Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

June 2018 Pickups...

Comments

• Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Those Griffeys are great. I remember Flair and loved the design. Nowadays it's those Fleer Ultra cards that capture my eye. From the mid-90s until they ended, Fleer Ultra had the best base design IMO. I love the full bleed photos and the variations on the little league font for the player's name. I am a sucker for the Gold Medallion parallels and usually target them as my representative rookie card for a player.

Great pickups everybody. The diversity here is so much fun to take in.

Arthur

Arthur, I could not agree more, I love Fleer Ultra! The Gold and Platinum medallions are some of my favorite cards of that era, always adding them to my Yankees and Cowboys binders.

Really? I never see them at the place that shall not be named. Do you have shiny shame, my friend? You're holding back on me, Abe!

Arthur

I kill enough threads with my weird basketball items and Dallas Cowboys cards. No sense casting my pearls before swine, LOL. Honestly, I rarely scan my ungraded pickups, if I did you would be put through a constant barrage of 1990's Curtis Martin, Bernie Williams and Andy Pettitte cards.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • clarke442clarke442 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:
    @clarke442 Whats the story with the 95 Roy. UD did have a NHL license in '95 right? But it looks like they changed colors and hid logos or am I missing something?

From what I remember, the "Be a Player" sets were done thru the Players Union and not the NHL, which is why the Team Logos are not there. I don't know why they also changed the color of the Avalanche jersey, maybe a trademarked color.

I believe these sets started around and because of the '94 Strike, autograph in every pack, they where fun rips.

ps Still loving the Sabres run

• CARDSANDCOINSCARDSANDCOINS Posts: 340 ✭✭✭

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

KC...

Beautiful high end examples for the grade! I use the PWCC-HE filter to narrow my search on his auctions. Great pickups!!!

mint_only_pls
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

With respect to my collection, this particular addition fits in the broader theme of classic New York baseball. But even more than that, it falls into a pretty unique niche and I happen to be on a low pop kick lately. While low pop doesn't always mean scarce (I know) I think this one actually is kinda scarce. Maybe I am wrong (please fill me in, fellas, as I can take it and I like the card regardless). I'm going to abide by the whole don't talk about a no hitter and dance around it instead so I'll just say the highest graded example currently is a 5. So without further ado, may I present what will soon be just the 6th ever to find its way into a PSA slab.

1947 Bond Bread Exhibits Jackie Robinson

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2018 6:50AM

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    With respect to my collection, this particular addition fits in the broader theme of classic New York baseball. But even more than that, it falls into a pretty unique niche and I happen to be on a low pop kick lately. While low pop doesn't always mean scarce (I know) I think this one actually is kinda scarce. Maybe I am wrong (please fill me in, fellas, as I can take it and I like the card regardless). I'm going to abide by the whole don't talk about a no hitter and dance around it instead so I'll just say the highest graded example currently is a 5. So without further ado, may I present what will soon be just the 6th ever to find its way into a PSA slab.

Nice Jackie, Tim. Best of luck on the submission. Unfortunately, despite what PSA says, it's not from 1947. A more likely issue date is 1951 based on the inclusion/exclusion of certain cards in the set. The 1947 Bond Bread cards have rounded corners. The square-corner Exhibit-size white back cards were issued in boxes at a later date and are almost certainly not related to Bond Bread at all. They were found in Sports Star Subjects packages. The Bond Bread cards had beveled corners because they were inserted into loafs of bread.

(any excuse to show off my Berra :smiley: )

There was also a "find" of these ~1980 where thousands of examples of 24 of the 48 cards in the set were found in a warehouse. These are reprints and have a toned back as opposed to the 1951 white back. The reprints are also on a thicker stock.

Here is a link to the Net54 thread:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=92743

It's a must read for anyone thinking about buying or selling Bond Bread cards. It's also just an interesting hobby investigative thread where a bunch of people combined to solve a card issue's backstory.

Arthur

@Kid4hof03 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Those Griffeys are great. I remember Flair and loved the design. Nowadays it's those Fleer Ultra cards that capture my eye. From the mid-90s until they ended, Fleer Ultra had the best base design IMO. I love the full bleed photos and the variations on the little league font for the player's name. I am a sucker for the Gold Medallion parallels and usually target them as my representative rookie card for a player.

Great pickups everybody. The diversity here is so much fun to take in.

