Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1965 Frank Robinson PSA-10 Pop 1/1 in PWCC Auction...

Comments

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

I'm someone who looks at a ton of W-2s each year. There are plenty of instances where larger W-2s do not equate to increased common sense.

• Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

@Planemonkey said:

Hi, Derek.

Whoa, calm down, man.
    I'm just joking.
    You guys, I really like
    your guys' setup up here.

What is your problem, man?

My problem? I don't know.
    I don't have a problem, Dale.
    Actually, I have the opposite
    of a problem:
    I made over 550 K last year.
    How much did you make?

• It's not about money.

• No, it's not about money.
        Well, for me,
        it's a little bit about money...
        ...and I made
        that much money last year.
        I am the VP of the biggest...
        ...executive-helicopter-leasing
        company on the Western Seaboard.
        Okay? I haven't had a carb
        since 2004.
        Check these out. See these?
        See these boys?
        This is what I live with.
        Every day I lather this up
        with Kiehl's in the shower.

im deeeerek and i can sing hi-e-igh-e-yi!!!

• Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:
    Don't let this distract you from the fact that if you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you may be entitled to financial compensation

its my money. i want it now.

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2017 9:59AM

@Dpeck100 said:

W2 statement in response to having no common sense no. Your W2 if your an employee is your >score card or report card and in the real world it matters.

I was referring to your common sense only on the subject of sniping vs bidding early. If you think your W2 is proof that early bidding is superior to sniping, then all someone would have to do is find someone richer than you that thinks that sniping is superior to prove you wrong, right?

It's not like there's a huge difference between the two bidding methods, but there is a difference. And it won't come into play in every auction. Maybe in just a small percentage of them.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think any form of bidding is superior to another. The notion that if one doesn't snipe for an online auction they are doing themselves a disservice is just laughable. I have tried every form of bidding. Big early bid, string bidding to look like a shill, double stack, triple stack, ten bid stack, major bid with a day to go, major bid with an hour to go, major bid with 5 minutes to go, major bid with 30 seconds to go, and a major final bid with seconds to go. Literally any form you can think of. It doesn't matter. What matters is who else wants it and how high they are willing to go.

I have worked in the financial services industry since I was 21 and for the same bank. Outside of inherited money I have never met a wealthy person that I was surprised they had been so successful. One of the benefits of working with people and their money is you get to know some very talented people and it's no coincidence they have gone on to great success. My goal everyday is to try and do the same. Saving your money month after month and year after year takes hard work, sacrifice, and discipline. It's a long journey this route and the toughest path to wealth. The vast majority are business owners that have a major liquidity event to go along with larger income years where they pack it away.

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:
    I have tried every form of bidding. Big early bid, string bidding to look like a shill, double stack, triple >stack, ten bid stack, major bid with a day to go, major bid with an hour to go, major bid with 5 >minutes to go, major bid with 30 seconds to go, and a major final bid with seconds to go. Literally >any form you can think of. It doesn't matter.

That's nonsense. You're saying that every auction that you bid $100 on (an early bid) will end with the same winner at the same amount had you instead bid $100 at the last second??? That's crazy.

• Options

@mlbfan2 said:

@Dpeck100 said:
    I have tried every form of bidding. Big early bid, string bidding to look like a shill, double stack, triple >stack, ten bid stack, major bid with a day to go, major bid with an hour to go, major bid with 5 >minutes to go, major bid with 30 seconds to go, and a major final bid with seconds to go. Literally >any form you can think of. It doesn't matter.

That's nonsense. You're saying that every auction that you bid $100 on (an early bid) will end with the same winner at the same amount had you instead bid $100 at the last second??? That's crazy.

We will just agree to disagree on this. Later.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@TheMick said:
    I have a secret strategy that I will now reveal for the first time ever. It's guaranteed to work every time. Sometimes, I use the buy it now and for some reason, I've won every single time. It never fails.

60% of the time it works 100% of the time!

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe in the case of Ric Flair magazine cards big bids work better in the case of pop 1 PSA 10 Frank Robinson's being auctioned by PWCC I see sniping being the best option. Hard as hell to shill a snipe days before an auction ends

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

@rexvos said:
    Maybe in the case of Ric Flair magazine cards big bids work better in the case of pop 1 PSA 10 Frank Robinson's being auctioned by PWCC I see sniping being the best option. Hard as hell to shill a snipe days before an auction ends

The guy who was the "idiot" for bidding early also sniped with four seconds to go.

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:

The guy who was the "idiot" for bidding early also sniped with four seconds to go.

Yeah, he smartly saved his max bid for his snipe.

