Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wait until you see this amazing SS Central America coin!

After 157 years on the Atlantic Ocean seabed, this 1857-S Double Eagle from the SS Central America is the probably the most beautifully toned gold coin you'll ever see.

https://coinweek.com/us-coins/us-gold-coins/amazingly-toned-gold-coin-recovered-with-ss-central-america-treasure/

"If it happens in numismatics, it's news to me....

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hasn't that one been on here before? Most did not like it.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, that coin has been shown here before. Who owns it now? What did it sell for? Personally, I happen to like it.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was hoping to see that coin at the February Long Beach show. I think it needs to be seen in person to see if you like it or not. The photo shows the interesting colors, but I'm wondering how the luster is.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to own it, but that will never happen, lol

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks burned

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t care for that coin at all. For me it would be the nightmare after curation went bad.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

is that a scrubbed spot above here eye in front of the L in Lib?

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a fan, but for the people that like toning I'm sure to some it looks amazing. I don't like the scratches on it on the field above the eye and some of the darker areas.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    HalfsenseHalfsense Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Donato, I don't think those are "scratches." The coin is MS67.

"If it happens in numismatics, it's news to me....
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would be a nice look on silver. On gold, it doesn’t look “right” to me.

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2018 10:04AM

The point brought up before still intrigues me. It was suggested that the color was not toning of the coin itself, but rather toning of the added rust that became attached to the coin while on the sea floor. Would be interesting to learn more about what was done to the coin in the conservation process to remove surface deposits, if anything at all.

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Would be a nice look on silver. On gold, it doesn’t look “right” to me.

I think that's the only reason I do like it. It's unique and wasn't man made which I think everyone would assume it was if not for knowing the source. I'm curious what caused this and why only this one and not any of the other ones that sat down there with it. Such a strange and interesting coin.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 67, the luster must be simply amazing!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

its nice but its not for me, thanks though

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugly!

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

A touting we shall go, a touting we shall go..... :)

• Options

That's what makes this hobby so much fun! People have different tastes so they collect differently. Thanks for posting this. I will look forward to seeing the coin in person at the ANA.

No good deed goes unpunished

carolinacollectorcoins.com
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2018 8:57AM

Just don't bring along oxalic acid ! ;)

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks rusty. Pass.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the fist time I saw that coin, until now, I thought it was ugly. It might qualify as natural toning, but there is nothing natural looking about it, at all!

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2018 7:41PM

Moneymonkey1:

"AT........Atlantic Toning. :#"

@CaptHenway said:
    Original crust-acean

On a roll ... don't stop now!

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Hasn't that one been on here before? Most did not like it.

Yes. I posted on this and the 67+ earlier last week.

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think she's the cover girl of the SS Central - like it or not

• Options

@ricko said:
    I am a gold lover... even crusty gold... However, that one is U G L Y!!!!! :s Cheers, RickO

I respectfully disagree with you. I love toning.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭

Another market grade for some to ponder but a no grade for me. How about 'sunken details'

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2018 9:16PM

Question: If that came to PCGS in the mail, and wasn't a known deep sea find....what would they have done with it? Questionable color? Environmental Damage?

Not a real fan myself....but you have to admit, it's "different".

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Whoever buys this coin may find himself under water in a few years.......

I see what you did there..... :tongue:

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe this discussion should have anything to do with tone and whether this coin or others from the hoard should be viewed as toned, AT, NT or any other way too discuss them.

shouldn't we just acknowledge that they have been environmentally damaged??

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @keets ....All tarnish is environmental damage, however, this one is extreme...Enameled coins are more attractive - and I do not care for them either. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:
    Another market grade for some to ponder but a no grade for me. How about 'sunken details'

I wonder if this coin would have gotten a grade if it had not been recovered from the SS Central America? I think the usual grade might have been “environmental damage.”

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

It's fugly. Simple as that. No amount of hyperbole will help convince otherwise.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

If any of us ever submitted a gold coin with toning like this to PCGS, it would come back "CODE 91 - Questionable Color" or "CODE 97 - Environmental Damage".

Yes, I agree with many other users that this coin is hideous.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShadyDave said:
    If any of us ever submitted a gold coin with toning like this to PCGS, it would come back "CODE 91 - Questionable Color" or "CODE 97 - Environmental Damage".

The history of the coin helps with the determination, as it should.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

The history of the coin helps with the determination, as it should

really??

• Options
    edited July 25, 2018 8:28AM

@OriginalDan said:

@ShadyDave said:

The history of the coin helps with the determination, as it should.

It should NOT. It is fine to put its provenance on their holder, but if PCGS considers that to NOT be environmental damage or artificial toning then they must NEVER consider it to be. PCGS has standards it could apply to these coins. The market could choose, as it often has, to ignore the damage on sea salvage coins. But pretending that these coins are not either damaged or cleaned or both undermines their very standards.

• Options

@asheland said:
    In 67, the luster must be simply amazing!

You are assuming the same standards apply to these coins as other submissions.

• Options

@RogerB said:
    Identical grading standards must apply regardless of provenance, emotional connection, or assumed "value." Otherwise, coin grading, and all of its implications, are false and an outright fraud.

Agree. And it feeds into the (possibly true) sense that some pigs are more equal than others.

And there IS a precedent. Spanish coins from shipwrecks are noted either as "shipwreck coins" or even "environmental damage"

https://ebay.com/itm/PCGS-Rare-Shipwreck-Effect-Spain-8-Reale-Cob-Philip-III-1599-62-Pillar-Coin/173423494619?hash=item2860d885db%3Ag%3AfB4AAOSwHxFbUpiZ%3Asc%3AUSPSFirstClass%2114623%21US%21-1&_sop=10&_sacat=0&_nkw=shipwreck+pcgs&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0%7C0

https://ebay.com/itm/1854-So-Chile-1-Peso-SS-Central-America-Gold-Label-PCGS-Certified-Shipwreck/192524071299?hash=item2cd3543183%3Ag%3A~sUAAOSwcuRa53hF&_sop=10&_sacat=0&_nkw=shipwreck+pcgs&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0%7C0

• Options

Grading MUST be as objective, impartial and consistent as humanly (or mechanically) possible. Failure in one circumstance destroys ALL TRUST and credibility in any 'grading' decision.

A lie is a lie. More lies will not make it truth.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Environmentally damaged. Coin shop owner might offer melt if a private metal detectorist brought this in.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file