Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pretty good time to buy price wise - what cards should you buy today for 5 years from now?

Comments

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

Any signed HOF from 50's or earlier. You make money buying not selling..

I agree. As collectors get more advanced, and more older collections come to market, collectors will realize collecting cards is now more of an impulse purchase, rather than having that thrill of a hunt via packs or at shows. Almost anything you can find with just a click, and a payment. The signed cards, and tougher issues will always have people scouring for them. I don't know how many will be pushing for signed set runs, and as we have seen some unsigned graded commons have dropped off in price, however signed HOF cards, and fan favorites, should always be in demand, even for guys who have lived a long life and made the rounds signing.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@originalisbest said:

@Cakes said:

@Darin said:
    Go with the closest thing to Mickey Mantle since Griffey Jr. retired.
    Mike Trout.
    This winter would be a good time to buy some of his cards since
    he's not in the MVP top three this year.
    Next year as long as he stays healthy he'll be back in the top three.

I agree you should get a nice Trout Rookie but the Pujols experience worries me. Pujols was an MVP candidate for almost ten straight years and a virtual lock for the HOF until these last couple of years. I would be a little worried about investing in someone's future again.

Despite Pujols' declining numbers, would he not still be a HOF lock? I guess stranger things have happened.

To clarify Pujol's is a HOF lock but I don't expect his cards to bring moon money like they would have had he finished better.

I like Trout, one of the best we have seen in the last 10 years but it's still a risky bet to buy at his high. Obviously there are the rare few who somehow get better with age and their card prices go from the highs to moon money. IE: Tom Brady

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@originalisbest said:

@Cakes said:

@Darin said:
    Mike Trout.

I agree you should get a nice Trout Rookie but the Pujols experience worries me. Pujols was an MVP candidate for almost ten straight years and a virtual lock for the HOF until these last couple of years. I would be a little worried about investing in someone's future again.

Despite Pujols' declining numbers, would he not still be a HOF lock? I guess stranger things have happened.

To clarify Pujol's is a HOF lock but I don't expect his cards to bring moon money like they would have had he finished better.

I like Trout, one of the best we have seen in the last 10 years but it's still a risky bet to buy at his high. Obviously there are the rare few who somehow get better with age and their card prices go from the highs to moon money. IE: Tom Brady

Understood and I agree. :) It usually helps to get a HOF player after they've been done for a few years, vs. buying in at the height of their visibility and excitement; allowing for exceptions like Brady.

• Options

@CrissCriss said:
    53 Mantle PSA 5 and whatever Matty Ice is buying.

While I know the '53 Topps is what was meant, I wonder how people feel about the beautiful '53 Bowman Mantle? I like both, but probably would give the nod to the Topps as an investment, all other factors/grade/appeal being equal.

• Options

@originalisbest said:

@Cakes said:

@originalisbest said:

@Cakes said:

@Darin said:
    Mike Trout.

Understood and I agree. :) It usually helps to get a HOF player after they've been done for a few years, vs. buying in at the height of their visibility and excitement; allowing for exceptions like Brady.

To me buying Trout right now would be like buying a lot like buying the 89 Score Barry Sanders cards 7 years into his career. Risky!

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only thing about Trout that would concern me is staying injury free. His skills
    aren't going to decline for quite a few years yet.
    It was a shame this year because he was headed for a monster year, probably would
    have been his best ever if he had not gotten injured.
    I just wish his team would make the playoffs, would be nice to see him play in the postseason.

• Options

The projections with Trout have more to do with his age than his actual stats IMO. I had only been following his career on the peripheral until I got back into cards this year, and based upon the hype, I had assumed he had unreal numbers - only to find they aren't really that spectacular! He's hit 40 HR's one time, 100 RBI's twice and averages about 175 hits. Excluding 2011 when he played just 40 games, he's averaged 32 HR,s, 92 RBI's and batted .309. Yeh, that's good, but he's not remotely in the league of say Ken Griffey Jr or Frank Thomas. At this point, he's iffy for the HOF unless he plays for 20 years of starts hitting significantly more HR's consistently. Seriously, the guy is good, and I know there's all these "new" stats and stuff people look at, but his numbers don't even come close to matching the "price hype". Are some of you guys not old enough to remember Griffey averaging 44HR/129RBI/.295 for eight straight years? Those numbers make Trout look pedestrian.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the best return I would shop the bruised apples from the steroid era. Bonds and Clemens RCs have bounced nicely off their lows as they get closer to getting into the HOF. I think Alex Rodriguez RCs are intriguing at these levels, but I would only focus on the higher end RCs. The SP Foil in PSA 10 is a little more than I would pay, but buying a Red Holoview PSA 10 for $500 has a decent shot at $800-$1000 if AROD has the same HOF voting pattern as Bonds. I think McGwire, even though I think he will won't get in, has seemed to survived the era and his rookie sells for decent $$ off the lows.

