Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How About Some Strong Advisement

JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 20, 2018 4:42PM in U.S. Coin Forum

For when purchasing a rare PCGS graded coin in let's say the 48k range on eBay?
For instance:
Things to know before closing the deal.
What is the best way to pay for the coin... to ensure the capital and buyer are safe guarded?... And
What is the best way to have the coin shipped to ensure it's received safely?

Thank you
Jim

Comments

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Registered mail on last question.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say COD with usps. But I am not sure if ebay has that option anymore.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

If not all the way across the country, just pick it up. If it MUST be shipped registered mail is the safest. For payment, that's a tough one. I would do everything I could to pick it up in person and look at these piece in my hand before paying. Is this seller reputable ?

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    For when purchasing a rare PCGS graded coin in let's say the 48k range on eBay?
    For instance:
    Things to know before closing the deal.
    What is the best way to pay for the coin... to ensure the capital and buyer are safe guarded?... And
    What is the best way to have the coin shipped to ensure it's received safely?

Thank you
    Jim

For that kind of $$, unless it's from a well known & respected dealer ala JJT, David Lawrence, Laura, etc., I'd pick it up in person.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who is the seller? Have you seen the coin in hand or has someone you trust?
    Lance.

• Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Don't, and learn how to spell.

• Options
    edited February 20, 2018 3:56PM

@PQueue said:

So you're advising the op to take your advice :o

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I've never gotten into that neighborhood of purchase. (I've never been in the same city as that neighborhood!) ;)

But for a coin of that price, I'd personally need to know WHO the seller is. If I can't prove it's a well known, and well respected dealer...I'd pass.

And chances are that if it is such a dealer, they have an off-eBay presence? You would probably be handsomely rewarded to contact them directly, and avoid some of the fees and "degrees of separation" between the two of you. Get your questions answered....find out how they do such deals....assurances about return policy...etc.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2018 6:05AM

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would find a close trusted dealer that could check it and make the deal face-to-face, short that I would check out using an escrow service. Make sure it's an official one, because there are even fakes of those.

Leon

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

The seller is David Lawrence Rare Coins. I am going to give him a call and see what my options are, and most probably fly out there. You all have been a tremendous help.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

What TommyType said.
    Looks like you are going that route now...that's, imho, the right thing to do.
    Make sure they cut you a better deal as they won't have to pay fees.

Also, David Lawrence Rare Coins is a company, and not a person. Kind of funny that way, but don't ask for "David Lawrence" as you won't get him.....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

@Bochiman said:
    Also, David Lawrence Rare Coins is a company, and not a person. Kind of funny that way, but don't ask for "David Lawrence" as you won't get him.....

Thank you for that piece of information, you may have just kept me from making a fool of myself.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

skip the eBay part - if they have a $50 K coin, they have a website

• Options

After discussing making an investment in a rare coin with my wife, it looks like it's not going to happen. I'm sorry for wasting your time.

Jim

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps an investment in a new wife? :o

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

Sounds like your wife knows the coin market.
    Lance.

• Options

@Jimnight said:
    After discussing making an investment in a rare coin with my wife, it looks like it's not going to happen. I'm sorry for wasting your time.

Jim

Hilarious. Rookie move, brother. Everyone knows you either gotta hide this stuff from your wife or go the kitchen-remodel-swap route. We can help you come up with a better plan next time.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep my purchases hidden, wife doesn't care what I buy for the business, because she knows I purchase it for profit, but she doesn't know about the keepers

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a waste in time.
    Get your feet wet. Good and wet. BEFORE you go "investing" in coins.
    Use only "disposable" income. Seriously.
    Plan on losing 50-100% of your "investment". That way, if you don't, you will be very happy.

No offense, but going by your questions, you are somewhat knew to numismatic "investment", if not numismatics themselves (particularly at a level of more than pocket change or a few hundred dollars). Don't put the kind of money at risk that you are talking about unless you can easily handle losing it all.

If you CAN handle that loss (I don't think your wife would have stopped you if that were the case), and you still don't have the background, get a trusted advisor, who you can pay a nominal fee, to help you make decisions on what YOU like and YOU can afford.

I, personally, think your wife did the right thing at this point, as did you by discussing it with her and listening. For most of us, things at a level higher than $xxx amount, SHOULD be discussed by all parties in the relationship. My wife and I have a $500 limit set. Unlimited on our own "fun" money (we give ourselves a monthly allowance and it can build up if unused...particularly over the years), but mutual funds are very limited.

