Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #5

Comments

• onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭

Not me. I think the 07P SP70FB is a very special coin. I would love to have won that coin. Unfortunately I don't have a set to put it in.

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@onlyroosies said:
    Not me. I think the 07P SP70FB is a very special coin. I would love to have won that coin. Unfortunately I don't have a set to put it in.

You only need 1 coin to start a set. So what are you doing now that ur not chasing Roosies? Golfing??? Becoming a bum??? B)

Later, Paul.
  • KhaymanKhayman Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

I was fortunate enough to win the 70FB last night - a steep price but that'll be one of the last ones for the Clad set for a while.

Some really nice silvers coming down the pike over the next couple weeks. . .

• MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

@Khayman said:
    I was fortunate enough to win the 70FB last night - a steep price but that'll be one of the last ones for the Clad set for a while.

Congrats!! I wasn’t the direct underbidder, although I didn’t think the price was crazy. Probably about what the consigner had in it.

I’m looking forward to some of the upcoming silvers as well, may the best man win.

@MACGE1 said:

@Khayman said:

Congrats!! I wasn’t the direct underbidder, although I didn’t think the price was crazy. Probably about what the consigner had in it.

I’m looking forward to some of the upcoming silvers as well, may the best man win.

Back in 2007 when that coin was on eBay, it had a B.I.N. for $5,000 O.B.O. Pinevalleycoins or Tazmicenterprises made that coin, can't remember. I thought that was moon money for a common high grade Satin Finish Roosie and actually thought that several would be made in that 70FB grade once the cherry was popped. Several Lincolns, S.H.Q.'s etc. have several dates with the 70 grade in S.F. When it sold for the O.B.O., I actually thought the buyer will be taking a bath once prices drop. Now fast forward to 2018 and it is the lone MS70FB minus the "S" dimes from last yr. The consignor to G.C. must have taken a bath @ $2,300 as I wouldn't imagine that the original maker of that coin would drop his price over 50%. To purchase this coin is to get a 1 of a kind. I know who owned it and was going to contact him to buy it, but the time wasn't right for me.

Later, Paul.
  • MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I know the GC consigner extremely well, and I’m sure he didn’t pay anywhere $5,000 for it. My guess is $2500-$3000.

I value the coin today at $3K+. Back in 07 I would have valued it at about $1000. The odds of another being made today are slim to none. Johns set has many great coins that would be considered crown jewels. The 07P SP70FB is definitely one of them. My favorite in his set is the 15P MS69FB. Probably a toss up between these 2 now.

Personally, I think the 1965, 66, 67 dimes in MS68FB are the crown jewels of the clad series. Very difficult to get this grade for these yrs.

Later, Paul.

@Stooge said:
    Personally, I think the 1965, 66, 67 dimes in MS68FB are the crown jewels of the clad series. Very difficult to get this grade for these yrs.

Yes, John has many tough dates. Let me rephrase, My favorite clad dime that was in my set was the 72P 67+FB, until I added the 15P 69FB. That coin became my favorite hands down. My 3rd fav was the 79P 66FB. The 69P 67FB was probably around 6th or 7th. the 65, 66 and 67 didn't make my top 10. The business strikes of those dates just didn't do it for me.

Just my 10c worth
    Still and always will be
    Onlyroosies

Well if no one is going to say it, I will...
    Some very strong prices on some clad Roosies over on GC's. What do ya'll think???

1975 PCGS MS67FB - $3,500+ w/juice
    1998-D PCGS MS67FB - $928+ w/juice
    1993-D PCGS MS67FB - $768+ w/juice

Some clads did see some softer prices like the 83-D & 68-D.

Later, Paul.

If DL needed it it went strong, If not it went soft.

• QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Maybe that will motivate some dimes to be made. This happened with silvers. Prices up with low pops, prices down as pops up. I expect to see the same with clads.

@QBert said:
    Maybe that will motivate some dimes to be made. This happened with silvers. Prices up with low pops, prices down as pops up. I expect to see the same with clads.

I for one searched Roosies heavily about 10yrs ago. I'm getting back into it full time.

Later, Paul.

@onlyroosies said:

D.L. Hansen?

