Home U.S. Coin Forum

A Mighty Lofty Grade for a Monroe!

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've held a few MS66's in hand however off the top of my head I don't recall having seen a MS67?

Perfect example of the power of plastic as cracked out raw you'd loose 3-4 whole grades.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

What may I ask is the price tag on that baby? Looks more like a MS66 but I like it.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a 67, not a 66

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2018 1:34PM

On eBay at just under $10K

• I agree with Keets. Nice luster for a Monroe. From the picture I would see it's a 66.

No good deed goes unpunished

carolinacollectorcoins.com
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have a photo, they have the coin in hand. Still 67 seems high to me.

• DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with Keets. Nothing to complain about there. I like the blue toning on them though better, but tha is just personal preference.

Doug
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing luster for the isssue.

Outstanding strike and no marks at a glance? Subtle rim toning.

67 all day long. Show pics of a better one if you can.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Yeah very low relief strike so it's all about luster breaks, marks, and of course rub.

I wasn't aware PCGS had made so many MS67's...

Just realized I may no longer be a spring chicken as I recall when MS66 was the best you could buy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfczY7pTUQk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP9hvD0INrM

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2018 6:53PM

@Baley said:
    Amazing luster for the isssue.

Outstanding strike and no marks at a glance? Subtle rim toning.

67 all day long. Show pics of a better one if you can.

Do they grade it on a curve? If it were a Walker it would likely be a 65.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, maybe they are graded on a curve. Here is a PCGS 66+ that looks comparable to the NGC 67:

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when MS65 was the top grade and that was more than several years back.
    Me thinks that some of us have been brain washed with the whole "plastic" thingy.

• BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2018 7:30PM

I agree with most above. It is a very nice Monroe.

I won't get into semantics as far as grades go.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP coin has too many little tick marks to be an MS-67. It is a technical 65, but the luster and bright whiteness probably add an extra point.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a very nice Monroe, but Monroes have their design working against them. The relief is far too low for what was attempted to be depicted.

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a great example and one of the nicest Monroe halves I've seen... can tell that one has impressive luster even in the pics.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2018 7:54AM

At least it doesn't have a sticker @Broadstruck . :D

Put me in the MS65 crowd. Around 2006-2007, the 65s were worth around $2k-$2.5k. I wonder if those are now the MS67s.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the picture, I would not have thought 67... but pictures are tough when evaluating a coin.... It is a nice Monroe though.... surely one I would pick up at a show for further evaluation. Cheers, RickO

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just along for the ride on this one.... learning much from the comments.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

@Raybo said:
    I remember when MS65 was the top grade and that was more than several years back.
    Me thinks that some of us have been brain washed with the whole "plastic" thingy.

Unlike a Oregon Trail, Boone, Texas or 40 other designs I doubt that any Monroe could be sold raw as Gem without plastic.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file