Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1909-O $5 Indian crossover to PCGS or not?

$5 Indian experts needed:

Anyone wants to venture on its possible crossover PCGS grade?

(existing grade to follow)

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2018 7:59PM

Without the existing grade, advice is impossible. It looks like a nice AU.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks pretty damn nice to me

I have owned 2, a pcgs 50 (which was medicore) and a nice 55 that I sold too cheap a few years back. This coin is better than both of those.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2018 8:42PM

Looks terrific and perhaps the image looks a little different on my monitor. The reverse looks MS and the obverse looks to have cabinet friction on the cheek. It may have graded 62. I am not sure whether I would cross it. This is the type of coin that would likely benefit more from a CAC review. Good luck with your decision

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strong 58? I see no reason not to cross and sticker if the grade fits. Really nice coin

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you plan to sell soon and know the coin will bring more in PCGS plastic ... why spend the money? It is already authenticated and that is important with this type coin.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks definitely mint state; 62, possibly 63.

• Options

@mannie gray said:

That is a lofty and rare grade for that issue

• Options
    edited January 19, 2018 11:46PM

@Crypto said:

@mannie gray said:

That is a lofty and rare grade for that issue

I agree; but that is what my eyes are seeing.
    I could be and most likely am wrong.

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice, strong AU example of the coolest date/mm in the series.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU53 maybe 55

PS: I'm not a $5 indian expert as you requested.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pictures look a bit hazy.... so not sure how much is the coin and how much is the picture... without the grade, it is difficult to give an answer as to whether it will cross at grade....it may slab, but maybe not at grade...looks AU something in those pictures.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

Thank you all.
    It is being offered to me as NGC 61.

Im looking at past HA auctions for comparison to other PCGS 61's. THEIR 61'S is a tad nicer but what do I know. This serie is hard to grade.

More opinions are appreciated .

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can’t buy it at 55/58 money, you should walk away. Common Dealer practice to use NGC’s grading when it suits them.

• Options
    edited January 20, 2018 12:14PM

@Sweetpie said:
    Thank you all.

Im looking at past HA auctions for comparison to other PCGS 61's. THEIR 61'S is a tad nicer but what do I know. This serie is hard to grade.

These are hard to grade as the fields wear down to almost au50 before detail is lost. One must over weight frost breaks and mint surface loss on the fields. The Indian’s cheek and headdress beads look rubbed as does the fields around the eagle. That said this is the type of gold people used to dip away the wear and this coin appear to have a rich gold color so that is worth a premium.

I agree with NGC that it is a slider but think it should land on the 58 side of the fence. I suspect this is the classic AU63 people complain about ending up in low end UNC holders.

When looking a price comps check out what pcgs 58 CACs and see what they bring. If you can get this for around that price it should be a solid retail deal on a rare and desirable coin.

With a coin that choice you shouldn’t exspect the dealer to leave you room on it but one doesn’t want to be buried the next grade up either. Especially on a coin this rare with spreads in the 10s of thousands.

One last tid-bit, don’t pay a penny until taking a glass to the area in front of his mouth. It is the type of thing that could be grade and CAC limiting. even if only a natural plachet issue it still hurts majorly. If damage, it is a deal breaker. If It is just smeg with the picture playing tricks to the eyes it might not be so bad.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I owned that coin I could care the less about the plastic. I just want the coin.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

@SaorAlba said:
    If I owned that coin I could care the less about the plastic. I just want the coin.

While I agree completely the plastic does play a large role it what it will take to get said coin.

• Options

Had an AU set of these, except the big two, sold the 08-s on the bay not too long ago, and a beautiful rose colored 11-d, that I sold to tom reynolds at long beach a few years ago. Funny, I went to tom to sell my half cents, he ended up buying almost everything I had. I have to say, he was the best "dealer" I have ever done business with, as I often sell, or don't, based on their demeanor. He got the greatest kick out of buying my raw circ merc dime set, like he was still a kid. By the way, nice coin with a damn bullseye for an O, well done!!!

• Options

@Sweetpie said:
    Thank you all.

I think it's solid for the grade.
    I like it, but it's not my money at stake either.
    If the coin were a 1909-D it would be in at least a 62 holder.
    Just my opinion.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stand by my previous comments... Looks to be MS and NGC opined it was a 61. And this coin exemplifies how CAC can help.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    I stand by my previous comments... Looks to be MS and NGC opined it was a 61. And this coin exemplifies how CAC can help.

One has to assume that a coin at this level has been tried..... even if it hasn’t

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file