Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019 Apollo 11 commemorative...

Comments

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Missed Opportunity: Why the same design for all 4 coins?

In particular, I think a unique design would be great for the much-larger first-of-its-kind 5 oz silver Proof.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like this design much better and will get the entire offering especially the Gold.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2018 12:08PM

@kiyote said:

@FullStrike said:
    The Commemorative Halves should be released as a small premium issue alongside the Kennedy's. Right now, these Halves are too high at around $20 each. If you buy in, all you look forward to is a large drop in value.

Commem halves from the mint are now 31 bucks a pop.. for the cheapest, uncirculated option.

😮😮😮

Darn, those silly Cancer Halves are priced at $30.95 for BU and $32.95 for the Proof. I'm thinking the Mint needs to Offer a BU Clad version (as a Circulation grade Coin in roll quantities) of all Commemorative Halves as a circulation quality strike for the same $32.95 as the 2 Roll Clad Kennedy Set. The seniorage should be enough of a profit for them. Of course they might actually be justified in adding in a small $5 Charity Surcharge.

😣😣😣

Kennedy 2018 Half-Dollar, 2-Roll Sethttps://catalog.usmint.gov/kennedy-2018-half-dollar-2-roll-set-18KB.html

MULTI (D)(P)

Kennedy Half Dollars

$32.95

2018 half dollars feature a portrait of President John F. KennedyContains 40 coins that have a circulating finish, but have never been in circulationMinted at the Denver (20) and Philadelphia Mints (20)

• Options

Here's another suggestion for the Mint. If they need to keep the pricier versions of the Commemorative Halves , strike them in Silver. And drop the max mintage also. Perhaps 100,000 would encourage a fast sellout?

• Options
    edited October 12, 2018 6:03PM

Is-There-No-End-To-The-Criticism...

Omitting "50th Anniversary" seems like a big mistake. Maybe it's edge-inscribed?

At least they could've included a dual-date 1969-2019.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like this. Though the premium will be up there I do think I will get these in the following order:

—Set proof half dollar and Enhanced Reverse Proof Kennedy clad half dollar
    —$5 gold
    —5oz silver dollar
    —Silver dollar
    —Clad half (maybe, might make good Birthday presents)

I have now to Jan to win the lottery. :o

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really? A footprint is being commemorated? Surely the prospect of a curved coin can get more creative than that. We are talking "planets" (round) here, no? Not digging the eagle flying over the moon either...

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

**U.S. Mint’s January releases include Apollo 11 commemorative coinage

First 5-ounce silver commemorative coin, other anniversary issues on sale Jan. 24**

by Paul Gilkes, Coin World Senior Editor

In today's December dated Coin World starting on page 22 continuing on page 24

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Eeeeek....100k mintage for the commem puck? That's not good.....

• Options

At least its “worth” a $1 vs .25.

• Options
    edited November 24, 2018 9:59AM

Over the past 50 Years there have been LOADS of Commemorative Memorabilia issued by various Countries and Companies . The most noteworthy ( IMHO ) was the Book / Autographed Photo Package ( Moonfire) issued by Taschen in 2009.

Here's a couple Customer reviews I lifted off of Amazon :smile:

"
    Top Reviews

I got this book from Amazon (and was thrilled to get a copy as high up as number 216!) because I wanted my kids to have a way of remembering one of mankind's greatest accomplishments. Its hard to believe that it is now over 40 years since we went to the moon, and have yet to go any further. It is also hard to imagine us doing anything like that today, which makes it all the more important to remember what this country was once capable of. This book is a magnificent tribute to the entire Apollo program. The book is immense in size and weight and extremely well made. The photos are outstanding and particularly well printed, the paper is very heavy stock and the book is superbly bound with needle and thread. The plastic box that the book is placed in may be a bit of a gimmick, but it does make it stand out. The icing on the cake is the accompanying framed photo, one of the most famous of all time. It is so well reproduced that it seems to glow, and having it signed by Buzz Aldrin makes it something special. It is great to be able to tell my kids that the person standing on the moon in the photo is the same person who signed the picture on the back "just for them". Given that this edition is limited to just 1957 copies and that Amazon discounts it by 20%, this is a remarkable bargain. I highly, highly recommend it. Grab it while it is still available

"

"

This was one of my best buys on Amazon. I first saw this advertised in Restoration Hardware for $1,000, of course it was less on Amazon($800) and now a collector's item since only 1,969 were issued with this limited edtion. The 11" X 17" photo of Buzz Aldrin (signed by Buzz himselve) and taken by Neil Armstrong is amazing! The 35 pound book I have been reading from time to time since it arrived about 6 weeks ago. Norman Mailers handwritten notes appear throughout this one of a kind book/ Atlas. It takes me right back to that week Apollo 11 took off for the moon. The photo's are unlike any I have ever seen in a "book" It was well worth the price.