Later, Paul.
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked this up off eBay a while ago - I thought there was a die clash by Roosevelt's eye, but it doesn't match up with the reverse design. Struck thru maybe? Any ideas.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover

@Stooge said:

@onlyroosies said:

D.L. Hansen?

Yes

Anyone know who won the 1965 68FB from GC tonight?

@onlyroosies said:

@Stooge said:

@onlyroosies said:

D.L. Hansen?

Yes

Anyone know who won the 1965 68FB from GC tonight?

I was just about to ask this question. I would love to know myself.

Later, Paul.

I missed it too because of timing. I would like to locate the coin and see if it is for sale.

@onlyroosies said:
    I missed it too because of timing. I would like to locate the coin and see if it is for sale.

The 1965 MS68FB now resides in the #2 1965 Mint Set under the name Luksic 1965.

Later, Paul.
  • labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

@onlyroosies said:

And so, we thought you were out of the game?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

That would be a nice coin to start a new set with B)B)

Ok, Who made the 2017P MS69FB?

@onlyroosies said:

I just checked pops yesterday. When did this jewel appear?
    It's about time PCGS gave some Roosies the 9FB grade. They give 9's to all the other denominations.

Later, Paul.
    edited April 12, 2018 5:53PM

@Stooge said:

@onlyroosies said:

I just checked pops yesterday. When did this jewel appear?
    It's about time PCGS gave some Roosies the 9FB grade. They give 9's to all the other denominations.

It appeared last night. I agree I'd like to see more 69's. I think far more in quantity of the other denominations
    get sent in over the dimes.

What do you think the 17P 69FB is worth today?.

• TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2018 4:18PM

@onlyroosies said:

I did. I'll have it in hand tomorrow. I don't usually send dimes in, but I had a few that looked great, and this one stood out far and beyond those.

@Tetromibi said:

@onlyroosies said:

I did. I'll have it in hand tomorrow. I don't usually send dimes in, but I had a few that looked great, and this one stood out far and beyond those.

So lets see if I can get this straight. I search dime rolls and mint sets for years and manage to get 1 single MS68FB graded. You don't usually send in dimes to get graded, but had a nice one and got an MS69FB.

That's mean!

BTW, great score! Very happy for you.

Later, Paul.

@Tetromibi said:

@onlyroosies said:

PM me with a price

• CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tetromibi said:

@onlyroosies said:

You do a really good job finding some really high grades. You have the coin listed on eBay right?

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004

@Currin said:
    You do a really good job finding some really high grades. You have the coin listed on eBay right?

It is up on eBay at this point. I spend a stupid amount of time and money searching rolls and sets. I find it relaxing. My wife thinks I’m nuts.

• CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tetromibi said:

@Currin said:

It is up on eBay at this point. I spend a stupid amount of time and money searching rolls and sets. I find it relaxing. My wife thinks I’m nuts.

Your wife should be happy about all the jewelry you can by her... it is not many people that can take 10c turn it into $3k. I have made sereral purchases from you..always satisfied.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
    edited April 13, 2018 6:40PM

@Currin said:

@Tetromibi said:

@Currin said:

Your wife should be happy about all the jewelry you can by her... it is not many people that can take 10c turn it into $3k. I have made sereral purchases from you..always satisfied.

Haha that only works if somebody buys it. A few offers have been made significantly below that number. I think the value lies somewhere in between.

ETA: Also, thanks for the business!

I believe with PCGS loosening up on some of the grades and since 2 different dates post Satin Finish have been made in MS69FB, that more 9FB's will be made. What I find fascinating is that both of the recent 9FB's made are both Philly issues. Many many of the best dimes in recent yrs have come from Denver.

IMHO, your 2017 isn't worth what your asking. That's why you state "A few offers have been made significantly below that number."

Best of luck with the sale.

Later, Paul.

@Stooge said:
    I believe with PCGS loosening up on some of the grades and since 2 different dates post Satin Finish have been made in MS69FB, that more 9FB's will be made. What I find fascinating is that both of the recent 9FB's made are both Philly issues. Many many of the best dimes in recent yrs have come from Denver.

IMHO, your 2017 isn't worth what your asking. That's why you state "A few offers have been made significantly below that number."

Best of luck with the sale.

