Home U.S. Coin Forum

2019 Apollo 11 commemorative...

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does the average consumer even know what “US Mint” even means anymore?

I know most of my extended family thinks of the commercial “mint” sellers and not the goverment when I mention the US Mint.

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Average consumer? Probably not...

Scumball career thief? Absolutely....gold coin on the bag is an eye catcher

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh those dreaded bags -- yes I had a stack of boxes with them. Weeks before any coins arrived (backordered). NO WAY I was going to advertise mint coins toting groceries out of Walmart or Safeway.

How do the mintage limits compare to the baseball?

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

Looks like the same limits.

Baseball HoF.

Clad half:
    Composition 8.33% nickel, balance copper
    Diameter 1.205 inches (± 0.005) 30.61 mm (± 0.127)
    Weight 11.34 grams
    Overall Height 0.123 inch (± 0.010)
    Mintage Limit 750,000 across all clad product options

$1 Silver:
    Composition: 90% silver, 10% copper
    Diameter: 1.500 inches (± 0.005) 38.10 mm (± 0.127)
    Weight 26.73 grams
    Overall Height 0.243 inch (± 0.010)
    Mintage Limit 400,000 across all silver product options

$5 Gold:
    Composition: 90% gold, 10% alloy
    Diameter: 0.850 inch (± 0.005) 21.59 mm (± 0.127)
    Weight: 8.359 grams
    Overall Height: 0.141 inch (± 0.005)
    Mintage Limit 50,000 across all gold product options

https://www.usmint.gov/learn/coin-and-medal-programs/commemorative-coins/national-baseball-hall-of-fame

Thanks Hemi --- interesting they copied production from 2014.

Here are the final mintages:
    2014-D Baseball HOF Half Dollar Unc 176,446
    2014-S Baseball HOF Half Dollar Prf 257,173
    2014-P Baseball HOF Silver Dollar Unc/Prf 131,924 268,076
    2014-W Baseball HOF $5 Gold Unc/Prf 17,677 32,427

Source: http://moderncommemoratives.com/modern-commemorative-coin-mintages/

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

Looks like it will be in interesting run-off between sports vs space.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2018 8:38PM

@Hemispherical said:
    $5 Gold:
    Composition: 90% gold, 10% alloy
    Diameter: 0.850 inch (± 0.005) 21.59 mm (± 0.127)
    Weight: 8.359 grams
    Overall Height: 0.141 inch (± 0.005)
    Mintage Limit 50,000 across all gold product options

Yep, but...

@Akbeez said:
    2014-W Baseball HOF $5 Gold Unc/Prf 17,677 32,427

17,677 + 32,427 = 50,104 :D

Edit to say:
    This is explained here:
    2014 Gold Baseball HOF overproduction...

This was actually one of the first confirmations that the Mint doesn't sell returns, but purposely overproduces to replace returned products.

@BackroadJunkie Thanks that is very interesting information.

I would presume that the mint will do the same with Apollo’s since they now have data from the HoF’s... but make sure they do not post/print a number more than the limit.

Thanks for that blast from the past BJ. The Mint also restarted selling "sold out" silver dollars in December that year, due to "cancellations and returns".

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2018 5:25PM

Too bad the Mint didn't plan this Gold Coin as Green Gold. It would fit in nicely with the Pink Breast Coin.

Tried to pre-order. No dice.

@PCGSPhoto said:
    I’m not looking forward to photographing these to be honest.

I think the puck will be a challenge. Someone needs to invent an invisible camera... :D

@PCGSPhoto said:

I guess doing test shots on a mirror will not help? ;)

• To be clear though, I will be buying the coin as it's such an amazing and unprecedented historical event. Also, as a reminder, the New Frontiers mint medal is still available, and is fantastic. I might get another one for display next to my LEGO Saturn V rocket (also recommended).

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

@PCGSPhoto said:
    To be clear though, I will be buying the coin as it's such an amazing and unprecedented historical event. Also, as a reminder, the New Frontiers mint medal is still available, and is fantastic. I might get another one for display next to my LEGO Saturn V rocket (also recommended).

I do not usually get bronze but I had to for that medal and enough to give to many family members as stocking stuffers this Christmas.