"

I've seen this offered from around $1,100 to upwards of $7,000 😮 ! I really like the autographed Photo. A bit rich in my opinion though. Too bad I couldn't have grabbed a new copy off Amazon back in 2009.

• Options

Wouldn't it be a blast if the Mint could issue a very limited Set of Coin / Autographed Photo later in the year ( 2019 ) to commemorate this Historic Anniversary? A release date of July 20 would be uber cool !

To attach a price of $1969.00 might make it worthwhile for them . Although in reality they'd probably not be motivated by anything less than $3,988.00 ( $1969 + $2019 ) !

• Options

@FullStrike said:
    Over the past 50 Years there have been LOADS of Commemorative Memorabilia issued by various Countries and Companies . The most noteworthy ( IMHO ) was the Book / Autographed Photo Package ( Moonfire) issued by Taschen in 2009.

Here's a couple Customer reviews I lifted off of Amazon :smile:

"
    Top Reviews

I got this book from Amazon (and was thrilled to get a copy as high up as number 216!) because I wanted my kids to have a way of remembering one of mankind's greatest accomplishments. Its hard to believe that it is now over 40 years since we went to the moon, and have yet to go any further. It is also hard to imagine us doing anything like that today, which makes it all the more important to remember what this country was once capable of. This book is a magnificent tribute to the entire Apollo program. The book is immense in size and weight and extremely well made. The photos are outstanding and particularly well printed, the paper is very heavy stock and the book is superbly bound with needle and thread. The plastic box that the book is placed in may be a bit of a gimmick, but it does make it stand out. The icing on the cake is the accompanying framed photo, one of the most famous of all time. It is so well reproduced that it seems to glow, and having it signed by Buzz Aldrin makes it something special. It is great to be able to tell my kids that the person standing on the moon in the photo is the same person who signed the picture on the back "just for them". Given that this edition is limited to just 1957 copies and that Amazon discounts it by 20%, this is a remarkable bargain. I highly, highly recommend it. Grab it while it is still available

"

"

This was one of my best buys on Amazon. I first saw this advertised in Restoration Hardware for $1,000, of course it was less on Amazon($800) and now a collector's item since only 1,969 were issued with this limited edtion. The 11" X 17" photo of Buzz Aldrin (signed by Buzz himselve) and taken by Neil Armstrong is amazing! The 35 pound book I have been reading from time to time since it arrived about 6 weeks ago. Norman Mailers handwritten notes appear throughout this one of a kind book/ Atlas. It takes me right back to that week Apollo 11 took off for the moon. The photo's are unlike any I have ever seen in a "book" It was well worth the price.

"

I've seen this offered from around $1,100 to upwards of $7,000 😮 ! I really like the autographed Photo. A bit rich in my opinion though. Too bad I couldn't have grabbed a new copy off Amazon back in 2009.

Wow! Looking at the current buying options on Amazon anywhere between $1000 to $13,000 for one of the used books

I agree with it being too rich, too. I be afraid to open the book for fear of tearing a page.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in... :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent! I might be in for the 5 ouncer, too.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Footprint reminds me of the bar copper!

bob :)
    PS: maybe this is the error that the Mint said will be coming soon?

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@wooglout said:
    Came across this photo today - I think I am in for one of the 5 ounce pucks...

Nice. Is there a HH limit?

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 5 oz is sure to be the hit of this offering.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

Probably, but no details released yet. We'll probably see the web pages updated sometime after Xmas, maybe after the new year...

@Kudbegud said:

So will the Kennedy half set.

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

That is pretty cool.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Hemispherical said:

Probably, but no details released yet. We'll probably see the web pages updated sometime after Xmas, maybe after the new year...

