Home U.S. Coin Forum

Whelp - One More Down, One More To Go - Early Gold

CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently picked up one of the last pieces for my 1798-1812 Half Eagle set from DWN. I still need to ask Todd to image it (as well as the 1812 I picked up back in December) at the next B'more show he'll hopefully attend (Hey Todd!). I'm not even going to try to image this thing, since my photography skills wouldn't do it justice. That said, I do have Doug's photos, as well as a PCGS TruView which gratuitously popped up when I added it to my registry set. This leaves the 1807 Bust Left as the remaining void in that date run. I'm sure I'll jump over and grab an 1813 as a book-end eventually, and maybe even a Small Eagle to round out full representation, but I seriously doubt I'd try to tackle any 1795-1797 or 1813-1834 date runs anytime soon... just seems a bit too impractical, not to mention darn near impossible. Here she is - until the next purchasing opportunity.

thanks -
'dude

Got Crust....y gold?

Comments

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. Gotta love old gold.

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

very pretty coin----beautiful color

• CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @topstuf... yeah... now that's a pretty Sheila for sure! We need to keep in touch... ;)

'dude

Got Crust....y gold?
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like it!

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yeah...that's a real nice coin!

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2018 3:52PM

@CharlotteDude said:
    Hey @topstuf... yeah... now that's a pretty Sheila for sure! We need to keep in touch... ;)

'dude

Hush hush, sweet Charlotte. :D

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’ is drop dead gorgeous

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin.......I like it a lot.

OINK

• KoveKove Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin. And somehow I think that unusual grade is just right.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

<3<3<3

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin!! I like overdates like that one that I can actually see without a loupe...

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's better than the 1806 in my set which is an AU-58.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    edited June 6, 2018 3:42AM

@jonruns said:
    Great coin!! I like overdates like that one that I can actually see without a loupe...

Agreed... I'm rather fond of the '02/1, '03/2 overdates, and particularly the '04/'04 Large Over Small date HE. Interesting story that brought the '02/1 into existence. I understand that the mint had cut the dies to make 1801 HEs for that year, but the main focus early on was production of 1801 Eagles, hence the high mintage comparable to 1800 & 1803 Eagles. Then once summer rolled around a rather nasty outbreak of yellow fever crippled the city, and wreaked havoc on mint personnel. By the time things turned around and the mint was ready to make HEs, 1802 was already approaching. Since die steel was very hard to come by, not to mention highly expensive to acquire, the engraver simply stamped the "2" over the "1" and 'viola', the overdate was born. By the look of things, they made little/no effort to conceal the date's alteration.

Here are the other overdates noted above:

'dude

Got Crust....y gold?
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2018 9:08PM

That is a nice looking piece of gold.

Thanks for sharing it.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

All your gold is splendid and I'm totally in awe of you new piece.
    Well done!!

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a wonderful example of such a vintage, historic piece.

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome, way to go Dude !!

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zowie!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • skier07skier07 Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love your Bust Half Eagles. Pretty sweet!!

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such a rarity <3 215 years old....if can only share the story through her life :)
    Wonderful pick up "CD" ;)

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool coin... great pick up! Congrats on getting one step closer to your goal.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CharlotteDude....Those are really great gold coins. I am always impressed when you show your beautiful gold collection. Those overdates are great and readily obvious even to my chronologically challenged eyesight. Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome!

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2018 7:27PM

Beautiful half eagles!
    For the 1804, I think you meant to write Small over Large 8.

(from PCGS CoinFacts):
    http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/8086

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
    edited June 6, 2018 3:53AM

Beautiful half eagles!
    For the 1804, I think you meant to write Small over Large 8.

You are correct YC... partially. While a widely used term is “Small 8 over large 8, the “1” and “0” were double punched also with the large then small logos. When preparing the dies for the 1804 Half Eagle run, the engraver mistakenly grabbed the date punches for the Eagle. He’d already punched in the “180” before realizing the digit impressions were too large. Scrapping the die wasn’t really an option, so what’s an engraver back in that day to do? Why, just grab the right-sized date punches and punch right over the blunder... and a small date over large date is born.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • CheyenneCheyenne Posts: 20 ✭✭

Wow, beautiful!

• BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

Nice
    Got to love original color on early gold!

• oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

There is something about old gold coins that makes them hard to pass on if the price is right or close and the coin as nice as that 1813. Thanks for showing.

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice!...that is nice

i like the green gold color you can see most evidently in the true view.

sweet 'dude

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2018 7:14PM

Congrats!! You have a beautiful set with just the right amount of crust.

Now for your turban head types, you should add the 1797/5 $5 large eagle (which will take some time to find) and the "STATES/"STATED" 1795 $5 (or the easier 1796/5). It'd take some time but those visible overdates/mistakes are my favorite early gold.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file