Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can we get this fake nuked? 1893cc NUKED! THANKS ALL!!

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 4, 2018 4:13PM in U.S. Coin Forum
Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

reported

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... I hope the seller - which seems to have a good record - takes this down himself.... Seems he may have been duped. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got a message from seller that they will have a coin shop look at it before they ship. So, there is hope that the buyer won't be screwed over.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    DantesDadDantesDad Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

That is one of the worst I've seen.

Always buying and looking for a deal.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Done!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't believe someone would actually bid on that. :s

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very few people can tell the difference between a counterfeit and an authentic coin. Differences in date, design, metal are all unknown to potential buyers (except experienced coin collectors). If it looks like a "rare coin," people will buy it.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2018 12:19PM

That's eBay. Look through FB mercury dimes sometimes. Seems sellers (and buyers) don't realize that the bands referred to are horizontal. BTW that Morgan is terrible by any standard even if it was real.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay...Nuked the auction.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Very few people can tell the difference between a counterfeit and an authentic coin. Differences in date, design, metal are all unknown to potential buyers (except experienced coin collectors). If it looks like a "rare coin," people will buy it.

I see what you mean, Roger, but I took one look at this one, and there was no doubt. If authenticating coins was like horseshoes, the pitch on that one went into bushes.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes :s !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill, I completely agree -- from a numismatic standpoint. I suspect, however, that most bidders for this stuff have no more than a casual knowledge....A Kennedy half dollar is a "Kennedy Half Dollar" regardless of composition or date. The distinctions we consider important don't have any meaning for most people.

Take an Ike dollar to Wally Mart - how much change will you get? Might be a lot more than you expected. :)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2018 3:56PM

It always makes me feel good knowing I did my part by reporting the counterfeit coin and help getting it taking down. Thank you @AUandAG for the heads up again.

Jim

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2018 3:54PM

@BillJones said:

@RogerB said:

I see what you mean, Roger, but I took one look at this one, and there was no doubt. If authenticating coins was like horseshoes, the pitch on that one went into bushes.

I had a guy bring 2 1894-S (or one of the keys from that period- I can't remember for sure- could've been '95-O) Morgans to my table at a show. One was real, and one was fake, not much better than the coin in the OP. After 10 minutes of showing him the differences, he still didn't understand. He didn't even grasp that the date font on the fake was completely different from the real one. He literally said "I don't see what you're talking about- they look the same to me." Not sure if he was in denial, or just didn't have an eye for detail.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    davids5104davids5104 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Just got a message from seller that they will have a coin shop look at it before they ship. So, there is hope that the buyer won't be screwed over.

bob :)

Yeah....I believe this :|

[Ebay Store - Come Visit]

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file