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

FWIW, snipes or no snipes don't really matter if consigners and/or their friends/agents are not prevented from bidding

Dave
  • Options

@Dpeck100 said:

@rexvos said:

I guess he read this thread and wised up.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

@rexvos said:

@Dpeck100 said:

@rexvos said:

I guess he read this thread and wised up.

Yeah I think your right. The sooth sayers convinced him to bid the entire time, bid again with minutes to go and then bid with seconds to go. Just as everyone suggested he should. Definitely took the boards advice.

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:

What does your W2 say about your common sense? just wondering

Self made millionaire by 38. Plenty have more but plenty more have less. No help from real estate either. That says a lot about my common sense.

Congrats bro but what do you bench?

Kevin

:D:D

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

"Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes".... Jack Handey

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

This is particularly good advice if the one you are criticizing can bench press something really big

Al
  • Options

I have to give DPeck some credit though, both referencing his W2 and posting his bicep pic (which he seemed to have at the ready if the need arose) has made me a believer in a few things

• Options
    edited June 10, 2017 8:07AM

@rexvos said:
    I have to give DPeck some credit though, both referencing his W2 and posting his bicep pic (which he seemed to have at the ready if the need arose) has made me a believer in a few things

Oh there are plenty more where that came from! From the flex Friday collection! Haha

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rexvos said:

+1

Don't know what is funnier or sadder. Someone judging their self worth based on a W2, or having a bicep selfie on file posing in their car. Might have to go to the gym to work on my bench so I can bench press Dpeck's W2 :D

• Options

@KendallCat said:

@rexvos said:

+1

Don't know what is funnier or sadder. Someone judging their self worth based on a W2, or having a bicep selfie on file posing in their car. Might have to go to the gym to work on my bench so I can bench press Dpeck's W2 :D

There is nothing sad about me waking up every day trying to kick a$$ both physically and financially.

• Options

And just so you know, I took that pic to celebrate Trump's victory and to say America was stronger on that day.

• Options
    CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

+100

Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2017 5:22AM

@CSUrunandstun said:
    +100

A little different crowd I see here. It was easily one of my most liked Facebook posts ever.

I can't recall another day where I walked around with a smile on my face the entire time. It was great!

• Options
    bobmoatbobmoat Posts: 257 ✭✭

Sad!

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Just bid what you are willing to pay, when it is convenient for you, and move-on to bigger and more important things in life.

• Options
    edited June 11, 2017 9:24AM

@Dpeck100 said:
    And just so you know, I took that pic to celebrate Trump's victory and to say America was stronger on that day.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mlbfan2 said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    My answer to those who cry about people making mistakes is that if you can't follow the simple rules, you can go elsewhere to bid on/buy collectibles. The system is broken and the fix is simple................bid retractions not allowed, non payers and retractors banned FOREVER.

Yes, people will still get around my solution, but doing nothing is just stupid.

I think we'd all like to see that. But you're thinking about it from the side of an (honest) bidder. Put yourself in ebay's shoes. What would be ebay's motivation to ban people that retract bids? Yes, there are cons to allowing bid retractions, but there are pros too. Certain things can get you banned from ebay quickly, while other things will barely get you a slap on the wrist. My guess is that bid retractions mean more money for ebay in the long run, so that is why there is little or no punishment for doing it.

I'm not sure in the long run ebay is going to benefit from ignoring the problem.

I was bidding in auctions listed by sellers in Sports Collectors Digest long before ebay existed. I noticed that I was winning a LOT of auctions at EXACTLY my "top all" bid. When ebay came along I immediately stopped bidding on the SCD listed auctions.

Ebay makes plenty of money on the vast majority of auctions where there are no retractions. Allowing retractions as they currently do encourages fraudulent bidding and the choice should not be to allow it in order to make a few more dollars, but to eliminate the problem and try to retain honesty and integrity in their system.

The dealers that awarded me their items at my "top all" bid no doubt thought the same way. They could have let me win a couple of auctions here and there at just a little below my highest bid and I would have only suspected a bit of foul play, but when you get too greedy, you run the risk of losing more than your principles, you can lose customers.

If bidders refuse to bid on items with retractions or retract their bids immediately upon a single retraction, ebay might see the error of their ways. Or are we just as greedy as they are?

Too bad we are getting out of the habit of just doing the right thing.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@Cakes said:

@vintagefun said:
    I think it's time to start the 7 Day Reserve - Best Offer Program. Simply state the lowest price you'll accept and take hidden offers for 7 days. At the end of 7 days, the card goes to the highest offer over the reserve. No notifications of "you're not the highest offer", but maybe a view of how many qualifying offers have been made. This way shady folks can't run it up. And while yes, you may pay well over the next highest offer, you're only offering what you're willing to pay and have no need for snipes, etc. Make an offer and wait it out.