Thanks for the great pic @PCGSPhoto.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @PCGSPhoto. I wasn't aware of this medal. Just added both 1.5 & 3 inch to my cart as a companion piece to the upcoming Apollo series.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/on/demandware.store/Sites-USM-Site/default/Search-Show?q=New%20Frontiers

I also see a product from the new Mint / BEP partnership arrangement which I enrolled in.
    Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Engraved Print

https://catalog.usmint.gov/apollo-11-50th-anniversary-engraved-print-enrollment-BA.html?cgid=null&q=New%20Frontiers&navid=vizsearch

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@PCGSPhoto said:

You mean photographing a convex mirror without having it accidentally come out like this isn't your idea of fun?

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

@PCGSPhoto said:
    To be clear though, I will be buying the coin as it's such an amazing and unprecedented historical event. Also, as a reminder, the New Frontiers mint medal is still available, and is fantastic. I might get another one for display next to my LEGO Saturn V rocket (also recommended).

Hey PCGSPhoto - thanks for the suggestion about the Lego Set. I`m going to get one of those ! Never would have thought of that on my own. 🤓

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be a buyer on the 5 ouncers. Might go big on them... not sure yet.

edited December 20, 2018 1:02PM

I like 'em but 100k mintage is up there for a saucer that will probably sell north of $200

@BigA said:
    I like 'em but 100k mintage is up there for a saucer that will probably sell north of $200

The real bitch about the puck is the $50 surcharge. I mean, there's only a $35 surcharge on the gold.

So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the puck ends up around $225.

I'm still waiting for something to be published in the FedReg about next year's prices...

They just multipled 5 oz by $10, since $10 is the typical surcharge for an oz of silver. All going to a good cause, IMO.

Still going to get one (maybe two) depends on HHL; and if I can get all the orders in at the same time of the products I want.

Does PCGS have a slab tall enough for the 5oz puck?

The puck's height is reportedly 0.441 inch (11.2mm).

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

@COCollector said:
    Does PCGS have a slab tall enough for the 5oz puck?

The puck's height is reportedly 0.441 inch (11.2mm).

That's a very good question. And...you wouldn't want the convex high point touching the inner slab surface. Needs a shelf around the edge to keep it at least a mm above it. Technical problems to solve.

Coin World has a cool article out. Interesting read into the pucks. (And the production process for the Apollo commems in general.)

coinworld:Apollo 11 3-inch silver dollar provides challenge in production

Get this:

Curved obverse and reverse dies individually cut as master dies for actual striking

and

Harrigal said that, when it was determined that the production dies would be each individually machined, the process was reduced from 14 hours per die to 11.5 hours. With a sellout being projected, it’s likely 1,000 pairs of dies will have to be prepared.

Other interesting details:

The 3-inch coins are being struck at the rate of 13 coins per minute, based on three strikes per coin at a striking speed of 39 coins per minute.

The actual number of coins struck per minute is much lower since each blank is hand-fed between the coinage dies in the coinage press and removed by hand after being struck into a coin.

All 100,000 coins maximum will be struck on blanks hand-fed into the press by press operators wearing cotton gloves.

And there is only one press capable of producing the 3-inch silver Proofs, the same press used to strike the 5-ounce silver American the Beautiful quarter dollars in bullion and Uncirculated versions.

Harrigal said each coin is inspected after striking for defects and the dies are cleaned frequently to remove grease and prevent debris build-up.

The dies are oriented in the press horizontally, with the obverse die being the moving upper hammer die, and the reverse being the lower, stationary anvil die.

With a 1,000 die pairs, I wonder if we'll see detail variations among the coins. The article goes on to the striking details of the silver and clad. They also have a couple of cool videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga7jirGjb8I

It seems to me, that the Mint could have some sort of lottery/contest among their best customers to get to Philly to strike a coin. (And actually get it after the new year...) I'd be a good choice. Someone from the Mint should give be a call. :D

Anyway, a good read... :smile:

A great article with lots of behind the scenes info.

@BackroadJunkie Thanks for the article.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2018 8:54AM

@Kudbegud said:
    Thanks @PCGSPhoto. I wasn't aware of this medal. Just added both 1.5 & 3 inch to my cart as a companion piece to the upcoming Apollo series.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/on/demandware.store/Sites-USM-Site/default/Search-Show?q=New%20Frontiers

I also see a product from the new Mint / BEP partnership arrangement which I enrolled in.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/apollo-11-50th-anniversary-engraved-print-enrollment-BA.html?cgid=null&q=New%20Frontiers&navid=vizsearch

Thanks for the "heads-up"
    I rarely order items from the BEP, but this will be a nice addition to the Mint's offerings. :)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Interesting Mint News Blog report today. Makes it look like the pucks are being made in a vending machine. ATS dude did it himself!!

https://mintnewsblog.com/ngc-attends-first-strike-at-mint-for-apollo-11-coins/

And thanks for the CW article. I had no idea each puck was handled by hand. I assume because of the domed design?

