Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives (19C[A-H], B49296, B49297, B15054, 19XA1, 19XA2)

Comments

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nurmaler said:
    only ~200 gold proofs left in stock, & ~900 gold unc. (they still have 15k and 5k "in backorder" respectively).

How do you know how many are in each backorder? Aren't they mint to demand, so to speak? So if someone ordered 20k MS ones, they would have to make them all ms instead of proof.

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@nurmaler said:
    only ~200 gold proofs left in stock, & ~900 gold unc. (they still have 15k and 5k "in backorder" respectively).

How do you know how many are in each backorder? Aren't they mint to demand, so to speak? So if someone ordered 20k MS ones, they would have to make them all ms instead of proof.

• Options

@jwitten said:

@nurmaler said:

I would agree with you that if someone ordered 20K uncs, they would scrap their current backorder assumptions/productions and fill that order.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nurmaler said:

@jwitten said:

@nurmaler said:

Odd. I thought they produced as many as were ordered, up to the gold total. I don't think this is really accurate, but who knows.

• Options

@jwitten said:

@nurmaler said:

@jwitten said:

@nurmaler said:

Odd. I thought they produced as many as were ordered, up to the gold total. I don't think this is really accurate, but who knows.

I agree, 100%. The value add here is that after the ~1,100 in stock run out, there's a total of 20k left.
    Also, the fact that the Mint has such a similar amount left between the two on the first 30k produced and sold, that tells me they did a very decent job in modeling demand so far...

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't see the press operator standing there minting whatever coin is ordered next. I assume they do forecasts and adjust for large changes or trends if they happen to occur.

I recall with the Baseball HOF gold one or the other sold out first, so as numbers approached the limit they obviously struck what they felt was appropriate to finish out the mintage.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Kudbegud said:
    My order for both half's and both $1 is still processing. I see quite a few forum members are in this same boat. Odd don't you think?
    My order for the gold and Kennedy set shipped with the 5oz. "Back Ordered". Just like lots of others here.

Gold and >$300 are technically expedited orders.

Was your silver order >$300? Mine wasn't, though my 2 half sets did ship, though there was only one product type in the box...

The big order is Priority Mail and on the way minus the puck. The small order didn't break $300 but I went too fast and I missed changing the shipment method so it's 2nd Day Air.......oh well......and still "Processing"

• Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2019 12:31AM

Does back ordered counted in the the 51 000 sales or?

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2019 1:55AM

@BackroadJunkie said:

@nurmaler said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:

>

Note the enrollments are sold out. The print itself is still currently unavailable.

Are you sure of this? When I ordered during the first hour the print was sold out but the enrollment was still available.

Even stranger it showed my enrollment as shipped with a 0 amount. On the enrollments do they ship first and charge the credit card later due to one's option to return? Or did the 0 just mean the product was paid and 0 was due?

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I can't see the press operator standing there minting whatever coin is ordered next. I assume they do forecasts and adjust for large changes or trends if they happen to occur.

This. The Mint probably has a pretty good idea how many of each to strike and strikes what, 80%? (Thus the backorder numbers in nurmaler's post.) Then they can finish the last 20% adjusting for demand.

They do overstrike when they get close, so that could easily help fulfill one version or the other in the end...

I recall with the Baseball HOF gold one or the other sold out first, so as numbers approached the limit they obviously struck what they felt was appropriate to finish out the mintage.

They went from "available" then after they thought they took enough orders, they started a "waiting list". No one knew exactly how it sold out because of that. It gets even messier when one considers the issue was oversold by over a hundred coins. (Not complaining, mind you. Because I think I got one of those. :wink: )

However, it may have been true for the silver dollars. They sold out then went back on sale again months later.

But that was all under PBGS, and they sucked got technically challenged toward the end of their contract...

• Options

@northcoin said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@nurmaler said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:

>

Note the enrollments are sold out. The print itself is still currently unavailable.

Are you sure of this? When I ordered during the first hour the print was sold out but the enrollment was still available.

You can go to the site now and look. The Enrollment is sold out, but the print is currently unavailable.
    Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Engraved Print Enrollment
    Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Engraved Print: Mission

Even stranger it showed my enrollment as shipped with a 0 amount. On the enrollments do they ship first and charge the credit card later due to one's option to return? Or did the 0 just mean the product was paid and 0 was due?

All enrollments are billed zero dollars.

I think it's more of a way to verify your subscription. (It works the same way with US Mint coin enrollments.) They'll bill you as the prints are shipped. (I'll bet one gets released on July 20, no? :smile: )

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alohagary said:
    Does back ordered counted in the the 51 000 sales or?

yes. A back order is an actual order

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pucks shipped.
    Gold shipped.
    Silver dollars still processing?????????

• Options

I'll have my 5oz and 1 oz unc tuesday

• Options

Has anyone seen inhand photos of these coins?

• Options

@gotboostedvr6 said:

There's one right in this thread if you go back and look

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    Pucks shipped.
    Gold shipped.
    Silver dollars still processing?????????

Very odd that the $1's and the $0.50 are still processing. Out of character for PFSweb. Any info from an insider would be appreciated.

• Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

@gotboostedvr6 said:

Its on page 9 of this thread...

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine are delivering in the morning 8am.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine are at my PO Box. Will pick them up them tomorrow afternoon after work.

I guess it is early enough that I can open and inspect them to see if the quality is there to make it worthwhile to pay the grading fees and still qualify for 1st Strike Apollo Label. :#

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2019 12:32PM

@Pedzola said:
    Mine will arrive on Weds.

I see an ebay seller with these:

Any way to get this label if I submit coins myself? I only see the astronaut memorial label as an option. I like this moon one a lot better.

