Home U.S. Coin Forum

Fundraising for Crazyhounddog - Home & Business lost in Paradise CA Fire

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 19, 2018 5:20PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've never done anything like this before and do not wish to break any of our host's rules, but I would like to start or contribute to a fund already started for my great friend, Joe Best. Known as crazyhounddog on the forum this man has been so generous to so many that the devastation that his hometown of Paradise, CA has incurred is heart breaking. I would donate $100, but do not know how to do so. I would like Joe to know that many of us care enough about him to support him at one of his lowest moments. Regardless of any insurance settlements, his family will need much to support them during their evacuation of their home and business. If I am out of line, I apologize, but I feel this is something that needs being done. A little help please with the mechanics of setting up such a fund.
Thank you all and God Bless Joe and his family and friends.
Jim

Edit by @HeaterBoyd:

Please use the Gofundme for all donations found here:
https://www.gofundme.com/bb3nn-paradise-lost&rcid=r01-15417868478-184a2f256b184c05&pc=ot_co_campmgmt_m

from Joe in his original post found here: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1008634/my-town-is-on-fire#latest

We are all alright and physically unharmed. My son and daughter both lost their homes and as you might be able to imagine they are depressed. They just got the news about an hour ago. We can not find anyone that can tell us about our house and our school. Reports we get is that 99% of the town we love so much is gone. I’ll never forget while I was frantically loading up our vehicles for our escape hearing propane tanks exploding and get closer at every boom. That’s when I told everyone to get in their cars and go. We were extremely lucky to get out when we did. Driving out of town gusting winds blowing hot ashes all over our cars as we were going at a snail's pace cause the visibility was about 10 feet.
Words can not express the feelings I have for this forum and the good folks here.
From the bottom of my heart, thank you to all. I don't know how to say thank you to such kindness and love I see directed to myself and my family.
When I find out more I’ll fill you all in.
Warm regards, Joe and family <3

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018 9:59AM

Not sure, but I believe you can go online and setup a "GoFundMe" account. Don't know the legalese on this.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2018 3:51PM

Let's see what we can do for our friend in distress <3 I am IN <3<3<3

Lets ask @HeatherBoyd if we can use her corporate email to send our Paypal F&F?

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me explain where I am at. I set up an account at GoFundMe and it has turned into quite an event. Much information(such as full names, email accounts and locations of those I wish to request funds from. I am afraid of giving out that much info as it may be reused later for like purposes. Paradisefound recommended to me to just collect the funds here and send them on to Joe. I would feel much more comfortable with this and if anyone else would rather handle the funds, great, I would love it, but I will do it as I started this. She has also contacted Heather to see if she had a better recommendation for handling this. Thanks to all and hopefully we will be able to help Joe.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018 11:09AM

@jesbroken said:
    Let me explain where I am at. I set up an account at GoFundMe and it has turned into quite an event. Much information(such as full names, email accounts and locations of those I wish to request funds from. I am afraid of giving out that much info as it may be reused later for like purposes. Paradisefound recommended to me to just collect the funds here and send them on to Joe. I would feel much more comfortable with this and if anyone else would rather handle the funds, great, I would love it, but I will do it as I started this. She has also contacted Heather to see if she had a better recommendation for handling this. Thanks to all and hopefully we will be able to help Joe.
    Jim

The easiest way is to use pp ie ppff to $$fundd it.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the link, guys. Probably best to set up a new thread and ask @HeatherBoyd to sticky it to the top:
    https://www.gofundme.com/bb3nn-paradise-lost&rcid=r01-15417868478-184a2f256b184c05&pc=ot_co_campmgmt_m

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018 11:18AM

@Outhaul said:
    We could all just PPFF to Joe's PP account directly.

Regards

Bob

That's the best idea I've read to date. Anyone dealt with Joe that would have his PayPal address?

@Outhaul said:
    We could all just PPFF to Joe's PP account directly.

Regards

Bob

That would require everyone getting his email address. I believe Gofundme is free, meaning all of the donation goes to Joe unless you use credit card, which is like PayPal, 2.9%.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two of our daughters got burnt out of their apartment while away at college last Winter. A friend set up a YouCaring account that helped them get back on their feet.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

I just was finally able to donate, so all is working just use the address as DCW gave: https://www.gofundme.com/bb3nn-paradise-lost&rcid=r01-15417868478-184a2f256b184c05&pc=ot_co_campmgmt_m

The fund has finally started to grow. Thanks for your patience in my ignorance in how to do this. DCW and Paradisefound were great helps.
    Jim

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope his herd made it out.
    I'm in.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just contributed!

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried but will not take paypal.:(

• chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

took my donation okay....... very generous members here

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Took mine as well.

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck Joe.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018 5:05PM

@DCW said:

Here is the link, guys. Probably best to set up a new thread and ask @HeatherBoyd to sticky it to the top:

@jesbroken said:
    The fund has finally started to grow. Thanks for your patience in my ignorance in how to do this. DCW and Paradisefound were great helps.
    Jim

@Paradisefound said:
    The GoFundMe is READY to accept ...... Thank you all for your generosity!!!!