The real gambling is at the second tier steroid guys like Sosa and Manny Ramirez.

Mike
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:
    The projections with Trout have more to do with his age than his actual stats IMO. I had only been following his career on the peripheral until I got back into cards this year, and based upon the hype, I had assumed he had unreal numbers - only to find they aren't really that spectacular! He's hit 40 HR's one time, 100 RBI's twice and averages about 175 hits. Excluding 2011 when he played just 40 games, he's averaged 32 HR,s, 92 RBI's and batted .309. Yeh, that's good, but he's not remotely in the league of say Ken Griffey Jr or Frank Thomas. At this point, he's iffy for the HOF unless he plays for 20 years of starts hitting significantly more HR's consistently. Seriously, the guy is good, and I know there's all these "new" stats and stuff people look at, but his numbers don't even come close to matching the "price hype". Are some of you guys not old enough to remember Griffey averaging 44HR/129RBI/.295 for eight straight years? Those numbers make Trout look pedestrian.

Old enough to remember Griffey? I'm old enough to remember Willie Mays and Hank Aaron still playing.
    Regarding Trout- his best stats are his OBP and OPS, which are amazing and I think will actually improve
    because I don't think he's even hit his prime years yet.
    This year was the first time Trout had more walks than strikeouts, which means he's learning which pitches
    he can handle and which pitches to lay off. I think we'll see a few years where Mike Trout has over 100
    extra base hits, something like 50 doubles, 40 HRs, 10 triples. I believe he'll do that several times.

• Options

Any thoughts on retired or current basketball players?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CrissCriss said:
    Going huge with them! 5 figs

You may want to reconsider that wager if the OT is out again. No Elliott + no pass protection=Philly feasting on Prescott.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AaronfromKy said:
    Any thoughts on retired or current basketball players?

The 1980 Bird and Magic rookie card prices (not the Bird/Erving/Magic card, the two solo rookies) are an abomination.

In the interest of full disclosure, the Art Vandelay Offshore Holdings Corporation owns one of each.

Arthur

• Options
    mortizmortiz Posts: 62 ✭✭

Stay away from anything late 1970s or 1980s+.

IMO go for the Mantle without thinking twice. I can’t understand people dropping $20K+ on an Ozzie or Henderson when the pop is increasing regularly every year.

• Options
    BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭

Any thoughts on Giancarlo Stantons 2008 Bowman Rookie Auto?

Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • Options

@mortiz said:
    Stay away from anything late 1970s or 1980s+.

IMO go for the Mantle without thinking twice. I can’t understand people dropping $20K+ on an Ozzie or Henderson when the pop is increasing regularly every year.

Thanks, I'm taking your advice to the bank.

• Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Great thread. Won’t repeat anything.
    Messi keeps going up in value...not sure the ceiling there. Love Mantle of course.

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

A new record is about to be set on the grade linked below; $38,400 right now brings it home.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1952-topps-mickey-mantle-311-psa-vg-ex-4/a/7200-82745.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

@DM23HOF said:
    A new record is about to be set on the grade linked below; $38,400 right now brings it home.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1952-topps-mickey-mantle-311-psa-vg-ex-4/a/7200-82745.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

In love with the front centering on that one!

• Options

@mortiz said:

@DM23HOF said:

In love with the front centering on that one!

Agree. That centering is top .0001%. One of the best looking I've ever seen.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

DM23HOF...how does that one compare to yours? Color...centering...corners???

mint_only_pls
  • Options

Very close. Excepting the surface dimples on the 4 mentioned in the auction description, the two cards are quite similar. The 4.5 has slightly better centering/less tilt and no surface imperfections. Three of the corners look the same; the lower left on the 4 seems a bit more touched than the corresponding corner on the 4.5. Color is hard to say as Heritage tends to have "vivid" scanner settings.

• Options

1966 Topps Bobby Orr rookies in PSA 8.

This card is becoming the 1952 Topps Mantle to hockey collectors, not in equivalent dollar value but as the single most iconic card of its sport. Not counting qualifiers, there are only 46 Topps Bobby Orr rookies in PSA 8 or higher (including just one 8.5 and one 9). In the Population Report, no new ones have been added to these 46 in nearly four years. I believe it is still undervalued in the SMR.

Compare that to the other player also widely considered the greatest hockey player of all time: Wayne Gretzky. Not counting qualifiers, there are a whopping 1,255 Topps Gretzky rookies in PSA 8 or higher and 759 Gretzky OPC rookies in PSA 8 or higher for a total of 2,104.

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2017 8:51PM

I just bought back the Koufax PSA 8 rookie I sold for $20,000.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    edited November 18, 2017 9:03PM

@DM23HOF said:

GORGEOUS looking card. Just closed. With BP, sold for $43,200.00.

