Home Precious Metals

The new norm: 800pt Dow drop gets hardly a mention

DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was that on your radar today with the hurricane news? Is under 5% not headline worthy anymore?

Comments

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

FAKE NEWS!!!!

GrandAm :)
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not on my newsfeed, but I was feeling it.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watched it closely from the TVIX bleachers.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw it earlier, for some reason it didn't seem like a big deal. Maybe the focus was on Hurricane Michael !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

Dang, did any of you metals only guys buy stock recently?

Curses ;~

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

the percentage matters more than the raw number move

gold futures pit trading stops at 1:30pm. volumes tail off from there.

from about 1:30 on... gold was in a line up to 5pm. from about 1193 to 1198. I wish it would move like that every market sell off.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fear of November 6th setting in?

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if the PPT was working today.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

The long overdue correction started last week. Nothing new nor unusual. It's a normal process of the market. PM investors should be familiar with that scenario. ;)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew jmski top-ticked it.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2018 7:23PM

Lovin the regression toward the mean. Busy reallocating these past months, process continues..

Edit, post of the millennium Weiss!
    Dotto, but change all the details.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

I knew jmski top-ticked it.

All I had to do was think about buying a share of stock.

I knew it would happen.

Weiss....You're just one "happy dude." :)

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weiss, keeping it real, bravo!

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

You got it figured out, Weiss. Go write that book. :)

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

WTSHTF, we're all heading to Weiss' house! :D

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well stated @Weiss.... You have the bases covered, even in case of a black swan event... well, in many scenarios anyway.... Just in case, be sure to bequeath me that silver tankard you acquired... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Well stated @Weiss.... You have the bases covered, even in case of a black swan event... well, in many scenarios anyway.... Just in case, be sure to bequeath me that silver tankard you acquired... :D;) Cheers, RickO

as his long lost nephew I object to that joke.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Down ~530 as of 2:50pm, yippee.

Daq 100 is only down 54 vs dow down 452

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2018 2:10PM

Ones and zeroes.

@VanHalen said:

rising interest rates, bubbles popping

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must be the Russians. lol
    Semper Fi!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

So, stock averages lost 3% of the 30% they gained over the past few years, and gold gained 3% of the 30% it lost?

@derryb said:

@VanHalen said:

If the Fed Funds rate was at the historic average of 4% it wouldn't be a pop, it would be an implosion.

So, stock averages lost 3% of the 30% they gained over the past few years, and gold gained 3% of the 30% it lost?

Call me suspicious, but it seems to me that monetary policy has had something to do with both phenomena. What we haven't seen yet is the net result of the debt, but I suspect that it's coming.

I knew it would happen.

@VanHalen said:

@derryb said:

@VanHalen said:

If the Fed Funds rate was at the historic average of 4% it wouldn't be a pop, it would be an implosion.

Why? Hasn't the economy done well in the past with interest rates much higher?

@Baley said:

You may want to revisit your math to accurate representation lest you raise suspicion of nefarious activity.

Well, those are suspiciously round numbers and vague time frames, will leave it to the detectos on the forum to knock down the straw men with some exact figures. Wheremiwrong?

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easy money comes & goes. Stick with the properly valued ones.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

You may want to revisit your math to accurate representation lest you raise suspicion of nefarious activity.

Well, those are suspiciously round numbers and vague time frames, will leave it to the detectos on the forum to knock down the straw men with some exact figures. Wheremiwrong?

I realize that sarcasm is lost on you when it comes to the banking system's 10 years' manipulation of interest rates and financial markets, but that doesn't make it any less true. I should probably say 20 years' worth since the passage of Graham-Leach-Bliley.

I knew it would happen.

Why not make it 105 years since the 1913 when the Fed was created?

edited October 12, 2018 6:05PM

Why not make it 105 years since the 1913 when the Fed was created?

Mainly, because Graham-Leach-Bliley gave free reign to the banks to mingle the mortgage loan business with commercial banking which resulted in the creation of the current derivatives problem, which is nothing more than a banking scam built upon a banking scam.

You make a good point, however. Both the Fed and the 1999 bill were designed to favor big banking and to screw the public.

I knew it would happen.

Screw the public, or half the public?
    The above-the-median half are doing Better Than Average, right?

I think he means the public that didn't see the benefit of borrowing at the lowest rates they will ever see. Why would anyone want to use the banks money to leverage into productive assets at super low rates?

@cohodk said:

@VanHalen said:

@derryb said:

@VanHalen said:

Why? Hasn't the economy done well in the past with interest rates much higher?

Leverage. Debt is running the show now.

edited October 13, 2018 4:26AM

From a Federal Reserve banker's perspective, the public is anyone who's not a Federal Reserve banker. Does that help clarify?

I knew it would happen.

@jmski52 said:
    From a Federal Reserve banker's perspective, the public is anyone who's not a Federal Reserve banker. Does that help clarify?

So that means me and you and Baley and Weiss? We were all screwed? I think we might all say, "do it again!!" No?

@jmski52 said:

The Fed sometimes refers to us as civilians subject to collateral damage. :o

So that means me and you and Baley and Weiss? We were all screwed? I think we might all say, "do it again!!" No?

If you actually work for a living instead of skimming money from other people's transactions or working in an industry where management benefits from windfall money that is driven by government rules & regs - where the government subsidizes your industry, and picks the winners & losers by erecting barriers to competition - then yeah, you've been screwed.

I knew it would happen.

@jmski52 said:

If you actually work for a living instead of skimming money from other people's transactions or working in an industry where management benefits from windfall money that is driven by government rules & regs - where the government subsidizes your industry, and picks the winners & losers by erecting barriers to competition - then yeah, you've been screwed.

Ask nearly any American outside the top quartile, and that's 250 million of us, how they've fared over the last decade. Most of them are holding their own at best.

@VanHalen said:

Ask nearly any American outside the top quartile, and that's 250 million of us, how they've fared over the last decade. Most of them are holding their own at best.

Best to position ones self to 'hold their own' regardless of what government does. This requires as little a position in the government's currency as possible.

@VanHalen said:

@jmski52 said:

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong, and I'm one of your mentioned 250 million.

@OPA said:

@VanHalen said:

@jmski52 said:

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong, and I'm one of your mentioned 250 million.

If you agreed with me you could not be wrong.

Re-read what I wrote.

To wit: The bottom 70 percent of U.S. households have a net worth of less than $100,000, and they own less than 9 percent of the total U.S. wealth. US ECONOMY> ECONOMY STATS> KIMBERLY AMADEO>June 22, 2018

@VanHalen said:
    To wit: The bottom 70 percent of U.S. households have a net worth of less than $100,000, and they own less than 9 percent of the total U.S. wealth. US ECONOMY> ECONOMY STATS> KIMBERLY AMADEO>June 22, 2018

Was there ever a time in America when those stats were markedly different?