I'm sure it's a flawed idea, but I've been stewing on it for a while as these auction formats have largely stopped working, aren't policed in any real meaningful way, and are starting to kill the hobby.

Vintage, I like your thought process on this and it would work well for most of us however I could see how a power user that has a lot of auctions running would get frustrated with managing bids.

I like your thinking here Vintage. This could be an option for those high end items that seem to draw retractions, OR once a retraction has occurred.

By the way, why can't a seller determine if he wants to list an item with no retractions allowed? Ebay should look into this, they could even charge a fee for the option, that way they would be making money as well!!!!!!!!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@bobmoat said:
    Sad!

Your right Bob. Anytime I need something I just go out to the money tree in the backyard and > @MULLINS5 said:

Just bid what you are willing to pay, when it is convenient for you, and move-on to bigger and more important things in life.

Nice work Patrick! Now that Kermit has some guns his chances of landing Miss Piggy have skyrocketed!

• Options

Why don't you goofy guys stop. Some of us would like to offer solutions and ideas.

Another thought I had is that ebay is already losing money with their retraction policy. Anyone with a high value item or collection is going to use an auction house to avoid all this foolishness.

Do you think the seller of the above mentioned Robinson card wishes he had done that?

I would NEVER consider selling my collection on ebay.

• Options

Don't know what is funnier or sadder. Someone judging their self worth based on a W2, or having a bicep selfie on file posing in their car. Might have to go to the gym to work on my bench so I can bench press Dpecks W2!

There is nothing sad about me waking up every day trying to kick a$$ both physically and financially.

None of the posters in this thread said anything about having an issue with trying to succeed physically or financially. Many just think it is funny that someone in a hobby where people buy cards and spend $10-20k like it is nothing is boasting about his W2 to define his worth in life, or someone with enough of an ego that he already has photos of himself flexing in his car. Cannot make this stuff up. Best laugh I have had all weekend!

KC

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2017 4:16PM

Love this board and community. Hope to meet a lot of you all at the national

• Options

From the second I started posting here people have made fun of me. It's never stopped. Obviously I don't care.

In terms of bragging about income. There are plenty of people that will read this post that make money that makes my income look like chump change. That said there are 99.9% of people my age that make less and have saved less. I have no reason not to be proud of that fact and when you challenge me and say I don't have common sense your getting an uppercut thrown. And it landed.

• Options

And in terms of ego. If you think a pic of me flexing my arm is the end all be all you haven't seen anything. Been getting hated on by dudes for 25 years. Same song and dance no matter what it is. Just going to keep working on them and flexing.

• Options
    edited June 11, 2017 7:10PM

@Dpeck100 said:
    I have no reason not to be proud of that fact and when you challenge me and say I don't have >common sense your getting an uppercut thrown. And it landed.

Where did it land, W2?

• Options

@mlbfan2 said:

@Dpeck100 said:
    I have no reason not to be proud of that fact and when you challenge me and say I don't have >common sense your getting an uppercut thrown. And it landed.

Where did it land, W2?

Now we have a boxing thread? Could not stop laughing thinking about Mike Tyson's punchout when I saw the uppercut threat - I guess "your" in big trouble mlbfan!

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Inspired by this thread I bid strong early on two auctions. I'm pretty sure they ended at 3 month highs with me not winning. Oh well. I lose most auctions anyway.

• Options

"Have you noticed how much boxing has in common with the ballet. Except there is no music, and no choreography....and the dancers hit each other".... Jack Handey

Al
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2017 8:25PM

@bishop said:

This is particularly good advice if the one you are criticizing can bench press something really big

Had to do chest on Friday instead of the obligatory "Monday is universal bench press day" since I am out of town on business. Hopefully I have worked up enough to bench press some W2's on my 4th set :D:D

• Options

Maybe it's a bad angle but that 405 looks like you would need to be Manute Bol to un rack it. If you work out with 405 more power to you. It would squash me.

• Options
    edited June 12, 2017 5:02AM

Kendal Cat it's been a few months but aren't you the same guy that got busted lying about having one of your Mantle's reviewed by The Crisser. I am almost positive it's you. If it is you, I agree with him if you weren't part of the clique a few of these clowns would have gone for your throat.

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options

Hogan is a good shape there. Sorry I don't have any double bicep pics to post for you guys to admire.

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.