Edited to add prior sales from VCP from 2016 and 2017:
    Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 4 - Average Price: $30,551.83

Listing Type:
    Show:
    Date Auction Link Seller Buyer Bids Price Extra
    11/13/17 eBay Auction | Image pwcc_auctions it 62 $31,911.00
    10/29/17 REA Auction | Image 12 $27,000.00
    9/14/17 eBay Auction | Image battlefield0516 c
    c 65 $30,200.00
    8/20/17 Heritage Auction | Image 19 $36,000.00
    6/29/17 Heritage Auction | Image 14 $31,200.00
    5/20/17 eBay Listing | Image cooperstownsportscards h6 BIN $30,000.00
    4/6/17 eBay Image aliciaiacobo0 r
    n BIN $30,000.00
    1/14/17 eBay Image sports-cards-forever tc BIN $30,000.00
    10/7/16 Goodwin Image 5 $21,962.40
    8/19/16 Mile High Image 19 $25,194.20
    8/1/16 eBay Image pwcc_auctions y
    y 48 $32,600.00
    5/23/16 eBay Image probstein123 is 57 $23,118.00
    4/18/16 eBay Image sportsgraffs 7
    j 36 $27,100.00
    3/18/16 eBay Image investinbaseball r***a 55 $22,602.00

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2017 9:23PM

@Dboneesq said:

@DM23HOF said:

GORGEOUS looking card. Just closed. With BP, sold for $43,200.00.

Edited to add prior sales from VCP from 2016 and 2017:
    Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 4 - Average Price: $30,551.83

Listing Type:
    Show:
    Date Auction Link Seller Buyer Bids Price Extra
    11/13/17 eBay Auction | Image pwcc_auctions it 62 $31,911.00
    10/29/17 REA Auction | Image 12 $27,000.00
    9/14/17 eBay Auction | Image battlefield0516 c
    c 65 $30,200.00
    8/20/17 Heritage Auction | Image 19 $36,000.00
    6/29/17 Heritage Auction | Image 14 $31,200.00
    5/20/17 eBay Listing | Image cooperstownsportscards h6 BIN $30,000.00
    4/6/17 eBay Image aliciaiacobo0 r
    n BIN $30,000.00
    1/14/17 eBay Image sports-cards-forever tc BIN $30,000.00
    10/7/16 Goodwin Image 5 $21,962.40
    8/19/16 Mile High Image 19 $25,194.20
    8/1/16 eBay Image pwcc_auctions y
    y 48 $32,600.00
    5/23/16 eBay Image probstein123 is 57 $23,118.00
    4/18/16 eBay Image sportsgraffs 7
    j 36 $27,100.00
    3/18/16 eBay Image investinbaseball r***a 55 $22,602.00

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Centered 52 Topps Mantles will never go down in price.

That's a fact lol

• Options

Glad to see a quality Mantle like that get the action it deserves. Just goes to show you where the real investments are :)

• Options

Interesting thread. I have been using the recent price weakness to pickup several Michael Jordan cards on my want list. In fact, I got two low pop super tough Jordan cards recently. I only planned on getting one, but price was too good to pass up on the other. Some of the really rare 90s Jordan inserts have continued to ramp in price while other more classic early Jordan cards have come down. Interesting times.

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on a Topps Gretzky in PSA 9. I've been holding off waiting for it to decline.

Talk about a card on a roller coaster. For almost a decade they sold for for about $1500 - $2000. Then from 11/13 to 5/15 there were 4 public sales where it jumped from $1900 to $9000!!! It held at nearly $7k until this spring and the last one went for under $5k. Of course there was one PWCC HE which went for $11,200 and while it was a beautiful card I'm waiting for the right one at $5k or less to show its head.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options

A Gretzky OPC rookie imo still has a lot of upside when you consider his place in hockey and on the Mount Rushmore of athletes in general. The info about the Orr rookie was also spot on and I am not a hockey fan. The scarcity of that card, grades, and how few come up for sale is mind bottling.

KC

• Options

@sushihotwings said:
    Interesting thread. I have been using the recent price weakness to pickup several Michael Jordan cards on my want list. In fact, I got two low pop super tough Jordan cards recently. I only planned on getting one, but price was too good to pass up on the other. Some of the really rare 90s Jordan inserts have continued to ramp in price while other more classic early Jordan cards have come down. Interesting times.

I think this is the whole point of what many have been saying. There was writing on the wall that the past prices were just not “real”. So I wouldn’t say that current prices are “weak”, they’re just more what they should be ... at least closer to it.

I still foresee some significant drops in late 1970s and 1980s “premium” cards.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since the ship has already left port on Messi and Ronaldo, the best buy for 5 year investment right now would be the highest grade 2009 Neymar Jr I could afford.

