Home U.S. Coin Forum

Apollo Countdown

OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody see the countdown on the US Mint webpage? There's a box in the upper right hand corner. Apollo 11 Coin Launch Countdown. [61] Days [13] Hours [58] Minutes [00] Seconds Blastoff!!!!! What a cool idea!

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone That is new and must be on the desktop version of the site.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is new and must be on the desktop version of the site.

I think it is just on the desktop version. What a long timer too, set for a couple months!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep...just went there...at the top of the Apollo 11 coin page... a lot of good information on that page as well. Cheers, RickO

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Will it be a Launch Day success , or will it be some sort of aborted premature splashdown ? The launch day record for the US Mint has not been good since about 2006.

edited November 25, 2018 7:57AM

I think there will be two major spikes of interest for the coins.

-Initial release (24 Jan)
    -Dates of launch/landing/return of Apollo 11 (16/20/24 Jul)

The numimastic space enthusiasts and coin flippers will predominate the initial releases. The rest of the public will be paying the price in July when the slabs hit the market.

Just guessing...

• ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

One would think July 20 would be the obvious date to release these coins.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

@ADG said:
    One would think July 20 would be the obvious date to release these coins.

I agree. But this give the Mint the entire year to sell them all versus half the year.

52 Days and counting....

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever you do, DO NOT LOG IN TO THE mint WEBSITE and then search - it is a waste of time.
    It is 1000% easier to just go to usmint.gov FORGET YOUR CUSTOMERS.....

You can find what you need as an outsider. If you are a registered customer, you can't get to the page you need.

Once again, my distain for the US mint is confirmed.

Although these designs are far better than the other carp they have been peddling, I'll probably sit this one out as well. Sorry to be so blunt, but if the mint was a public entity, they would be bankrupt.

Now I have an opportunity to tell them what I think on a pop up survey. They get a D minus.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aaah, I feel better now. I told the mint what I thought of them on their survey and even offered a phone number to call.

I am certain I will never hear from them.

Carry on!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does need a weather forecast to successful launch ;)

@Paradisefound said:

Can you imagine if the sale of the Apollo Coins were held up due to weather? "They were to be on sale at noon, but due to heavy winds we will have to reschedule for next week!"

@Onastone said:

@Paradisefound said:

Can you imagine if the sale of the Apollo Coins were held up due to weather? "They were to be on sale at noon, but due to heavy winds we will have to reschedule for next week!"

However improbable this might sound. This could happen. Bad weather knocks out electricity to the server farm. Server farm back-up generators fail to kick-in.... and the cascade of resultant hardware/software failures.

Delay, due to bad weather.

The Countdown continues!!!!!!!!!!! 14 days......tick tick tick........

Wish I could pre-load the cart.... lol ;)

Projecting a run on the JFK’s.

100,000 + HHL of 5 (assuming everyone orders the limit) = 20,000

For comparison, paladium was 15,000 and HHL of 1 and the initial “unavailabe” was about five minutes after opening. Initial, because onesies and twosies did occur for awhile.

Interesting to see how much curvature the coin has

:)

Pardon my joke ;)

@Onastone said:

@Paradisefound said:

@Paradisefound said:
    Interesting to see how much curvature the coin has

:)

Agree. That puck has some depth (height), almost 1/2 inches.

Composition: 99.9% Silver
    Diameter: 3.000 inches
    Weight: 155.517 grams
    Overall Height: 0.441 inch
    Mintage Limit: 100,000 across all five ounce proof silver coin product options

I couldn't believe the circumstance on this coin.

Picture from Seattle Times

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Image on right has the "fish eye" effect.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@Paradisefound said:
    I couldn't believe the circumstance on this coin.

Picture from Seattle Times

ATS vid of First Strike: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=seRfTZiNjBg

NEAT! I am sold now :)

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

They did a count down clock for another coin but I cant remember which one.

:) I really like the heavy 5oz

@Paradisefound said:
    :) I really like the heavy 5oz

Plus the light weight $5 gold. :)

Composition: 90% gold, 6% silver, balance copper
    Diameter: 0.850 inches
    Weight: 8.359 grams
    Overall Height: 0.141 inch
    Mintage Limit: 50,000 across all gold product options

12 DAYS and counting........

Any guesses how much the 5 oz puck is going to be? I'm guessing $225.00

A guess: $254.95

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

$219.95

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the most important events in human history - and we produce a trite coin copying a couple of photographs....Where is the vision, creativity, inspiration...?

:(

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will this even open on time given the Government shutdown?

@SkyMan said:

Should.

From summary financials:
    “Since FY 1996, the United States Mint has been operating under the United States Mint’s Public Enterprise Fund (PEF). As authorized by Public Law 104-52 (31 U.S.C. § 5136), the PEF eliminates the need for appropriations. Proceeds from the sales of circulating coins to the Federal Reserve Banks and numismatic items to the public are the source of funding for operations. Both operating expenses and capital investments are associated with the production of circulating and numismatic coins and coin-related products and protective services. Revenues in excess of amounts required by the PEF are transferred to the United States Treasury General Fund.”

