Home U.S. Coin Forum

You can't please everyone.

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dunno if I posted this before, but the circ wheatie/buff thread brought it to mind and if you read it before, well... sorry bout that...
but...
I had a customer who wanted a full bag of Indian Head Cents. 5000 coins.
This was in Autex teletype days and I did find a bag available.
The customer wanted VG or better and the place who responded to me said they SHOULD be VG or better, but....just to make sure..... he included an EXTRA 150 coins in the deal.

Got the bag.

Called customer.

Customer took coins home and called back about 3 days later ....IRATE that .....53 coins.... did not measure up to his wants.
I reminded him that he did not PAY for 5150 coins but only 5000 so he could THROW AWAY the 53 coins and still be ...ahead... of what he wanted.

He cussed me out and never came back. :|<3<3

Comments

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even when you are wrong, if you start out convinced the other person is wrong, you will stay mad and not own up to your own faults. Sad human nature.

Sic Wonder Woman on him to correct his error in judgement.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't worry about it.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

How true. I run into this quite a bit while dealing with "ex-perts."

@mustangmanbob said: "Even when you are wrong, if you start out convinced the other person is wrong, you will stay mad and not own up to your own faults. Sad human nature."

I'll bet he tries to get another good deal like this from topstuf in the future.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    I'll bet he tries to get another good deal like this from topstuf in the future.

Doubt it. He was old and this happened in the crazy days of 1980 frenzy. :o

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had an eBay customer buy an unremarkable Abe Lincoln book for the $1.00 minimum bid. He posted positive feedback, but mainly crowed about what a rip he made. Emailed me later that the book was an unreturned library book from the 1940's, super upset. I had bought this many years earlier at an antique store, never noticed. I offered to return his money and the cost of postage if he returned this purloined masterwork. He refused of course, but not without an absurd rant. Lots of crazies out there.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

You just gotta love dealing with the public. :#

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2018 11:27AM

You can buy 'em books...you can send 'em to school...they will eat the paste.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • Had someone snipe an auction of mine, not pay for 3 days then started sending me daily book-length emails in broken Engrish asking why I would try and get them to pay for it because it was in such bad condition it wasn’t worth a dollar to them. I told them to just request a cancellation and I would approve it. They never did but the emails kept coming. The last one I got was about 3 days after I resolved the non-paying bidder case to which I asked them kindly to never contact me again. So far, so good.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@saltlydog4 said:
    theres something wrong with him if he is buying 5000 wheat pennies at vg quality anyway. lolz

nope.
    Indian head cents

Frank

BHNC #203

@BillJones said:
    Some people are not happy in life unless they can complain about something. Just look at the news. Being hypersensitive and expressing one’s moral indignation about some issue, no matter how trivial, is very stylish these days.

I put them in the same category as the >:) around here that "disagree" w/o leaving a reason or the "unfortunates" who stalk every post another member writes to leave a "disagree." AFAIK, there is only one member doing this right now.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

the best part i guess is that you wont ever see them again

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some customers you are better off without. I learned that as a dealer. Some people are not worth the hassle.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

What surprised me the most was that he was regular customer for quite a while drving over 60 miles to get to my shop.

We got along well until that.
    Ah well.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@topstuf said:
    What surprised me the most was that he was regular customer for quite a while drving over 60 miles to get to my shop.

Ah well.

Either I am missing something, or more likely that customer was missing something upstairs....

He paid for 5000 Indians, he received 5150, he was not happy with 53, which means he was happy with 5097, of which 97 were free. :s

Go figure! :/

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of an eBay transaction from about 5 years ago:

I sold an ANACS MS63 Barber Dime on eBay. When the buyer received the coin, she emailed me, scolding me, telling me that the coin COULD NOT HAVE been mint state, because it had toning along the rims.

Huh?? BTW, my images clearly showed this toning, which was quite nice IMO. I told her to return the coin, and I'd even pay her return postage (I sort of wanted it back anyway, as she got a real deal on it). She replied 'No, I'll keep it, but trust me, I won't be buying from you again!'

A couple days later, I provided positive eBay feedback, saying something like 'An A1+ transaction - Thank you very much Gail for your purchase'.

30 minutes later I get scolded in another email saying 'Why did you use my real name in the feedback! You've violated my security!'

The End

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Topstuf I deal with customers everyday. Some are very grateful, some are never happy. Don't let it get to you, that's just the way business is. Out of curiosity, how much does a bag of 5000 Indians cost?

