Home U.S. Coin Forum

FUN Show final wrap up with images

spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 13, 2019 2:20PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi Folks,
On Saturday I scanned the floor again for 2 hours prior to going to the airport. I went back and bought one more coin that I had looked at previously. I also had a look at Ha online auction lots. The one I liked the best is going for big money, more than I want to spend so I won't be getting it. I am still in the running for the one I liked 2nd most, but I suspect I may be outbid today in the online auction.

So I will sum my show up by showing some of my purchases, in order of when I acquired them.

First, I have always wanted a Oregon Trail half and I finally got one. Comparing to 65's I have viewed, this is much better in surfaces (I could not find a single mark and 65's typically have as much as a dozen), and color. It was previously auctioned at Stacks and here is the description:

Lot Description
1926-S Oregon Trail Memorial. MS-65 (PCGS).
Silver commems with the eye appeal and technical quality that this Oregon Half possesses are anything but common in today's market. Both sides are beautifully toned around the peripheries in vivid turquoise-blue, orange-russet, and (over the lower reverse) emerald-green colors. The centers shine forth with undisturbed brilliance, and all areas are bathed in shimmering mint luster. In addition to the toning, the surfaces are also of premium quality due to an overall pristine look to the features. A coin that is sure to command a large premium at auction.

On the same purchase from a dealer, I also obtained this seated quarter. I have not see an AU this eye appealing in 15 years for this date and mm. It has the typical weak strike of a 77-CC quater but otherwise a stunner.

I found this barber quarter at a dealers table and it was one of his ebay listings, glad I got to see it hand finally and happy to get it. Looks much better in hand than what my images shows here, the toning is not as splotchy. Nice blue tone in some areas, no hairlines and the surfaces are almost prooflike.

Next is the nice FUN show PCGS sample they handed out at the luncheon.

This one I found late in the day on Friday. I love the rich patina on this quarter, as did CAC. It is only a slight upgrade from one I had for this date and die marriage, but I just love the 45 grade in small bust quarters if not messed with.

I wish there would have been a few more bust quarters that would fit my set, but not to be. There seems to be a paucity of great bust quarters available right now within my grade range interest. Still a fun show for sure.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all the FUN reporting and good to see nice coins.

• ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report! All nice pieces with color and eye appeal sweet!!

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickups! Glad you had FUN. I did, too. :star:

• northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks as well. Should be a nice set of bust quarters when you get it completed.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coins, the Oregon is a stunner! Thanks for the report.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice haul, but was hoping to see that cc gold ;):(

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report...love that 35 bust quarter!!! All great!!!

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kaz said:
    Great looking coins, the Oregon is a stunner!

Yea...Wow!

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    Nice haul, but was hoping to see that cc gold ;):(

Hi CB,
    I need to get the image right before posting it. Some gold coins are hard to get right....

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking Barber. Thanks for the show report

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pick ups!
    That 05O quarter is a tough sleeper date in the series, and that one looks spectacular.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous pick-ups... even the Ike looks pretty neat, of which I'm usually not a fan. Thanks for the show insight!

Got Crust....y gold?
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for indulging me SH. Looks like a winner!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Oregon piece, especially the reverse. I like the darker rim toning as it accentuates the center, to shine brightly as if it was being illuminated by the sun. Nice effect.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

All are sweet. Killer 05-O Barber!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins! The 1926-S Oregon trail to my eye has the look of a coin usually graded at the 67 level. Super attractive!! Was it in an older holder or more recently graded?

Jeff

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Carson City Quarter and Eagle are sweet looking. Good job.

• alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

Loved the coins and your report

@cecropiamoth said:
    Great coins! The 1926-S Oregon trail to my eye has the look of a coin usually graded at the 67 level. Super attractive!! Was it in an older holder or more recently graded?

Jeff

Older holder, but blue insert, I need to check on generation.

Best, SH

• steelieleesteelielee Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Nice pickups, quite the variety....really like that 77cc quarter.

Many successful BST transactions with dozens of board members, references on request.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins and you can be proud of them.... That gold CC is really nice...Thanks for showing us your new coins... Cheers, RickO

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty coins. The Oregon is really cool. Love the color on the 1890 gold.
    Nice sample from PCGS.

Larry

• Josh32Josh32 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Great lookin coins and great pictures!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! Love the CC gold! :love:

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a big admirer of your pics and presentation.
    Of course, your taste in coins helps as well.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

The quarters are gorgeous!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins. 1905-O in AU is a nice version of the date and mint. Congratulations!

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful coins!

I sold rather than bought this trip to FUN, although I did pick this up:

@spacehayduke said:
    Catbert,
    Okay here it is, I found out it had a TV so decided to put and not my image which needs work. It has that classic Euro look on the surfaces - kind of a honey-russet color, dirt in the devices, some minor black streaks/smudges, like it was sitting in a canvas bag in a Euro bank vault for over a century. Whether it was or not who knows but alot of the gold coins being repatriated these days have that look (not all do but many). These attributes typically can only be had for a premium on gold coins. Great CC type eagle for my collection.

Best, SH

As long as this thread is still going, I guess I will post my image of the eagle for comparison. Thanks for all of the kind words folks........

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file