Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1912 - 1914 Canada $5 & $10 Hoard Being Sold!

Comments

• Options
    To put things a bit more in perspective I was glancing at a Stacks catalog from April 1980 and came across these coins. AUs of the $5s were estimated to go upwards of $500, and an EF 1914 $10 was estimated to go for $900.

For my own part growing up in Canada I can say that these gold coins were always a rare sight. $5 and $10 Libs and Indians are pretty easy to find in your typical US coin store, but this wasn't the case for the Canadian $5 and $10s in the coin shops I use to frequent in London, ON or Victoria, BC. In fact I don't think I saw a $10 until I started with PCGS.

My own experience with the coins was in 2001 when I found an EF 1912 $5 in a shop and purchased it for $235. Later that year I upgraded to a slabbed MS61 which was valued at $500 (this was $350 USD back then). As you know gold was a lot cheaper back then, so there was quite a bit of a premium over spot. $500 was a lot of money for me back then so I sold it, and vowed to buy one again one day. I'm glad I waited. The $5 1913 I received is a lot nicer than the coin I use to have, has some provenance and history to it, and [to me] was a very good value.

1913 and 1914 $10s are still available through the mint, so who know's what's going to happen with them price-wise. They may end up melting that remaining inventory as well.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    I don't think they would melt them and net less than $700 when they could
    bulk sell them to a dealer for something like $850-900.

• Options
    I suppose I am not the only one still waiting on delivery. This is surprising to me that it has really taken this long.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I suppose I am not the only one still waiting on delivery. This is surprising to me that it has really taken this long. >>

...and when discussing which side of the stamps to lick, the discussion quickly changed to a debate whether the edges are sides....
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    I've been shopping for a 1914 $5. Haven't paid enough attention to grade since they seemed to be overall decent unc's. here's one that NGC didn't grade but called Brilliant uncirculated. I would be disappointed to get one like this unless I get it for the mint issued price. Note the wrong reverse is pictured but it's clear the close up obverse is the correct coin.
    Click
  • Options

<< <i>I've been shopping for a 1914 $5. Haven't paid enough attention to grade since they seemed to be overall decent unc's. here's one that NGC didn't grade but called Brilliant uncirculated. I would be disappointed to get one like this unless I get it for the mint issued price. Note the wrong reverse is pictured but it's clear the close up obverse is the correct coin.
    Click >>

Perhaps this is a mislabeled holder and the said coin is acually a 1912???
  • Options

<< <i>I've been shopping for a 1914 $5. Haven't paid enough attention to grade since they seemed to be overall decent unc's. here's one that NGC didn't grade but called Brilliant uncirculated. I would be disappointed to get one like this unless I get it for the mint issued price. Note the wrong reverse is pictured but it's clear the close up obverse is the correct coin.
    Click >>

That one's as baggy as you can get. I'd give it a 60.

With the long processing time and the falling price of gold ... why bother?
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that obverse looks like one of my kitchen spoons after it fell into the garbage disposer in my sink.
  • Options
    gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    My credit card was finally charged. I think this means I will get them soon. Only took 5 months. Any other company would go out of business with service like this. I am still excited to see the coins though.
    Richard
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess they sold out the 6 pice set's. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, maybe there is hope. My cc got hit yesterday but no shipping confirmation yet. I want my 1912 $10 despite the fall in bullion.

Better be good...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My credit card was finally charged. I think this means I will get them soon. Only took 5 months. Any other company would go out of business with service like this. I am still excited to see the coins though.
    Richard >>

I had a mail order bride from Russia never show up ... And the massage therapist from Craigslist wasn't worth the scare. He showed up in a skirt and high heels.
  • Options
    Twosides- I like your style and hope you enjoyed the massage and heels. Get what ya pay for. I just hope I get my $10 worth...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

<< <i>Twosides- I like your style and hope you enjoyed the massage and heels. Get what ya pay for. I just hope I get my $10 worth... >>

Just remember friend, Pay Pal takes 2.7% plus some change, and change is good. image
  • Options
    Two weeks since they dinged my CC and still processing. Do you think it will take 5 months more to ship? I am pretty sure I won't be able to get an early release slab at that pointimage

Richard
  • Options
    SleepyGoldSleepyGold Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Mine just arrived today. So hopefully the rest of these will show up in the next few days. I got a 1914 $10. I think it is a nice coin. I'll send it in and see what it grades at.
  • Options
    I canceled all of mine it's taking just to long for me. I thought the US mint was slow I dont think so now.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Finally. Got my 1912 $10 yesterday. Not the premium version so looks as baggy as the others posted. Reverse is very clean tho, strange indeed.

Not sure if worth certifying. Have the attributed slabs been fetching premiums?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone received one with a nice obverse and dinged up reverse?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time I see this thread come up I'm grateful they were so slow in processing these. I cancelled my order back when it was obvious they had no intention of meeting their stated release dates. With bullion doing what it is, it should soon be easy to pick up a nice slabbed example for much less than the masses paid for their lottery chance.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they STILL delivering these dang things??????

