Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

American Eagle 20th Anniversary Platinum Proof Coin

nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭
edited July 10, 2017 10:07AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Celebrate the 20th anniversary of the American Eagle One Ounce Platinum Proof Coin
Return of Thomas D. Rodgers’ Eagle soaring above America design
99.95% platinum

Item Number: 17EJ
Mintage Limit: 10,000
Product Limit: 10,000
Household Order Limit: 1

https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-eagle-20th-anniversary-platinum-proof-coin-17EJ.html?cgid=product-schedule

Comments

• Options
    FellintoOblivionFellintoOblivion Posts: 280 ✭✭✭

That's a terrible depiction of the SoL.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. $1350 if it went on sale today I believe. Melt + $400 or a 42% premium. Seems a bit stiff.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad they just rehashed an older design.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the same mintage as last year's coin. That one in my opinion had a better design and yet is selling for issue price or below. I doubt the 2017 will have much success, unless of course it sets the new low mintage from all the people not buying. :D

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

How long will it be for sale until it sells out? About an hour?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    How long will it be for sale until it sells out? About an hour?

Dunno, I don't think there are really 10K collectors of this series. Might be the 20th, but there's nothing special about the coin. Perhaps they should have saved the 2015 reverse for the 20th...

As U1chicago says, last year's is selling below issue price. That markup really hurts. If the flippers stay away, it could be a tough sell.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible design. I loved the last 2 years, but not so much on this one. Pass. Doubt it is a quick sellout.

• Options

Yes, it is as bland as boring as a near "spouse" design can get.
    I may get last years again, at a bargain price!

• Options
    edited June 7, 2017 2:03PM

It might sell out, but I wouldn't count on that happening.

Here is what the coin has going against it:

*1 per household, so the big buyers can't scoop up a bunch of the mintage

*Repeat design....I know that others like the gold eagle and silver eagle keep the same design, but platinum coins (at least for proof and burnished issues) are known for having new designs every year. It's what helps set this series apart from the others.

*For 1 oz proof platinum, 10,000 is a lot! Only 6 years are at 10,000 or higher (1997-2000, 2011, and 2016 ...2002 is close to 10,000).

*Flippers were burned by the 2016 (if they didn't sell right away) and that coin had a design that most people liked.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass. Both the obverse and reverse designs need replacing.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    FellintoOblivionFellintoOblivion Posts: 280 ✭✭✭

@Overdate said:
    Pass. Both the obverse and reverse designs need replacing.

The reverse looks like the symbol of some random private mint.

The obverse straight up looks like a man.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was really all they saw fit to do? Spell it "D-I-S-R-E-S-P-E-C-T"....LOL

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@7Jaguars said:
    That was really all they saw fit to do? Spell it "D-I-S-R-E-S-P-E-C-T"....LOL

Yeah, after 2015/2016, you would have thought they would have had something great for the 20th anniversary. I mean I get the idea of going back to the original design from 20 years ago, but it's pretty plain considering the previous two years.

Of course, it would hardly do to have the Platinum Proof be more critically accepted than the Mint's signature 225th anniversary product on the gold coin and silver medal.... :wink:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am surprised they have not changed the design.. the plats have been interesting the past few years. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2017 1:53PM

@U1chicago said:

When I see 1 per household, I think it's only the big buyers that can scoop up a bunch ;)

• Options

@Zoins said:

@U1chicago said:

When I see 1 per household, I think it's only the big buyers that can scoop up a bunch ;)

They can certainly pay a bunch of people to buy for them, but it's not as easy and a lot more costly.
    Plus my guess would be that most of the big buyers also realize there won't be too much profit (outside of PR 70s).

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Let this sit a few months with dismal sales numbers and the HHL comes off ! BUT there is no flipability for this uninspiring recycled design.

I don't want this. Will Anyone? Under any Circumstances?

Sad. Really sad. Smells like incompetence at play, here.

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

I can already see these being confused with the bullion coins in 5 years. That's what they'll be worth when it comes time to sell.

• Options

Unfortunately, this was my least favorite design to begin with so with the recycled nature and the ability to buy last year's at less of a price I see no reason to indulge.
    On the positive side, I am waiting for the Beast series to put out the dragon in platinum!

