• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few items I'm thrilled to add to my Dallas Cowboys collection

Stunning cards!

Mike
  • Options

@LOTSOS said:
    This is my first Tobacco Card. T51 Murad. Not hockey but it is of my alma mater. Cheap ebay buy but it is well centered. Since I have zero experience with cards of this time frame I was kind of surprised by the in hand look and feel. Anyone have an opinion on authenticity based on the scan or any quick tips on how to spot a fake with these?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Hiya Kevin

Sorry I missed your question - very nice card.

The T51s were printed around 1909 I believe and those would be "chromolithographic" printings.

Get out a 10X or better and look at the print dots - they shouldn't look like the "organized" print dots of modern offset printing - they will look like little irregular "islands" of ink - sort of like amoebas. If you see organized print dots? Then it's fake - I doubt anyone would bother with a card like that.

Next, if you have a black light, you can shine it on the border - white stock in that era will not iridesce - around the late 30s paper companies started to put "photo brighteners" in paper and material - so when you hit them with a black light - they turn a bluish color in the dark (iridescent effect).

Mike
  • Options

Incredible Clemente and Jordan also!

Mike
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2017 6:21PM

Mike,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. It passes the black light test and looks as you describe under 10x. I like the amoeba reference!

I didn't think anyone would spend the time, energy or money to counterfeit this card but wasn't sure if there were ever reprints made.

Really cool looking Jackie. I'm clearly not a baseball guy but I love the look of those '50 Bowmans. And that card in particular is fine example!

Thanks,
    Kevin

Kevin

• Options

Mike,

Thanks

My pleasure Kevin.

Mike
  • Options

Wow slow month! You guys are all waiting to drop some sweet national pick ups I'm sure. The thread was about to fall off page one so I figure I'd add some hockey.

These four are all part of my '70s Sabres team run. (not sure is that the right way to describe it?) I'm putting together a run of Topps and OPC Sabres cards from 1970-1979. Well what ever its called here are four new additions.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options

Geez Kevin - those are incredible!

Color, centering, gloss, corners - the best. Really nice pickups buddy.

Mike
  • Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked these up recently. Have a PSA 9 2011 Bowman Chrome Mike Trout Draft #101 on the way too.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭

Mike that's a killer.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easily my worst investment card ever as I completely misdiagnosed its rarity in nice condition but had to have a 10 for my collection.

Very happy to add this one to my collection.

• Options
    edited July 14, 2017 10:31PM

Cool card. I definetly smell what you're cooking.

Obviously it didn't come in a Tuna can so how was it issued?

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    edited July 14, 2017 11:03PM

Thanks for the kind words Mike & Prgsdw.

That Hillman cracks me up. On His 71 Topps & OPC his head was pasted onto a goalies body. In 72 it looks like they glamour shot him. Even compared to the Croszier the photo on that card is sharp. It feels like his eyebrows are coming at you.

b> @dictoresno said

Those two Judge cards are cool. Sorry I don't know baseball but are those Heritage? Every Heritage card I've see here looks fantastic. I would love a hockey product like that.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:
    Cool card. I definetly smell what you're cooking.

Obviously it didn't come in a Tuna can so how was it issued?

Kevin

The Dwayne Johnson comes from the 1994 Miami Bumble Bee set that was a give away at a Miami Hurricanes game. It also includes a card of Ray Lewis and Warren Sapp. There was only one graded by PSA when I started hunting the card down years ago and submitting them to PSA. At first it appeared they were very tough in high grade. A few years later a large stash of uncut sheets surfaced and flooded the market and the prices came down significantly. I probably lost at least $1,500 speculating on the card. Not the end of the world but most of my pics resulted in profits. I still have a BGS 9.5, a signed copy, a PSA 9 and now this one so you never know the losses might mount up more! LOL

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tremendous ups to Sean (vladguerrero) for consummating a deal away from fleecebay. Seeing as VG was my fav player for a good 15+ seasons, I'm rather jubilant to add this bad boy before he enters the Hall next year. This is actually his coveted BB refractor, so it may take a trip to Chicago in a couple of weeks.

Also wanted to show how this card arrived. I had never once seen one of these velvet holders prior to today, and I'm here to tell you it is as cool as the other side of the pillow. I really dig the flip window!

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2017 1:56PM

@LOTSOS said:
    Thanks for the kind words Mike & Prgsdw.

