Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Pretty good time to buy price wise - what cards should you buy today for 5 years from now?

Looking at a lot of nice items in eBay and AH's, and compared to 18 months ago some cards look like good buys today. If you had to some extra scratch to put in cards right now where would you be looking?

1954 Aaron in PSA 7-8
1968 Ryan PSA 8+
1973 Schmidt
1975 Brett
1980 Henderson
High grade Mantle cards from 1951-1959

KC

Comments

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

None of the above. :)

Arthur

• cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Mid-grade Willie McGee rookies.

Jeff

Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

I like the 1954 Aaron in PSA 7-8. Don't laugh now, the 1986 Bonds Tiffany PSA 10 is a buy at 1K.

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    edited November 11, 2017 9:05PM

Forget about McGee Rookies ... I'd invest in a few thousand of these:

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2017 9:09PM

Have one already, and I will raise you a rare 1 of 1 Jeff Foy autographed PSA box

Got your McGee right here :)

And I think I sold you that Mantle right in front of his table in A/C! Hope all is well.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

@Dboneesq said:
    And I think I sold you that Mantle right in front of his table in A/C! Hope all is well.

Which Mantle? There have been a few going back and forth.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2017 9:25PM

Go with the closest thing to Mickey Mantle since Griffey Jr. retired.
    Mike Trout.
    This winter would be a good time to buy some of his cards since
    he's not in the MVP top three this year.
    Next year as long as he stays healthy he'll be back in the top three.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

OMG I love the pic Doug. Keith I can't believe you have that box still!!

Jeff

Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2017 10:19PM

time to buy when everyone is doom and gloom....plus where else u gonna put ur money..high end collectors still spending 6 figures on a single card......gotta have a hobby...nothing is gonna collapse overnight...prob have at least another 20 years......im a strong believer now that psa upgraded their holders...was worried in the past.....plus life is short

jeff..what kind of signature is that? what are u a physician or something?

kc..i like all of those..and then some...im telling u....

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image

@KendallCat said:

@Dboneesq said:

OOPS! I wasn't you. It was Jason who bought that '56.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

To bring the thread back to the original question, from the list presented I'd go with Aaron rookie cards and '50's Mantle cards.

Daniel
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA 10 Donruss 1986 Canseco.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.

@Dboneesq said:

@KendallCat said:

@Dboneesq said:

OOPS! I wasn't you. It was Jason who bought that '56.

Doug - with the number of 1956 Mantle cards I have bought in 8/8.5 I don't think anyone could fault you for making that mistake :D

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

First...buy high grade (8.5 or better). Then...speculate (oops...collect. This is a hobby.) in these players:

Mantle 51-69
    Mays 51-67
    Ryan 68-77
    Rose 63 +64
    Reggie 69
    Clemente 55-71
    Koufax 55-63
    Aaron 54-67

mint_only_pls

Love PSA 8.5's - my favorite grade. Would love to have a run of Mantle cards from 56-59 in 8.5's - that would be a group of unicorns!

8s are beautiful cards...but when prices climb...these 8s come out of the woodwork stemming the rise in price. Whereas 8.5s and 9s are much less plentiful and hold its value much easier on a significant rise such as in 2016. Also...because of its relative scarcity to an 8...higher grades such as 8.5/9 will rebound closer to its all time highs on a turnaround.

mint_only_pls
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭

I like Mays and Mantle cards!

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2017 9:45PM

Five years. Hm...

My bets are:

• Shoeless Joe RC and CJ (especially before the 2019 anniversary).

• Aaron Judge.

• Early Ruth. (Pre-Goudey)

• Centered classic cards with strong eye appeal in any grade.

There was a really insightful discussion on Net54 recently that touched on the trend of increasing premiums paid for strong cards in whatever their grade, alongside what can almost be described as “penalties” in terms of hammer prices against cards with weak eye appeal. The substantial rarity of certain attributes in certain cards is becoming common knowledge and examples with those attributes will command larger and larger premiums in time.

I believe as the hobby matures, this trend will only increase— and it will cost more and more to take home such examples. Hence when I see a focused, boldly colored, centered classic in low or mid or high grade I am all over it.

