my Apollo coins, today. Go figure.

• Options
    edited January 30, 2019 1:28PM

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

My carrier drives with his windows down. I expect that most UPS drivers don't. Also I unnerstand that UPS drivers don't/aren't supposed to make left turns.

I have seen them do it tho.

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't mind this weather at all personally to live in. Just can't describe the stress you feel 24 hours a day when you're a heating contractor and it's -25 degrees outside. The phone doesn't stop. Your guys check off 3 calls, 7 came in while they were doing them. Just not fun, thank god it's 45 this weekend just have to power through a couple days and hope nothing serious goes wrong. Check in on your elderly neighbors!

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

My carrier drives with his windows down. I expect that most UPS drivers don't. Also I unnerstand that UPS drivers don't/aren't supposed to make left turns.

I had real-time tracking on my package (just delivered), and he took the craziest route I've ever seen to get to me. At one point, he was a half-block away from me (I even saw the truck), but then took another two hours to get here because he drove this bizzaro route.

And two stops before getting to my house, he took lunch. Grrrrr....

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Global warming ,,,,,,,,,,, I don't think so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Burrrr, it is COLD,,,,,,,,, :#:#:#:#:#

GrandAm :)
  • Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@PhilLynott said:
    Check in on your elderly neighbors!

I am my elderly neighbor.

That's funny right there. I don't care who you are :)

• Options

@GRANDAM said:
    Global warming ,,,,,,,,,,, I don't think so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Burrrr, it is COLD,,,,,,,,, :#:#:#:#:#

Nuttin to do with global warming. Notice that it's GLOBAL and not LOCALIZED.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PipestonePete said:
    I had never tried the boiling water experiment before so with a reading of -22* at 10:30 A.M. this morning I gave it a shot.

HUGE WARNING: Do not throw the hot water above your head and watch it come down. While it does give off some heat, it doesn't freeze the larger drops and can still cause burns. Had a fellow coworker do this at -40 and had burns to his eyes and face afterwards.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

I> @ErrorsOnCoins said:

7:00 am in San Diego and I am walking around outside barefooted and in shorts ... B)>:)o:)

And it is supposed to pour in Long Beach Tomorrow :#

I am OFFICIALLY awarding you a PCGS Forum “YOU SUCK” award.

• Options

Just drove by my Amish neighbor on the way to the gas station

There he is, same hat, same coat as normal. On his manure wagon, no enclosure, just sitting on top of his seat going out to his field to spread manure. Nothing covering his face, ears, or neck. Takes him about 15 minutes per load. He was on his second load. Smiling and waving like normal. Twenty below doesn’t stop chores.

What a total stud!

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just drove by my Amish neighbor on the way to the gas station
    There he is, same hat, same coat as normal. On his manure wagon, no enclosure, just sitting on top of his seat going out to his field to spread manure. Nothing covering his face, ears, or neck. Takes him about 15 minutes per load. He was on his second load. Smiling and waving like normal. Twenty below doesn’t stop chores.
    What a total stud!

Sounds like the behavior of a fool to me.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2019 11:25PM

Snowing in Maui today ...... up on Haleakala ~ House of the Sun B)

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it did. Cold, windy and rainy that parks all over Maui were closed yesterday.

This is off of Twiter a little while ago

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stayed home today, would have been a lot of shoveling to get out. East of Seattle about 600' elevation we get more snow - but it looks great! I can catch up on some of my numismatic reading. From the back deck:

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

Who was it that told me it never got below 76 degrees in Hawaii??????

Who was that?????

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since were talking war stories 1982 thru 1987 North Slope Alaska ARCiO oil fields -65 ambiant everyday. When the wind blew in white out condition sometimes up to -100. Those were rare days but the -65 every day December thru February. What an idiot I was but I wanted the money!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well it's Tuesday at 10:15 pm in Hawaii. Temp is 68 if that means anything !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

The damn groundhog lied...

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it was awful yesterday, only got up to 67F.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2019 7:52AM

Everyone always talks about the weather but nobody ever does anything about it......

;)

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

-30 here, but it is supposed to warm up this week. At least I didn't have to shovel this morning.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's chilly here, mid 30's. Not bad considering. :)

• Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

Snow is an opportunity to tap your creative side

I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2019 2:42PM

Lately it's be so cold in Hawaii. Currently 75.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file