Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anybody here remember coin shop bid boards? Anybody here never seen one?

BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dad took me to the local coin shop when I was 8 or 9 years old... I remember these huge wall boards with nails, where coins were stapled to a card and hung, and folks would write what they were willing to pay for the coin. Everyone had their own bidder number, and some (usually cherrypickers) had two or three to try and throw others off of the scent.

I drooled over rarities like 1909 S IHC's bid up to a couple of hundred dollars - gasp, and lots of nice mid-grade Barber material.. The coin shop would be crowded on Friday night at 6, with lots of last minute bids (and even telephone bids written in by a shop employee).

The last bid board I've seen was in the early 2000's at my friend Jack's coin shop in So. Cal. He passed on a couple of years ago... Lots of lessons learned; sometimes losing was like winning...

Anybody have any bid board stories to share?

Comments

• 1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 779 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was in the Army and stationed at Ft.Belvoir in 1975 there was a coin shop near Alexandria, VA. that was owned by a retired military officer. It had a bid board. I bought many coins from that board. A really neat experience.
    You couldn't have a bid board these days. Theft would ruin it. Just the different culture we live in today. Sad

Have a good day, Gary
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I lived in Washington State, there was a coin shop in Renton that had a bid board. That was in the late '90's and early '00's.... I do not know if it is still there... It was quite active at that time. Often there would be a casual congregation of coin collectors even on week days in that shop. I purchased a few coins there.. Cheers, RickO

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

As you have asked in your thread title, I’ve never seen one! ;)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Village Coin here in Austin has one. I've picked up some nice coins from it over the years.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Fostoria OH coin club used to run a bid board at its annual show, with coins submitted from members for auction to the general public and anyone in attendance at the show. Perhaps they still do, but I moved away 17 years ago.
    Grading and descriptions were done by a subcommittee a week prior to the show (that was always fun too, even though I was a 'youngster' at the time, but up on current grading standards).
    It was strongly suggested if you wanted a minimum dollar amount, that you place your own protective bid (there were no fees anyway), but deals still fell through the cracks, as there were generally ~100 or more coins posted, and bidding started a $1.
    I remember a blazing gem '38 D/S buff selling to one of our YNs for $5, and some generic AU Morgans selling for $2 ea, as no one was paying attention to them.
    The 'bigger' coins of course brought better money, as there was spirited bidding right up to the end for those.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

One CT shop has one that runs two weeks; rarely is there anything worth bidding, the consignors would do better on ebay with make offer listings. I "bit" on one Barber half that was misrepresented as a good AU that was polished and retoned.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    As you have asked in your thread title, I’ve never seen one! ;)

Perhaps the coin shops in my area had them at one time, but I personally never saw them.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin shop where I live in Ohio still runs one every two weeks. I occasionally pick up something, but it is usually just a way for the shop owner to move less desirable items.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do recall a coin shop which had that. I never participated in it though.

A coin club where I was a member had what they called a "silent auction" whereby you wrote your bid amount and your name on a lined sheet of paper located right next to the item. You could go back and bid as much as you wanted to. The last name on the sheet when the bidding was closed, having of course the highest bid, won the item.

They always also had a regular "verbal" auction with an auctioneer who was a coin club member. But I liked the silent auction better, as I could take my time with it, inspect the coins as I wished, and then place bids as i wished - lasted around 2 to 3 hours so there wasn't any rush. Used to get some good deals.

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are coin shops in Tucson that still use bid boards. On occasion, I have seen bidders lose all sense of reality, bidding crazy amounts because they want something badly (and it's frequently common) or they dislike another bidder.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jonathan's Coin Shop on Manchester Blvd.
    in Inglewood Calif. had one of the largest Bid
    Boards in the entire country, I believe.

It had hundreds of coins up for bids, it closed on
    Tuesday nights (7:00 or 7:30 pm), and there were
    75++ people there each Tuesday night, sometimes
    literally fighting over the 'last bid' before the bell rang.

I worked there in 1972 for one year - great experience.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2018 9:45AM

I bought my first & only svdb cent from a bid board when I was 16 for ~$130.00. My parents thought I was crazy.

Contest: First person with the correct answer to the following question wins a 90% quarter shipped.

1. What happened to the svdb cent I bought?
    2. First correct answer posted wins.
    3. Contest ends 12:59pm, 4/3/18 PDT.
  • mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I lived in New Orleans in 1965, the coin shop had a large, like long board that had the weekly coin board sales. I got a few things, but the best was 5 Morgans for $2. It was a very crowded part of the board, at the bottom, and it was not readily visible that there were 5 dollar coins in the baggie, and they were all 1921's, and, IIRC the label just said 1921, so it was something that could be gotten at the bank for $1 anyway. I felt like I had won the powerball on that one.