@HeatherBoyd said:
    I have made some minor changes to the post and stickied it to the top of the category. the PCGS team is heartbroken to hear that one of our members has been struck by this terrible tragedy and our hearts go out to @crazyhounddog and any others who have been affected by the California fires and mass shooting that have taken place this week.

Wow! I knew this was a great forum!

Edit to add.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Supposedly the former McDonalds in Paradise, CA. Photo supposedly from a member of the 'Oakland Fire Department':

• KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018 6:43PM

wow

• BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if he had insurance?

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BarberFanatic said:
    Does anyone know if he had insurance?

Even w/insurance, there is a deductible etc.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in now, Good luck CHD!

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

The before/after pics of McD are heartbreaking.
    Stay strong CHD/ Joe.

Got my donation in. What an unspeakable tragedy, folks. And for this to happen to one of our own is just terrible. Terrible!
    I hope everyone finds it in their heart to contribute.
    I cant imagine what he is going through right now.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely awful !

I am lucky enough to live in the house I was born in, 70 years ago. I cannot fathom the loss that has occurred to Joe and his family. To be 3 households in the same family to have lost everything homes, personals, valuables, business and all the memorable events captured on laptops, desktops, film, photographs and furniture. Cannot compute. People please help as your finances allow. These wildfires out there are unbelievable, and every year. God Bless all of the people who are in or near the inferno's path. Thanks to all that have contributed and to all those offering their support. I know Joe does.
    Jim

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Five years ago shortly after I had moved to Colorado Springs the Black Forest Fire started about three miles East of the house. Fortunately (for us) the wind was blowing it away from us. The plume of smoke rose straight up about 25,000 feet and drifted East forming a solid wall of smoke. Ended up taking out 500 houses and killing two people who waited too long trying to load up possessions.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just some thoughts for everyone and crazyhounddog and his kids. I assume that they have homeowners insurance. If so, they will receive some funds fairly quickly to get themselves into a hotel or motel room with a small kitchen set up so they have somewhere to live. They should also receive some money to get food and sundries and some clothes.

The amount of ALE coverage is usually substantial so it should cover a stay during rebuilding. Roofing materials, siding and types of flooring are usually described when the quote was generated so that will help when it comes to rebuilding.

The real bear in the process is remembering, and then substantiating, all of the ‘stuff’ that makes up our lives. Sure, we probably have detailed lists of our collections, but how many plates and cups did you have, and who made them, and what were the makes and models of electronics and appliances that you have had for a while? Very hard to remember it all.

For those who still have homes, it is a good idea to do the following. Start a video on your cell phone and slowly pan around each room of your home. Open drawers and cabinets as you pan around and have a running commentary ie ‘here is the sterling silver bowl I inherited from my mother’ down to ‘here is my linen closet where you can see we have x pillow cases, y sheets that are xyz threadcount egyptian cotton’ etc. once you have done this to every room in the house, upload the videos to the cloud where they can be retrieved even if photo albums and cell phones are destroyed in the fire.

Assuming crazyhounddog didn’t do this, he and family still have resources. Over time they will have taken photos in their home with their phones and likely posted many to social media. Go to your phones and Facebook pages and look for pics that show some possessions and use them to substantiate your claim. Even contact friends who came to parties and see if they have any pics that include any of your possessions. You can usually remember many otherwise forgotten items through these resources. Also contact your credit cards and ask for statements as far back as they provide them. Look through ‘my orders’ histories on any websites you regularly purchased from to gather evidence of your losses.

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be out of control if this happened to me no matter what resources I had, in fact, I would not be commenting at all... but that's just me. :)

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please consider making a donation to assist Joe and his family.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just donated. It was real easy. Thank you all and good luck !!! :)

Timbuk3

This is for Joe and his family ..... I am in <3

edited November 9, 2018 9:04PM

I will double it on the next contributor <3

PM me when you do :)

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018 9:05PM

@Paradisefound said:

I will double it on the next contributor <3

:#

I'll put mine in to match yours @TurnoSnail ...... Thank you for your generosity!

edited November 9, 2018 9:18PM

@Paradisefound said:
    I'll put mine in to match yours @TurnoSnail ...... Thank you for your generosity! \

Knowing you. You have already contributed so much already. Anyhow, I thought I marked Anonymous Silly me and got trigger happy.

edited November 9, 2018 9:43PM

In under Anonymous Mahalo! B)

edited December 1, 2018 6:46PM

Thank you everyone for your generosity on behalf of @crazyhounddog ! <3

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:

I thought I marked Anonymous Silly me and got trigger happy.

I did the same thing. Couldn't figure out how to change it.

@Paradisefound said:
    In under Anonymous Mahalo! B)

You cheated and contributed more than once I bet!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file