Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Breaking: Trammell and Morris in HOF

Good day for tigers fans.

On mlb.com can't link on mobile

Comments

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to see they finally made it. Being a big Tigers fan this is long overdue.

• Options

Great news! Tram is quite deserving and all around great guy. Great teacher of the game as all.

Seller ALFLAIR on eBay. for many vintage PSA and raw card sales. PSA Set Registry OldEnglishD with various sets including 71 Fleer Globetrotters, 71 Topps Football, and 64 Topps Standups. Also under FarFars (various sets) on the registry.
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

They are all very good players on list. But I never viewed any of them as Hall of Famers.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2017 5:10PM

Is the '78 Molitor/Trammell Rookie card the only baseball card rookie now w/two Hall of Famers?

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    Is the '78 Molitor/Trammell Rookie card the only baseball card rookie now w/two Hall of Famers?

Great card but the 1980 Bird/Magic still sits atop the 2 for heap in my opinion.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options

Forgot about the Bird/Magic one in basketball...definitely tops the list. +

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, they won't be the worst players there.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

I'm shocked!

-Big Tiger fan

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

Ted Simmons: One vote short.
    SMH

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:
    I'm shocked!

-Big Tiger fan

As am I but also very pleased!

• Options
    bens4778bens4778 Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

Can rationalize Morris. Not Trammell. A very good player. But naming 20 players better than he is who are not in the HOF would not be hard.

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Happy to see this

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morris's career ERA of 3.90 is the highest of any pitcher in the HOF.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

Someone has to be. Loved his post season work and old school work completing games.

• Options

@Piggs said:

@grote15 said:

Someone has to be. Loved his post season work and old school work completing games.

He's remembered, of course, for his brilliant performance in Game 7 of the 1991 World Series, but his overall career ERA in the postseason, even with those 10 innings of shutout ball factored in, is 3.80, just a tenth of a run better than it was in the regular season. He was terrible in the 1987 and 1992 postseasons. We tend to remember the good and forget the bad in cases like this.

Morris was a very good pitcher who had the good fortune of playing for very good teams that provided solid run support. But he is not worthy of the HOF.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@Piggs said:

@grote15 said:

He's remembered, of course, for his brilliant performance in Game 7 of the 1991 World Series, but his overall career ERA in the postseason, even with those 10 innings of shutout ball factored in, is 3.80, just a tenth of a run better than it was in the regular season. He was terrible in the 1987 and 1992 postseasons. We tend to remember the good and forget the bad in cases like this.

Morris was a very good pitcher who had the good fortune of playing for very good teams that provided solid run support. But he is not worthy of the HOF.

I guess I tend to remember the good over the bad in life in general. LOL . I don't know what they look at.

• Options

@Piggs said:

@grote15 said:

@Piggs said:

@grote15 said:

I guess I tend to remember the good over the bad in life in general. LOL . I don't know what they look at.

I hear you, Doug. And make no mistake, I liked Jack Morris. He was a very good pitcher. I just don't believe he is worthy of the HOF.

• Options
    bens4778bens4778 Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2017 10:24PM

@grote15 said:

@Piggs said:

@grote15 said:

@Piggs said:

@grote15 said:

I hear you, Doug. And make no mistake, I liked Jack Morris. He was a very good pitcher. I just don't believe he is worthy of the HOF.

The ERA point is fair, but it's tough to find guys who consistently had a good ERA in the 80's. There were many guys who had good ERA years in the 70s whose careers continued into the 80s (Guidry, Seaver, Perry, either Niekro, T. John, etc.). Clemens is an all-time great, cheating aside, but Gooden burned out quickly. Other randoms or short-termers like J. Andujar, J. Tudor, B. Welch, or M. Scott had individual great years but only limited success.

I would take Tiant or Sam McDowell in their primes over Morris 100% of the time, though. McDowell's 1965 season was far better than any season Morris ever had.

• Options

@bens4778 said:

@grote15 said:

@Piggs said:

@grote15 said:

@Piggs said:

@grote15 said:

The ERA point is fair, but it's tough to find guys who consistently had a good ERA in the 80's. There were many guys who had good ERA years in the 70s whose careers continued into the 80s (Guidry, Seaver, Perry, either Niekro, T. John, etc.). Clemens is an all-time great, cheating aside, but Gooden burned out quickly. Other randoms or short-termers like J. Andujar, J. Tudor, B. Welch, or M. Scott had individual great years but only limited success.

I would take Tiant or Sam McDowell in their primes over Morris 100% of the time, though.

Stieb, Welch, Valenzuela, Hershiser all had better career ERAs tha Morris and played primarily in the 1980s. Run scoring was tougher then than it is today, or was in the 1990s-2000s, but not as tough as it was in the 1970s.

• Options

Nice to see both players get elected. I feel like a case could be made for most of those on the ballot.

IMO, the veteran's committee voting historically is more about leniency for HOF worthy players that were great during their era but not in the highest echelon (Ruth, Mantle, Mays). The long waiting period for their induction is sort of like their purgatory before induction.

That said, I remember Jack Morris most for his pitching during the early Tiger years highlighted by his 1984 NBC Game of the Week No-Hitter and his lights out pitching in the 1984 World Series. As for Alan Trammell, he was pretty much the American League version of Barry Larkin in that he was overshadowed in the media by another HOF shortstop (Ripken, Ozzie) during his career. If he had won the 1987 AL MVP award he deserved over George Bell, he would have been inducted on the writer's ballot instead of the veteran's ballot.