Arthur

Arthur, I could not agree more, I love Fleer Ultra! The Gold and Platinum medallions are some of my favorite cards of that era, always adding them to my Yankees and Cowboys binders.

Really? I never see them at the place that shall not be named. Do you have shiny shame, my friend? You're holding back on me, Abe!

Arthur

I kill enough threads with my weird basketball items and Dallas Cowboys cards. No sense casting my pearls before swine, LOL. Honestly, I rarely scan my ungraded pickups, if I did you would be put through a constant barrage of 1990's Curtis Martin, Bernie Williams and Andy Pettitte cards.

I would love to see a constant barrage of Curtis Martin stuff. The one player that could unite Pats and Jets fans on something.

Arthur

• BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

Happy to have finally landed this beauty (and for a killer price), the last card I need in the year, making me complete through 1994.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

It's a must read for anyone thinking about buying or selling Bond Bread cards. It's also just an interesting hobby investigative thread where a bunch of people combined to solve a card issue's backstory.

Arthur

What a read, thanks for sharing.

@BunchOBull said:
    Happy to have finally landed this beauty (and for a killer price), the last card I need in the year, making me complete through 1994.

WHOA!

You completed the entire Supers run?

Arthur

• Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

Wanted this one in a 10 since I was a kid.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

@ReggieCleveland said:

Nice Jackie, Tim. Best of luck on the submission. Unfortunately, despite what PSA says, it's not from 1947. A more likely issue date is 1951 based on the inclusion/exclusion of certain cards in the set. The 1947 Bond Bread cards have rounded corners. The square-corner Exhibit-size white back cards were issued in boxes at a later date and are almost certainly not related to Bond Bread at all. They were found in Sports Star Subjects packages. The Bond Bread cards had beveled corners because they were inserted into loafs of bread.

There was also a "find" of these ~1980 where thousands of examples of 24 of the 48 cards in the set were found in a warehouse. These are reprints and have a toned back as opposed to the 1951 white back. The reprints are also on a thicker stock.

Arthur

I had read this before the purchase and it's an interesting thread. For sure. People can believe what they like about these various murky dated issues. Half the fun of the oddball stuff is finding out when and where things are from but I always hesitate to claim absolute certainty of anything where the chief reported findings are from an internet thread - call me old fashioned. Sometimes it is good detective work that results in a real discovery and other times it seems more like consensus among like minded people. Like most things you read these days, take them with multiple grains of salt.

Maybe the whole shaker. :)

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

@BunchOBull said:

WHOA!

Arthur

Oh no, though the whole set was available for around $1k, a great deal. I was just hopeful other player collectors would get their card. No, I meant my last Frank Thomas card for 1992; it completes my Frank run through 1994.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com

@BunchOBull said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@BunchOBull said:

WHOA!

Arthur

Oh no, though the whole set was available for around $1k, a great deal. I was just hopeful other player collectors would get their card. No, I meant my last Frank Thomas card for 1992; it completes my Frank run through 1994.

Well it's an awesome pickup. Those DK Supers are considered white whale by many. Congrats to you, sir. A 9, too. Simply awesome pickup.

Arthur

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

I had read this before the purchase and it's an interesting thread. For sure. People can believe what they like about these various murky dated issues. Half the fun of the oddball stuff is finding out when and where things are from but I always hesitate to claim absolute certainty of anything where the chief reported findings are from an internet thread - call me old fashioned. Sometimes it is good detective work that results in a real discovery and other times it seems more like consensus among like minded people. Like most things you read these days, take them with multiple grains of salt.

Maybe the whole shaker. :)

That's certainly good advice. Ted Z has been known to rely on his memory a bit too much in the past. But the others involved are reputable collectors with a long history on the board. There's also Adam Warshaw, who literally wrote the book on boxing cards AND Exhibit cards (both extraordinary books and worth their weight in gold if anyone is going to purchase or sell in either category) dating the set 1951 due to the boxers in the set.

So this isn't a couple of kids just tossing out theories. These guys have spent most of their adult life researching the hobby in some way shape or form. As the thread shows, they're relying on information gathered from numerous sources and following that to its logical conclusion. PSA? They just slapped the Bond Bread date and label on the cards because they look like the 1947 Bond Bread cards, which, coincidentally, they don't grade anymore because they weren't capable of discerning legitimate from fake.