@Kudbegud said:

So will the Kennedy half set.

Are they being released on the same date and time?

• Options

• Options

Hope it is not like the palladium. I would like to get the puck and Kennedy. Higher mintage so should not be a problem but I suspect a lot of non-collecting space enthusiasts will be buying.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those 5 oz. silver pieces look pretty sweet... I'm in for at least one... maybe more depending on the price and/or household limits.

• Options
    edited December 14, 2018 6:18AM

Nice looking and unique product and I'm definitely in for one...but...mintage of 100k is a negative and the price will probably be right around $200. High mintage and price probably will make HH limits pointless

• Options
    AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

What’s in the Kennedy set?

• Options

@Along said:

From the original post:

The Mint will offer a limited-edition two-coin half dollar set restricted to a product limit of 100,000 sets and a household ordering limit of five sets.

The sets will contain a Proof 2019-S Apollo 11 50th Anniversary clad half dollar and an Enhanced Reverse Proof 2019-S clad Kennedy half dollar. The Kennedy half dollar will be struck at the San Francisco Mint with S Mint mark.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Along said:

From the original post:

The Mint will offer a limited-edition two-coin half dollar set restricted to a product limit of 100,000 sets and a household ordering limit of five sets.

The sets will contain a Proof 2019-S Apollo 11 50th Anniversary clad half dollar and an Enhanced Reverse Proof 2019-S clad Kennedy half dollar. The Kennedy half dollar will be struck at the San Francisco Mint with S Mint mark.

I am in for 5! :p

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly, just more trite copies of photos. Might as well be on a breakfast cereal box. The designs say nothing about the meaning, importance or potential of humanity's first direct investigation of a place other than earth.

Wonderful event -- a poor commemoration.

• Options

Ok...I'll bite....What would you have liked on the coin? No photos/drawings allowed....

• Options

Give top creative sculptural talents free reign to design something that conveys the meaning behind the event. We have such people in the United States. Employ them to express what most of us cannot.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the reverse would have looked cool if it looked like astronauts were looking out of a window at the moon/earth, etc.

• Options

The design for the obverse was selected through a two-phase U.S. Mint design competition, and the winning design was created by Gary Cooper. Mr. Cooper is a 66-year old medallic artist and sculptor from Maine. In addition to designing coins, medals, and plaques, he also has a deep interest in numismatics that began as a child in 1963. He has made several efforts at designing U.S. coins, beginning in 1998 when he proposed a flying eagle design for the reverse of the Sacagawea dollar. As the designer of the obverse of the 2019 Apollo 11 50th anniversary commemorative coins, a high-profile release, his impact on modern U.S. numismatics is assured. During the design unveiling, Director Ryder said: His winning design is a poignant representation of the triumphant moment that brought people together and reaffirmed our shared humanity and sense of purpose.

Sounds like any creative sculptural talent had an opportunity to submit a design....It wasn't designed by Joe from accounting

• Options

@RogerB said:
    Give top creative sculptural talents free reign to design something that conveys the meaning behind the event. We have such people in the United States. Employ them to express what most of us cannot.

So, IOW, you have no idea either. :D

• Options

I do not have the artistic talent to express my ideas. But there are people who have that special ability.

The accepted designs are trite and pointless copies from photos. But, that is what happens when the Mint's artists have no Artistic Director and the Mint only pays its little group of outside artists $1,500 for a design.....Jim Fraser got that much in 1912! Saint-Gaudens got $5,000 for the Columbian Expo medal in 1893, and the same for two coin designs in 1906. If we want the best talent to participate we have to compensate them accordingly. In this instance at least $40,000 for each coin.

• Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

@BigA said:

The design for the obverse was selected through a two-phase U.S. Mint design competition, and the winning design was created by Gary Cooper. Mr. Cooper is a 66-year old medallic artist and sculptor from Maine. In addition to designing coins, medals, and plaques, he also has a deep interest in numismatics that began as a child in 1963. He has made several efforts at designing U.S. coins, beginning in 1998 when he proposed a flying eagle design for the reverse of the Sacagawea dollar. As the designer of the obverse of the 2019 Apollo 11 50th anniversary commemorative coins, a high-profile release, his impact on modern U.S. numismatics is assured. During the design unveiling, Director Ryder said: His winning design is a poignant representation of the triumphant moment that brought people together and reaffirmed our shared humanity and sense of purpose.

