Home U.S. Coin Forum

Interesting SC$ on eBay of all places.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 5, 2017 4:06PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The medal is in an NGC capsule https://ebay.com/itm/U-S-MINT-W-W-1-22K-WINGED-VICTORY-UNIQUE-RARITY-10-SO-CALLED-DOLLAR-HK-902a/253243439937?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3Dd700d55cf80f4e5e82da277d8e54976b%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D172948710873&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507 and catalogued as HK-902a. I wasn't even aware that it existed and unless I have over looked it, there is no Hibler-Kappen listing in either edition.

In short, HK-902a is a WWI Victory medal struck in 22k Gold and listed as an R-10/unique issue. To my way of thinking it should probably be in a major auction such as Heritage, but this may be a listing to gain exposure/recognition with a major auction forthcoming. Can anyone who collects these interesting medals comment on where it may have come from, where it has been hiding??

Thanks in advance.

Al H.

Comments

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite the rarity. You would think something of that calibre would have decent images.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish ngc would have taken a little more time drilling that hole at the top. Pretty sloppy looking.

• KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2017 4:56PM

Beautiful, even polished.

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. I wonder who it was awarded to, and the circumstances.

Note that this only "kinda sorta" counts as a So-Called Dollar, because it's looped. There are other (non-gold) versions of this medal that were never looped. There are also LOTS of examples in bronze that are looped, or had the loop removed.The truly never-looped bronze examples are much rarer than the looped and looped-removed ones. Of course, the gold one beats them all for rarity...

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2017 7:15PM

It's great that this piece has been assigned a HK number even though it's not in either edition of the book. It's nice to know that the cataloging continues. More info on this piece, including who wore it, would be great.

The auction says this was struck by the US Mint but I'm wondering if this is conjecture or backed by records. Information from HK and others is that the dies were prepared at the US Mint and the medals were struck by Medallic Art Co. and Art Metal Works. It makes sense that the US Mint would strike a few pieces given that they made the dies. It would be great if there were records of this.

As for price, it has a BIN of $49,500.00 and a starting price of $38,000.00. This is in the range of the two HK-1031 gold Wilson dollars being offered on the bay for $45,950.00 (PCGS AU55) and $39,950.00 (ANACS Unc details Net MS60).

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

this only "kinda sorta" counts as a So-Called Dollar

1. No holed or looped material unless struck plain also. Our Nos. 1 to HK-3 are the sole exceptions.
      ----- there is no argument that can be made against its inclusion although I understand the sentiment. FWIW, I try to avoid any holed medals in my collection but it can tough sometimes. additionally, I have submitted one holed medal to PCGS which qualifies under the above (4) criteria: it was returned to me un-encapsulated and noted as "Damaged" on the insert.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A truly unique piece.... I would be interested in the back story... who it was awarded to, why etc.. Cheers, RickO

since it is linked to Steve Tannenbaum there should be someone who can "sleuth" their way to an answer. I suppose it was probably part of his estate or left with his company at the time of his death. that would be a logical starting point.

any help out there about the Tannenbaum link to this medal?

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting price

Frank

BHNC #203

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

One would think that a piece like this would warrant better pictures?

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had WWI Victory Medals before (used to collect them)...but not in gold...the ribbon is very colorful, and there were several campaign bars for the ribbon.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

The medal is beyond impaired. I wouldn't pay melt for it.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
    edited January 21, 2018 9:21PM

Unsold after being offered for:

• $38k
    • $31k twice
    • $30k thrice

Here's the description:

U.S.MINT UNCIRCULATED RARITY 10 UNIQUE IN GOLD 22K

THE MOST SIGNIFICANT UNITED STATES MINT STRUCK PIECE FOR WORLD WAR ONE.

MORE RARE A SO CALLED DOLLAR THAN THE 1920'S GOLD WILSON SO CALLED DOLLARS.

EDGE MARKED 22K , THIS IS THE SOLE SPECIMEN STRUCK IN SOLID GOLD

AND WOULD BE THE DIAMOND TO ANY COLLECTION OF AMERICAN RARITY.

THE WINGED VICTORY MEDAL IS LISTED IN THE SO CALLED DOLLARS BOOK AS HK#902.

PRESENTING HK #902A , ONE OF ONE , RARITY 10 , UNIQUE.

AS MILITARY MEDALS THAT WERE TO BE ACTUALLY WORN ON UNIFORM,

THIS PIECE WOULD BE EXPECTED TO BE POLISHED AS PEDIGREED BY THE NGC GRADING COMPANY.

NOT EVEN THE SMITHSONIAN HAS THE WINGED VICTORY IN SOLID GOLD MANUFACTURE.

A CHANCE TO OWN A NATIONAL TREASURE.

Hopefully it finds a good home!

Thanks for posting it @keets. Definitely a unique and interesting piece!

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a rare piece........but to say "polished" is an understatement.

Sad.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is amazing that something like that has no indication as to the awardee. General Pershing seems to be most logical choice but without a paper trail ... who knows. Also, just how did it come to be on the market. This is something I would want to know if I were a buyer.

Yes, it probably was polished as it was a military medal ... no a so-called dollar. It is lacking its ribbon and campaign bars, a negative.

While it is rare in gold it is extremely common in bronze. I have an example, with ribbon and bars, that was my grandfather's.