Arthur

Arthur,

Like I said, people can believe what they like. I'm just a guy who collects cards. There are several cards that fall into this category (cards of questionable date) and I like to have a few in addition to the more standard fare. For what it's worth, I have found that often the guys who shout the loudest in these situations have a financial stake in the situation, too. I don't collect for those reasons or at that level (though I've stumbled upon a few high grade items over the years) so I just buy what my eye likes and my wallet can afford and enjoy it for what it is - a hobby.

Tim

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tho I have no appreciation for hockey players/game/cards, I sure like what you pick up Kevin.

That goes for you too Nathanael.

Beautiful cards.

Mike
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

4SC dropped the price, bought it off their site.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats JoeBonzai! That's a huge pickup, those are so tough.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
    edited June 16, 2018 7:34PM

Fun, weird, vintage, Mickey.

The above program is from the first time Mickey Mantle sat in a dugout in uniform as a New York Yankee. While he didn't play any games for the team in 1950, he did get the nod to be a September call up and get a taste and firsthand view of pinstripe baseball. So, in a way that possibly only I see, this is a pretty cool little piece.

• Wow, lots of great stuff. Hard to believe that 54' Williams is in a 4 holder! Here's my newest:

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 said:

Thanks! Only 12 graded by PSA. Sure glad that 4SC drops their prices if an item doesn't sell!!! So maddening when an item that is way overpriced sits on ebay for years with seller never budging on the price.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

Thanks! Only 12 graded by PSA. Sure glad that 4SC drops their prices if an item doesn't sell!!! So maddening when an item that is way overpriced sits on ebay for years with seller never budging on the price.

I often wonder if some seller actually want to sell items. They price BINs at prices much higher than even other BINs frequently.

• yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

I really like your Kaline rookie but now I'm wondering if mine (left) is just a little undergraded.

• JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Some awesome cards posted here as aways. Been slow goings lately for me....but I did pick up these 4 in a recent late night eBay flurry. The Murray puts me at over 50% on his PSA basic set, which I still have not made public. Been slow and steady with that endeavor.

A couple of cheapies for the Bregman stash....

Here's a card I just liked. Was surprised to win the auction but always happy to pick up this guy's early cards.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JKT said:
    Some awesome cards posted here as aways. Been slow goings lately for me....but I did pick up these 4 in a recent late night eBay flurry. The Murray puts me at over 50% on his PSA basic set, which I still have not made public. Been slow and steady with that endeavor.

A couple of cheapies for the Bregman stash....

Here's a card I just liked. Was surprised to win the auction but always happy to pick up this guy's early cards.

Congrats on the Murray. I have been slowly plugging away on the Basic Darryl Strawberry set for a while, so I know those are always major projects. I also collect Bregman, congrats on both of those as well!

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2018 7:27AM

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭

Side work has allowed me to go for best of both worlds, although I've slowed down the purchases significantly. Here are two recent additions:

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

This pickup is also 'Tangent Mantle' (like the program posted earlier) and I have always wanted one but I have been patient trying to find one in good shape at a good price and with the original case. I'll explain it below:

This little item was handed out, as you probably guessed, to commemorate Mothers Day in 1967. However, it took on added significance after one Mickey Charles Mantle smacked career home run number 500 that afternoon. I don't quite know how many were handed out that day. But it's a fun little addition to my ever growing collection of Mickey...

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a big fan of companion pieces Tim - very nice - "and" I really like pins/pendants.

Congratulations buddy.

Mike

@Stone193 said:
    I'm a big fan of companion pieces Tim - very nice - "and" I really like pins/pendants.

Congratulations buddy.

Thank you kindly. I have a nice package coming home tomorrow with five classic beauties inside; traditional baseball cards. Can't wait to share...

• yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

I did not have any cards of Tony Gwynn until now. I picked up 2.

Every time I see a PSA 10 '89 Upper Deck Griffey I say to myself "just go buy one." Then I think about how many there are and I think "I'm sure there will be a time when they dip down a little" and I wait. They never do. It's a bullet-proof card. The iconic card of multiple generations. That example looks perfect.

Those '56s look great, Tim. Like you said, eye appeal > technical grade all day long.

That Gwynn rookie is a screamer. Not sure what the back looks like but I'd be louping that thing pretty hard. You always post nice cards, @yoda99, but that one might require a ride on the crack & resubmit wheel.

