Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anybody here remember coin shop bid boards? Anybody here never seen one?

2»

Comments

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldEastside said:

@BlindedByEgo said:
    3 Forum members have never seen one out of 46 respondents. Interesting.

I don't think I've even walked into a B&M shop for 8-10 years. Wow, times do change... But it's great to hear (and see) that this old mainstay of coin collecting is alive and well.

Jack's Shop would not have been in Simi Valley would it ?

Steve

Ummm, yeah.

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BlindedByEgo said:

@OldEastside said:

@BlindedByEgo said:

I don't think I've even walked into a B&M shop for 8-10 years. Wow, times do change... But it's great to hear (and see) that this old mainstay of coin collecting is alive and well.

Steve

Ummm, yeah.

Sorry to hear he passed, I was thinking of him the other day as I passed by his old shop, I used to love going in there and really miss the place

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember one at a coin shop that was at Basset Mall in El Paso back in the 80's. Guy who ran it was Jim Thomas.

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldEastside said:

@BlindedByEgo said:

@OldEastside said:

@BlindedByEgo said:

Steve

Ummm, yeah.

Sorry to hear he passed, I was thinking of him the other day as I passed by his old shop, I used to love going in there and really miss the place

Steve

I miss him - he was a good friend and a funny guy. I still keep in touch with Mindy.

• KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KollectorKing said:
    I bought my first & only svdb cent from a bid board when I was 16 for ~$130.00. My parents thought I was crazy.

Contest: First person with the correct answer to the following question wins a 90% quarter shipped.

1. What happened to the svdb cent I bought?
    2. First correct answer posted wins.
    3. Contest ends 12:59pm, 4/3/18 PDT.

thanks for guessing; some great guesses guys.

the key was "first & only svdb." it was stolen when someone, probably a neighbor broke into my house & stole it & my coin collection & other property. I have not owned an svdb since because of that jinx.

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, yeah...what fun they were!

• RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old World Coin store in McHenry, Illinois has a huge bid board. One of my local stores used to have them. I still have an 1885O Morgan and an 1904O Morgan which graded PCGS MS65....I got it for under $20 back in the 70's.
    Pete

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never seen one.. but the coin shop in my town is terrible, and I refuse to even go there anymore.

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although I have not been in . . . . in over a year, Ace Coins here in SLC has had a nice bid board for many, many years. They supplement it with shop material, but all are welcome to post, as long as you have a bid number. They take 10% . . . and although there are few higher end coins, one can find some decent mid-grade material and Whitman 'hole-filler' stuff. regulars post a few items as well . . . once in a while a semi-key shows up.

But as I have said . . .I haven't been in . . . in over a year. Hope it is still there . . . . .

Drunner

• RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Drunner, they are still there and going strong, but have dropped the bid board. They have a lot of high end stuff and will be at the Milan, Illinois show this Sunday April 8th, hosted by the Quad City Coin Club.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of the 2 local shops there was one with a board. This was many,many years ago. Both shops are gone now. Many sports card shops dabble in coins too.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file