Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Topps Living Set

robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 10, 2019 5:13AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Not sure how there is no thread for this set so I thought I would start one.

Really neat concept.

Comments

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up week 1 and 2 Robert.

I noticed that it shows "shipped" for 1 but haven't received it yet.

I think the Judge is sweet.

Mike
  • robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 11:47AM

edited June 5, 2019 11:46AM

• burghmanburghman Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Surprised to see Jeter in the latest round - the way I read it, I thought they were only going with active players but apparently not. I wonder how far back they'll take it... could there be a Mantle, Aaron, Ruth, etc...?

Jim

edited June 5, 2019 11:45AM

edited April 7, 2018 6:13PM

I got my first set and I'm calling customer service about a return and hopefully a swap.

All 3 cards are only OK centered (and that's being generous) - not what I would expect for that kind of money IMO.

On the plus side? The cards are incredible looking and nicely packaged in a Topps box.

Mike
    edited September 25, 2019 5:52PM

Sorry the quality wasn't what you expected, Mike. Hope Topps makes it right.

I was fortunate that mine were crisp and centered. Still haven't received week 2, though..

edited April 8, 2018 11:02AM

@robert67 said:
    Sorry the quality wasn't what you expected, Mike. Hope Topps makes it right.

I was fortunate that mine were crisp and centered. Still haven't received week 2, though.

Thanx Robert.

I haven't either - I hope these are better.

I'm sure Topps will make good.

Mike
  • daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it slightly annoy anyone else that these are standard size? Also, I really can't tell through the holder, but are they the same stock as Throwback Thursday or as Topps Now?

Alex Relyea

• JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Have not seen any in hand but they look great to me online. Ordered 20 Ohtanis last week right at the deadline :) Saw the print run was almost 21k!

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

edited January 12, 2019 3:57PM

edited January 12, 2019 3:58PM

@JKT said:
    Have not seen any in hand but they look great to me online. Ordered 20 Ohtanis last week right at the deadline :) Saw the print run was almost 21k!

I ordered the set and 5 extra Ohtani cards to give as presents down the road.

The look and feel of the cards? Incredible IMO.

I have a problem with centering - but I'm sure I'll get that resolved.

Mike
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

I'm waiting on my Ohtani sets, and did buy a Judge on eBay. Judge was a little OC, but still nice. Probably a 9 if subbed. I'll be curious to see if they process a return for centering issues. That could open Pandora's Box it seems. My understanding is they print per order. If they start taking returns they'd have to print more and assumingly destroy the returns? Could some returns slip out the backdoor?

While it sounds like they printed 21K+ Ohtani's, I'm guessing orders for Jackie Bradley Jr. were considerably less. While I don't expect huge numbers of folks attempting to invest in a set with no end, wondering if some of the low pops realize small gains over time?

It's an interesting concept for sure. The design and art are awesome. Will they stick with 53 design in perpetuity, and if so does it at some point become stale?

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2018 12:47PM

I think folks will have to deal with centering. Luck of the draw. I doubt Topps will accept returns based on centering alone. I ordered multiples of Judge, Hoskins, and Ohtani. All the Judges looked good but 7/20 Hoskins had corner wear/white showing along the left edge. I contacted Topps concerning the corner issues but have not heard anything back beyond the standard automatic reply.

edited June 5, 2019 11:44AM

edited April 9, 2018 6:18PM

What a difference a day makes?

Check this out.

April 2nd:

April 8th: (note this card is #17/69 - his "Jersey Number"

Mike
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

that Judge card is really nice

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

edited June 5, 2019 11:44AM

edited June 5, 2019 11:41AM

• firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭

I agree with topps lake of quality control. My bought a single Aaron Judge to grade, had white showing on the left corner, had to sell it raw. I did buy 5 Ohtani but have yet to open the package. Sure hope they are min cause I would like to grade them.

# 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

yup, getting Gem Mint 10 cards isn't going ot be easy...of the 25 Jeter cards I got directly from Topps, only 1 has a shot...25% have some kind of colored dot somewhere on the front...another 25% have various markings on the back...the red portion on the lower front is also conducive to a white corner...and then there is the centering...not sure why they have such crappy quality in this day and age

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Thin stock card and poor quality. Wish they were like the Throwback Thursdays. Bought some Ohtanis and the red portion/corner is prone to damage.