@Kudbegud said:

Just a follow up. The first print, Mission, is scheduled for release the same day as the commems. (Jan 24.) They are listed at $20. The subscription price is $17, or a 15% discount when pre-ordered. (And you can cancel at any time.)

If you're thinking about ordering these prints, you should probably subscribe. Doesn't look like there's a downside if you do...

@BackroadJunkie said:
    From Coin World:

There will be a special two coin set, with a product limit of 100K and a HHL of 5...

The sets will contain a Proof 2019-S Apollo 11 50th Anniversary clad half dollar and an Enhanced Reverse Proof 2019-S clad Kennedy half dollar. The Kennedy half dollar will be struck at the San Francisco Mint with S Mint mark.

coinworld: U.S. Mint unveils designs for 2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary commemorative coins

An "Enhanced Reverse Proof 2019-S clad Kennedy"? SMH... Yeah, JFK launched the Moon program, but why not make the JFK half curved and make my day? (The commem will already be a "Enhanced Reverse Proof". I guess anything to try to improve those clad sales...)

The Kennedy will be exclusive to this set.

Just realized the HHL for the Kennedy’s. Hmm... may need to rearrange the ordering priorities.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

Just a follow up. The first print, Mission, is scheduled for release the same day as the commems. (Jan 24.) They are listed at $20. The subscription price is $17, or a 15% discount when pre-ordered. (And you can cancel at any time.)

If you're thinking about ordering these prints, you should probably subscribe. Doesn't look like there's a downside if you do...

So I enrolled not really sure why, I guess it ensures I get at least one of these 8000 Prints?

But this 5 ounce Silver Dollar looks like the Surcharge price is $50.00 is that right seems a bit high?

Surcharges
    The purchase price of each commemorative coin will include a surcharge — and $50 for each 5-ounce silver dollar.
    https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2018/10/us-mint-unveils-2019-apollo-11-coin-designs.html

Yup...this will put the price north of $200

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2018 1:04PM

I thought I was in for this item. I will pass if the cost is going to approach 3X the value of spot.

A Yard Sale or a Pawn Shop in 10 years might be a good place to catch a deal on the overpriced Moon Coin. I snagged a Leather Bound " Moonfire" Book as my personal Moon Landing Tribute.

I agree that the surcharges appear to be quite a bit, but, they are going to good causes, IMO.

Still going to get one (or some) to add to my collections so I can admire and later so the heirs can squabble... LOL :)

——-

Prices for the coins include surcharges of $35 for each gold coin, $10 for each silver coin, $5 for each half dollar clad coin and $50 for each five ounce proof silver dollar coin, which the law authorizes to be paid as follows:

one-half to the Smithsonian Institution’s National Air and Space Museum’s “Destination Moon” exhibit, one-quarter to the Astronauts Memorial Foundation,
    and one-quarter to the Astronaut Scholarship Foundation.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2018 8:38AM

I'm in on the puck. Think it will be quite a dramatic design at that size.
    Is this the first puck without a Washington head on one side ?

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least one puck for me. Santa brought me US Mint g.c. for Christmas :)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone seen the Australian domed moon coin? The full moon on the convex side of a silver one ounce $5 coin.

edited December 30, 2018 1:43PM

@Type2 said:
    I garbed this up two years ago for melt, I thought they where cool looking.

Nice score, VERY cool!

@Onastone - Thanks for the reminder. I had a vague memory of it. Now I will have vivid memory as I ordered one.

@Type2 - Those are nice. What are they referred to as? Who made them? A great score. Did you just run across them or were you looking?

@Onastone said:
    Has anyone seen the Australian domed moon coin? The full moon on the convex side of a silver one ounce $5 coin.

Haven't seen in-hand, but Apmex has 'em raw for $130 each. (5,000 mintage)

Or $200 for PR70DCAM.

@Onastone said:

*** THIS ***

Aussies beat us to our own game! Now that's a creative use of a domed coin!!

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    @Onastone - Thanks for the reminder. I had a vague memory of it. Now I will have vivid memory as I ordered one.

@Type2 - Those are nice. What are they referred to as? Who made them? A great score. Did you just run across them or were you looking?

I think medals, You know me if it's silver and cool I'll buy it. They where in a scrap bucket. I saw them and grabbed them out of the bucket I save some more from the melting pot that day.

Hoard the keys.

Nice save from the pot Type2. They didn't deserve that fate.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file