Home U.S. Coin Forum

Let's have a GTG! EDIT: Grade posted.

FadeToBlackFadeToBlack Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 21, 2017 9:23AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Let's have a GTG! EDIT: Grade posted.

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• kazkaz Posts: 9,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS66

I like that rainbow arc on the rev.

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS63

Larry

• jedmjedm Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS66

66 here

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65

Look pretty nice.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2017 9:03PM
    MS62

Cheek marks rim gunk. Im going in low on this one. Slider territory 58-62.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65

I went 65, but I prefer it at 64+

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65

65/66

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64

MS64..... dings on obverse and reverse... minor scratches... focal area defects... Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65

Nice one!

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64

MS-64 Strike not sharp, too many hits.

• jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    MS65

I straddled 64/65 but went 65. Thinking the luster likely pops more than the image suggests. Cheek, despite minor marks is not scuffy and the strike is good imo.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2017 5:03PM
    MS64

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64

MS64

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64

Not my series.....just a grade based on other graded coins have seen.

• USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64

I'd go 64+ if it were an option

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64

I feel like we are being set up here somehow! :)

Watch it be a 58.

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64

nice dollar
    I agree it could be an AU58!
    Hard to see if there is a break in the luster!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2017 7:24PM
    MS65

MS 65.

The cheeks are pretty smooth and the coin has nice luster with some rim toning.

No visible luster breaks.

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭
    AU58

Very nice looking coin but I think it was in circulation for a very short time so I said a 58

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65

I voted ms65...and for an 83o, the strike is well above average IMO ;)

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 63.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
    MS64

I'm taking myself out of the running for this reason. I originally posted MS-64, too many hits and the strike was not all there. I put my personal grade on it which I now confess was totally dumb. I'm still stuck in the 1980's and 90's.

IMHO, there is not a TPGS or major dealer today that would grade this coin MS-64. It is graded MS-65 for sure! The strike does not matter as much anymore, color is "the in thing," and there are five more grade slots above
    MS-65.

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65

@Insider2 said:
    I'm taking myself out of the running for this reason. I originally posted MS-64, too many hits and the strike was not all there. I put my personal grade on it which I now confess was totally dumb. I'm still stuck in the 1980's and 90's.

IMHO, there is not a TPGS or major dealer today that would grade this coin MS-64. It is graded MS-65 for sure! The strike does not matter as much anymore, color is "the in thing," and there are five more grade slots above
    MS-65.

...I am curious why you think the strike is bad? For an early o-mint morgan, she looks almost hammered to me...I get that grading procedures sometimes change from time to time, but strike is strike...the OP's coin, I would call well struck...the ear is fully defined and the eagle and wreath areas are all there...at least to me anyways ;)

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65

@FadeToBlack said:
    Grade is 65. Imho, solid but not spectacular for the grade. I love these old NGC holders.

I agree. I appreciate those old no-line fatties even more than PCGS OGH's.

Your photography is really coming along. WTG!
    Lance.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Late to the party. I love the cheek and overall look/character of the coin. Looks like a solid 65 to me.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the slab shot. It shows the obverse of the coin well

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited September 21, 2017 8:58AM
    MS64

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:

@Insider2 said:

MS-65.

...I am curious why you think the strike is bad? For an early o-mint morgan, she looks almost hammered to me...I get that grading procedures sometimes change from time to time, but strike is strike...the OP's coin, I would call well struck...the ear is fully defined and the eagle and wreath areas are all there...at least to me anyways ;)

When I was learning to grade, unless a coin had full hair line detail (all the lines full & complete) over the ear (this coin does not) it could not be a Choice Uncirculated MS-65 (Note: these days "Choice" has become an MS-63 and "Gem" is used for MS-65). Therefore, graders were not concerned about which Mint the coin came from! Back then, there was no attempt by graders to put a value on a coin - only to describe its condition of preservation since being struck. They couldn't put a value on a coin anyway as none of them were coin dealers!

Back then MS-65 was the highest grade. A Gem" 1883-O with an impossibly strong strike was graded the same (MS-65) as a very weakly struck 1883-O coin missing the top of the ear and all the hairlines (also MS-65)! This did not "fly" in the commercial coin market so a group of dealers (who knew one was worth more money) started their own grading service to reflect reality. :) Let's see, I don't recall the name of that service but I think all this happened in the mid-1980's.

As you posted this is a very nice strike for New Orleans. These days, strike matters in a different way. About ten years ago, we started to see blazing original coins with much less hairline details than this coin graded MS-65 and up. The reasoning was that this is a coin from the NO Mint and they all come with a little weakness.

LOL, reminds me of how much we are returning to that old, obsolete, and hated "technical system" developed in the 1970's that didn't value coins. :wink:

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭
    MS64

When I guessed I assumed a PCGS graded coin. I would be surprised if this would grade 65 at PCGS. This coin IMO is a 64 at PCGS.

Joe.

MS64

@UncleJoe said:
    When I guessed I assumed a PCGS graded coin. I would be surprised if this would grade 65 at PCGS. This coin IMO is a 64 at PCGS.

Joe.

Let's take up a collection for the OP, crack it and send to our host. Interesting. In my experience all four major services are pretty close to their Morgan dollar grade (unless you get a "flyer" or something sold on TV! :(

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65

Should have a " insane comment icon"

• KoveKove Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭
    MS65

@FadeToBlack said:
    Grade is 65. Imho, solid but not spectacular for the grade. I love these old NGC holders.

Majority gets it right again.

Although I correctly guessed 65 from the straight-on photos, this tilted photo gives me pause.

In the second picture, I see cloudiness in the field in front of the nose, and I see cloudiness on the cheek over some of the tick marks.

This cloudiness may be evidence that the coin was thumbed prior to submission to dull some of the contact marks.

I would think CAC would pass on this coin for this reason.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2017 12:44PM

I would have gave it a MS64, due to the marks on the jaw line and neck.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
    edited September 21, 2017 12:52PM
    MS64

IMO, the cloudy patches (not the one between the "UM") will come right off leaving the coin more attractive.

IMO, the patch in front of the face was not done to hide marks as the marks in that area are lower in the field. Someone can argue about the patch on the cheek.

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the first shot, I guessed 65+. From the in holder shot, I think 64+

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64

What my vote was not recorded.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64

Well... I was low by one grade.... though not alone.... ;) To tell the truth, if I were on the bourse, and shopping for a Morgan...I would think this was over graded....not by much, so I would not mention it, but I would pass on it....This is not intended to be 'sour grapes'...and indeed, if I saw this in hand, I may not feel that way. Cheers, RickO

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65

MS65 The hits are small but there are too many for anything higher. Could be a 64 just as easy.

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65

Just looks like some haze to me in those spots and I agree it would come right off. Is it worth cracking out and resubmitting in doing so? I doubt it.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64

Shoot - had you told us NGC, I would have been in the 65 camp. :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65

I agree with the 65 grade.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65

It's an all around nice coin. I said 65, got lucky, but based it on the nice cheeky look. Too many dings (IMHOP) to go higher.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS66

I guessed MS-66 just to ensure the integrity of the bell curve. Someone has to do it.

Actually I only glanced quickly at the smaller pics. Had I first used the high resolution it would have been 65. If seen in person it might be a different number yet.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file