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    Unfortunately, this was my least favorite design to begin with so with the recycled nature and the ability to buy last year's at less of a price I see no reason to indulge...

I recently sold my 2016 Pt Proof at a $200 loss. Fortunately, my 2015 Pt Proof was a big winner.

No more Pt for me. Which means it'll probably revisit historic highs next year.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sounds like the Mint is going to have difficulty selling more than about 5,000 of these, considering the price and design. It's not like there's that many 1 oz. Proof Plat collectors still hanging around.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Yes, thumbs down for a coin that further dilutes their overall product.

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

bump

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

The saving grace for the plats in this period of plummeting plat pricing has been the innovative designs. This election of the bullion design is a mark of institutional laziness or impasse, IMO. Too bad.

Yet still they're electing to price this coin way beyond melt for platinum.

Despite all of that, I'm getting one. I've always been a fan of the platinum series, and will stay true...until I don't.

• Options

You are a true loyalist, DPoole!
    I just can't do it to myself with so many other attractive options in Platinum.
    Now with the Palladium, I am in and and all in.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:

What is the story with Palladium? Are there going to be Palladium coins? Now that would be an exciting entry in our collections!!!

• Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

The reverse designs are usually very attractive. They had to pick the most blandest one, didn't they?

• Options

@Onastone said:

@MilesWaits said:

What is the story with Palladium? Are there going to be Palladium coins? Now that would be an exciting entry in our collections!!!

There are rumors of a release at some point this year but nothing official yet.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

I expect we can get these for about $900 on eBay in a few months. Bwahahaha.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2017 9:06PM

I don't know. As a coin, any of recent UK designs look better than a bird on a kabob. As an investment, I would rather take my chance on penny stock.

• Options

@AmazonX said:
    The reverse designs are usually very attractive. They had to pick the most blandest one, didn't they?

This is the original reverse they had on the first issue. Flashback for the 20th anniversary, donchaknow.

Not in. Not a platinum guy, the only two pieces of plat I have are the '15 & '16 APE proofs, and never cared for this reverse. Especially after the '15 and '16...

• Options

Since I actually collect the series, I guess I'm obligated to buy one today, but I'm still thinking about it. With my poor track record submitting these to PCGS, I'm not 100% sure which entities I want to support.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

30% premium over spot is too high in a declining spot market.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options

Not sold out yet?

• Options
    Coin crewCoin crew Posts: 15 ✭✭

Lol,

• Options

I haven't tried yet. Is the site jammed? :)

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Coin crewCoin crew Posts: 15 ✭✭

smooth like butter

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Not sold out yet?

I walked right in, was given a latte and a foot rub. Not another soul in the room. :)

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like the downplay here while those in the buy are quietly buying them up

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

This is a tough purchase.... (holds nose and clicks... the close button). Not buyin' today. I'll get it already graded at a later date.

Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah, I would rather have a nice Saint for that kind of money. I'm still turned off after dumping the last one at a loss.
    But to each their own.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options

@ScarsdaleCoin said:

So you bought one?

Having a hard time finding anyone who did, except for the single example of someone who is sure this is going to be a good flip and bought two... Lord help him...

• Options

@U1chicago said:

@Onastone said:

@MilesWaits said:

There are rumors of a release at some point this year but nothing official yet.

The law is on the books to produce the coin and they've done the test strikes.

Nothing stopping it from being another 225th entry...

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure it's a nice coin in hand but it's an uninspiring design.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ScarsdaleCoin said:

Not sure if serious...

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Platinum hit $899 early this morning per ounce. Why pay $1,300 for an old tired design. I have been collecting them and have no interest in this at all. I expect anyone trying another flip will end up with a big belly flop.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 44% premium to melt could make this one the key to the series!

• Options

But fortunately we have YEARS to buy....

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Numismatic bet? Nope -- 10k mintage is too high.

Bullion bet? Nope -- better pricing on non-proof, especially from Austria, Britain, Canada, others.

My Experience: I recently had to sell my 2016 Proof APE. Beautiful coin, 10k mintage. $1355 new. But nowadays, big dealers typically offer spot + $100 for 2016 Proof APE. Eventually sold to small dealer for $1100 at a Show.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone see how many 2017 Proof Platinum coins have been sold so far?

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file