In the future, my bet is the “weak” looking cards in high grade holders will become much harder to move, as more and more discriminating buyers will prefer to wait for a premium example.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

edited November 12, 2017 1:56PM

@mintonlypls said:
    First...buy high grade (8.5 or better). Then...speculate (oops...collect. This is a hobby.) in these players:

I would caution against falling in love with a blanket sticker grade without insisting on centering and eye appeal. Not all 8.5s and 9s are equal. Prudent to judge on a card by card basis.

I agree not all 8.5s/9s are equal and it is prudent to judge a card on its own merits...but eye appeal also includes minimal or lack of corner wear besides centering...registration and bold coloration.

mint_only_pls

ok ill get serious

1. 53 mantle...still undervalued...most return
    2. 54 aaron...same
    3. clemente/ryan rcs...yes thats two..hmm
    4. 86 jordan for safe slow return
    5. Football rc......waaay undervalued
  • balco758balco758 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread.....and agree on many of the cards/years noted by others.

My question is this - for folks like me who can only afford a lower -mid grade examples (54 Aaron in a 3, Walter Payton, Reggie in a 7, Brett, Schmidt in 8s, etc..) - do this follow the same rules?

I know, I know, collect what you love - and I do love being able to hold examples of these "special" cards - BUT do folks believe there will be a decent market in time for lower grades of the popular cards? I really want a 53 Mantle, but can probably only afford a 2...worth it?

Steve

@balco758 said:

My question is this - for folks like me who can only afford a lower -mid grade examples (54 Aaron in a 3, Walter Payton, Reggie in a 7, Brett, Schmidt in 8s, etc..) - do this follow the same rules?

I know, I know, collect what you love - and I do love being able to hold examples of these "special" cards - BUT do folks believe there will be a decent market in time for lower grades of the popular cards? I really want a 53 Mantle, but can probably only afford a 2...worth it?

Steve

Absolutely worth it, provided you invest the time and sweat equity to seek out a very, very good looking example. I’ll pay 3+ money for a gorgeous 2 before I pay 8 money for an average or lesser 8. If you can find that rare example in lower grade with fantastic eye appeal for as close to the “average” price as you can, I believe longterm the premium on that example will increase. Such cards are admittedly hard to find, yet they are out there— and they will make you happy while owning and equally happy should you ever wind up selling.

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2017 7:38AM

I no longer sell, i'm an end-line collector these days. But, Pro Football HOF RC's. Especially those from National Chicle all the way up to late 70's. PSA 5-6 maybe PSA 7 for the early RC's, PSA 8-10 for those from 1950 - 79. . There's a decent ceiling for most that hasn't been reached. There are great players whose RC's are really cheap(compared to other sport counterparts) and undervalued.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@balco758

I think it never hurts to sit down with your collection and reorganize or refocus. Often, it will help you decide what it is you really want or what standards you want to set or where you want to go next. I think a good collection can be all over the map and yet still have a theme that runs through it. I say this because sometimes, between saving and selling, you can start to climb up the grade ladder and improve your collection AND downsize. Fewer items, but much nicer. Also, not all vintage high grade items carry a high price tag - yet. And sometimes, all it takes to make a vintage card (or set or issue or collectible) very valuable is for a high grade graded example to sell at a high price in a public auction. Remember the rush to buy/sell Ozzie Smith rookies when an absurdly high price popped a while back? Great example. However, even high grade carries risk - new cards get graded all the time and having 1 of 17 PSA 10s is not the same as 1/30 or 1/75. Another risk not all consider - while I'm happy when my resubbed 9 is a 10, everyone else who has a 10 probably should not be...

Lastly, I don't think a five year investment timeline is safe or sound. As a luxury item, baseball cards are tied to the economy at large. In a booming economy, it's a great time to sell all products. In a bust economy, prices and interest in luxury items drops considerably. The idea that 'I'm not buying baseball cards when I can't pay my bills or don't have a job.' In these times, people often sell these items - at a loss.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

5 years?

I'm the senior citizen of CU.

The only thing I might be speculating with is death.

Mike
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    5 years?

