Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My first CAC destruction...Anyone else?

CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just sent this in for secure reholder/trueview. I will lose the ugly CAC sticker, but I don't care. Let the coin speak for itself. stickers are for children anyway. Anyone else do this and not care?

Comments

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see it as a waste of money.

Larry

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd rather leave the sticker (it matters when you sell) and take my own photo or send it (with others) to one of the forum members that does professional coin photography.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post.

I have left a few stickers on the floor myself.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might regret your decision if you decide to sell the coin.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cracked several pcgs cac Indians for my dansco that were 1k +

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well if it CAC's once it should again right? Nice Texas BTW...

As a side note I would have left it and found someone to take some good photos...

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's a reholder don't you keep the same cert number, so it's just an admin thing to get the sticker back when you go to sell?

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

It will have the same cert no. I could theoretically have it CACed again. Probably wont though. Not a member.

I just love Trueviews. I believe a good trueview would be a better seller than a CAC if I sell online. Also I didn't pay any premium for that sticker. No loss to me.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I will lose the ugly CAC sticker, but I don't care. Let the coin speak for itself. stickers are for children anyway. Anyone else do this and not care?"

Me. You've put it perfectly. It's sad when the average collector can't tell if a slabbed coin is overgraded or not.

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

I am not active in submitting coins to third-party or 4th-party services. However, I agree entirely; if you cannot grade, learn to grade. It will save you money in the short or long term. Plus, if you need to know if it is eye-appealing, there is something wrong.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options

@skier07 said:

@skier07 said:

Why?

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we had (until now that is) NO CAC threads on the front page for a day or so. Refreshing? Withdrawals?

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on your viewpoint. If you're not selling anytime soon, why not?

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not just send it in for a regrade, who knows it might go up?

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@skier07 said:

@skier07 said:

Why

Because in general, if you're coin is CAC approved you'll get more money when you sell it. Me, personally, I don't like setting money on fire.

• Options

I'm not doing it to get rid of the CAC sticker. I'm doing it to get a trueview of the coin. It just happens to be a CACed coin. I dislike CAC, but I would not destroy it just for that purpose.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 9:15PM

@koynekwest said: "It's sad when the average collector can't tell if a slabbed coin is overgraded or not."

I've been playing with coins on a daily basis for a very long time - even before TPGS. All I'd like to add to this quote is in my experience the "average collector and very many coin dealers" cannot now and never have been able to grade! That's how really sad it is. They should all kiss the feet of the TPGS that protect them from the folks who can grade.

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gradually the stickers will be subjected to the coin inside the holder and questioned as to why they ever got a sticker. Then, eventually there will be so many coins questioned that the stickers won't matter anymore and get the auto "poo" when selling and the whole coin grading gimmick will have to start over again. Creating a new market in coins with a new group of coin weenies hoping they got the "right holder" "right sticker" "right market" etc..... and if you're lucky, you will be one of the ones who makes some money. Then you get bragging rights and get to repress all the thoughts of how much you paid all the times before. Therefore completing the market cycle and lying by omission of how much it truly cost you.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soldi said:
    Gradually the stickers will be subjected to the coin inside the holder and questioned as to why they ever got a sticker. Then, eventually there will be so many coins questioned that the stickers won't matter anymore and get the auto "poo" when selling and the whole coin grading gimmick will have to start over again.

It sounds a lot like what happened with the major grading services.

• Options
    edited August 29, 2017 9:01PM

@skier07 said:

@skier07 said:

Why

Because in general, if you're coin is CAC approved you'll get more money when you sell it. Me, personally, I don't like setting money on fire.

@skier07 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@skier07 said:

Why

OP is a collector not a flipper. Still a few left.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why send this in for reholder and trueview? The new holder itself reduces liquidity. Seems like that plus shipping while losing the liquidity of CAC and the older holder is a real money burn.

To each his own I guess.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2017 2:18PM

I would keep in in the older solid gasket holder with the Green Bean. You could always get someone who takes nice images if that is what you want.

I have heard that Phil will take images of you coin while it is still in the holder...then you to keep both; older holder and green bean.

Or you can have re-beaned for $3.00 plus shipping

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2017 7:16AM

@baseball said:
    An angel just cried in heaven.

Lol! Destroying a CAC sticker must be like making a woman cry.....God counts her tears and He will punish you. Ironic, as many think that John Albanese is godlike, anyway. ;)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@skier07 said:

@skier07 said:

Why

@skier07 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@skier07 said:

Why

OP is a collector not a flipper. Still a few left.

I'm a collector too, does that mean that I should be expected to actively devalue my collection. Most of us sell coins at times, doesn't make you a flipper to do so.

If the OP is happy, that is what counts. It's his money.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have several slabs that I peeled little green annoyances off of.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

__I have several slabs that I peeled little green annoyances off of.

I don't think I would go that far. if its there, might as well keep it, unless you have other plans like me.

