Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Apollo Countdown

2»

Comments

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical WOW what a great close-up!!! They were so far ahead of the curve back then, amazing technology to get them on the moon, and look...that astronaut in the background is using his cell phone!!! Probably texting! LOL (at least that's what the newer generations might think!) ;)

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone Never thought of that, the “texting” posture. LOL! I agree that the generation that grew up with cell phones will think that.

A bit of trivia.

Armstrong was using a Hasselblad camera to take the pic and seen as the reflection from the visor of Aldrin.

Source: https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11-hass.html

Other info:
    https://historical.ha.com/itm/explorers/neil-armstrong-s-1970-model-hasselblad-500c-camera-with-zeiss-planar-f-28-80mm-lens-and-original-box-directly-f/a/6205-52381.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

• Options

Getting closer.... we are within the week range now!!

• Options

PCGS has just announced their special label in partnership with The Astronauts Memorial Foundation!
    More Info Here

Heather Boyd
    PCGS Senior Director of Marketing

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope that the lunar eclipse on January 20 will not affect orders.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

Armstrong was using HasselHoff to take the pic and seen as the reflection from the visor of Aldrin.

Had no idea the "Hoff" was part of the space program. WOW!

(sorry Hemi- couldn't resist, but thanks for the info!) :)

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

@HeatherBoyd said:
    PCGS has just announced their special label in partnership with The Astronauts Memorial Foundation!

I think that's really a wonderful cause and a label well done!!!

• Options

Five Alive
    Gimme Five
    The countdown continues...

• Options

Things are heating up........

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    Hopefully will know the $ for the gold today/tomorrow. At least we should have a general idea based upon today’s London PM.

What do you think the price will be?? $465.00 ??

• Options

@Onastone said:

@Hemispherical said:
    Hopefully will know the $ for the gold today/tomorrow. At least we should have a general idea based upon today’s London PM.

London PM fixed is under $1300.

Using the mint’s 2018 pricing table it is about: $423.75 PF and $413.75 unc. Subtract $5 for discount.

Using the 2017 pricing table it is $417.60 and $412.69 for comparison.

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

@Onastone said:

@Hemispherical said:

London PM fixed is under $1300.

Using the mint’s 2018 pricing table it is about: $423.75 PF and $413.75 unc. Subtract $5 for discount.

Using the 2017 pricing table it is $417.60 and $412.69 for comparison.

Don't forget to add the $35 surcharge...

• Options

Three Days of the Condor
    Three Kings
    Three Caballeros
    Three Musketeers
    Knock Three Times.......

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much like the baseball release this is a very cool design. I'm in it for the 5 oz'er.

• Options

Two For the Money
    It Takes Two
    Two Sides of the Coin

• Options

Wow those are huge!!!!!

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2019 7:38PM

How many days left? I thought it was on the 24th and it’s the 21st now.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is and it is.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2019 7:47PM

Thank you Kudbegud! That is a cool name.

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    How many days left? I thought it was on the 24th and it’s the 21st now.

It is on the 24'th, today is the 22'nd and I'm not counting the hours. The countdown at the top of the Mint website right now says 2 days 5 hours. Tomorrow, after noon, the countdown will read zero days. I would post this at noon if I could.

• Options

One More Night
    Another One Bites the Dust

• Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

Never been a release from the mint where I have been so undicided on. One day I am all in on the 5 Oz puck and the gold proof, and the next day thinking the premiums are too high. I love the design, and have no idea what I will do at noon on the 24th.

• Options

@dennis1219 said:
    Never been a release from the mint where I have been so undicided on. One day I am all in on the 5 Oz puck and the gold proof, and the next day thinking the premiums are too high. I love the design, and have no idea what I will do at noon on the 24th.

Don't forget Dennis, these prices are all introductory prices, after awhile all the prices go up. And the secondary market will be charging moon money! Watch out for sellouts!!!

• Options

Down to the final hours.
    Down to Zero
    Too Low for zero
    Photo by David Royall

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMDbX1zksgI
    Hard to believe this song is almost 40 years old....

• Options
    RWMRWM Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

@dennis1219 said:

I'm in the same boat. So I decided to go for the gold proof and let the puck go. Only way to go both in and out.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

If there are 50,000 orders for the gold on day 1 (limit 1 ) then a minimum of 20,000 orders for the puck is certain on day one. Has the mint ever sold 50,000 anything in one day with a limit 1? ( I don't know, I'm asking)

• Options

T Minus 15 Minutes.... Prepare for ignition.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2019 11:20AM

"... and they're off "

It's hard to believe this song is as old as that Apollo Mission, too.
    https://youtu.be/iYYRH4apXDo

• Options

On to something else...

• Options
    edited January 24, 2019 7:14PM

Still have the US Apollo .50 with Royal Australian Mint’s $5 1oz silver coin set. :o

https://www.usmint.gov/news/press-releases/united-states-mint-announces-historic-collaboration-with-the-royal-australian-mint

• Options

@Kudbegud said:

Whew !

That was a wild ride.

What's the next Mint offering to get us going? I'm guessing the 2019 Palladium.

You are right! We have all summer to save up for that one. And the newest gold Liberty will be available late this year as well. Nothing else seems to have the "wild ride" factor. They did say they were releasing some kind of rarity this year though....hmmmmmm what could that be?

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

@Kudbegud said:

That was a wild ride.

What's the next Mint offering to get us going? I'm guessing the 2019 Palladium.

You are right! We have all summer to save up for that one. And the newest gold Liberty will be available late this > year as well. Nothing else seems to have the "wild ride" factor. They did say they were releasing some kind of > > rarity this year though....hmmmmmm what could that be?

Depends on what the mystery coin is. It has a good chance. Unless it is released into circulation and then be searched for which they vaguely hinted at.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file