As far as silent auctions go, non coin, a company I worked for, was an internet seller of overages, returns, close outs, etc. We had tons of Dell computers, flat screens, even Breitling watches at times. Stuff that did not sell, items that came back no address, credit card bounces, etc. were put out periodically on silent auction. It was BRUTAL on the really good stuff with 4 - 5 people hovering over an item at the end, trying to be the last person to write their name and amount. It was a significant income supplement for some people. For example, one of the auctions had 2 Breitling watches, and everyone was packed around them, so a lot of other stuff went for virtually nothing. I picked up 15 +/- $200 - $300 fishing reels for $2 each, and off they went to ebay.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KollectorKing said:
    I bought my first & only svdb cent from a bid board when I was 16 for ~$130.00. My parents thought I was crazy.

Contest: First person with the correct answer to the following question wins a 90% quarter shipped.

You listened to your parents and immediately sold it at a profit. That showed them!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tucson has four bid boards that end on Saturday. Collectors make the rounds each week. My bid board is ebay.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

The Niles Coin Shop in Niles, IL. has had a bid board for 28 years. I’ve bought many of my coins and currency there. The board previously closed on Tuesday evening. The shop would be filled with bidders waiting to place last minute bids or just waiting to pick up their winnings. Now it closes on Saturday. I’ve bought many of my Carson City dollars from there. I was underbidder on a raw 1870-CC dollar 20 yrs ago that went for $280.

• DDRDDR Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to participate in a bid board in the late 1990's. Bought a lot of UNC Morgans for $10-11. Later, a number of them slabbed at PCGS at MS-64. (And a couple slabbed at AU DETAILS - Cleaned). But it was a lot of fun. The owner later closed up shop and went 100 percent eBay.

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes and had to change my bidder number 4 time because one of the workers there would tell others to bid on anything I did and they would be happy they did, I did nail some nice coins on there.

Hoard the keys.
  • SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are 2 bid boards in Hawaii, I have materials for sale on one of them. Seller pays 15% commission. Bidder pays none. Just put an 1807 half on it....

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EagleEye said:
    Tucson has four bid boards that end on Saturday. Collectors make the rounds each week. My bid board is ebay.

The guy on Speedway has a nice board. Have never bid though.

@SurfinxHI said:
    There are 2 bid boards in Hawaii, I have materials for sale on one of them. Seller pays 15% commission. Bidder pays none. Just put an 1807 half on it....

Seems reasonable. How high a value coin are you comfortable consigning.

Maybe $200-300. I usually sell raw there, as the slabbed stuff sits. Not that large of a pool of buyers, so higher value stuff I'd rather sell on something like BST, as well as the graded bits. Most stuff is 30-75 dollar range.

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember them well. Early to late 70s for me. I bought lots of stuff but never anything very expensive or rare.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

edited April 3, 2018 2:16PM

Contest:
    First person with the correct answer to the following question wins a 90% quarter shipped.
    1.What happened to the svdb cent I bought?
    2.First correct answer posted wins.
    3.Contest ends 12:59pm, 4/3/18 PDT.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was another bid wall out in the "bergs" that was modeled after the Boston operation. The offerings were not as spectacular, but here were some bargains. I can talk about that too if there is any interest.

Here is the best buy I made on the bid wall that was actually located in the town of Foxboro, Massachusetts. Yes, there is something out there other than the New England Patriots home field. I bought this 1852 No Motto $5 gold piece. It's now in an NGC MS-61 holder. It was worth a $150 or so more than I paid for it at the time something more than 20 years ago.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • LRCTomLRCTom Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

In the 1980s in Southern California, there were a bunch. Almost every night one would close. I lived in Pasadena and was a regular at Universal Coin Galleries, now long gone. There was also one in Glendale, another in Covina, and a few down towards Orange County. A few vest-pocket dealers would do the circuit, buying on one board and selling on another. It was a fun scene.

LRC Numismatics eBay listings:
    http://stores.ebay.com/lrcnumismatics

• bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as I know there are still a couple in SoCal. Citi Coin in Van Nuys used to have a really good one until he closed his B&M a few years ago.

edited April 3, 2018 2:38PM

@LRCTom said:
    In the 1980s in Southern California, there were a bunch. Almost every night one would close. I lived in Pasadena and was a regular at Universal Coin Galleries, now long gone. There was also one in Glendale, another in Covina, and a few down towards Orange County. A few vest-pocket dealers would do the circuit, buying on one board and selling on another. It was a fun scene.

another one in San Gabriel off SG Blvd, relocated, and the owner has since passed away.

