Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NGC is closed Monday

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 9, 2017 12:33PM in U.S. Coin Forum

MCM, NGC, and ICG are all ready for the big storm. NGC has a high storm rating on their building 3-4. Vaults in center of the building.
We have not had a major hurricane hit Sarasota in several decades. Even the Paleo-Indians must have known something.

I've always been more worried about PCGS falling into the sea when the "Big One" hits.

PS I expect to be off line for a few days with no power starting tomorrow. I'll miss fussing with everyone. >:)

Comments

• Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Stay safe Insider.

• Options

THANKS! <3

You just made this crusty old troll get very emotional.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

You live in Sarasota? That stinks.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm...sounds like a "crusty old troll" will have to come out from under the bridge for this one! Hope all will emerge safe and well.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stay safe.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I've got a friend in Tampa. He lives on a hill (rare in Florida, I know), and it'd have to flood 80 feet for him to get wet.

But he wasn't expecting the track to go over his house, now predicted to be cat 3 Monday morning.

PS I expect to be off line for a few days with no power starting tomorrow. I'll miss fussing with everyone. >:)

Yeah, stay safe. This probably won't be fun.

Or it might be. You never know. :)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2017 1:47PM

NGC will probably be closed for several days beyond Monday. The storm track has shifted to the west which is going make things worse than first anticipated.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stay safe!

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what happened to all of the coins in NGC's vault. Did they ship them out or did it leave them there?

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insider - I have a son in Sarasota. We are of course worried about him. We go down there every year around FUN show time.

Maybe we will meet sometime at FUN or even somewhere in Sarasota. Stay safe, It sure will be great when this is over.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stay safe and dry.

I hope the NGC vault is waterproof!

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stay safe Floridians! We just went through this in Tejas, Irm could be worse than Harve.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Per their website:

Hurricane Irma Preparations

Posted on 9/8/2017

Sarasota, Florida, office will be closed September 8-11. Select website functions have been temporarily disabled.

The Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) headquarters in Sarasota, Florida, will be closed Friday, September 8, through Monday, September 11, due to Hurricane Irma. Normal business operations are currently expected to resume at 8:45am EST on Tuesday, September 12. Check back at this page for updates.

Select Website Functions Temporarily Disabled: Verify NGC Certification, Verify PMG Certification, Verify CGC Certification and Submission Tracking have been temporarily disabled. These functions are expected to resume the morning of Tuesday, September 12.

CCG is housed in a secure, state-of-the-art facility that is built to withstand hurricane conditions. Collectibles will be secured in CCG's vaults, as always, and procedures are in place to ensure the safety and security of all collectibles in our care.

Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC), Numismatic Conservation Services (NCS), Paper Money Guaranty (PMG), Certified Guaranty Company (CGC) and Classic Collectible Services (CCS) are independent members of the Certified Collectibles Group (CCG).

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommy44 said:

That is one thing I will NEVER have to worry about. :)

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

5 PM CDT - Keep fingers crossed FLA - it seems that this storm has went westward, hugging Cuba, a bit more than they ever expected.

• Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:
    No idea why they disabled cert verification... Makes zero sense.

They must have their servers in that building and shut them down in the event of power loss and backup power failure. I would imagine if they have backup power, it would only run a few hours. Seems odd that they actually house their servers rather than use Amazon web services. This really could be a catastrophic event for them if their building is destroyed/damaged or power is out in the area for weeks or months. Their workers may not have housing. PCGS will be the only game in town.

• Options

@Nic said:

Only the infrequent hurricanes!

• Options

@tommy44 said:
    Stay safe and dry.

I saw them on a tour once. The shelves go all the way to the ceiling and nothing is stored below 3 - 4 feet if I recall.

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Realistically I would expect FCP to shit down the power grids shortly on a case by case basic and would expect 5m to be without power for several days. Would estimate 1m no power for 1 week and several hundred thousand stretching 1-3 weeks.

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stay safe

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stay SAFE Insider & BillJones and all other Floridians.

NGC wisely bailed from Long Beach as well. They didn't miss anything

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dbtunr said:

@FadeToBlack said:
    No idea why they disabled cert verification... Makes zero sense.