Sheesh!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I Just got mine about a week ago.
    Here they are. let me know what you think.
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Thanks,
    Richard
  • Options
    My girlfriend wants to know if the release of this hoard caused the drop in the price of gold. Should I break up with her ?
  • Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭
    So what is current market price for a Raw hand selected prestige 6 coin set??
  • Options
    And are they still delivering coins ordered last Fall?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I have a 1914 premium hand select $5, it's a beautiful coin glad I bought it.
  • Options
    how's the market for these things?

are they done shipping them?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    solid $750-$800 on 1914 $5 hand selected coins on ebay completed auctions - those were the $500 coins....
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    I placed an order in November (?) 2012 and waited, waited, and waited. Finally I cancelled the order after 3 months of waiting. Very disappointed.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mailman finally (!) brought my coin. It looked like it had been to Siberia and back. image
  • Options
    Pictures?

Plastic factory?

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I waited, and waited, then cancelled a long time ago. No regrets.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>The mailman finally (!) brought my coin. It looked like it had been to Siberia and back. image >>

Shirley you jest!
  • Options
    Same here ordered took to long pulled out, Never looked back till now and still happy i did not get them. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    The $10 jobbies were still available, last time I checked. Opted out.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The RCM turned two formerly desirable numismatic classics into so much bullion. 1914 used to be a really tough date - now they are a dime a dozen. Those folks who cancelled out of their orders will be rewarded later on with better pricing once the market for these coins settles out, as long as the price of gold stays down. Buying these coins on the flip has not been a good value since these coins were released, in my opinion.

One other thing that I noticed about the golden release - The major TPG's are routinely overgrading these coins, also in my opinion. I once owned a 1912 $5 in an older blue PCGS MS63 holder that had better luster, substantially fewer contact marks and better rims than most of the 64's and 65's from the release that I have seen to date. If I ever do try to own these coins again I will look for the older slabs.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GotTheBug said:
    The RCM turned two formerly desirable numismatic classics into so much bullion. 1914 used to be a really tough date - now they are a dime a dozen. Those folks who cancelled out of their orders will be rewarded later on with better pricing once the market for these coins settles out, as long as the price of gold stays down. Buying these coins on the flip has not been a good value since these coins were released, in my opinion.

One other thing that I noticed about the golden release - The major TPG's are routinely overgrading these coins, also in my opinion. I once owned a 1912 $5 in an older blue PCGS MS63 holder that had better luster, substantially fewer contact marks and better rims than most of the 64's and 65's from the release that I have seen to date. If I ever do try to own these coins again I will look for the older slabs.

How are the prices doing? I haven't seen many being sold. Are $5 up 50% and $10 down 30% from release price?

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

bumped old threads like this just makes everyone appreciate photobucket so much ehh?

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Another blast from the past.
    On this one, I wonder, like davewesen, where the prices are. I was really tempted back when these were released...but I never did buy one.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. If you had asked me I would have said this happened a year or two ago. My how time flies!

Oh, BTW, I’m still glad I cancelled my order way back when.

• Options

I remember this as well had a boat load of money on hold for months and never received one so I cancelled as well I am happy I did as well. I think they had all of them graded as well and sold off all the junk to collector and that
    truned me off.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2017 10:00PM

They are readily available, there are a lot of nice ones on the bay. You can be picky and still get a very attractive Canada gold $10 in a PCGS slab for under $1,000.

The Royal Canadian Mint melted the remainder of their holding of these 100+ year old coins not too long ago. IIRC, in the aggregate, the number of coins melted was about 1/3rd of the original mintages.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... such a shame to have such old coins just melted.... I would have thought they could market them... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited November 30, 2017 8:21AM

IIRC, the melt came after 30,000 of the best pieces were culled out and sold (the original sales effort noted on this thread).

Some speculation on the big melt of the century-old Canada $5 and $10 gold - (1) the Royal Canadian Mint possibly had an important rush order for gold, perhaps from Asia, or (2) it may have been part of an accounting trick - that gold may have been on the government's books for a next-to-nothing historic value, and that the sale price resulted in a huge bookkeeping gain - a gain which would offset budget deficits elsewhere, thus lowering deficits reported to the public.

While the melting was barbaric enough, a potentially huge and uncertain coin supply overhang was eliminated. That should give a bit of re-assurance to persons who have already invested in these pieces.

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2017 2:12PM

These are selling like hen's teeth, glad i cancelled as well.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up a 1914 $10 a few months ago for $700. I think they are pretty awesome!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought examples of the $5 and $10 coins. I think that they are quite attractive and worth the money as collectors' items. The fact that the Canadian mint has destroyed a fair number of them might help hold up the prices.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Hoards and accumulations take some time to work their way into the market when they are disbursed. After a while (maybe a long while), things normalize. Then there will be people who rue the missed opportunity.

The Redfield Hoard of Silver Dollars bothered some people at this time as "too many" and "too much hype". Now the coins and their provenance are USUALLY eagerly embraced.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear a lot of Canadian coin dealers snickering that they are all just bullion right now.

I wouldn't pay a substantial premium for them that's for sure.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

That's the beauty of collecting gold coins over collecting silver coins.

People ask you to buy a silver coin for twenty times intrinsic value and nobody bats an eyelash.

People ask you to buy a gold coin for twice melt and people fill the back of their tighty whities.

Pick a really nice coin, pay the price, you won't remember the premium later on.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file