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

Ah well.

Had you had kept hold of the 150 freebies and when he complained about the 53 substandard ones you offered to trade him out to make it right, you would have probably been the hero... plus had 150 freebies for your inventory.

Some people!

@Onastone said:
    Topstuf I deal with customers everyday. Some are very grateful, some are never happy. Don't let it get to you, that's just the way business is. Out of curiosity, how much does a bag of 5000 Indians cost?

I am bereft and inconsolable and glad he was pissed. :D

• MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2018 5:17PM

I sent back 3 coins that were culls out of an average circulated dime roll. One had two holes, one was covered in hard glue and one was polished like grandmothers china. :o

Derek

EAC 6024
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get this every so often when they feel like I've insulted them with a simple answer. Some apologize, some.....I never hear from again. Telling someone they have a proof coin when they think they have a business strike with 6 steps.....doesn't usually go over too well. :D

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

And in VG and no better. I can't imaging paying less than 65 cents a coin. But the bag must look like what a searched roll looks like.......all common dates......but 5000 common dates? This sounds too depressing to me.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got well over 100 Ebay buyers on my Ebay blocked bidders list. Stories such as the OP's story is the reason why.

I sure wish that Amazon had a feature to block designated buyers, but they don't.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

At .65 cents a coin, 150 free coins is like a 100.00 bonus. What a crappy customer to complain. Geeeeeesh.

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭

Stooge's way is the best way to handle mild disappointments. But great story, topstuf -- I wonder what pill the buyer forgot to take that day. I actually think a 5,000 count bag of non-cull Indians would be awesome to own! Sure, 97% would be 1904, but who knows what s-mints, or slightly better dates, might have snuck in!

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forget it. Next time tell the customer you are sending 5,000 VG or better and a few free "unknown grades" unfortunately the customer you sold to must have billed the Client for all the coins at VG and when he was busted as not the original source, he decided to make you the patsy. He should of checked them or not acted like the "dealer" he was pretending to be.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people aren't happy until they get free Vaseline.

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I went to a garden party".... :p

• Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

You got to please yourself

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Topstuf’s topstuf just wasn’t topstuf!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sell quite a few date/MM runs of modern stuff; and I will throw in an extra "bonus" coin (advertised as a freebie) in some of the sets.
    One customer complained that the bonus coin was a date he already had, and could he have another date?
    P.S. -It is Lincoln Cents we're talking about here....and he requested a 1924-D......LOL

@topstuf said:

@Onastone said:

I am bereft and inconsolable and glad he was pissed. :D

This could make topstuf's top10 reasons "Why coin dealers drink" . To say I can relate is an understatement. But, graciousness is the ability to smile in the face of adversity. Like while you're getting bent over.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dealer friend of mine was selling wheat cent bags on eBay about 15 years ago. He would buy them wholesale from other dealers. HE never searched them, but as dealers like to say "there are no unsearched bags". Anyway, just to try and keep his customers happy, he would always seed the bag with a couple finds. You know, a few steel cents, a low grade or damaged S-mint coin from the teens...

One day, a customer contacted him irate. He had found a few steel cents and a 10-S or 11-S coin and said it was IMPOSSIBLE that they would be in an authentic unsearched bag. My friend told him that he always threw some better stuff in there, but the customer was irate and stayed irate somehow believing that "seeding the bag" could only follow "searching the bag".

@Kkathyl said:
    Forget it. Next time tell the customer you are sending 5,000 VG or better and a few free "unknown grades" unfortunately the customer you sold to must have billed the Client for all the coins at VG and when he was busted as not the original source, he decided to make you the patsy. He should of checked them or not acted like the "dealer" he was pretending to be.

From the looks of it, there won't be a "next time".

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@Kkathyl said:

From the looks of it, there won't be a "next time".

I'm sure he's dead by now. He was an old geezer at the time. This is from the 79-80 TIDAL WAVE of customers.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

so the guy has been dead for decades and you are still whining about it? :D:D

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's a lot spent on alcohol...

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    Some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope...

My grandfather used to say about people like this : "You could give them the goose that lays golden eggs and they would complain that it poops on the carpet."

• Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

@jayPem said:
    Go to a coin show. Look over the entire room. Let's be honest, do you see even one person in the crowd who doesn't appear likely to be a weird PITA?
    Didn't think so :)

On BOTH sides of the table.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file