I forgot to put “ In my Opinion “ forgive me.
    If your looking for a specific LABEL that would be reserved for the dealers then you would have to buy from them. However you could check the PCGS web site for the labels they will offer the common folks, like me they might mention them in label section. Maybe you might see it there.

• Options
    edited January 27, 2019 1:04PM

Gold Proof on back order... B)

In Stock date May 1...... :#

• Options

All the PCGS gold is gone on Ebay.

Reckon 20,000-25,000 made? I don't have a clue.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    All the PCGS gold is gone on Ebay.

Reckon 20,000-25,000 made? I don't have a clue.

30,000 based on nurmaler's numbers. There were 20,000 available for backorder

• Options

Coin Collector at HSN selling the 5 oz Proof for $599.95
    It looks Awesome on HDTV!

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

@CCC2010 said:

He sure is pumping them!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smokincoin said:

@CCC2010 said:

He sure is pumping them!

Also trying to sell the $1 silver for $199.95. Whew! :o

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:

@thefinn said:

@Hemispherical said:
    Apollo first day order (PMs and set), shipping label generated! :) Edit: Just need to be home when they are going to be delivered.

Apollo second day order (clads) is processing.

The Print (USS1247xxxx)... still back order.

That's why post office boxes are so nice to have.

Mine are coming UPS. I have already directed a HOLD at UPS location so I can pick them up after work on Tuesday. :)

UPS and FedEx deliver to my PO Box. I just put the physical address of the post office down as my address, and my box number and the unit number. Voila!

thefinn
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2019 6:46PM

@smokincoin said:

@CCC2010 said:

He sure is pumping them!

Does Mike say how many 5 Oz pucks he has on hand? :*:* Not saying I am going to buy one I am just curious. :*:*
    Is that for a Anacs, Igc 70 or a PCGS graded one?

• Options

@Gluggo said:

@smokincoin said:

@CCC2010 said:

He sure is pumping them!

Does Mike say how many 5 Oz pucks he has on hand? :*:* Not saying I am going to buy one I am just curious. :*:*

That's just raw for the the 5 oz that he is selling at that price tonight....but he says to check out the HSN website for the NGC 70's tomorrow Monday around 10 am for the graded 5 oz. That NGC holder looked really cool for the 5 oz as well.

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2019 7:00PM

@Gluggo said:

@smokincoin said:

@CCC2010 said:

He sure is pumping them!

https://hsn.com/search?query=2019+apollo

• Options
    SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    So this is the first one. All the more interesting. I'm in for the limit. Got a hunch.

Actually FYI, the Philadelphia Mint has produced a 6-ounce medal ($199.50) with a mintage of 1,075 units and a 12-ounce medal ($334.00) with a mintage of 3,700 units back in 1988 for the AMERICA IN SPACE PROGRAM. Both medals have a 1988-P mintmark and both were uncirculated. Remember those days?

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SoundPoint said:

@JimTyler said:
    So this is the first one. All the more interesting. I'm in for the limit. Got a hunch.

Actually FYI, the Philadelphia Mint has produced a 6-ounce medal ($199.50) with a mintage of 1,075 units and a 12-ounce medal ($334.00) with a mintage of 3,700 units back in 1988 for the AMERICA IN SPACE PROGRAM. Both medals have a 1988-P mintmark and both were uncirculated. Remember those days?

Thanks for reminding me about my hunch. Note to self ... your hunches suck.

• Options

This is actually the first 5 inch curved commemorative coin and the first one ever struck in .999 silver issued by the US Mint.

• Options
    SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

@CCC2010 said:
    This is actually the first 5 inch curved commemorative coin and the first one ever struck in .999 silver issued by the US Mint.
    **Also, I think I read where this 5oz puck is also the First Proof and first coin this size with a reeded edge. A lot of firsts with this coin!

• Options

@SoundPoint said:

@CCC2010 said:
    **Also, I think I read where this 5oz puck is also the First Proof and first coin this size with a reeded edge. A lot of firsts with this coin!

Yeah! It's also the first commem to stick you with at $50 surcharge!

Yay!

(Or not...) :wink:

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

I'm interested in seeing what the "enhanced, reverse proof" Kennedy looks like. Mint propaganda photo leaves details to be desired.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options

Will anyone post their 5 oz Apollo coin when they get them today or tomorrow? :)

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@CCC2010 said:
    Will anyone post their 5 oz Apollo coin when they get them today or tomorrow? :)

I'll post my 5 oz and golds tomorrow, but some others should get theirs today.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

Well, my Jefferson Presidential Medal has shipped.

Bought a day after the Apollo silver dollars, but hey! At least something silver did ship...

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Well, my Jefferson Presidential Medal has shipped.

Bought a day after the Apollo silver dollars, but hey! At least something silver did ship...

Something Silver this way comes.....

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

@mt_msla said:
    I'm interested in seeing what the "enhanced, reverse proof" Kennedy looks like. Mint propaganda photo leaves details to be desired.

• Options

I imagine the (frost?) break in front of JFK’s nose would preclude a 70... right?

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

@planetsteve I appreciate the photographs!

I can't tell - does it look similar to the light finish reverse proof from last year? Maybe that occurrence last year gave someone at the mint an idea for this year?

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options

No problem! I plan on using more than my iPhone to post more photos, but this is right out of the box I got an hour ago.

I haven't seen last year's coin, or many mint products period since like 2014, so I'm not sure how it looks head to head.

• Options

Weird. All 3 of my Mint orders shipped, including 3x5 (15!) pucks, all shipped. The weird part is that the shipments are all broken up even though I placed a single order. There are as many as 4 sub-packages with the order including one where the 5 pucks ended up in 3 different packages!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file