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

A vest pocket dealer was mentioned - he was one of the guys putting up "California Specials" (artificially frosted Morgans) on my hometown shops' bidboard. Jack finally banished him... Heh... Full circle. It was a fun time, pre- and peri-Internet. Thanks for all of the stories!

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stories all. They used to have the same thing with sportscards. Those I participate in

@BillJones thanks for sharing!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@KollectorKing said:

Contest:
    First person with the correct answer to the following question wins a 90% quarter shipped.

It got put in a roll of cents and taken to bank.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have heard of them but never actually saw one.

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too go to the Niles Coin Shop bid board on the Saturdays that it closes.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KollectorKing said:

Contest:

Spent by your brother when you went to Vietnam.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:
    Village Coin here in Austin has one. I've picked up some nice coins from it over the years.

I was going to mention Village Coin. I left Austin for greener pastures but it was still active when I was there 2016 (and when Brian decided to open up the shop, lol)

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

@KollectorKing said:

The "S" fell off :(

GrandAm :)
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

@AUandAG said:

@KollectorKing said:

The "S" fell off :(

OH CRAP.....that did not work out too good!

bob ;)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a teenager busting into the coin biz I used to help a local dealer run his bid board, and eventually it ended up being my gig. I learned a lot about people and organizational skills, because most of the buyers wanted their stuff right then and there, and even though we stated that consignors would be paid later, there were those who wanted their $$$ immediately to pay for stuff they had bought that otherwise they couldn't pay for. (Some things never change.)
    It was a great way to learn stuff, and as another poster mentioned, people would actually fight and push and shove to get their final bids in after the bell rang.
    "Old school" sniping, I guess you'd call it.
    I had to get several different bidder numbers, as I was already known as a "variety guy" and possible wise-guy cherrypicker, and there were those who noticed my bid number and would bid on things that I bid on because they thought they must have missed something.
    (Although I admit I did use this tactic in reverse for nefarious reasons to dump my own less than desirable material >:)>:) )

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still participate weekly in a couple of local bid boards !!! :)

Timbuk3

@KollectorKing said:

Contest:

Sent to DCarr and it came back a 14-D

• SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Type2 said:
    Yes and had to change my bidder number 4 time because one of the workers there would tell others to bid on anything I did and they would be happy they did, I did nail some nice coins on there.

3278 was mine, tried to outbid you and Chuck.

• RoscoRosco Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭

Alive and well in Tulsa, 3 local shops run bi - weekly boards, closing at 2 pm on Saturday, I have seen it get
    pretty serious in the last hour.

I believe the shops alternate Saturdays so they don't overlap each others boards.

Pictures from "Tulsa Gold and Silver" website...

R.I.P Son 1986>2020

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SoCalBigMark said:

@Type2 said:

3278 was mine, tried to outbid you and Chuck.

He started a small one in one of the cases and I bet it will get bigger over time with only about 50 items but you can use your same number or numbers.

Hoard the keys.
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin shop near me, back in the 90's, Saturday noon was end of bidding and place was packed.
    Fun times.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • MASSU2MASSU2 Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭

@KollectorKing said:

Contest:

It ended up in a Whitman folder???

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 Forum members have never seen one out of 46 respondents. Interesting.

I don't think I've even walked into a B&M shop for 8-10 years. Wow, times do change... But it's great to hear (and see) that this old mainstay of coin collecting is alive and well.

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the B&Ms within 50 miles (maybe 70) are gone. The last bid board was in one that closed maybe 25 years ago...and that one was still STAMP and coin.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a small store in southern CT that had one, I both bought and sold on it in the late '80s / early '90s. I remember buying a nice circulated 1895-O Barber dime with almost full rims for $50, I then tried to build a date set with matching patina around it. I also sold a bunch of 1995 DDO cents there, which I had pulled out of bank rolls.

While there is still a coin store on that site, the bid board went away in the late 1990s. I found out recently that the former owner passed away about two years ago.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BlindedByEgo said:
    3 Forum members have never seen one out of 46 respondents. Interesting.

I don't think I've even walked into a B&M shop for 8-10 years. Wow, times do change... But it's great to hear (and see) that this old mainstay of coin collecting is alive and well.

Jack's Shop would not have been in Simi Valley would it ?

Steve

Promote the Hobby

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file