Sounds like any creative sculptural talent had an opportunity to submit a design....It wasn't designed by Joe from accounting

Ouch! I'm from accounting. But I think it looks pretty cool- I'm in for 2!

• Options
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well...I too remain humbug with the design. That said, will have to get a 5-pack of those hefty miso bowls. :|

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2018 1:47AM

I like miso. 🍲

Now I would like to see how much these are going to go for. Need to know that the spot is the week running up to the sale date.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1009669/us-mint-pricing-grid-pricing-range-table-2018 (need 2019)

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in on the gold and silver proofs for sure.

As far as being popular how do you think these compare with the 2014 Baseball Coins?

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    I'm in on the gold and silver proofs for sure.

As far as being popular how do you think these compare with the 2014 Baseball Coins?

I'm thinkin' these will do about the same. Popular subject, unusual coin, a lot of people still living remember it. I'm actually using the BBHoF commems as a buying strategy for the Apollo 11 coins. (Of course, it all depends on the HHL's the Mint puts on these the first day. The only one known is the Kennedy set, but they could easily reduce the number from 5 to 2...)

Recall It took less than a day to sell out the gold commems in 2014, and that was under the really-sucky-bad Pitney Bowes system. There was a HHL of 50. Gold spot was about the same as it is now, so prices should be relatively the same. The law allows sales via the bulk channel, so they could go fast.

I'll have a better idea of how to buy these once the HHL's are announced. I do know the loyalty program may change my buying stratagy... :wink:

Of course, you're not going to get any of those wonderful free bags this time around. That might affect sales. (Believe it or not, about 75% of the bags are still in use for hauling groceries... :D)

• Options

I have never used any of the MANY bags I have...always leery about announcing "I have coins in my house" ..maybe I ahould give a few away and see what happens ;)

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

First step on the moon. what could be more iconic than the footprint left behind? Thankfully the mint did not choose the cartoon spacesuit design!!

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

Of course, you're not going to get any of those wonderful free bags this time around. That might affect sales. (Believe it or not, about 75% of the bags are still in use for hauling groceries... :D)

What size bags were these? Must have been pretty large if your using for groceries. :o

• Options
    edited December 16, 2018 10:49AM

@Bullsitter said:
    ...As far as being popular how do you think these compare with the 2014 Baseball Coins?

Good question.

I'm guessing they'll be at least as popular as the 2014 coins.

Maybe more popular -- especially given the recent successful Mars landing and the Dec 13th Virgin Galactic test flight.

That said, I only want one 5oz puck and one Kennedy Set for my collection.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

What size bags were these? Must have been pretty large if your using for groceries. :o

8"x13" and 14" deep. They are exactly like this, except they're black with a big US MINT logo on the side.

amazon:Earthwise Reusable Grocery Gift Bags with Xmas Christmas Holiday Designs

Earthwise made the bags (in Vietnam) for the Mint. They'll fall apart if mistreated, but they'll last if you don't abuse 'em. Even still, a few of mine are in their last stages of life...

You got one free with every order during a promotional period. Because this was in the bad ol' days when the mint's fullfillment... sucked, the bags got shipped before the coins, because the bags were in stock but the coins were not, and that's how the Mint worked back then. (Yep, 4 years ago was back then.)

The interesting part is (back then) if you ordered more than $X or some PM's, everything in the order automatically got shipped UPS 2nd day. Because the bags were included automatically on the order, those bags were shipped UPS 2nd day, because that's how the mint worked back then. So the bags got first class treatment to the amusement of many...

I probably had 10-12 of them at the time...

• Options

@BigA said:
    I have never used any of the MANY bags I have...always leery about announcing "I have coins in my house" ..maybe I ahould give a few away and see what happens ;)

Well, when your (sarcasm)beloved(/sarcasm) city council decides to make business a criminal should the peddle those free plastic bags that get stuck up in the trees (but not in my neighborhood, I looked), bags of every size, race and religion came out at the grocery stores.

The Mint bags had three things going for them. I already had a bunch of them, they held groceries and they were free. Win. :D

• Options
    edited December 16, 2018 11:26AM

Found a few...there is a another bag full of them somewhere....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file