Read the forums, watch what others buy (maybe see how much), see the value and the prices that things are sold for. Unless you are cherrypicking, anything you purchase will need to be held for a period of time in order to make any profit (buying from any actual auction house will add a HUGE cost to your purchase in the buyer's fee. Selling will hit your bottom line as a seller's fee...no matter auction house or ebay. Selling to a local dealer and they will shortchange you most assuredly. Selling here, on the buy/sell/trade forum, will be slow and may or may not help on the bottom line (less eyeballs, sometimes more discerning eyes and wallets, but no fees)

Good luck

@Jimnight said:

Jim

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2018 5:44PM

:*

• Options
    JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭

Feel free to give me a call directly or shoot me an email and I'd be happy to discuss the coin, logistics, and whether or not it fits well for you. We'll work out the best price for you as well if it fits what you're looking to do...who knows, if we have someone in your area, we might save you a trip...
    Thanks!
    John Brush
    800-776-0560
    email: john.brush@davidlawrence.com

John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

At that price level, the coin should be seen in hand or by a trusted expert. Such a purchase should be carefully researched and not specifically made for 'investment'... Most coins do not qualify as 'investments'. With the help of your wife, I believe you arrived at the right decision. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nobody has mentioned proposing selling the house to buy a coin as an effective way to convince the wife that $48,000 isn't all that much to be considering. ;):D

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@Jimnight said:

Jim

Two red flags... “Investment” and “Wife”

Actually 3 red flags, + bad speller/grammar :o

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2018 9:57AM

@KollectorKing said:

@Boosibri said:

@Jimnight said:

Jim

It’s actually grammatically incorrect to use “bad” in this way. One may have poor grammar not bad grammar.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since you have one of those rare opportunities to speak directly and off the record to an ebay seller, make a lower offer when you talk to them. I find DL's coins overpriced, probably because of ebay and PP fees. Good chance they'll negotiate a lower cash price.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:

Jim

Get her a new kitchen and get back to us, bro.

• Options
    edited February 21, 2018 1:19PM

@Onastone said:

@PQueue said:

Ensure is a nutritional drink. Just sayin'.

I am not talking about a nutritional drink.

Definition of ensure
    ensured; ensuring
    transitive verb
    to make sure, certain, or safe : guarantee
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2018 1:27PM

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to say call John Brush, then he chimed in...call him anyway and you'll be better prepped for the next time.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

@PQueue said:

• Options

@KollectorKing said:

@Boosibri said:

@Jimnight said:

Jim

• Options

Examples of Bad Grammar - YourDictionary

examples.yourdictionary.com/bad-grammar-examples.html

Many examples of bad grammar exist. From bad subject/verb agreement to double negatives, good and bad grammar examples can be seen everywhere; but, there are ...

Bad Grammar Examples - Inklyo.com

https://www.inklyo.com/bad-grammar-examples

Learning from the mistakes of others can help you avoid making mistakes yourself. Here, GrammarCamp provides bad grammar examples we can all learn from.

@Boosibri said:

@KollectorKing said:

@Boosibri said:

@Jimnight said:

Jim

It’s actually grammatically incorrect to use “bad” in this way. One may have poor grammar not bad grammar.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    The seller is David Lawrence Rare Coins. I am going to give him a call and see what my options are, and most probably fly out there. You all have been a tremendous help.

This would be my advice.

Before you said who the seller was, my first bit of advice would be to know who the seller is.

If it's "Joe Blow," pass. I don’t care what the coin is. If you don't know who is selling the piece, it's not worth the risk unless you are a billionaire who doesn't care.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be grammatically incorrect for me to reply here.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

@Jimnight said:
    @Bochiman said:

Thank you for that piece of information, you may have just kept me from making a fool of myself.

Good point, Bochiman!

Actually David Lawrence Feigenbaum is, or was, a person. He suffered from ALS and died in 2002. His son John took over the business and ran DLRC until 2015.

I've found them to be extremely helpful, friendly and honest.

Some years back I bought an NGC 1804 large cent for my Dansco. After cracking it I learned it was counterfeit. DLRC immediately refunded my money even though the coin was then raw, not knowing if NGC would make them whole. And to NGC's credit they quickly jumped in with a warranty guarantee payment to DLRC.

It could have been ugly but all parties acted very professionally.
    Lance.

• Options

I think I'll just get a corvette and play it safe.

• Options

@KollectorKing

Examples of Bad Grammar - YourDictionary

examples.yourdictionary.com/bad-grammar-examples.html

Many examples of bad grammar exist. From bad subject/verb agreement to double negatives, good and bad grammar examples can be seen everywhere; but, there are ...

Bad Grammar Examples - Inklyo.com

https://www.inklyo.com/bad-grammar-examples

Learning from the mistakes of others can help you avoid making mistakes yourself. Here, GrammarCamp provides bad grammar examples we can all learn from.

@Boosibri said:

» show previous quotes

This thread is not about my grammar but for some reason you just feel the need to persist.
    So please just .......STOP IT.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file