They must have their servers in that building and shut them down in the event of power loss and backup power failure. I would imagine if they have backup power, it would only run a few hours. Seems odd that they actually house their servers rather than use Amazon web services. This really could be a catastrophic event for them if their building is destroyed/damaged or power is out in the area for weeks or months. Their workers may not have housing. PCGS will be the only game in town.

I was thinking their web servers are cloud-based, but they must query DB servers on prem at NGC for cert data. Hence the cert lookups are the only services down.

• Options

Very interesting question. Now you got me curious. Unfortunately, that is something they probably would not reveal. I'm going over to the chat room now to see if it is up.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2017 7:08PM

@Justacommeman said:

m

Mark, glad you are safe. You witnessed an amazing quake.

• Options

Ditto this: "Mark, glad you are safe. You witnessed an amazing quake." And yet you can still think of Bill and me. :'(<3
    And a shout-out to CU member @Kkathyl who lives up the road to also be safe.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of my Redfield's are in that NGC safe right now. Safe wishes for all you Florida folks.

• Options
    edited September 10, 2017 4:32AM

Coin World's article, though it pretty much just mimics the press release:

coinworld: NGC closes operations as Hurricane Irma approaches, cancels Long Beach Expo trip

This will be the largest hurricane to hit Tampa in almost 100 years and is making landfall as a cat 4. (Will probably be a cat 3 by the time it gets to Tampa.)

Storm surges of 12', which will be devastating to the coastal areas. For instance, Everglades National Park is a million and a half acres, and the highest point in the park is 8 feet above sea level. Marco Island will be almost completely underwater, except for those hotels, and as someone pointed out, you can't board up those hotels. The place is going to look like a war zone.

This morning I heard landfall is right around Naples, with Sarasota and Tampa/St. Pete right in it's path. 140mph gusts. (Then it's back over the gulf, through the panhandle and up into Alabama.)

I think NGC might be entirely too optimistic that they'll be back in business by Tuesday. Their vault may be okay, but the infrastructure around it may be lacking for a while.

Edit to add: My friend in Tampa couldn't leave. He promised pictures if he can. :)

• Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

with the houses of workers destroyed and surrounding infrastructure, it may be months before they are back to full strength.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

m

Thank you for the concerns! B) I am in Georgia, but not by design. We went to Dahlonega, of all places, for a wedding last weekend. We are now with the bride's parents. The bride's honeymoon is partly in Vietnam. Yes, she and her husband are adventurous.

The storm will get here Tuesday, but, I hope, in a much weakened condition.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the models now agree, Irm is going straight up the western coast of Florida - between 3-4 winds and 5-15 foot storm surge in Sarasota and Tampa. I hope everyone there evacuated, stay safe...........

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 ...Stay safe.... and dry.... Get back online as soon as you can so we know you are well.....call someone and have them post for you...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be safe. I have parents in Homosassa (just north of Tampa). It's going to be a difficult time for Floridians. Best of luck and let us know how you are doing.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

Reported 130mph winds on Marco Island. Irma is about to make landfall off Naples.

ABC is still broadcasting from Naples and Fort Meyers. If you can get the feed, the images are incredible.

Did anyone see this pic? Irma sucked the water out of Tampa Bay this morning. (From Fox News.)

Good luck to all in the path. It's about to happen...

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just now got a tornado warning..Don't look good.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

stay safe

2003-present

1997-present

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

double post :#

2003-present

1997-present

• Options

Just heard from my buddy down in Tampa.

Still has power, no house damage, little debris in yard, and the only thing trashed last night was a bag of cookies...

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes Tampa fared better than many other areas, from what I've heard. If my power isn't back on soon I may head over there.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@Nic said:

Only the infrequent hurricanes!

Good. I live in Sarasota.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

They issued a press release that everything is safe. https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/6154/

There was a nervous nellie concerned about his items there: https://www.ngccoin.com/boards/topic/412002-dear-ngc-irma/

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm originally from Sarasota. I hope everyone stays safe down there!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file