+1
    My Docs refuse to do anything unless I pay in advance.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

edited November 13, 2017 6:14PM

@balco758 said:

Steve

Absolutely without a doubt!!!...actually the thrill of the hunt and finally finding what you've been searching for for so long is as rewarding for a nicely centered, glowing 4 as it is for a 9....ive seen great 3-5's id pay good money for over the majority of 7,8s......but its the thrill of hunt...just like some other hunts that come to mind..:)

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Can't go wrong with Babe Ruth cards

• Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    5 years?

I Hope NOT mike!! You got alot more to give to this world buddy!!

• 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2017 8:32PM

@KendallCat said:

@Stone193 said:
    5 years?

Listen to you Mike. I showed my wife our group photo from the Natty, and I told her "I hope I look as good as Mike when I am his age." She said what are you talking about - you don't look as good as him right now :D

Keith

If my wife said that to me that to me I'm 99% sure it would be time for a mid-life crisis (i.e. BIG DOLLAR card purchase).

;)

Dave

Dave - I would fight back but (a) she lets me get whatever I want card wise without a peep and even goes to the National with me, and (b) she is fast, sneaky, stealthlike, and swings a mean cast iron skillet when I am not looking :D

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2017 10:56PM

@KendallCat said:

@Stone193 said:
    5 years?

Listen to you Mike. I showed my wife our group photo from the Natty, and I told her "I hope I look as good as Mike when I am his age." She said what are you talking about - you don't look as good as him right now :D

LOL, that is funny!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • 2011 Bowman Draft Unopened and 2013 Topps Heritage Unopened. Both have Trout and Harper along with some other RC's.

#CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

No data to back this up; just a wild guess: I think there is a lot of room for growth with the 1955 Koufax.

Also echoing what others are saying about the 1954 Aaron, and then throw in 51 Bowman and 52 Topps Mays.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the suggestion but I still think the Jim Brown Rookie and the Kareem rookie are great investments.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Mike Trout.

I agree you should get a nice Trout Rookie but the Pujols experience worries me. Pujols was an MVP candidate for almost ten straight years and a virtual lock for the HOF until these last couple of years. I would be a little worried about investing in someone's future again.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • I keep pointing out that Mike Trout's cards will go just like Albert Pujols and Miguel Cabrera's have once he reaches the twilight of his career too. Trout's prices are only as high as they are now due to what some see as his future potential or where his numbers end up. Derek Jeter is about the only baseball player who I can think of who's cards didn't tank once he got to the end(and that's probably because he is a Yankee and American).

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

I'm selling lots of stuff I didn't plan on selling. I think we have farther to fall because the economy is overdue for a recession. I'll buy better grades on the dip.

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@Darin said:
    Mike Trout.

I agree you should get a nice Trout Rookie but the Pujols experience worries me. Pujols was an MVP candidate for almost ten straight years and a virtual lock for the HOF until these last couple of years. I would be a little worried about investing in someone's future again.

Despite Pujols' declining numbers, would he not still be a HOF lock? I guess stranger things have happened.

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, Pujols is an easy lock. Are people really going 2013 when it comes to Trout? Are you doing it because you believe that's his real rookie or because you're priced out of the 2009?

Arthur

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am going to go in a different direction. Buy the steroid scumbags rookies in mint condition. As time goes by people (not me, but many) will forget/forgive them for screwing up the record books.

Some of these jerks are already pretty expensive, so that shows how stupid people already are.

Guys like Mantle, Clemente, Aaron are already super expensive and will no doubt be solid investments, but I'll bet the return could be much higher on the juicers.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Yeah, Pujols is an easy lock. Are people really going 2013 when it comes to Trout? Are you doing it because you believe that's his real rookie or because you're priced out of the 2009?

Arthur

I went with 2011 topps update for Trout. I am definitely priced out of his
    Bowman Chrome rookie auto card.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭

1957 Bart Star 7+
    1965 Namath 7.5+
    1954 Aaron 7+
    1951B Mays 6+
    1952T Mays 6+

Any signed HOF from 50's or earlier. You make money buying not selling..

• 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭

1970 Aurelio Rodriguez PSA 8+

;)

Dave
  • SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

2011 topps and 2013 topps regular and mini. buy as much as you can get your hands on.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.