Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's your coolest error ?

Mine is probably my 1974 S Aluminum cent struck as a Lincoln cent proof and sent from the mint in a proof set.

Stewart

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    haven't got a kool error yet but will report back when ...."i gotz me one"
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    btw...were'nt the 74 alum's philly proof test examples?
    you got an "S"
    here's pix linked to old post incase any wants to see um...

1974 aluminum cent
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

It was cheap too! Cherry picked it from myself....imageimage
    Becky
  • Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    My coolest error coin is a 1921 Morgan with a struck thru grease error:

What makes it cool? Its also the VAM 85 Discovery / Plate Coin:
    Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yosemite State Park quarter from an OBW.

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For my U.S. coins, just a double date 2c piece I got from Charmy.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No really cool errors... I have a blank cent planchet found in change. Some of these are incredible though. Always makes me wonder how they left the mint. No doubt some were smuggled out. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the 1955 ddo thats in the safety deposit box image
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Coolest...and ONLY error besides varieties etc I guess. This one spoke to me so I bid on it and won it. I really like that it is MS66 RD where most errors have grades below MS65. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>Mine is probably my 1974 S Aluminum cent struck as a Lincoln cent proof and sent from the mint in a proof set.

Stewart >>

Stewart...you realize we need to see pretty pictures of this ....right? Come on......you can't start a fun thread like this without pretty pictures. We are a visual group here. imageimage
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    Mine is my icon. Please note, this is a 2002-D (very tough date)

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That question is like asking me which of my children is my favorite .........

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That question is like asking me which of my children is my favorite ......... >>

No kidding.... thinking about how to reply to this, I realized that most of my favorite errors are now in other collections. Based on rarity and the fact that I never thought I'd own one, I'd probably pick my clipped Barber Quarter. Ask me tomorrow or next week and I might give a different answer.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That question is like asking me which of my children is my favorite ......... >>

No kidding.... thinking about how to reply to this, I realized that most of my favorite errors are now in other collections. Based on rarity and the fact that I never thought I'd own one, I'd probably pick my clipped Barber Quarter. Ask me tomorrow or next week and I might give a different answer. >>

I agree with both of you as I couldn't decide which I felt was my coolest either image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biggest error?? Not buying a gold $2.5 IHC or Sac/WA mule when they were relatively cheap!

Stewey - isn't yours technically labeled as being on a foreign planchet?

Cardinal - that looks alot like a time warp in a movie! image

This is the only one I own - in the "Top 100" book.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mine is probably my 1974 S Aluminum cent struck as a Lincoln cent proof and sent from the mint in a proof set.

>>

Yeah, and mine is a 1934-S silver dollar overstruck by 1964 proof dies in my 1964 Special Mint Set. That's the ticket. image

I've got a pretty neat 1977 Mexican 20 Centavo mated pair. It's extremely busy and has several other little errors.

It's nothing much but I've also got a 1977 quarter struck on a nickel planchet. There's just something especially at-
    tractive about this specimen.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    I'm presently error free, so to speak.
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken. That's an error isn't it?
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Nothing nearly as cool as Stewart's ...... but here is my best error coin>>
    Your OC Morgan looks way cooler than an Aluminum cent, JMHO.
    Nice piece!

EDIT: I wasn't aware that the S-mint struck these too, always learning.
    Got pics?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    Since we are talking about mint errors is this coin a fake? It looks it to me but I am not an expert

Text

ebay link is case it dont work

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WRONG-PLANCHET-Uncirculated-1980-D-Lincoln-Cent-CHECK-OUT-Free-Shipping-/320853703020?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item4ab45ef96c
  • Options
    Here's an 1844-D half eagle from the North Georgia Collection with the reverse rotated 180 degrees. I also have an 1841-D quarter eagle from Harry Bass, with the reverse rotated 270 degrees CW, but the TrueView doesn't show the rotation. The photography is courtesy of BluCC Photos.

"Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My "coolest error" is getting
    involved in collecting coins !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couple of Railroad Rim Morgans - Partial Collar Strikes. And a nickel 3C in circ. with a 180 degree rotated reverse.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Charmy, I think you win!...AT LEAST for the modern category.

Realone, that is pretty freaking cool!!!

MFH has an AWESOME Barber Half error if I recall. I wish he would post it in here. The thing is BEAUTIFUL!!! I have actually seen it in hand.

Lakesammman, I WANT THAT! Wicked cool. That is a family member's birth year and would love to have that.
  • Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    My Only Two, acquired from a board member.

Lamination Error
    imageimage

Clip
    imageimage
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to own this a long time ago:

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭
    This may or may not be my favorite, but since we are talking about proofs in aluminum.....here's one I have....
    imageimage
  • Options

If were including ..cumulative...these were cool in the day...(over 10,000 of um)....................2007 Washington Smoothies..

imageimage
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Realone, I know you've posted most(if not all) of the errors before, but they are just magnificent!
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I like copper.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1917 lamanation error nickel

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    It's a nearly impossible question. I suppose I'll go with this bowtie indent.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    US Denver Mint Grabener coin press, complete stainless steel feeding finger partially struck by 1992-D White House commemorative silver dollar dies:
    (also the same thing struck by 1992-D Columbus silver dollar dies):

• Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    1917-S "Two Feather" Buffalo with laminations on both sides.

GMan
  • Options

<< <i>This may or may not be my favorite, but since we are talking about proofs in aluminum.....here's one I have....
    imageimage >>

Really cool! Was this actually found in a proof set?
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi guy's.My COOLEST error,in which it's probably not considered an error!A 1999 WIDE A.M.cent.NGC graded RB 64.It was the FIRST ,in any grade,{RECEIVED} by NGC!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

I always liked this one, a lot going on with this coin...

The Snake & Eagle speak with Forked Tongue...

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This may or may not be my favorite, but since we are talking about proofs in aluminum.....here's one I have....
    imageimage >>

Really cool! Was this actually found in a proof set? >>

There was an enormous cache of SMS and Proof errors from 1965-70 found in a safety deposit box in San Francisco some years back. The hoard was of dubious origin but the Secret Service cleared them as legal to own. I can't be 100% sure but I'd wager this coin came from that hoard.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>US Denver Mint Grabener coin press, complete stainless steel feeding finger partially struck by 1992-D White House commemorative silver dollar dies:
    (also the same thing struck by 1992-D Columbus silver dollar dies):

image >>

I think Dan Carr wins the coolest mint error contest.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    I was walking and tripped... knowing I was going to fall face first I pushed off with my feet and went into a forward roll back into the standing position... totally unintentionally... That was probably my coolest error. If I tried it again I would probably break my back...

Ray
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken. That's an error isn't it? >>

• Options
    Mike, glad you posted. That 1898 Quarter is Amazing! Sweet!
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    We were like two ships that passed in the night but what a night

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file