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2019 8:41PM

@SkyMan said:

Great question. I might call them Monday and see if anybody is there to answer that question. But then if it’s busy at work I might totally forget. But great question.

I am going to guess their closed as they are Non essential workers. After all there is no money to pay them right?
    If there is no money to pay them I don’t think I would show up to work for free. Guaranteed money eventually or not. In fact I would be out looking for another job. That was only a guess.

• ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    One of the most important events in human history - and we produce a trite coin copying a couple of photographs....Where is the vision, creativity, inspiration...?

:wink: Where did my beer go? They are two pretty memorable photographs. Cost a lot of $$ to take them.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

The Government Shutdown hasn't affected the mint in the past, I don't believe it will come to a grinding halt here either. But just to be clear, what actually has come to a grinding halt???? According to The Balance:

"The discretionary budget funds most federal departments. But those that provide essential services are not shut down. Essential services are those that include defense, national safety, and security. Many of these agencies are set up so they can operate for weeks without a funding bill. The Defense Department warned it wouldn't pay military personnel during a shutdown.

Border Protection and Immigration, air traffic controls, and the Transportation Security Administration remain open. The Justice Department remains open, but gun permits will not be issued during the shutdown. The Postal Service has a separate source of funds, so mail continues to be delivered.

Here are the major departments that shut down:

Commerce, except National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
    Education.
    Energy. Functions that oversee the safety of the nation's nuclear arsenal, dams, and transmission lines remain open.
    Environmental Protection Agency.
    Food and Drug Administration.
    Health and Human Services.
    Housing and Urban Development.
    Interior, including National Parks. The Department of Interior announced on January 19, 2018, that parks would remain open despite a shutdown.
    Internal Revenue Service, except those processing tax returns.
    Labor, including Bureau of Labor Statistics.
    NASA.
    National Institute of Health.
    Smithsonian. The agency used prior funds to remain open January 22, 2018.
    What about Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid payments? They are part of the mandatory budget. That budget also includes the Troubled Asset Relief Program and the Affordable Care Act. These programs are never shut down because their funding is automatic. They were created by separate Acts of Congress. The only way Congress can cut their funding is with another Act."

HOW IRONIC. DURING THE SALE OF APOLLO COINS, NASA WILL BE CLOSED.

@Onastone said:
    12 DAYS and counting........

Any guesses how much the 5 oz puck is going to be? I'm guessing $225.00

Congrats only Off by a nickel... $224.95.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

ADG - RE: "They are two pretty memorable photographs. Cost a lot of $$ to take them."

Yep and that's a large part of what makes them trite and use on the coin simply copy-cat work. The photos are part of a far greater legacy, yet they focus too much on well-worn photos and not of the place of the mood landings in human history.

I will buy a pair, much as I bought one of Paul Vincez' Apollo 11 silver medals almost 50 years ago. But neither of them say anything about humanity, where we've been, where we might be going, how we envision ourselves within a vast, dynamic cosmos.

I'm guessing $225.00

Wow...I was kind of hoping I was guessing high.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

I'm guessing $225.00

Not to blow my own horn (since I don't own one), but I made the $225 prediction back on Dec, 20... :wink:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12179304/#Comment_12179304

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Onastone said:

I'm guessing $225.00

Not to blow my own horn (since I don't own one), but I made the $225 prediction back on Dec, 20... :wink:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12179304/#Comment_12179304

Crystal ball made of all that shoveled snow.

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Onastone said:

I'm guessing $225.00

Yes, I found that thread after I posted this and you did on Dec 20'th. I must have read it a few weeks ago but forgot...You were spot on again!!!!! Thanks Backroad, the information you provide us here is really appreciated!!!!!!!!

Countdown continues...... 10.......

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    ADG - RE: "They are two pretty memorable photographs. Cost a lot of $$ to take them."

Yep and that's a large part of what makes them trite and use on the coin simply copy-cat work. The photos are part of a far greater legacy, yet they focus too much on well-worn photos and not of the place of the mood landings in human history.

Agreed - I'm not crazy on the design, but will still be a cool 5 oz'er. Aussies got it better -- at least the moon surface part:

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

@Akbeez said:

Aussies got it better -- at least the moon surface part:

This looks like a beautiful moon coin. I wish the moon went closer to the edge!

Quoting the Beatles....."Number 9, number 9"
    Anyone here from Cloud 9?
    And as the Apollo Countdown continues....the very appropriate ...

The countdown continues, seven days left.
    The Magnificent Seven
    Seventh Heaven
    Seven Bridges Road

edited January 16, 2019 3:10PM

Hopefully will know the $ for the gold today/tomorrow. At least we should have a general idea based upon today’s London PM.

They have posted pictures though! Still waiting for the prices of the gold...they look beautiful!

@Onastone said:
    They have posted pictures though! Still waiting for the prices of the gold...they look beautiful!

I agree!

Also, the London PM Fixed for gold for 16 Jan is $1292.30, glad it did not hit $1300. Wait and see what the mint does with the gold Apollos.

The gold proof pics on the Mint’s site has a higher definition pic (copied above). The USA and EPU looks to have MD while FIVE DOLLARS looks exceptionally clean. Probably just the lighting, angles, and photoshop... but interesting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file