Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's your coolest error ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stew, you liked my 2002 PCGS VG-10 cent.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

A friend called me up and told me he has a double denomination bill. A $5 on the obverse and a $10 on the reverse and it is crisp uncirculated. He told me he would not sell it. Maybe I can bribe him to get it.

Stewart
  • Options
    Here is the 1841-D quarter eagle that I referred to above. This coin really doesn't have my "look," but I couldn't resist the dramatic rotation. Although the TrueView doesn't show the rotation, the top of the Eagle's head is pointed at the 9 o'clock position--a startling rotation that everybody "gets." All 4,164 of the 1841-D quarter eagles were minted in a single press run on April 30, 1841. The coin is from the Harry Bass Collection and earlier from Stanley Kesselman, on May 21, 1968.

"Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2018 9:04AM

@STEWARTBLAYNUMIS said:
    Mine is probably my 1974 S Aluminum cent struck as a Lincoln cent proof and sent from the mint in a proof set.

Stewart

Sounds sweet Stewart. Do you have any pics of this coin?

Imagine a full 1974 PDS aluminum cent set?

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

1898 Omaha Nebraska Trans-Mississippi Exposition So-Called Dollar Indian Buffalo

• Options
    edited April 8, 2018 9:33AM

@Gluggo I love So-Called Dollar errors and that's a beautiful double strike!

• Options
    edited April 8, 2018 10:02AM

Beautiful and impressive full brockage @afford. Congrats.

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    woogloutwooglout Posts: 200 ✭✭✭

Do children count?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1855-D gold dollar, for which I paid way too much money. I still enjoy the coin.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    USAFRETWIUSAFRETWI Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possibly the finest known unlettered edge Capped Bust half dollar, 1812. Ex Elton Dosier, Stew Witham, Russ Logan, Henry Hilgard. It is imaged in the Logan sale catalog.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proof 65 Lincoln cent struck on a dime planchet

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    The 1855-D gold dollar, for which I paid way too much money. I still enjoy the coin.

What's the error?

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrearlygold said:

@mrearlygold How many pizza's do you need for that? ;):D

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have images of this cool 1974S aluminum error Cent Stewart ?

@STEWARTBLAYNUMIS said:
    Mine is probably my 1974 S Aluminum cent struck as a Lincoln cent proof and sent from the mint in a proof set.

Stewart

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@BillJones said:

What's the error?

The "error" was getting carried away in an auction and paying WAY too much. I had a warning. I was bidding live, and the person who ran me up was a phone bidder. They made a bid, and I was ready to drop out. Then they withdrew the bid which was the only time I have seen someone not honor a bid and have the auctioneer let them do it. The auctioneer asked me if I would like to honor my previous bid or have the lot re-opened. I honored the previous bid. That was probably a mistake.

The coin is well struck and original, bit others have purchased better examples at auction for a whole lot less.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CoinshowmanCoinshowman Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

My third child.

Successful Forum transactions in the last couple of years with: jwitten, liefgold, goldcoin98. Older transactions with shortrgapbob, abitofthisabitofthat, Duxbutt, Morgansforever, Elkevvo, Dunerlaw, Pwrful4, Billet7, AUandAG, pragmaticgoat, MPLunatic, Rob41281, holeinone1972, AnkurJ, OregonCityGold, Inditonka, Colorfulcoins, cohodk, Mission16, kieferscoins
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Six years later (from the OP) and I still do not have any cool errors.... :( I guess I will have to rectify this unforgivable situation....Mea Culpa....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to own this one:

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2018 11:02AM

@SullivanNumismatics said:
    1896 liberty nickel obverse deep die cap--flip-over double-strike, with "1896" on both sides of the coin. One of 2 known die caps for the series, and the only liberty nickel die cap that is a straight die cap.

As a bonus, the coin is also NGC MS66!

oh come on. that error is way too neat and the first of its kind i've ever seen.

when i read the descript before seeing the images, i was like, no way. little did i know. :)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

The insert is never wrong. Adjust your coin-viewing vision accordingly.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2018 12:43PM

@boiler78 said:
    Nothing nearly as cool as Stewart's ...... but here is my best error coin

That is too cool! Do you still own this 6 years later? .. The off center morgan?

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file