That Hillman cracks me up. On His 71 Topps & OPC his head was pasted onto a goalies body. In 72 it looks like they glamour shot him. Even compared to the Croszier the photo on that card is sharp. It feels like his eyebrows are coming at you.

b> @dictoresno said

Those two Judge cards are cool. Sorry I don't know baseball but are those Heritage? Every Heritage card I've see here looks fantastic. I would love a hockey product like that.

Kevin

Those are Topps Archives. I love the throwback looks. The bottom one is a bazooka.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

My father who just turned 78 brought this board game up to play. Is pig tossing appropriate for the sports category Mike?

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2017 3:00PM

I picked up my 1st 1986 Merchante Spanish 163 Michael Jordan card. It is particularly special for me as it just arrived in the USA for the first time directly from the seller who lives in Spain. It was fun to open the package with my 5 year old daughter showing her where Spain is on the globe and how the card likely traveled. It is definitely a beater but that is ok with me in this case.

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

Some great pickups shared by everyone so far this month. Too many to call out everyone but a couple on this page I have to shout out to:

Stephen, congrats on the Vlad auto pick up. I definitely think it is worth getting that in a red flip. Love to see some collector to collector transactions too! BTW, I had one of those graded card coozies before too and they are pretty cool. I don't think mine had a PSA logo on it though.

Dave, that Merchante Jordan is a true rarity. Getting that card in a PSA slab with any number grade is a victory. I have not ventured out to pick up any of the Merchante cards in my collection thus far but your pickup may just inspire me to do so someday. Very cool you were able to share the pickup with your daughter too!

Steve
  • Options

My father who just turned 78 brought this board game up to play. Is pig tossing appropriate for the sports category Mike?

I'm the game board collector Dave - are you asking me?

Answer: sure! It has "tossing" - it has "rules" - and is potentially - totally - politically incorrect - sign me up!

Mike
  • Options

Hiya Dave

On the Jordan card - sweet!

Mike
  • Options

So glade to get this, fantastic eye appeal.

• Options

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

What a great Gehrig! Congrats!

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Halos2002Halos2002 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

Nice Gehrig!

• Options

Wow!

What a great card for a 2.

Plus in the world of Goudeys? The centering is spot on.

One of the nicest cards I've seen in a while - congratulations on your pickup - sorry don't know your first name.

Mike
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an amazing Gehrig card with great corners and centering. Assume there is paper loss on the back which accounts for the PSA 2. That is my kind of cards. Congrats!!

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Picked this one up for my Tigers collection:

• Options

Very nice card with great centering Kirk.

Mike
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Very nice card with great centering Kirk.

Thanks!!

• Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

Recently picked up this card, which had been eluding me.

• Options

Got these back today...

• Options

I picked this up for $19.52.

1989 - 50th Anniversary of the Baseball Hall of Fame Pin.

I'm in the process of finding an article listing who was in attendance - Yaz, Red Schoendienst and Bench were inducted that year.

Mike
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2017 6:59PM

Very nice auto cards.

Why the Lewis card - just curious?

Mike
  • Options

I always thought it was a cool card to have him sign. I've probably had it over 30 years in my collection...

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

This Ted Williams was delivered today.

I don't do much with modern cards. The 1999 Leaf Rookies and Stars Statistical Standout die cut set is one that I started in 1999. The cards are serial numbered to one of the player's stat. The lowest is numbered to 5 and the highest is 86. I have been looking for the Manning for quite a while. This one popped up on eBay a few days ago listed by Burbank Sportscards. They are usually high on their prices but this on was at a price I could live with. It is numbered to 26. I think this gets me down to needing 2 to finish the 25 card set.
    James

• Options
    SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

With the current price dip, I added some more 86 Fleer to my existing collection. Here is the Ewing that was delivered. Also added a 1951 Ringside (11 cards away from finishing the set, #7 on registry) and a Mantle.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2017 4:01PM

My first slabbed card and first current player.

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

What a coincidence...

• Options

Congratulations Bob!

Mike
  • Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2017 6:52AM

Great cards everyone!! That Gehrig is SWEET!!

Been working on adding some Curry Rookies to my collection and excited to have landed this Exquisite Gold !

• Options
    SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

I hate Curry, but that is a great card. Nice pickup!

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options

Cool Curry!

The flip got me thinking about UD Hockey flips. I don't ever think I've seen a card noted as a "parallel". I'm going to have to go look to see if I've just missed it or it's missing.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options

I could find baseball and basketball but no Hockey. Hmmm?

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

A surprise purchase at 415. I was expecting 600 plus.

• Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

@GoDodgersFan said:
    A surprise purchase at 415. I was expecting 600 plus.

could buy some serious crablegs w those type savings!