Arthur

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2018 7:20PM

Difficult to find Mr. Hegan decently centered. Worth $25.

• Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

I just picked up this beaut to add to my PSA Mantle run. 60, 61, 62, 66, 67, 68 down so far.

• jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

Thanks again to Jerster for what was an incredibly beautiful set of cards at a fair price. I sent some of the lot off to PSA and here's a four pack of the bigger stars, from what I believe to be the most beautiful set Topps ever produced, that arrived home today. (A recent poll seemed to agree with the beauty of the set, too, but I disgress... :p ). And as someone who collects based predominantly on eye appeal and not grade, I was delighted by the way each graded out. DELIGHTED.

1956 Topps #135 Mickey Mantle #79 Sandy Koufax #30 Jackie Robinson #130 Willie Mays

Tim - hated selling that 56 Koufax, lol.

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

My latest sub hit my doorstep today, I am pretty pleased with it overall and even though I have much nicer cards than this one to choose from to display, I am going with the Murph

I have probably had the card for 20 years. I have always loved Murphy but have not graded too many cards of him. I happened across it a couple years ago while breaking up an 82 Donruss set I built. It has been sitting in a card saver in my to sub eventually box for quite a while. I am afraid this is going to lead me down a Murph wormhole.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies

@jerster said:

1956 Topps #135 Mickey Mantle #79 Sandy Koufax #30 Jackie Robinson #130 Willie Mays

Tim - hated selling that 56 Koufax, lol.

I don't blame you one bit but I am quite grateful you did! Here's the 'other' Sandy. Another card that I think sits in defiance of the technical grade...

...thanks again, Jerry - the whole lot is really outrageous.

1955 Topps #123 Sandy Koufax

• Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

@Largentcollector said:
    Awesome cardboard all around, I have been off of collecting for a couple of months. Some recent pickups.

That Erving and Alcindor need to be reviewed for bumps. Beautiful cards!!

@Largentcollector , that's quite a stash. Almost no black smudging on the Erving rookie and no fisheyes in the Squires. It's a gorgeous example. PSA comes down hard on the barnacle.

Are you going to cross the Jabbar?

Great pickups.

Arthur

Some Late 90’s Stadium Clubbin

@Largentcollector said:
    Awesome cardboard all around, I have been off of collecting for a couple of months. Some recent pickups.

Scans are looking great!

• Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:

I'm a sucker for the Griffey base cards for Stadium Club and Ultra. I'd like to complete the entire run of TSC and Ultra GM's in the next few years.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

edited June 24, 2018 5:38PM

@Huskies11 said:

@NGS428 said:

I'm a sucker for the Griffey base cards for Stadium Club and Ultra. I'd like to complete the entire run of TSC and Ultra GM's in the next few years.

They do have great photos! I can’t say I have seen too many cards with Jr sliding like this.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBrules said:
    Keith, those are two killer pickups. That Williams is just an incredible example for the grade. Congrats.

@KendallCat said:
    Picked both of these up the last two nights on eBay through PWCC. Was worried the HE stickers would crush my snipes, but got lucky and they held up and prices were not too bad. Really like the Williams for the price, and used to own 3 examples in PSA 8 and this one is very close for 1/10 the price.

KC

JB - thank you for the note. Got both cards in hand finally this weekend after chasing UPS around, and all I can say is I am shocked at the grades and very pleased with what I paid for each. In hand both cards look better than the scans, and need to look at them again with a lens to see what I am missing. The Williams looks like an 8 all day so there has to be something on the back or a crease somwhere. Does not matter to me since it looks like an 8 and was priced like a 4. The 5 Mantle is jaw dropping and can’t see spending $4-5k for an 8 versus this one.

KC

edited June 25, 2018 7:33AM

@Huskies11 said:

@NGS428 said:

I was about to type the same thing except I had never seen that '97 SC before. Congrats, @NGS428, you just sold a PSA 10 of that card at some point in the near future. Just a beautiful card. I've been on the Ultra GM train for a while but I obviously need to start looking closer at the SC, too. I'm also a big fan of the Pinnacle Trophy Collection or whatever they called the dufex cards from year-to-year.

This is one of my favorites in my collection. If I'm not mistaken there are 100 of these.

Arthur