Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sometimes the best deals are the ones which never get done

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any stories of deals which didn't happen which turned out to be clearly the best result?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My deals that did not happen were all great news for me..... Had money for something else.... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

You mean holding a coin until a check clears and then it doesn't?
    Coin-wise, less often than I feel entitled to :'(:*

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my experience, the best deals are the ones that get done.

If it's not a good deal for you, then why are you even considering it?

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Being successful in business means taking risk. Sometimes you don't know what is a good deal or a bad deal until after the fact. Also consider the dimension of time. The same deal one day is a very different deal 365 days later.

Deep thoughts, indeed!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2017 10:09AM

@Boosibri said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Being successful in business means taking risk. Sometimes you don't know what is a good deal or a bad deal until after the fact. Also consider the dimension of time. The same deal one day is a very different deal 365 days later.

I thrive on risk !!!!!!

If your in business, you should know before hand if it is a good deal or not.

Of course time can make a difference. Hindsight is awesome.

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2017 1:42PM

I posted this coin on BST years ago:

No interest.

Later, a CU member PM'd me he had a barberite friend that is interested in the coin.
    After some back & forth negotiation, we agreed on a price.
    I didn't feel comfortable sending him the coin first & he didn't want to send $$ first.
    We decided it's best to get a dealer involved (jjt of course). I sent the coin to jjt & they sent me a check.

I'm sure jjt remembered the coin because I left their hand written sticker intact on the back of the holder.

The end.

Thanks for reading.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bid extremely high on one lot of tokens at Stacks a year or two ago. I only wanted 1 or 2 tokens out of the group, but I thought it might be worth bidding strong to be able to resell the rest and recoup my investment.
    It was already super high before live bidding even started. I mean really, really up there! Auction fever had me delirious and contemplating hitting the bid button one last time. But, for once in my life reason prevailed, and I let it go. That, as it turned out, was far better than getting the deal done.
    I purchased higher grade examples of those two tokens I sought a few weeks later.
    And someone got absolutely buried in this lot at about 3x retail.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few years back I won a couple of commemorative coins in a Heritage auction. After paying and waiting 3 weeks for notification of delivery, I called. The coins had been lost. How? I was never told. Heritage, of course, refunded my money. And I bought similar coins more recently for lower prices. If there was a thief involved with "losing" the earlier two coins, I owe him or her a vote of thanks.

Mark

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome story

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story Andy...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Ttt

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2017 2:12PM

Back when I first joined Heritage in 2005; I tried to buy this coin for $1650 via 'make an offer' after it failed to sell. I was rejected. It then went to auction again and I bid $2425 and was outbid by $11.50. That was a record price back then. Very glad as I put most of that money into my PCGS, all original, CAC stickered, MS 64 that I like MUCH better.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a coin for 3k in ngc holder. I sent it to pcgs to cross but failed to cross. One month later I sold it for 8k. Met with price target. Lol

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

My story doesn't compare to previous posts from a $$$ standpoint, but I will forever consider myself lucky that this deal didn't happen.

Back in the late '90's, early 00's (I forget specific dates easily(, I had the opportunity to buy the one and only (still one and only) 1959 PCGS 69 Dcam Franklin. Those that collect these pieces recognize that ANY 1959 Dcam Franklin is a tough coin to find - much less in 69.

The dealer was a local Detroit dealer and not one of those guys who deals in great rarities on a regular basis. I was shown the coin at a little show in the southern Detroit suburbs and given an ask price of $9k which was not unreasonable for the time (today Coin Facts has $35k on this piece).

I looked it over carefully and decided that it just didn't look right. The normal "white" frost that should be on the coin was more like a pale grey and the "texture" of the frost wasn't right either. No question it was high grade - 68 or 69, but that frost bugged me. I'd never seen ANY Franklin with that grey frost so I declined. I decided in my mind that the coin was doctored - even though it was encased in PCGS plastic. (No CAC at that time).

Somebody bought that coin and is probably happy with it. I don't know where it landed. Of course PCGS will back the grade if determined it is altered but I didn't need all that drama.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I couldn’t agree more with the OP.

I was once bidding on several coins in an auction for a client who asked me to get them for him. I bid feverishly and lost on all. After the auction when I reported this to him, he told me that he had given me the incorrect lot numbers! The Coins he had actually wanted were cheap trinkets compared to the 5 figure rarities I was bidding on. Some poor guy is buried in a bunch of Coins at 2x retail.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Pretty sure I'm going to win this thread.

Great story, Andy.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the piece I now have in my collection, but years ago I got caught up in some "auction fever" with an example of this 1864 Lincoln medalet. The winner out bid me at $2,800 which was way too high. Four years later I purchased this for quite a bit less. It is a rare piece, with perhaps no more than 15 or so known, but it is a token and not a coin. Therefore it sells for a lower price despite the rarity.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

There have been many a time when a deal was failed to be reached, when a better coin down the street appears. Although, there are a couple I am still having third thoughts about...maybe after the holidays I will re-evaluate my situation.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file