• Options

@addicted2ebay said:
    Centered 52 Topps Mantles will never go down in price.

That's a fact lol

You actually might well be right there, particularly ones that just really nail the centering with no tilt, whatever their respective grade. The thing about the other nuances of grading is people will disagree about whether a scrape is worse, a dent, or corner bump, or dozens of hidden wrinkles, one huge crease but in a "hidden"/non-focal area, etc. But centering that's perfect is just centering that's perfect, and when it's generally hard to find, it always stands out from the crowd.

While I do wish my '51 Bowman Mantle was better centered, it still is probably my favorite card, and the situation there wasn't about waiting for a perfect centered one I couldn't afford, it was buying the best I could find at the time with the finances I had to pursue it. :)

• Options

You are right about the 51 Mantle as well. One sold privately for higher than any previous VCP price by a large margin - just has to be the right card and condition.

I also saw a few cards last night go for crazy prices since I was on the wrong end. Hornung rookie in a 7.5 I got blown out of the water, and the Jim Brown rookie was mine with 3 seconds to go but not with 1 second to go :D Both were very strong cards.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Hornung was sweet. I forgot to bid on it.

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

The centering on that Brown is ridiculous. Little print, what’s wrong with it bringing it down to a 5.5. ????Wonderful that it is HE, however I wish they would tell us what brings it down, not what makes it HE for the grade.

• Options

That Brown is too nice. Did it end around 5.5 money or higher? At least you got that sweet Hornung.

Arthur

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

$1290

• Options

Missed on both of them, and the centering was sick on both - the Hornung looks like a 9. Must have gotten the grader of death whoever sent it in. More $$ for Garbage Pail and Cabbage Patch for me ;)

• Options

Haha you got money burning a hole in your pocket now. :)

Can't wait to see what you add next. You've got one helluva eye.

Arthur

• Options

@Sdub said:
    2011 topps and 2013 topps regular and mini. buy as much as you can get your hands on.

2011 I can understand (at least the update) but why 2013?

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Haha you got money burning a hole in your pocket now. :)

Can't wait to see what you add next. You've got one helluva eye.

Arthur

Arthur

Thank you about the eye comment - wish I had some extra $$ to go with it. :) Good thing is all major house projects are complete as of this Tuesday and paid for, so I can hopefully grab a few items here soon. Not going after anything specific - just anything that looks higher than the grade in baseball and football HOF rookies.

Happy Thanksgiving!

KC

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@saraceno21 said:

@Sdub said:
    2011 topps and 2013 topps regular and mini. buy as much as you can get your hands on.

2011 I can understand (at least the update) but why 2013?

Sorry, it was sarcasm. I'm trying to unload these cards on BST, but can't get any bites.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

@cardcountry said:
    Mid-grade Willie McGee rookies.

Jeff

This. The market is ripe for the PSA 5 1983 Fleer in particular...

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    Great thread.....and agree on many of the cards/years noted by others.

My question is this - for folks like me who can only afford a lower -mid grade examples (54 Aaron in a 3, Walter Payton, Reggie in a 7, Brett, Schmidt in 8s, etc..) - do this follow the same rules?

I know, I know, collect what you love - and I do love being able to hold examples of these "special" cards - BUT do folks believe there will be a decent market in time for lower grades of the popular cards? I really want a 53 Mantle, but can probably only afford a 2...worth it?

Steve

For iconic cards like the 53 Mantle or 54 Aaron, definitely worth it and a great investment IMO in any grade. I think it's a great time to buy these and cards like Clemente, Mays, Banks, Musial, Koufax with great eye appeal in any grade. Not so sure about cards like Schmidt or Brett. Great cards, but not iconic. With cards in that wheelhouse, probably best to stick with really sharp 8.5 or 9's.

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options

Bumping this thread because I love these type but we hardly revisit them.

I did not bump to get flamed for some of my bad takes... :#

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

All great options. For a more modern option, I also like Clayton Kershaw high end stuff for this question. In 5 years he will likely be getting paraded around as the best left handed pitcher ever. I'm not saying he is or isn't but his stats in a live ball era are pretty amazing, and it's been the way MLB has marketed itself lately. Sending off the legends and overhyping them a bit. Kershaw is well liked and has played his entire career in a big market too.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options

@76collector said:
    All great options. For a more modern option, I also like Clayton Kershaw high end stuff for this question. In 5 years he will likely be getting paraded around as the best left handed pitcher ever. I'm not saying he is or isn't but his stats in a live ball era are pretty amazing, and it's been the way MLB has marketed itself lately. Sending off the legends and overhyping them a bit. Kershaw is well liked and has played his entire career in a big market too.

Jeff

I agree on Kershaw.

What do you think about Scherzer and Verlander?