@GoDodgersFan said:
    Thin stock card and poor quality. Wish they were like the Throwback Thursdays. Bought some Ohtanis and the red portion/corner is prone to damage.

Hiya Tom

Ya know when I got one of them - I thought the gloss and style/feel of the back was reminiscent of the real 53Ts - but I have to agree - when I was showing them to my wife - I realized they felt very thin.

But, still like them - just not as much.

Mike

Apparently Beckett isn't going to punish for the white corner on the front?

Got some Ohtani's from Topps and a Judge off eBay. At the time Hoskins could be had for 9.99. Have him on my fantasy team, and loving him, so put him on Watch but didn't pull trigger cuz I wanted to see how the community accepted the concept. Let's just say I'm bummed I didn't act. Especially since he was in the second series so print was pretty low. Also ordered some Acuna's but that run is gonna be so high that value may not hold in comparison to what will be a much lower run for the early series.

Acunas can be had on eBay for less that Topps site due to bulk orders. The more pre-orders the lower the overall value, I think. Print run on Acuna will likely be 5x+ the Hoskins run. It'll be interesting to see how the concept continues to play out.

edited June 5, 2019 11:41AM

• lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Can somebody explain the disparity and prices? For example, the set of three with Ohtanu sold anywhere from $150 to $250 today.

@robert67 said:
    The word on the BO board from a Topps Now Platinum member is that Topps is addressing the quality concerns with the Living Set cards.

What that means....I guess we will see.

I talked with a guy named Andy yesterday Robert and he was immensely helpful.

I'm returning some stuff - he emailed a return mailer and everything. Will let you know how it works out.

Mike
    edited January 12, 2019 3:59PM

I am guessing that if you someone bought the cards on Ebay, they wouldn't be able to send them to Topps for replacements?

edited January 12, 2019 4:00PM

• seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

just wanted to say that im in. love the set and basically it will be my return to modern cards. ive bought some heritage but i like this concept better.

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

we'll see how many weeks i keep buying

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
    edited May 2, 2018 1:58PM

Looks like the secret is out... 46K Acuna cards ordered vs. 21K Ohtani. Those higher numbers will surely lead to fewer flippers and might scare away those that thought they were flying under the radar...

Jim

edited June 5, 2019 11:40AM

edited January 12, 2019 4:00PM

I'm getting a bit discouraged.

The Bryce Harper I got was around 60/40 - and I'm expecting better than that at 15 per set or 5 per card.

Mike
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are cool and thanks for the link. Got in on the Acuna. Also got the email for the Topps On Demand Rookie Sensations set this morning. It's $75 so not sure if it is worth it or not. You do get one autograph so could hit an Ohtani, I guess.

https://www.topps.com/ondemand.html

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy crap, went back and bought a second set and guess I should have got more. They are already sold out and the sets with the autos/chase/parallels are selling for $250.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

I shoulda jumped when I got that email this AM - by the time I checked tonight, I noticed the same. Topps seems to be pushing all the right buttons...

Jim

Says like 6 days left too. I thought they'd do it like Living Set and print to order at 75 per for a week. Seems like a missed opportunity. I missed out too.

For some reason I'm not getting my regular emails from Topps.

Not in spam either. It's a Mac.

Not sure what's going on?

Mike
    edited June 5, 2019 11:38AM

edited June 5, 2019 11:38AM

edited May 6, 2018 1:03PM

Hope things go well Robert.

I've done a return also.

Mike
    edited June 5, 2019 11:37AM

Rcv'd my 40 Acuna cards from Topps yesterday. Pulled out only 5 that have a shot at a PSA 10. Many had print dots on the front, various black marks on the back, white lower corner on the front, etc...at what point can one return to Topps for replacements? I don't think you can return just because it won't get a grade of 10. Also, if they supposedly stop printing cards once the set is taken down and a new set of 3 is put up, how do they have cards to send out replacements? I would imagine there are some people who ordered 1000 Acunas -- can they return 500 if they have print marks on the front, etc?

edited January 12, 2019 4:01PM