Home U.S. Coin Forum

Revised Post- 1806 Counterfeit Half Cent Update (un-deleted).

burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 26, 2018 5:25PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Sorry; I previously killed this post due to a concern I had already kind of beat this one into the ground. I have posted here and in a couple of other venues and lost track of what's what. The 1806 half cent fake was originally discussed in a thread here at https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/983930/relisted-scary-good-counterfeits-1793-wreath-cent-1806-half-cent and I had added a comment to that one previously.

I have updated the post; the Coin Week article can be found at https://coinweek.com/counterfeits/struck-counterfeit-coin-week-1806-c-1-half-cent-1-page-attribution-guide/

Since then I have had a friend report he has purchased the source example and another in my Dark Side group reported he has 3 examples, 2 raw and one in a slab; I hope to get together with both and compare examples and notes.

Best, Jack.

Comments

• MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you very much for the article & update. Really enjoy them both.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately this is the second most common variety, after the 1804, Plain 4 Stemless, of the Draped Bust Half Cents. These pigs copy everything, included the common stuff.

Among the three, the second one has the most convincing finish.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darn... missed it again.... I feel so deprived... :'( ...... ;) Cheers, RickO

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

There should be a rule against deleting.....

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Contact the Information Necromancy Technologist. They can restore the dead thread at the nod of a head, or so it is said.

• burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2018 5:26PM

I have restored it to the best of my abilities!

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS slabbed two counterfeit half cents? Jeezy peezy. I know this stuff happens but still..

@Azurescens said:
    PCGS slabbed two counterfeit half cents? Jeezy peezy. I know this stuff happens but still..

Actually, PCGS is the one TPG that as far as I am aware did NOT certify one of these. The raw example donated to my collection is body-bagged by PCGS as "Counterfeit".

I have the opportunity to purchase the source example at a Sunday coin show; will post images when available.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are doing some good work here. Thanks for showing the importance of being careful.

Purchased the source coin; damaged "A" in HALF is the main attribution mark for this and all of the struck clones.

Source example listed in the 2013 Americana Stack's Bowers auction, lot # 14112.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great teaching set. Hopefully, in the far future, you might donate the two coins to the ANA for Summer Seminar. LOL, easy for this very jealous collector of C/F's to suggest.

I am loaning several to a friend who is teaching seminars at the Summer ANA next month.

Just had another example show up and added to the collection; shows these are still out there...

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burfle23 Thanks again for your posts.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file