Home U.S. Coin Forum

Untoned Stripe Toners

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 17, 2019 12:34AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here are a few from a single collection I just ran across. Any idea what would cause the untoned stripe? A thick rubber band?

The collection was slabbed at the same time and look like they range from 84032002 to 84032012.

Here's another that has a similar but different look:

Comments

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tape/Ribbon/Strap/Band ...something that was used to hold them in place in a holder, possibly for display. It could be that they were even in the same style holder together, especially because of the similar color toning and untoned section.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

First 3 were almost certainly a tab holder.
    I don't have a picture, but there were pics posted years ago (8-12 years ago or so, most likely).

Question, and pics like you posted, came up a few times back then.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2017 5:42AM

Here are two that I used to own. I got them at an antique mall. The woman selling them told me that her grandfather had given her for her 21st birthday a plaque that was covered with velvet and he had 21 Morgans taped to the velvet spelling out the number "21". I grabbed a few of the nicer ones. Most had gone to a terminal black tone. I have experiences that velvet will cause some crazy and somewhat quick toning. The untoned portions of the coin are where the tape was used on the coin. It basically prevents the contaminants in the velvet thus cause portions of the coin not to tone.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tab holders or tape will product that pattern on coins. As mentioned, they likely were all kept in the same storage method due to similar tarnish. Cheers, RickO

• chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

masking tape is my guess

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tab holders will give a similar effect, but to have such sharp and uniform lines makes me think these were not in such holders. Also, I just don't like that color blue on such a range of coins with these lines. Apparently, PCGS thinks they are A-OK, but that doesn't mean I would buy them or accept them.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Tab holders will give a similar effect, but to have such sharp and uniform lines makes me think these were not in such holders. Also, I just don't like that color blue on such a range of coins with these lines. Apparently, PCGS thinks they are A-OK, but that doesn't mean I would buy them or accept them.

Actually, PCGS graded all 11 coins 91 Questionable Color.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

let my opinion go in one ear and ...

I agree w/PCGS on these. The "doctors" came up with the O'l "Tape across coin" look. I don't wish to help them perfect the alteration so I'll just say "removed tape toning" does not look like this.

BTW, rubber band toning of any reasonable amount of time to react, etches the surface.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

And this one is an actual scotch tape toner...

The more you VAM..
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2017 10:04AM

Nice example. Looks like the GLUE RESIDUE left inside the coin's recesses helps to confirm the originality!

EDIT:

PS I'd like a closer look at the NGC dollars just posted also...

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@TomB said:

Actually, PCGS graded all 11 coins 91 Questionable Color.

I feel better about PCGS now that I know they were kicked out as QC91.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Old Thread Update

Just ran across the following PCGS MS64:

Bump

Just ran across this one :)

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Bump

Just ran across this one :)

These are starting to look like Easter eggs!

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

These are starting to look like Easter eggs!

Reminds me of a Van Halen album

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one is cool (not my coin):

peacockcoins

• If anyone is selling tape/tab toners, I’m always a buyer for them. Currently working on a couple collections of that type of toning. Feel free to DM me if you want to discuss or have any available

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tape.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Butteredfatkid said:
    If anyone is selling tape/tab toners, I’m always a buyer for them. Currently working on a couple collections of that type of toning. Feel free to DM me if you want to discuss or have any available

Ok, one batch of tape toners coming up! What colors do you prefer? 😜

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this one is NT and on a date you normally don't see these tab/tape toners.

edited January 27, 2022 8:51AM

Looks like a lot of these may come from First Coinvestors albums which @Lakeshore1 posted in this thread. Given that these are albums, it seems correct to say these are NT:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1070224/untoned-stripe-toners-on-morgans-one-source#latest

• jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

• coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still have a First Coinvestors First Year Morgan album I bot a while back on EBAY. Had the 7TF Rev 78, CC, and S mint coins. Have the CC and S in my Dansco. The CC has a slight tab tone and luckily for me the best of the bunch. The S was pretty beat up but a nice Vam17a. The 7TF was probably a 62.

edited July 26, 2022 8:29AM

@Zoins said:
    Just ran across the following PCGS MS64:

Just ran across this coin again. It's a pretty striking coin so I'm not surprised it stopped me in my tracks a second time around!

This looks like it may be one of cstergion's coins now, an avid collector of JFK Halves!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/cstergion/profile/43679

• WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

How's this one? It's a little different :)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mother sent a friend and I to pick up an antique night stand in the mid 60's. We got it home and couldn't get the drawer open. Well, after several techniques that failed, I pried the drawer open and it had some junk in it, including a Peace dollar with a red ribbon lying across it and it was toned similar to the OP's. Don't remember the date, but Mom wouldn't let me have it, said it was her profit on the table purchase. Have no idea what she ever did with it. But a lot of coins were toned in wooden containers and I imagine many had items lying across them, suchas ribbons, envelopes, magazines, small boxes and the like.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
    edited January 30, 2023 11:08PM

Here's one I just ran across:

Slab photos courtesy of Monster Toned Coins (monster_coinz)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file