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Still mad about Trammell getting screwed out of the 87 MVP award!! :)

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2017 5:53AM

@Stingray said:
    Still mad about Trammell getting screwed out of the 87 MVP award!! :)

I've posted the same thing on this board several times and couldn't agree more! :)

So glad to hear both of them are in. Roar in '84!

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:

The price on that one in PSA 9 shot up a lot yesterday.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not really surprised the committee would elect two American Leaguers.
    Most of the former players on the committee spent most, if not all, of their careers
    in the AL, including Brett, Yount, Carew, Winfield, Eck.
    The four hitters mentioned above faced Morris a lot of times, and if they feel he's deserving,
    I have no complaints about it.
    I think the inductees are fairly deserving, but do feel if they're in then Dave Parker,
    Dale Murphy and some others are also deserving.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@mintonlypls said:

I have a rack pack with the molitor/trammell rookie on top. Hope that shot up a lot also.LOL.

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

As a Sox fan I don't think Rice was deserving anymore than these two are. It is the Hall of Fame and not the Hall of Good. If there is any question as to whether someone is deserving then they are simply not. Is this the Bill Mazerowski and Bert Blyleven syndrome??

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

I still remember Jack's game 7 ws 10 inning gem...well earned congrats

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

So how are they going to treat the HOF Post War Registry. Will the card we have for the Molitor spot be allowed for the Tram spot too? Or, will you have to have two separate entries? Don't know if there are people on here who have the basketball HOF registry going, but maybe you can tell how they treat the Bird/Magic RC.

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Or maybe they are just going to have one entry for both players.

• Options

@Darin said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@mintonlypls said:

I have a rack pack with the molitor/trammell rookie on top. Hope that shot up a lot also.LOL.

Nice rack!!!

mint_only_pls
  • Options

Did they show the total voting results? Cant find it anywhere.

• Options

@BGS_Buyer said:
    Did they show the total voting results? Cant find it anywhere.

Morris got 14 out of 16 votes. Trammell got 13.

• Options

who were the closest ?

• Options

@BGS_Buyer said:
    who were the closest ?

Simmons just missed by one vote with 11.

• Options

how does this work next year?
    10 all new guys?
    some of the same guys, some new?

• Options

• Options

thanks

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah these guys were close... I'm in the Morris makes sense but Trammell doesn't camp. For card values I'm glad Trammel made it because I have a few choice Molitor cards and packs so that helps there value.

Glad to see the veterans are finally letting some veterans in... For my next surprise prediction I pick Lee Smith to make it in a couple of years.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭

Mickey Klutts will be next.

Nikklos
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭✭

This sorta took me by surprise TBH. Morris isn't all that surprising (he did pretty well in the BBWA voting but that eyesore of a 3.90 ERA was really killing him)...I don't recall either Alan or Lou Whitaker (they were sort of seen as a big Dynamic 2B/SS Duo getting hardly any votes at all from the BBWA so for Alan to get in now seemingly all of a sudden is quite a surprise.

While I'm not optimistic, I hope Curt Schilling moves higher up the vote this BBWA election. He's the Mr. October of pitching and it's beyond stupid he's being left out of the HOF for mostly political reasons :P

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

I'm from the Detroit area, and watched these guys in the 80's ... and even I don't believe they belong in the HOF

But I guess the HOF has to keep itself relevant, so they need to induct players every year ... maybe they shouldn't if they keep lowering the bar for achievement

Did anybody wet their shorts when they heard this breaking news ???

If the HOF wants people to really take notice, ask Rose to join. Ask McGwire, Bonds, Clemens

just my opinion

• Options

I think the HOF needs to take another look into their stance on certain players and issues. Nobody has lead perfect lives, including the voters themselves. I think we're hypocrites if we keep out players that did so much for the game.

We're going to be asking for forgiveness from our maker one day, but cant let some ballplayers in the HOF ???

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone putting together a 1978 Burger King Tigers set in unwrapped cellophane?

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nikklos said:
    Mickey Klutts will be next.

I, personally, love me some U. L. Washington. He was on a level of "cool mutha-f****r" with that 'fro and toothpick that Dusty Baker never quite attained.

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

I am glad they made it in. I know I'm the exception, but I think some peoples' standards are way too high. I think I saw someone say its not the Hall of Good, but its not the Hall of Once-in-a-Lifetime Greatness either. These guys were stars (and famous) for more than a decade, were superstars in the Midwest and (I assume) lengends of Detroit.

And maybe this will mean Mark Grace will eventually get in, since he was a better player than Trammell! ;)

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

Morris deserves it, IMO. Less convinced with Trammell, but Whitaker was better than Rickey Henderson, so...

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Like I said I'm a Tigers fan but no they should not be in. Honestly if I was in charge I would probably blow out 1/3 of the members currently in there.

It should be reserved for the .1% of the greats not a yearly excuse for old timers to get together or to make content for espn.

• Options

I'm waiting for the first ebay auctions to utilize the new acronym in their title: HOVG!

• Options

I hope Trammells' inclusion opens the door for greats like Buddy Biancalana.
    In the course of the entire 1982 season, Biancalanas' stats read like an immortal.
    Batting avg. of .500, OBP- .667, Slugged at a 1.500 clip, OPS- 2.167, OPS+ an astronomical 476.
    These are numbers Ruth and Williams couldn't even approach.
    Sadly, Biancalanas' downfall appears to be that he didn't perform at this level long enough.
    Still, his epic performance in that one magical season will live on through the ages.