Home U.S. Coin Forum

What would you offer for this 1928 Peace?

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you were to make an offer on this, what would it be? It has some residue on the obverse, which I’ll hit with acetone later. I was able to get it along with some others on my first offer, which I’ll tell in a bit.

I know there’s a big reluctance to talk about “value”, so just curious what would you offer if you threw out the first number?

Sorry about the cell phone pic.

Comments

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it wasn't improperly cleaned I'd say around $210 as a collector. certain a dealer would offer much less. Cleaned, I wouldn't buy it personally but it definitely has value to many.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

$50

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obv damage precludes much of a bid - even for a scarce date.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would result in no offer from me since it isn’t something I desire.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not be interested in this coin...but to answer your question and judging from the poor photos 150 bucks.

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2018 7:04PM

I felt pretty safe offering $100.00.
    There was also two 1986 ASEs, 1922 Peace, two Barber halves, two Franklins, four WLH, and some quarters. All-in-all $236.00 which I feel pretty good about. Especially since it may lead to other opportunities with this seller.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

$100 is ok...not great but ok.
    I think the obverse is corroded...looks like it from the picture.
    If it's not, and you can get it off, it was a decent deal.
    And as you said, it may lead to other deals, so maybe it may not even matter long term.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

$35 and a lot of LOVE <3

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea $100 is generous.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have been 30% behind grey sheet VF-XF, if it looked ok in hand. But then again, I tend to buy generously.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weak strike MS62 maybe $750.00 otherwise, if it grades the way it looks, $225.00

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not have been looking for the Peace dollar, but the overall deal was a bit high priced, though without actually evaluating each piece, I could be wrong on that. And future business could pay off in the long run. Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1928 Peace Dollar is very much overrated when it comes to "rarity". Since the coin pictured has problems I would decline to make an offer on it.

All glory is fleeting.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you sure that a mint mark has not been scrapped off the piece? Maybe others can check that from the photo provided, but I don't think I can. I've a fair number of these pieces with that problem.

Other than that, the piece looks like it's been cleaned in the middle of the obverse and perhaps all of the reverse. I would decline to buy it for much of a premium unless there is something else in the deal that you want.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    The 1928 Peace Dollar is very much overrated when it comes to "rarity". Since the coin pictured has problems I would decline to make an offer on it.

Does rarity really matter here? I think the prices are strong due to demand. Demand trumps rarity in this case.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

@291fifth said:

Does rarity really matter here? I think the prices are strong due to demand. Demand trumps rarity in this case.

True today but what about a few years down the road when it comes time to sell? The coin collecting population is slowly shrinking and a coin like the 1928 Peace Dollar ( Think "Hoard the Keys!") is going to be subject to downward price pressure. Add in the factor of "problems" and it looks even worse. Unless you can get the coin cheap and flip it immediately for a profit I would pass.

All glory is fleeting.
  • ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the verdict? Did you make an offer?

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I paid the 100 mentioned above. I'm very happy with the deal.

• ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

I think you did good with the price you paid DNADave, the only one it matters too is you and if you are comfortable with paying what you paid for it then that is all that matters. I think it was a good decent price you paid for it.

I don't understand where all of these people are getting their coins like this one for $50 bucks or just a little more than that if they do, I sure would like to know where the hell they are getting them at and see the coins that they pay that little for key coins like this one and I'm not talking about "oh, I paid $50 dollars for it about 20 years ago".

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

you paid fair compared to some other prices other members threw out there....

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a good deal. Feel free to post the pics after the '28 gets a bath.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file