We don't disagree. Like I said, I think the value is between what I've already been offered and my list price. That's why I have it listed with an "or best offer."

What does the registry group here feel the value is? Like I said, I don't normally submit dimes. The closest thing I have to compare is a pop 1/0 quarter that I sold in the last 12 months for just over $2k. The 69 quarters are much more common than the dimes. But apples and oranges, right?

A 2016-P 68FB Pop 3/0 just sold on ebay for $1105 (no mention of best offer being accepted.) That one is now in DL's set.

You have my value in a PM. Since I placed an offer I will not publicly comment any further on value. I agree with Paul, I believe another will be made. I can wait and save some cash.

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@onlyroosies said:
    You have my value in a PM. Since I placed an offer I will not publicly comment any further on value. I agree with Paul, I believe another will be made. I can wait and save some cash.

I fully agree with you. I think an evaluation of $1,500 might be pushing it. Especially since you (Tetromibi) don't allow returns...

I hear you guys loud and clear. I valued it way too high. I just listed the item at $999.99 as a 7-day auction. I apologize if I offended anybody in the process.

Thank you for the input.

@Tetromibi said:
    I hear you guys loud and clear. I valued it way too high. I just listed the item at $999.99 as a 7-day auction. I apologize if I offended anybody in the process.

Thank you for the input.

It is your coin and you have the right to list it what ever you want. Believe me you didn't offend anyone.
    You admitted you don't grade these often, so no worries at all. I can tell you at that price it will sell.
    Again, great score! I would've fell out of my chair had that grade popped up on my sub.

Later, Paul.
  • newcollectnewcollect Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

IMO I would pull that off the auction now before its too late, that is a one of a kind coin and a collector will buy it eventually for what you want for it. If your dead set and want to auction it call Ian at Great collections not only will he give you an opinion on the value it will be promoted longer than on ebay. He knows the market and is willing to share and first class customer service with his team. Just an opinion I have been wrong before just ask my wife.

@newcollect said:
    IMO I would pull that off the auction now before its too late, that is a one of a kind coin and a collector will buy it eventually for what you want for it. If your dead set and want to auction it call Ian at Great collections not only will he give you an opinion on the value it will be promoted longer than on ebay. He knows the market and is willing to share and first class customer service with his team. Just an opinion I have been wrong before just ask my wife.

It's only a one of a kind coin until another is made. If it's worth more than $1000 it will sell for more.

@onlyroosies said:

@newcollect said:

It's only a one of a kind coin until another is made. If it's worth more than $1000 it will sell for more.

His odds are pretty good considering there have been only 3 other 9'S made in the last 15 years!

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@newcollect said:

@onlyroosies said:

@newcollect said:

His odds are pretty good considering there have been only 3 other 9'S made in the last 15 years!

I sent a submission a couple weeks ago which i’m expecting at least one 69FB on. So, pop will change soon.

@ilikemonsters said:

@newcollect said:

@onlyroosies said:

@newcollect said:

I sent a submission a couple weeks ago which i’m expecting at least one 69FB on. So, pop will change soon.

What yr would this be please?

Later, Paul.
  • mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

@newcollect said:

There will be more graded....

@ilikemonsters said:

Best of luck!

Is it a 2017-P?

@newcollect said:

That can change pretty quickly. from 1999 - 2002 PC graded 10 MS69FB Roosies.

@onlyroosies said:

@newcollect said:

That can change pretty quickly. from 1999 - 2002 PC graded 10 MS69FB Roosies.

There were a lot of 9's and 8's in those years in all the denominations except the Jeffersons. Did the mint make better coins that year, more submissions, fewer coin makers today? Interesting

edited April 16, 2018 9:30AM

1999- 3x 69FB's out of 587 FB's graded
    2000- 0 69's out of 759 FB's graded
    2001- 4x 69FB's out of 590 FB's graded
    2002- 3x 69FB's out of 496 FB's graded
    2003-2014 no 69FB (Non- Satin Finish)
    2015- 1x 69FB out of 390 FB's graded
    2016- 0x 69FB out of 307 FB's graded
    2017- 1x 69FB out of 660FB's graded

It's definitely possible that another one gets made, but I don't think you can call it a certainty. Only time will tell.