edited January 10, 2019 9:41PM in U.S. Coin Forum

....at a tenth the price. Couldn’t resist buying the pair

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2019 10:36PM

Stunners

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 9:46PM

Does this mean you are eyeing an 1804 $1 Restrike, so you can have a pair of those, too? :smile:

• KeithMS70KeithMS70 Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

My favorite series!!! Those are some beauties!!!!!!! Holy smokes!!! Nice pick up.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Distinct differences on the reverse; The vanes on the arrows, E Pluribus Unum ribbon and UNITED STATES OF AMERICA positions, etc...one is an original proof (1st) and one the restrike (2nd)? Those are a couple of beauties!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty pair! I bet the eye appeal makes you smile...Congrats!

• GoBustGoBust Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Bruce, both are terrific coins! The 1827/3 original really is of monumental numismatic importance. Was always valued like an 1804 silver dollar historically, but of course was made in 1827 and not at a much later date for collectors like the 1804. The 1827/3 restrike quarter with die rust clear are sisters to the 1804 restrike Class 3 dollars made at a much later date.

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. Great history.

One can be used as a cornerstone piece in your new digs(?)

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Swoon.

My dreams..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2019 7:43AM

Noice

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice acquisitions...Good detail.... Cheers, RickO

• ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭

So the pimples/pocks on the reverse of the restrike- for my own education, those for sure are die rust and not some pestilence or corrosion on the coin itself?

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

Correct

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins and value! I underbid the restrike, which is the best I’ve ever seen.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

@MrEureka said:
    Great coins and value! I underbid the restrike, which is the best I’ve ever seen.

Thanks! Now I just need my old copper restrike back. And if I really want to complete the set, maybe the Eliasberg early restrike

edited January 12, 2019 9:49PM

BTW, I was surprised to see the significant die rotation on the original. Are there others like that? Made me wonder if the B-1 originals could have been struck on two occasions.

Andy Lustig

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice additions!

• privaterarecoincollectorprivaterarecoincollector Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2019 9:50PM

I like them too, wished I had bought the Pogue coin some time ago:
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1827-3-25c-original-ca/85373

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privaterarecoincollector said:
    I like them too, I bought the Pogue coin some time ago:
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1827-3-25c-original-ca/85373

Gorgeous coin Privaterarecoincollector

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2019 1:54PM

@tradedollarnut said:

@MrEureka said:

Thanks! Now I just need my old copper restrike back. And if I really want to complete the set, maybe the Eliasberg early restrike

Was that a 64RB (almost full red with a spotty area) that HA sold quite a while back? I think I was the under-bidder on that. Had the Anderson Dupont back in '99 or so, sold it to Larry Hanks. 65RB but not as flashy. I'm sure the Eliasberg transitional is locatable. :*

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I really like the looks of those.

Great rarity, also.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

@tradedollarnut said:

@MrEureka said:

What makes you think that the Eliasberg “early restrike “ is a restrike?

Andy Lustig

Yes we’ve had that discussion before

• 23Pairer23Pairer Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Oh, to be a “fly on the wall” when you view these beautiful busties!

@tradedollarnut said:
    Yes we’ve had that discussion before

Sorry, I don’t remember your answer from before. I’m sure it was well reasoned, though.

Andy Lustig

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely coins. I appreciate your truly generous giveaway.

edited January 12, 2019 11:31PM

Andy Lustig

• ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 618 ✭✭✭✭

Nice video!

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

1/10 of .... ?

Beautiful addition .... Bravo :)

@MrEureka said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@MrEureka said:

It's funny. TDN's bad-mouthing my Eliasberg 1827 B-2 Original (that he admits to wanting to buy) really pissed me off. Reminded me of STEWARTBLAY badmouthing coins in upcoming auctions. But rather than responding with something nasty (like telling him what he could do with his two new coins) or challenging him to a public debate (which he would surely decline), I simply re-watched this video where he needlessly pissed away $3.5 million. Now I feel a whole lot better. I'm over it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=loypv9U0ZDc

Wtf?

My thoughts exactly.

Andy Lustig

@MrEureka said:
    My thoughts exactly.

Me questioning the die rust called out in the auction description is not ‘bad mouthing ‘ a coin. Calling it an original struck before the other originals is a fine theory if there’s no die rust that’s not apparent on the supposedly later struck originals.

Refute the auction description and speculate away - more power to you. But kindly leave me out of your decade old grudge

edited January 12, 2019 11:11PM

@tradedollarnut said:

@MrEureka said:
    My thoughts exactly.

Me questioning the die rust called out in the auction description is not ‘bad mouthing ‘ a coin. Calling it an original struck before the other originals is a fine theory if there’s no die rust that’s not apparent on the supposedly later struck originals.

Refute the auction description and speculate away - more power to you. But kindly leave me out of your decade old grudge

No grudge over the decade old thread. I had completely forgotten what you posted back then. The "bad-mouthing" to which I referred was your calling the coin an "early restrike" in the current thread. And even that wouldn't have bothered me if it hadn't been in that context of your expressing an interest in buying the coin. That struck me as rude, cutthroat and obnoxious.

Andy Lustig

@MrEureka said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@MrEureka said:
    My thoughts exactly.

No grudge over the decade old thread. I had completely forgotten what you posted back then. The "bad-mouthing" to which I referred was your calling the coin an "early restrike" in the current thread. And even that wouldn't have bothered me if it hadn't been in that context of your expressing an interest in buying the coin. That struck me as rude, cutthroat and obnoxious.

Wow. Forgive me - quarters are not my specialty. I had no idea that the Eliasberg ‘restrike‘ was considered to be anything other than that. I vaguely recalled the debate from a decade ago and in my mind if the coin had light die rust on the obverse per the catalog description, it was a restrike. I see now, ten years later an assertion the description was in error and there is no die rust.

The venomous slant of your posts is totally uncalled for and insulting.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@MrEureka said:

It's funny. TDN's bad-mouthing my Eliasberg 1827 B-2 Original (that he admits to wanting to buy) really pissed me off. Reminded me of STEWARTBLAY badmouthing coins in upcoming auctions. But rather than responding with something nasty (like telling him what he could do with his two new coins) or challenging him to a public debate (which he would surely decline), I simply re-watched this video where he needlessly pissed away $3.5 million. Now I feel a whole lot better. I'm over it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=loypv9U0ZDc

and that’s when the fight started

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@tradedollarnut said:

@MrEureka said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@MrEureka said:
    My thoughts exactly.

Wow. Forgive me - quarters are not my specialty. I had no idea that the Eliasberg ‘restrike‘ was considered to be anything other than that. I vaguely recalled the debate from a decade ago and in my mind if the coin had light die rust on the obverse per the catalog description, it was a restrike. I see now, ten years later an assertion the description was in error and there is no die rust.

The venomous slant of your posts is totally uncalled for and insulting.

Apology accepted. Sorry I overreacted.

Andy Lustig

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know these coins. I'm wondering if that is a little design between the CA of America on the second coin maybe to designate a restrike?

edited January 13, 2019 12:59PM

@JimTyler said:
    I don't know these coins. I'm wondering if that is a little design between the CA of America on the second coin maybe to designate a restrike?

The coins are struck from the same obverse die, which rusted between the original use in 1827 and the restriking 40+ years later. They were struck from completely different reverse dies. The original used a new die, which was re-used in 1828 and then retired. The restrike used a reverse die first used in 1819, then used (in an unrusted but slightly cracked state) to strike the so-called “essays”, and then reused (after it rusted) for the restrikes.

Andy Lustig

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file