Don't get me wrong I have several CAC coins that will stay there.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once again... the great sticker debate arises....I believe I will go to the range and shoot a few stickers... ooops, I meant targets.... :D:D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

never fired a gun in my life..pop a couple rounds off for me Ricko

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do it all the time when I send a coin in to PCGS for attribution or a crossover. No big deal.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2017 6:31AM

I am with DIMEMAN. When you cherry pick coins in holders with stickers, you need to send them in for attribution. Some we keep, some we resell. Obviusly the resale of an attributed coin on the holder is far more valuable when it comes to resale than an unattributed variety with a sticker. Variety collectors want confirmation the variety is correct and not that it has a sticker because the variety designation itself will create greater value than the sticker. But hey, if your in to stickers and you buy a variety from Jon or I, by all means, spend your money and send it back to get another sticker if thats important to you.

But in the OP's case, the question to ponder I think is whether the Trueview will can bring out the best of the coin which will overshadow the fact it has a sticker when it comes to sell. But if CommenKing is planning to keep his commemorative, he should do it any way it pleases him.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just sent this in for secure reholder/trueview. I will lose the ugly CAC sticker, but I don't care. Let the coin speak for itself. stickers are for children anyway. Anyone else do this and not care?

Seems like you have some mixed emotions. If you want the coin to speak for itself why is it okay to send to a TPG but not CAC? All for a trueview. I hate the fact that eventually we will only view coins on websites because viewing them in person seems to be fading away.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the cert. # is the same, it will still come up in the cac database as a cac approved coin, unless you send in proof that the cert. # changed, they would still link it to their approvals. Costs a few bucks to have them re-sticker.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

it does not matter to me at that point if i like the coin enough to purchase it. jmo

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chumley said: "Never fired a gun in my life..pop a couple rounds off for me Ricko."

You don't know how much fun you've missed! I regularly introduce new shooters (mostly women) into the fold. Start them off with a pellet pistol and the basics of safety & gun handling. After about an hour with a .22 they are hitting the bulls eye on a regular basis w/a 6" colt '38 Special and begging to shoot the 45! NO! Not yet.

Guns are fun. The more folks who are not afraid of them the safer our Second Amendment will be.

PS What does this post have to do with coins? Guns are collectable and the more of them you collect the less money is left for getting CAC stickers on your coins. :(

• Options

@FadeToBlack said:
    Stickers add value, that simple, because they increase the pool of purchasers available. If I die, I want my wife to be able to maximize the return on my collection for her own security. She knows the drill in the event of my death.

Stickers don't affect my opinion on coins, but I respect the added liquidity and premium that exists for them, and the additional safety they present for my potential inheritors. Being the main breadwinner in my family, in the event of my death, every dollar counts.

+1

• Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭

Everyone is entitled to collect what they want, the way they want. I have absolutely no problem with someone that collects differently and for different reasons than I do.

What I don't understand is the apparent need of the anti-CAC crowd to continually disparage those that embrace CAC coins. There are many reasons to want a CAC coin and not all of those reasons are necessarily financial. I don't want to pick on some of the individual posts above but some of them IMO are just way out of line, nonsensical and/or very narrow minded as to believe they know the "reason" why someone insists on a CAC sticker.

State how you like to collect without trashing someone else's way to collect and we would have a kinder, gentler message board.

Joe.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    I wonder how strong the linkage is between being an active CAC sticker ripper-offer and being a climate change denier.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    musstangrmusstangr Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Once again... the great sticker debate arises....I believe I will go to the range and shoot a few stickers... ooops, I meant targets.... :D:D;) Cheers, RickO

Hehe Ricko, you are a better shot than me if you can hit that bean at the range!

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I now have many platinum colored CAC stickers as the green coloring has worn off. They are truly a novelty to behold!!!

Reminds me of the old non colorfast PCGS green labels.

Fortunately most of my PCGS slabs garnered gold CAC stickers.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lord Marcovan must have an arsenal...........Don't we call him "the Holey One?"

A little OT, but I couldn't help myself.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2017 8:03AM

I would price the coin at 400 with sticker 350 without. It seems like a nice coin and Texas Halves a fav to inventory.

So getting it reholdered a no go for me unless holder damaged plus true view an additional cost. My iPhone takes great photos.

While it's a coin I would spend money to sticker if submitting batch I don't believe it's at a point in value I would see stickering as a strong need. Any stickering cost or premium paid on CAC coin is additional cost which has to be recovered by the business.

In purchasing any coin it has to both meet my standards and be an acquisition I can sell with reasonable chance of positive Gross Margin.

Pricing parameters for CAC can be subjective. The CDN has simplified it for USGTC and Early 20th Gold. A generic CAC 64 $20 Lib tracking on the bay recently brought exactly the CAC bid in the sheet.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand the logic of sending it in, however if you are happy then I am happy.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    I have several slabs that I peeled little green annoyances off of.

BLASPHEMY !!!
    Beezlebub will take you now. >:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file