All glory is fleeting.
  • ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never seen it in gold. With that kind of price you'd think they would have more informations.
    The brass one is as beautiful

the seller states about it being polished because it was actually a medal that was to be awarded, presented and worn, the bigger question is to whom??? accepting that it was struck by the US Mint there should be records available to trace origin and provenance. since the insert notes Steve Tannenbaum, a fairly well known dealer of Coins and Exonumia, I would expect there is some type of information available.

a few things that are solely my opinion --- depending on the nature of the "polishing" that NGC notes I would view that to be "as issued" for the medal. also, I would imagine that NGC has some sort of information as does the current owner. the best thing would be a Stack's or Heritage auction sale. rest assured, if either of those two sold it there would be a detailed write-up about what it is and where it came from.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised that more of the critical information was not added in the description.

edited March 27, 2018 10:46PM

Now offered for $63,000 by a different seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1919-20-HK-902A-SC-1-W-W-I-Victory-Gold-Medal-Ex-Steve-Tanenbaum-Collection/173231377293?hash=item2855650b8d:g:HFoAAOSwlJlatBku

Here's some info in the description:

Pedigree: Ex. Steve Tanenbaum Collection . Steve thought this medal was produced to be given to a High ranking General of W.W.I. or Someone in the U.S. Government.

It didn't sell previously. Hopefully it will find a good home this time.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    The medal is beyond impaired. I wouldn't pay melt for it.

Agreed, 5 figures? I wouldn't pay 3 figures. $28K dreck lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

while I sort of understand everyone's disdain for the medal as listed, the statement by Weiss and agreement above is a bit ludicrous.

I'm actually disappointed by NGC, that they would certify a medal which is Historically significant as "Genuine" without being able to provide any sort of origin. I suppose I should say that same thing about the eBay seller and the previous owner. someone, somewhere knows the provenance, probably the Executor of an Estate.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2018 4:43AM

@keets said:

In short, HK-902a is a WWI Victory medal struck in 22k Gold and listed as an R-10/unique issue. To my way of thinking it should probably be in a major auction such as Heritage, but this may be a listing to gain exposure/recognition with a major auction forthcoming. Can anyone who collects these interesting medals comment on where it may have come from, where it has been hiding??

Thanks in advance.

Al H.

That medal was in a major auction. I stumbled across it not long ago. Unfortunately, I can't remember where. I'll try and hunt it down if I have time.

@keets said:
    while I sort of understand everyone's disdain for the medal as listed, the statement by Weiss and agreement above is a bit ludicrous.

I'm actually disappointed by NGC, that they would certify a medal which is Historically significant as "Genuine" without being able to provide any sort of origin. I suppose I should say that same thing about the eBay seller and the previous owner. someone, somewhere knows the provenance, probably the Executor of an Estate.

It's possible. But I've seen material that left the family due to financial circumstances and then makes a couple stops before someone realizes what it actually is. It might not have recently come from the estate of the original owner and the provenance becomes harder to establish.

Must be government records, no?

I find this mystery more interesting than the Omega

I have to say after carefully examining the new images from @Zoins ' post above: It's beyond impaired, and I wouldn't pay melt for it. It should be bought, cracked, and immediately smelted to put it out of its own misery.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

@Weiss said:
    I have to say after carefully examining the new images from @Zoins ' post above: It's beyond impaired, and I wouldn't pay melt for it. It should be bought, cracked, and immediately smelted to put it out of its own misery.

I feel the same way about the Statue of Liberty. She's so heavily oxidized that not even Acetone or MS70 could help. She should be melted for scrap.

Weiss, do you believe the medal has any Historical significance??
    If it is subsequently established that the medal is traced to the estate of General Pershing would you still advocate for it being melted??

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any documentation to support a mintage of 1?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a well-known, fairly common medal in bronze, and it's a shame that the ribbon and hanger are no longer with it. I haven't been able to find any evidence of a gold example being awarded, but will contact a friend who probably has some insight.

David McCarthy - Kagin's - IG: X_COINNERD_X

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

I would guess that since it is R-10, unique that it was only awarded to one individual. I'm pretty sure the WWI records are still fairly accessible - a lot of WWII records were burned in a fire.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭

I knew that medal looked familiar. It's been bugging me since yesterday. After searching my old emails I found that it was offered to me in the fall of 2015. At the time it was in an non-pedigreed NCS genuine slab. I see that the medal is still located in the same state (Florida) as it was back in 2015.

I had a hard time coming up with a value back then and I still am today. Having said that, I do think it's worth less than $10k.

edited January 25, 2020 10:28PM

@nencoin said:
    I knew that medal looked familiar. It's been bugging me since yesterday. After searching my old emails I found that it was offered to me in the fall of 2015. At the time it was in an non-pedigreed NCS genuine slab. I see that the medal is still located in the same state (Florida) as it was back in 2015.

I had a hard time coming up with a value back then and I still am today. Having said that, I do think it's worth less than $10k.

The price is down $18K from the March 2018 price to $45K or best offer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1919-20-HK-902A-SC-1-W-W-I-Victory-Gold-Medal-Ex-Steve-Tanenbaum-Collection/173231377293?

Nearly two years later and my opinion is unchanged. It should be smelted, and the used crucible crushed with a sledgehammer so it can't contaminate anything else.

--Severian the Lame

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file