Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Space Coins - Who collects them ?

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not but many of them are interesting :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't collect them, but have a couple. I've posted these before. They were my Dad's, got no clue where he got them.

(Fujairah is part of the UAE.)

Not a coin. Might not even be a precious medal.

Then, of course, then there's the SuzyB's...

• Options

Great coins @BackroadJunkie :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Space coins are out of this world! :s

I don't think I have any except Ikes and SBAs. I do plan on getting some of next year's Moon Landing commems.

I do have a few a few medallions made from flown metals - mainly the Space Shuttle but also a Soviet Union one.

• Options

Great historical coins @SkyMan

• Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Wow, great coins. Skyman, I did not know that dime existed. It looks like it flew on his Mercury mission as well, is that correct?

Mark
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2018 5:06PM

@MJPHELAN said:
    Wow, great coins. Skyman, I did not know that dime existed. It looks like it flew on his Mercury mission as well, is that correct?

Thank you.

There were 100 dimes (2 rolls) that Grissom brought on his Mercury flight, Liberty Bell 7. All of the ones that I have seen are 1961-D.

Because of the issues caused by the sinking of LB7 during the ocean recovery, Grissom played it very safe during his Gemini 3 flight and only brought 1 coin of various denominations. My understanding is that there is one Gemini 3 flown nickel and one quarter out there, but I've got the only dime. You'll note that the dime is a 1964 P. It actually was given to Guenter Wendt (check him up in Wikipedia), the so-called Pad Leader (or Pad Fuhrer) for all Mercury, Gemini and Apollo flights. In any case, it allows me to be the only person in the world with a complete set of Grissom flown dimes.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

The new proposed "Space Force" might produce some interesting medals.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exceptionally cool, SkyMan. :star:

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2018 5:28PM

The 1oz silver Niue Star Wars Trooper big seller for me at shows -sold out last time.

Sold a few on bay NGC MS69. World coins with interesting theme big sellers.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ranger1202ranger1202 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

I don't collect them specifically but I do have a few.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't collect them... but they are really nice.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, neat !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only space age medal that I own, is this one...3" bronze .... still available from the US Mint.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat medallions.... I believe I have a set (there were many) of them, reflecting the various missions. No real numismatic value, but an interesting time in history. @Skyman... You have the real treasures...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find them interesting though do not collect them.

In addition to ikes and SBAs, the Florida quarter is another one easily available.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does Moon Pandas count?

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

Moon Pandas are nice :smile:

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bullion with a space-related prediction for the future price of silver...

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know where I got this medallion (an estate) but I don't know what to do with it. I don't think it has much value.
    Lance.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh. This was recently brought to my attention...

Not my auction...

I wonder if it would slab... :D

• Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have collected these.
    Not my Photos.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried collecting coins made from material taken from alien spacecraft, but they kept dissolving into a 5th dimension.

• Options

@RogerB said:
    I tried collecting coins made from material taken from alien spacecraft, but they kept dissolving into a 5th dimension.

The trick is..................................the sixth dimension. :smile:
    Because in the "Fifth Dimension".................... AQUARIUS has control over all thing material, like planets.
    Great song from 1969 anyway :smile:

https://youtu.be/kjxSCAalsBE

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why didn't they bring Mercury dimes on the Mercury missions.

Now that would make make for a cool label.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

And thats some really cool stuff @SkyMan !!!

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BruceS said:
    Why didn't they bring Mercury dimes on the Mercury missions.

Now that would make make for a cool label.

It SOMEWHAT depends on what you mean by, "... they bring Mercury dimes on Mercury missions". In the 11 years I've been collecting space memorabilia I have NEVER seen a Mercury dime brought aboard a Mercury spacecraft BY AN ASTRONAUT. As of this point in time the only Mercurys that I know flew on Mercury spacecraft were put aboard Liberty Bell 7 (LB7) in various inaccessible places by various technicians who worked on the Mercury spacecraft. These coins were later found when Liberty Bell 7 was recovered from the ocean floor, roughly 38 years (1999) after it sank. There were 52 Mercurys recovered.

Most of the Mercurys I've seen pictures of have been heavily circulated and/or show serious effects from being in the ocean for 38 years (FYI, to the best of my knowledge, all the Roosevelts brought aboard by Grissom were UNC's). Just as of in coin collecting, every space memorabilia collector has to decide what he/she will collect. Some people go gaga for the Mercurys, as they are Mercurys, they flew on LB7 in space, and then sank to 15,000 deep in the ocean. For myself, they were never (to the best of my knowledge) touched by Gus Grissom, and generally they're in pretty crappy condition technically, so I have no interest in buying one.

• Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

I'm partial to the New Frontier medal that I use as my avatar

https://usmint.gov/coins/coin-medal-programs/medals/new-frontier

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file